Recruitment and Retention for 2025

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It just keeps getting better

Wallabies star Carter Gordon set for code switch after signing with Gold Coast Titans​

Wallabies five-eighth Carter Gordon has sensationally switched codes to the NRL and signed with the Gold Coast Titans. Gordon becomes the second player from the Wallabies World Cup squad of last year to sign with league, after winger Mark Nawaqanitawase signed with the Sydney Roosters.

The 23-year-old playmaker was coming off contract, and after his Melbourne Rebels club was axed from next year’s Super Rugby Pacific tournament by Rugby Australia his future had been subject to much speculation. While the NSW Waratahs had hoped to lure him to Sydney, Gordon has opted to make the transition to the NRL with a two-year deal, which rules him out of next year’s British & Irish Lions tour.

A 23 year-old 5/8. Hey Flanno, don't forget we need a 5/8 as well. After all, you said Kyle was signed to be a hooker.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
This is going to upset a lot of people. I'm upset as well. Flanno should be using this year and next to some good, young halves. But no, too much for him.

Ben Hunt set to sign one-year extension with St George Illawarra Dragons​

Coach Shane Flanagan has revealed he will meet with Ben Hunt to finalise a new contract for 2026, with an extension now a formality.​

The hunt for Ben is just about over – and it will have historic ramifications. Over a “feed” in the next fortnight, Dragons coach Shane Flanagan will meet with star halfback Ben Hunt and wife Bridget to finalise a new contract for 2026.

Both parties are comfortable with the club’s direction and a one-year extension is now a formality. The final layer in negotiations will be money but Flanagan is aware what Hunt is worth and will pay it.

Flanagan will more likely meet with Hunt after the Queensland champion returns to Wollongong after State of Origin II in Melbourne on June 26.
An official announcement could be just a fortnight away.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

Wallabies star Carter Gordon set for code switch after signing with Gold Coast Titans​

Wallabies five-eighth Carter Gordon has sensationally switched codes to the NRL and signed with the Gold Coast Titans. Gordon becomes the second player from the Wallabies World Cup squad of last year to sign with league, after winger Mark Nawaqanitawase signed with the Sydney Roosters.

The 23-year-old playmaker was coming off contract, and after his Melbourne Rebels club was axed from next year’s Super Rugby Pacific tournament by Rugby Australia his future had been subject to much speculation. While the NSW Waratahs had hoped to lure him to Sydney, Gordon has opted to make the transition to the NRL with a two-year deal, which rules him out of next year’s British & Irish Lions tour.

A 23 year-old 5/8. Hey Flanno, don't forget we need a 5/8 as well. After all, you said Kyle was signed to be a hooker.
Pretty obvious now, deserved or not, Flanno is doing everything he can to keep Kyle around.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg

Does he have any Rugby League experience?
Don't see why its a negative for us

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Does he have any Rugby League experience?
Don't see why its a negative for us
Don't know and it's not by itself but why are they signing 5/8s when we are stuck with Kyle who was on the NRL scrapheap until his dad came in a signed him to play hooker?

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Don't know and it's not by itself but why are they signing 5/8s when we are stuck with Kyle who was on the NRL scrapheap until his dad came in a signed him to play hooker?
Why are they signing 5/8's, who cares, if they're relying on him to be their saviour they're in big trouble, from what i can see hasn't played Rugby League so will be a gamble.. Kyle is doing OK better than Amone ever did, Club is still looking for a quality half, if not Kyle will do in the short term.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Why are they signing 5/8's, who cares, if they're relying on him to be their saviour they're in big trouble, from what i can see hasn't played Rugby League so will be a gamble.. Kyle is doing OK better than Amone ever did, Club is still looking for a quality half, if not Kyle will do in the short term.
I agree with that but I think Kyle is playing about as well as Amone did. Amone is much more talented but Kyle trains and tries much harder.

But I also agree it looks like Flanno is doing all he can so that Kyle is more than a stopgap measure.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I think Amone was very disappointing. Kyle doesn't have many shockers because he doesn't do much. Rarely takes the line on, breaks a tackle and etc. Kicking is average to poor. Tries hard is defence but legs tackles. So if it's close to the line one on one other teams score.

But what I'm pissed about is every team looking to Rugby or ESL to fill gaps in the roster except us.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
To me this is nothing but an admission by Flanno that he has no plan or idea how to fix our halves problem. Not now and not in 2 years from now.
It's all about protecting Flanno's favourites. And we all know who his absolute favourite is. Bird second, Hunt third.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
It's all about protecting Flanno's favourites. And we all know who his absolute favourite is. Bird second, Hunt third.
Just on Kyle, in my view it could be worse. He's probably on a minimum wage or not much more than that. I watched the Parra - Grubs game last Monday. Parra's 5/8 Brown is on almost a mil a year. I haven't watched many of their games but I'd prefer Kyle on FA than Brown on almost a mil a year based on the games I've seen him play this year. Looks like an Amone who can tackle a bit better. Gets the ball, jumps around on the spot and is then tackled and that's it.

But one of the things I keep banging on about, to take us to the next level, need a good playmaker/ball-player at half or 5/8. Don't have that now. Also one more good, big prop and at least one more speedy outside back. That's all I'm asking for. Not too much is it?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Just on Kyle, in my view it could be worse. He's probably on a minimum wage or not much more than that. I watched the Parra - Grubs game last Monday. Parra's 5/8 Brown is on almost a mil a year. I haven't watched many of their games but I'd prefer Kyle on FA than Brown on almost a mil a year based on the games I've seen him play this year. Looks like an Amone who can tackle a bit better. Gets the ball, jumps around on the spot and is then tackled and that's it.

But one of the things I keep banging on about, to take us to the next level, need a good playmaker/ball-player at half or 5/8. Don't have that now. Also one more good, big prop and at least one more speedy outside back. That's all I'm asking for. Not too much is it?
I've seen Brown for the Eels play a few blinders. Have you ever seen Kyle have a blinder? I wonder if he has ever gained a Dally M point.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I've seen Brown for the Eels play a few blinders. Have you ever seen Kyle have a blinder? I wonder if he has ever gained a Dally M point.
On his money, he'd better play a few blinders. Moses definitely carries that halves combo. Hunt doesn't so much carry Flanno, just the much more senior partner. The first half of the Penrith game was as bad as Flanno gets but in the second half he was ok and that was without Hunt.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Cook the Souths hooker who has been in and out of first grade this year? What? Surely not.
Yep and the sound is getting louder , didn't want him when he was a young bloke but now that he is in his twilight years after him on a 2 year deal ....... Not sure about this one would rather the younger Liddle ........ If its to give Liddle a rest throw the QLD SOO hooker there when needed .......

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Yep and the sound is getting louder , didn't want him when he was a young bloke but now that he is in his twilight years after him on a 2 year deal ....... Not sure about this one would rather the younger Liddle ........ If its to give Liddle a rest throw the QLD SOO hooker there when needed .......
WTF is going on with this club? Are they trying to ruin it on purpose?

Eric

Staff
He ticks all Flanno's boxes.
  • Can't lock down a first grade spot in a team below us on the table.
  • Has played for multiple clubs.
  • Is at the end of his career.
  • Would help Souffs with their salary cap problem.
So of course Flanno is all in.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Has the POS signing been confirmed?
No. Just Flanno proving how smart he is compared to us idiot fans. Put the news out there to get us used to the idea. Deny the rumour in the face of the uproar. Then quietly confirm it. Flanno is so smart🤡. Fooled us all.