Recruitment and Retention for 2025

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
He ticks all Flanno's boxes.
  • Can't lock down a first grade spot in a team below us on the table.
  • Has played for multiple clubs.
  • Is at the end of his career.
  • Would help Souffs with their salary cap problem.
So of course Flanno is all in.
If they sign Cook but let JDB go, that'll do me. I'll still support the team but there won't be anything Flanno can do other than ritual suicide to get me on board with his vision🤡:poop:.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
If they sign Cook but let JDB go, that'll do me. I'll still support the team but there won't be anything Flanno can do other than ritual suicide to get me on board with his vision🤡:poop:.
It's reached the point where the board has to impose some kind of cap on players over 30 in the top 30. Or a cap for the median age. Probably wouldn't work because Flanno would still send JDB on his way but sign Cook. Maybe a cap on the number of players over 30 who have been at the club for 2 years or less.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well I still have some insight in how a teams makeup is required to make it a success. I have been saying since I joined this forum that we will struggle to make the 8 because we lack size in our bookends. Well this is what our coach said today:
“THE BALL’S IN HIS COURT” SHANE FLANAGAN HOPEFUL OF KEEPING JACK DE BELIN

By Liam O'Loughlin
2 hours ago
nine.com.au

Shane Flanagan is adamant he wants experienced forward Jack de Belin to remain at the Dragons, despite increased interest from rival NRL clubs.

The 33-year-old remains unsigned for next year and beyond, despite producing some of the best football of his career over the opening three months of the season.
De Belin has expressed his desire to remain a one-club player, but reports surfaced over the weekend that South Sydney were interested in signing him for 2025.

However, Flanagan is hopeful that de Belin will put pen to paper on a new deal soon.

"We're in negotiations with Jack and we want to keep him at the club," the coach told SEN Radio on Wednesday.
"The ball is in his court at the moment - but I would like to think that he does stay.
"We've put an offer towards Jack and I'd like to think in the next week or two, we will get something resolved."
De Belin has averaged 129 run metres and 31 tackles per game this year for the Saints, while also crossing for two tries as the side battle for a finals spot.
The likes of Francis Molo, Jaydn Su'A, Moses Suli and Tyrell Sloan have all inked long-term contract extensions in recent months, but the club has been reluctant to offer de Belin more than a one-year extension to remain in Wollongong.

Instead, the Dragons are pursuing a "big bopper" as Flanagan hopes to continue turning the club's roster around and transforming them into a genuine title threat after missing out on marquee enforcer Addin Fonua-Blake.
"That's exactly what we need - unfortunately we missed out on him [Fonua-Blake] and he went to the Sharks and that hurt, losing one to them," Flanagan said.

"We'll be out in the market, we definitely need one more big bopper. I think our forward pack has done a really good job this year, but we're probably one short.
"It's a tricky one - we are out there at the moment and there's not a lot of good players that will come off-contract. Sometimes it's the players who are on contract but clubs might be looking to move him, that's the way the market works these days.
"We've got to keep our ears to the ground and we'll be working hard to make sure that we improve our roster again next year."
Flanagan has helped lead the Red V to seven wins already this year, with a crucial clash against Manly on Sunday afternoon potentially pushing them into the top-eight.

See old retired reserve grade coaches from the 90s still have some idea.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Well I still have some insight in how a teams makeup is required to make it a success. I have been saying since I joined this forum that we will struggle to make the 8 because we lack size in our bookends. Well this is what our coach said today:
“THE BALL’S IN HIS COURT” SHANE FLANAGAN HOPEFUL OF KEEPING JACK DE BELIN

By Liam O'Loughlin
2 hours ago
nine.com.au

Shane Flanagan is adamant he wants experienced forward Jack de Belin to remain at the Dragons, despite increased interest from rival NRL clubs.

The 33-year-old remains unsigned for next year and beyond, despite producing some of the best football of his career over the opening three months of the season.
De Belin has expressed his desire to remain a one-club player, but reports surfaced over the weekend that South Sydney were interested in signing him for 2025.

However, Flanagan is hopeful that de Belin will put pen to paper on a new deal soon.

"We're in negotiations with Jack and we want to keep him at the club," the coach told SEN Radio on Wednesday.
"The ball is in his court at the moment - but I would like to think that he does stay.
"We've put an offer towards Jack and I'd like to think in the next week or two, we will get something resolved."
De Belin has averaged 129 run metres and 31 tackles per game this year for the Saints, while also crossing for two tries as the side battle for a finals spot.
The likes of Francis Molo, Jaydn Su'A, Moses Suli and Tyrell Sloan have all inked long-term contract extensions in recent months, but the club has been reluctant to offer de Belin more than a one-year extension to remain in Wollongong.

Instead, the Dragons are pursuing a "big bopper" as Flanagan hopes to continue turning the club's roster around and transforming them into a genuine title threat after missing out on marquee enforcer Addin Fonua-Blake.
"That's exactly what we need - unfortunately we missed out on him [Fonua-Blake] and he went to the Sharks and that hurt, losing one to them," Flanagan said.

"We'll be out in the market, we definitely need one more big bopper. I think our forward pack has done a really good job this year, but we're probably one short.
"It's a tricky one - we are out there at the moment and there's not a lot of good players that will come off-contract. Sometimes it's the players who are on contract but clubs might be looking to move him, that's the way the market works these days.
"We've got to keep our ears to the ground and we'll be working hard to make sure that we improve our roster again next year."
Flanagan has helped lead the Red V to seven wins already this year, with a crucial clash against Manly on Sunday afternoon potentially pushing them into the top-eight.

See old retired reserve grade coaches from the 90s still have some idea.
Ball is also in Flanno's court to make a good offer. I increasingly dislike Flanno but if the only problem with Jack is the length of contract, I'll have to agree with him. Jack is at the age where he should be happy to sign contracts a year at a time.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
He ticks all Flanno's boxes.
  • Can't lock down a first grade spot in a team below us on the table.
  • Has played for multiple clubs.
  • Is at the end of his career.
  • Would help Souffs with their salary cap problem.
So of course Flanno is all in.
Flanno is going to say, "We need him to mentor Kyan Hjaltason" which is complete BS. We have one of the best hookers in the world to do that. Liddle is ok as well. How many "mentors" do we need?

And don't forget Flanno said Kyle was signed to play hooker.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Cook loves Souths. Good, stay there. Would have loved you to come back to the Dragons 5 years ago or if the coach 10 years ago (Price?) could see your potential but too late now. If Souths are under salary cap stress, Dragons will gladly take a couple of their good young players.

Eric

Staff
Peter O'Sullivan was all but signed but looks like we have tripped over at the finish line again.
If he wanted a mil a year or something like that, maybe club was right to say, "no thanks". What's Browny doing these days? Always thought he'd make an excellent recruitment manager.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
If he wanted a mil a year or something like that, maybe club was right to say, "no thanks". What's Browny doing these days? Always thought he'd make an excellent recruitment manager.
Brown has moved to the Gold Coast, agree he would make an excellent recruitment manager, i would give him a gig as our QLD talent scout.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
I would says so they would be in constant dialogue with the coaching staff etc on what players to chase, who to extend and a thousand other things, too hard to do over the phone/zoom etc, not the same, recruitment manager would have his connections in country towns, other states, but i would give Brown a roll as our exclusive talent scout in QLD

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I would says so they would be in constant dialogue with the coaching staff etc on what players to chase, who to extend and a thousand other things, too hard to do over the phone/zoom etc, not the same, recruitment manager would have his connections in country towns, other states, but i would give Brown a roll as our exclusive talent scout in QLD
For sure! Pay him not too much to travel around SE QLD and Northern NSW making contacts, doing deals.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Peter O'Sullivan was all but signed but looks like we have tripped over at the finish line again.
He has been highly sought after for a long time now. Maybe this is an opportunity to find very good new recruitment manager. I'm not sure what it takes to do the job but I think it's much easier than a head coach.