Promising Juniors Thread.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Goal kicking might be a problem next year unless someone can "come from the clouds" to take a spot.

Once the Board knew we'd not have Zac next year the priority needed to be to find a decent goal kicker. I dont see anyone in either Flegg or Ressies with the ability.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Imagine being a Dragons Tragic in the heart of Eels territory in the 80's
Yeh can imagine. 'Ok kid behind the sheds after school'. Takes me back to the late 60s when I first started supporting the Dragons in boarding school against my older brothers wishes as he happened to be a mad Eels supporter and both clubs were bitter rivals at the time.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That's my almer mater, Patrician Bros Fairfield. Imagine being a Dragons Tragic in the heart of Eels territory in the 80's 🤮
I was in a similar position in Gold Coast. At the time, most people used to support Broncos. Which was sad but also justified because at the time, the Gold Coast team was based at the southern tip of the Gold Coast, in NSW. But anyway, I was very young when Broncos had half the Aus team and 3/4 of the QLD team and St George were second best pretty consistently.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

TOO BIG, TOO STRONG

The commentators at the Australian Secondary Schools Championships said it best when Jacob Halangahu got his hands on the ball in Coffs Harbour on Thursday. Too big and too strong, they declared. He certainly was. The NSW Combined Catholic Colleges (NSW CCC) back rower was standing wide from a scrum and bulldozed his way over the line as his side eliminated the NSW Combined Independent Schools (NSW CIS). Halangahu signed an upgraded deal with St George Illawarra at the end of last season which will see him be part of the extended Dragons next season.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

TOO BIG, TOO STRONG

The commentators at the Australian Secondary Schools Championships said it best when Jacob Halangahu got his hands on the ball in Coffs Harbour on Thursday. Too big and too strong, they declared. He certainly was. The NSW Combined Catholic Colleges (NSW CCC) back rower was standing wide from a scrum and bulldozed his way over the line as his side eliminated the NSW Combined Independent Schools (NSW CIS). Halangahu signed an upgraded deal with St George Illawarra at the end of last season which will see him be part of the extended Dragons next season.
Anyone know how long the upgraded deal is for?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

BIG TIME PLAYER

Some players just have it and that is the case for inspiring second rower Jacob Halangahu, a defensive monster who eats post contact metres for breakfast.

In important matches you need your big players to step up and it appears Halangahu relishes that responsibility, the Patrician Brothers Blacktown enforcer renowned for producing top tier performances when it matters most.

The dynamic left edge forward was both the SG Ball Cup grand final and City, Country Under-18s man of the match earlier this year before producing a terrific knock in the semi-final against Queensland.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I cant believe how many medals and championships and trophies this kid has gotten this year.. its going to be a real shift for him soon though, just get back into the weekly train and grind of flegg or nsw cup football.. no more trophies just hard work.. definitely gets me excited though, but I reckon hes going to be a prop.. like lazarus kinda body and just run thru the line to get our sets going.

Do they go on to play NZ or something, any dates on that?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I cant believe how many medals and championships and trophies this kid has gotten this year.. its going to be a real shift for him soon though, just get back into the weekly train and grind of flegg or nsw cup football.. no more trophies just hard work.. definitely gets me excited though, but I reckon hes going to be a prop.. like lazarus kinda body and just run thru the line to get our sets going.

Why not a backrower?
Now it's only a matter of Flanno giving him a chance before his old journey-men who no other club wanted.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Either/or, just depends how big he gets, you'd think 18-22 he would fill out a fair bit though.

Tbh he has barely played a game of flegg all year to even assess how he's going in a higher grade, I can't believe how many weekends he's been at rep events.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Either/or, just depends how big he gets, you'd think 18-22 he would fill out a fair bit though.

Tbh he has barely played a game of flegg all year to even assess how he's going in a higher grade, I can't believe how many weekends he's been at rep events.
I know it's been said over and over but I think there is truth to the comparison with David Fifita.
I don't expect he will or should play first grade this year but good ol Flanno and his journey-men..... He might not get a chance until he goes to another club.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
I know it's been said over and over but I think there is truth to the comparison with David Fifita.
I don't expect he will or should play first grade this year but good ol Flanno and his journey-men..... He might not get a chance until he goes to another club.
He shouldnt be playing 1st grade this year or next, he has just basically come out of playing SGBall and had a few games in Flegg and playing Schoolboys, let him mature playing against older harder guys before we throw him to the wolves, fans are just going to need to be patient, we have a great crop comomh through, but are atleast 2 years away minimum.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg

He has won heaps, hopefully it continues when he hits NRL, he is happy at the club, even dating one of the young NRLW girls...
Not sure who they play and when, im sure Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan will have that info.
Also Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan what's the vibes with all the juniors are they happy to be there, excited where the club is heading, are the "external" juniors happy they choose us...

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
He shouldnt be playing 1st grade this year or next, he has just basically come out of playing SGBall and had a few games in Flegg and playing Schoolboys, let him mature playing against older harder guys before we throw him to the wolves, fans are just going to need to be patient, we have a great crop comomh through, but are atleast 2 years away minimum.
Shouldn't this year but he'll be 19 next year. Lots of 18~19 year-old forwards have been getting picked and doing fine in first grade. I'm not saying he should. Judging by the continued non-selection of Ryan C, he won't but I wouldn't rule it out.

I remember people were saying this a few years ago with Amone, Sullivan, Blacker, Sloan.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
He has won heaps, hopefully it continues when he hits NRL, he is happy at the club, even dating one of the young NRLW girls...
Not sure who they play and when, im sure Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan will have that info.
Also Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan what's the vibes with all the juniors are they happy to be there, excited where the club is heading, are the "external" juniors happy they choose us...
I feel like the question is for 12 months time.. winning the SG title, not to mention the steelers girls success.. like its a sweet spot for us.. it will be hard from now I think when the excitement goes down and the reality of the mountain in front becomes reality.

The good thing about Latu and Tonga is they are doing the step up very easily.. which means they can be moved up.. plus they are Top30 next year also.. the others still have the mountain, Halangahu is yet to knuckle down and play against 21yr olds regularly to see if he can go up against men.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

As i have said he was never expected to play Flegg this year.
He still has Schoolboys Cup to play and like last year I expect Patties to make the GF.
Now it also looks like he will have Australia Schoolboys games v PNG and France.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Halangahu is the interesting one for me, just cause hes just that bit younger (despite all the awards)... he could do SG Ball again next year... and then onto Flegg I guess... bit like guys like Stanley-Traill and Reed + Meafou for the Steelers...

But lets see how big Halangahu is in 12mths time.. as to how fast he moves up.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
You are not going to keep all juniors happy, different pathways different contracts etc.

Finau and his family have moved to the Gong and we have signed his sisters to pathways. The whole family is happy, Finau sister had a baby last week and the little fella is already wearing a Dragons jumpsuit.

Jake and his family are moving to the Gong next week and his brother Luka has been signed to pathways.

Loko is also loving it I've spoken to his family and they are happy with the way we have looked after Loko.

Jesse is still in contract discussions hopefully that is sorted before years end.
Jesse is very talented he sings and also plays piano.