Recruitment and Retention for 2025

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
No room for him next year, Cook and Liddle will be our 9's and we wouldn't waste a top30 spot for him , considering he can only play hooker and personally i don't see much in him, and i don't see him coming here for anything less than top30, he isnt the type of player for fans to get angry or upset that we didnt sign him.
Agree. Again, I'm not worried about the club missing out on him. It's the idea of Flanno hiring so many players other clubs want to get rid of. Every club has a few but if Saifiti signs, next year we will have:
  • RFM
  • Eisenhuth
  • Flanagan
  • Cook
  • Saifiti
  • Brown
to a lesser extent because I think they had one or two other clubs interested:
  • Leilua
  • Bird

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Agree. Again, I'm not worried about the club missing out on him. It's the idea of Flanno hiring so many players other clubs want to get rid of. Every club has a few but if Saifiti signs, next year we will have:
  • RFM
  • Eisenhuth
  • Flanagan
  • Cook
  • Saifiti
  • Brown
to a lesser extent because I think they had one or two other clubs interested:
  • Leilua
  • Bird
Comparison with other clubs would be interesting. This is probably wrong because I don't know about their rosters but:
Melbourne have Katoa and Meany.
Penrith have ............. the centre who is in and out of first grade. Filling in on the wing or in the centres in case of an injury. Can't remember his name.
Roosters have ............ you could say Keary. Souths didn't want him though it was a long time ago.

So Dragons have more than those 3 teams combined. Yet, is in salary cap trouble so Ryan Couchman can't play first grade.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Comparison with other clubs would be interesting. This is probably wrong because I don't know about their rosters but:
Melbourne have Katoa and Meany.
Penrith have ............. the centre who is in and out of first grade. Filling in on the wing or in the centres in case of an injury. Can't remember his name.
Roosters have ............ you could say Keary. Souths didn't want him though it was a long time ago.

So Dragons have more than those 3 teams combined. Yet, is in salary cap trouble so Ryan Couchman can't play first grade.
Keary isn't included. He might have been let go by Souths but when he last came off contract, you can be 100% sure there would have been a lot of clubs interested in his services if Roosters didn't re-sign him before that.

lestweforget2010

SGI Junior League
I'm hearing rumours about the potential signing of a young 18-year-old hooker Jaxon Allen out of the Roosters juniors. Maybe a replacement for Damien Cook once he eventually retires? Would love to know everyone's thoughts on this move from Flanno.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I'm hearing rumours about the potential signing of a young 18-year-old hooker Jaxon Allen out of the Roosters juniors. Maybe a replacement for Damien Cook once he eventually retires? Would love to know everyone's thoughts on this move from Flanno.
Singed that 18 year-old Bulldogs hooker only a few weeks ago.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Good point.

I know this kid has played fullback and 5/8 at schoolboy union level so maybe it's a bit more of a playmaker utilty pick?

Do you have stats on that bulldogs hooker?
I don't. Bulldogs jnr highly regarded. That's all I know.

Signing highly regarded juniors is a good move no matter the position. They say you can pick the best players and fit them all into a team.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Trent Barrett ruling out moving Talagi for the remainder of this season citing what a good, loyal servant Gutherson has been. He's doing us a favour or is that bad of a coach? There is no room for sentimentality Trent. Gotta do what's best for the team and if I were Baz, that would be to move Talagi to fullback and Gutherson to wherever. Even NSW Cup captain coach.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Haven't heard anything about this.
I believe Jaxson is with Titans group, I'll ask David on the weekend.
Unless it's a top 30 contract it wouldn't be a Flanno signing.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Just a bit more on the salary cap and bonus payments or contract upgrades.
100k might not sound much in a 10m cap but it could be the difference between offering Blaze 500k instead of 600k (working amounts)

Every little bit helps and ads up. That's why we see players signed for 395k and not just a even 400k.

Look at Wests they are in cap trouble for next year already with all the rookies playing.
They have offloaded Bateman to save 150k that they will front load to players to ease next years cap.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
1721898695022.png
Its a tricky one.. I think 500k is unders.. and I dont think Newcastle would accept it as MC says they have to wear 300k+the replacement players cost.

I hope they can come to an agreement... if they wait till Stefano is gone we might need to compete with the Tigers also (right now its just us), but this is why im not negotiating lol.. Flanno literally has brass nuts.

Hard to imagine what Newcastle were planning on doing if PoS hadnt turned up...

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
View attachment 378
Its a tricky one.. I think 500k is unders.. and I dont think Newcastle would accept it as MC says they have to wear 300k+the replacement players cost.

I hope they can come to an agreement... if they wait till Stefano is gone we might need to compete with the Tigers also (right now its just us), but this is why im not negotiating lol.. Flanno literally has brass nuts.

Wouldn't mind not signing him and giving Josh Coric a chance. Also Alec T. Both go ok and on the way up judging by what I've seen.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
View attachment 378

It's interesting to see who is more desperate, Knights to get him off their books or us to get him on ours? Bulldogs might be a smokey if they don't land Stefano either.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Apparently Dolphins have become the most likely destination for Blaize Talagi if he decides to leave Parramatta.

Eric

Staff
I'm watching Parramatta vs Melbourne. As for Talagi, I wouldn't offer him as much as Zac is on to play centre. He might well become a gun 5/8 but would need a good, play-making, game-managing halfback. He's definitely a ball runner. Like an upgraded Junior Amone. Though unlike Junior, Talagi seems to tackle pretty well.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I'm watching Parramatta vs Melbourne. As for Talagi, I wouldn't offer him as much as Zac is on to play centre. He might well become a gun 5/8 but would need a good, play-making, game-managing halfback. He's definitely a ball runner. Like an upgraded Junior Amone. Though unlike Junior, Talagi seems to tackle pretty well.
He didn't see much of the ball. Needs to be 5/8 if he is to get the big money.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
A few off contract or players being told they are free to leave (i.e. leave please!):

Blaize Talagi – Parramatta

Contract: 2024

Buzz:
I hope he stays. It would be a bold signing for the Dolphins because they’re so strong in those areas (that Talagi covers).

MC: Stays. We’re just having an informed opinion here. We’re not locking it in concrete, but I think he stays. The Dragons haven’t heard much lately. It’s been radio silence. The Dolphins have gone in hard for him as well. They’ve slid under the radar a little bit. He’d be a long-term halve partner for Isaiya Katoa.

So much for that.

Daniel Saifiti – Newcastle Knights

Contract: 2026

Buzz:
I spoke to Peter O’Sullivan actually. And Peter said that he’s not that dirty about being spoken to about leaving and thinks his career might need a reset and a fresh start. That being the case, I’d say St George Illawarra.

MC: I just think it’s the money, Buzz.

Buzz: St George pay $500,000, Newcastle pay $300,000. If you don’t want someone, you got to take a financial hit.

MC: But when it gets to $300,000-plus, you’ve then got to replace him with a $150,000 player to make it work. That’s a $500,000 player, essentially. There’s a point in the cap where it’s just not worth selling a player. I wouldn’t do it. The Dragons are keen He’s done a medical. There was some minor concerns over his shoulder. Just minor concerns. But the Dragons are going to have to up their offer to get the deal done. And if it doesn’t happen, he’ll be at the Knights. The Tigers will need to replace Stefano, so they might come into the mix for Saifiti.

I guess having Newcastle pay over 1/3 of his salary would make his signing worthwhile, especially if.......

Blake Lawrie – St George Illawarra Dragons

Contract: 2026

MC:
The Dragons or Super League. But he’s got a long-term deal there until the end of 2026. He’s out of first grade at the moment, hasn’t been great this season. I went to pre-season training at the Dragons and I said to him ‘man, you’re looking lean’.

Buzz: I saw him too, at a boxing gym in Cronulla. He looked good. He looked too fit. Yeah. Maybe he’s lost a little size.

I didn't realise he was on the outer. Not sure how I feel about it. Not a huge loss but not the worst forward at the Dragons.

Interestingly, Jack Bird isn't mentioned.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Heard a rumour Averillo either to us or souths. He would be a great buy, in that Conor Tracey mould but better.
Dolphins centre? He might be ok for a year at fullback before Rumble is ready to take over but he's a rubbish centre from what I've seen.