SGI NSW Cup

2024 ASSRL Nationals cause shock rankings changes​

#5 Jacob Halangahu​

• State: NSW CCC
  • Position: Lock/back-row
  • Affiliation: Dragons
  • School: Patrician Brothers Blacktown
  • Previous rank: 10
There are shades of David Fifita about Halangahu’s playing style and power, and he proved more than a handful throughout the week. He starred in the final and the Dragons look to have a long-time first grader on their hands. Well deserved Australian selection.

#6 Kade Reed​

• State: NSW CHS
  • Position: Halfback
  • Affiliation: Dragons
  • School: Illawarra Sports High
  • Previous rank: 18
Reed was one of the big movers after leading the NSW CHS side into the finals. The Dragons half was ranked 18th before the carnival began but his kicking game and class were a real feature. Unlucky to miss out on Australian selection.

Disappointed for Reed. That massively overrated Bulldogs halfback went from 1st to 7th but still got selected for Aus Schoolboys. I know from personal experience (not myself but someone I know) when it comes to the top level of schoolboys rep games, to have patrons in high places can get you selected. The vast majority of the best NRL players weren't selected in the Aus Schoolboys side.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
When I look at Jr Saifiti, its so hard to know if he makes it to NRL level, like it must be 1% of kids have a near complete toolkit at a young age, most of them have something, in this case a mean running game and strength for his age.. is he then in years to come, turn that into a good defensive reads, good in the air, low errors and on top of all that.. a body that doesnt get easily injured.. like god knows right.. same with Williams.. he has some tools that could make him a 10yr winger, but nothing is a guaranteed... To'o really is an anomaly.. but agree its great that kids under 6 feet see its possible.

This is the development game ofcourse.. its nice that we have competition for spots now.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think you guys are a bit harsh on Mitchell Woods, hes clearly a talent for his age, hes not the first one in an U19 origin game to be a bit selfish, they all get carried away.

I think Kade is a year younger (I can never keep track of them all), but I think next year is his year.. he will go through SG ball again, and if hes good enough make rep teams.. still a long way to go but I think he has the tools, just has to keep developing them. I assume he would be eligible for schoolboys again next year? Guessing he will be 18 or maybe 19...

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I think you guys are a bit harsh on Mitchell Woods, hes clearly a talent for his age, hes not the first one in an U19 origin game to be a bit selfish, they all get carried away.

I think Kade is a year younger (I can never keep track of them all), but I think next year is his year.. he will go through SG ball again, and if hes good enough make rep teams.. still a long way to go but I think he has the tools, just has to keep developing them. I assume he would be eligible for schoolboys again next year? Guessing he will be 18 or maybe 19...
I only saw him in the SG Ball GF when he was average and the U19s Origin game where he had a shocker. Not many mistakes just wouldn't pass the ball. And going from 1st to 7th suggests he is overrated.

Anyway, I think Dragons are happy to have Kade Reed.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
When I look at Jr Saifiti, its so hard to know if he makes it to NRL level, like it must be 1% of kids have a near complete toolkit at a young age, most of them have something, in this case a mean running game and strength for his age.. is he then in years to come, turn that into a good defensive reads, good in the air, low errors and on top of all that.. a body that doesnt get easily injured.. like god knows right.. same with Williams.. he has some tools that could make him a 10yr winger, but nothing is a guaranteed... To'o really is an anomaly.. but agree its great that kids under 6 feet see its possible.

This is the development game ofcourse.. its nice that we have competition for spots now.
Junior Saifiti has sent me a few messages seems like a good kid.
Comes in at 178cm 83kg.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Both 18 this year so another year of SGB
Both in year 12 so no Schoolboys next year.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Dingo returned to Qld, he is with the Western Clydesdales now.
Be interesting to see who the dragons halves will be next year, it is weird having the 2 teams split.. but it probably benefits us overall with 2x the players getting opportunity to step up.

Steelers have Reed & Fitzgibbon for SG next year (if fit).. pretty good combo.. like very good..

Dragons I dunno.. Hammoud is maybe too old?

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Be interesting to see who the dragons halves will be next year, it is weird having the 2 teams split.. but it probably benefits us overall with 2x the players getting opportunity to step up.

Steelers have Reed & Fitzgibbon for SG next year (if fit).. pretty good combo.. like very good..

Dragons I dunno.. Hammoud is maybe too old?

Dingo will probably come back down, I think he has another year of SGB.
We have local boy Riley Bannock good half and goal kicker.
We also signed Jasais Ah Kee from Penrith but I think he has another year of Matts

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Bummer another unwanted halves junior? If so I have a love /hate relationship with our recruiters. Hate at the moment. :mad:
⬇️Probably come back down but how many young halves do we need?
We also signed Jasais Ah Kee from Penrith but I think he has another year of Matts

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Good news then as we may not have lost him after all.
Have seen some brief footage of Riley and Jasais. Is Riley in Ball next year. Jasais has a brother also in the Matts side if not mistaken. Both from Penrith eh, also St Pats boys?

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
but how many young halves do we need?
Plenty so we can choose the best for our future. Tikanau (dingo) holds a premiership, how good is that on the resume. Besides do you want another 7 years of a Hunt clone. I know I dont. This club has been in limbo since he came.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
The chances of a talented young halfback making it to more than a handful of NRL games has to be less than 5%.. not only do you need to be incredible yourself (in attack and defence), but ur expected to lead a 1st grade side too. Gould often says its between 25to28yrs old when a playmaker peaks... sometimes 30.. someone like Sean Johnson.

I know there have been a couple of absolute freaks in Cleary and hopefully Katoa also.. they kind of skew our views on whats possible... Walker is another of those freaks, and even hes had 4yrs of first grade now before he finally looks sorted... but hes also doing it behind the best pack in the comp.

The point is that we cant just assume Reed or Ward are it, we always need a competitive first grade side, and they have to be good enough to force their way in.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
we cant just assume Reed or Ward are it,
Thats what I said so keep as many on your books with promise as possible as one just may be that freak you talk of.
we always need a competitive first grade side
Havent had one of those since Widdop left and a game managing halve like him is what will make you competitive.

Last edited: