Round 10 v Gold Coast Titans

Eric

Staff

Gold Coast Titans vs St George Illawarra Dragons at Suncorp Stadium, 5.30pm AEDT

Dragons team:​

1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Talatau Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Jack de Belin
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Josh Mcguire
  13. Tariq Sims
  14. Jayden Sullivan
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Aaron Woods
  17. Tyrell Fuimaono
  18. George Burgess
  19. Cody Ramsey
  20. Jack Gosiewski
  21. Tyrell Sloan
  22. Josh Kerr
  23. Jackson Ford
  24. Tautau Moga

This is a surrealistic nightmare. Mbye is staying at #1 for this year at least. Ditto McCullough.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Gold Coast Titans vs St George Illawarra Dragons at Suncorp Stadium, 5.30pm AEDT

Dragons team:​

1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Talatau Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Jack de Belin
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Josh Mcguire
  13. Tariq Sims
  14. Jayden Sullivan
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Aaron Woods
  17. Tyrell Fuimaono
  18. George Burgess
  19. Cody Ramsey
  20. Jack Gosiewski
  21. Tyrell Sloan
  22. Josh Kerr
  23. Jackson Ford
  24. Tautau Moga

This is a surrealistic nightmare. Mbye is staying at #1 for this year at least. Ditto McCullough.
What have St George Illawarra fans done to deserve this?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Why does he keep picking forwards outside of their natural positions? De Belin is a lock, Sims is a second rower and McGuire is a lock or a prop! So what does he do? Of course de Belin prop, McGuire second rower and Sims lock. Incredible!

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Why does he keep picking forwards outside of their natural positions? De Belin is a lock, Sims is a second rower and McGuire is a lock or a prop! So what does he do? Of course de Belin prop, McGuire second rower and Sims lock. Incredible!
I'm lost for words.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well he has to fit in the $550k man somewhere better in the pack than at 5/8. He cant be a lock, Bird I'm talking about because he doesn't tackle well enough. He is now part of Griffin plans until 2025. Amone time to shine and we are now stuck with Bird for 2 long years hopefully now he has signed he may start playing again. I dont agree with JDB at prop I would have thrown McGuire in there left JDB at lock Sims, Bird 2nd rowers. Ill be at the game against the Titans and we really need to bounce back from our 2nd half surrender to the Storm last week. Mbye should be on the bench and Sloan/Ramsay at fullback. I like Sullivan off the bench as well. I hope both get a chance soon and we can put Mbye back where he and in my view unless he dramatically improves Bird and Sims belong. The only issue here is that if Mbye goes to the bench then Sullivan will be pushed back out of the 17 and I dont want that because in my experience having young stars in and out of your top squad smashes their development and more importantly confidence.

Eric

Staff
Well he has to fit in the $550k man somewhere better in the pack than at 5/8. He cant be a lock, Bird I'm talking about because he doesn't tackle well enough. He is now part of Griffin plans until 2025. Amone time to shine and we are now stuck with Bird for 2 long years hopefully now he has signed he may start playing again. I dont agree with JDB at prop I would have thrown McGuire in there left JDB at lock Sims, Bird 2nd rowers. Ill be at the game against the Titans and we really need to bounce back from our 2nd half surrender to the Storm last week. Mbye should be on the bench and Sloan/Ramsay at fullback. I like Sullivan off the bench as well. I hope both get a chance soon and we can put Mbye back where he and in my view unless he dramatically improves Bird and Sims belong. The only issue here is that if Mbye goes to the bench then Sullivan will be pushed back out of the 17 and I dont want that because in my experience having young stars in and out of your top squad smashes their development and more importantly confidence.
I feel that might be the problem with some of these team selections. He is picking guys to justify signing them not because they deserve to be in the team. At least not in the starting team. I'm thinking of Bird not starting and McCullough and Mbye not in the 17.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I feel that might be the problem with some of these team selections. He is picking guys to justify signing them not because they deserve to be in the team. At least not in the starting team. I'm thinking of Bird not starting and McCullough and Mbye not in the 17.
That is one way to explain it. Either McCullough or Mybe, probably both while Sullivan was out, needed to be in the team but after this round, neither should be in the team.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
What have we done to deserve the last decade?
It is a multitude of issues in my view. After 2010 players retired and recruitment became an issue when players realised the premiership winning coach was moving on taking with him that culture. Replaced by coaches nobody thought highly of. Then boardroom issues, in fighting the list goes on. We fell back to earth pretty quickly after 2011.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
It is a multitude of issues in my view. After 2010 players retired and recruitment became an issue when players realised the premiership winning coach was moving on taking with him that culture. Replaced by coaches nobody thought highly of. Then boardroom issues, in fighting the list goes on. We fell back to earth pretty quickly after 2011.
Mostly just poor coaches IMO. I had hoped Griffin would be different but his team selections are confusing me greatly. I think everyone on this forum was screaming for Lawrie to start from the bench but it took the coach a month to work it out. Can you explain that?

Eric

Staff
Mostly just poor coaches IMO. I had hoped Griffin would be different but his team selections are confusing me greatly. I think everyone on this forum was screaming for Lawrie to start from the bench but it took the coach a month to work it out. Can you explain that?
Now it's multiple positions if the team that runs on is as selected.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Look to achieve playing at this level is an achievement in itself. 99.5% of all players will never get there. Lawrie is a gutsie player. Plays well above his weight and does try. A players confidence can be severely affected by what we use to call a yoyo approach to selecting your 1st. In one week out the next in again out again. You have to in my opinion offer those players with an opportunity to prove that they deserve a run on place. If they fall short of expectations say after a month of football taking into account who you had played then you have that conversation with them identifying what needs working on and you keep them in the squad but off the bench. This has now happened to Lawrie. Time and patience are two attributes coaches should have or be given.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Look to achieve playing at this level is an achievement in itself. 99.5% of all players will never get there. Lawrie is a gutsie player. Plays well above his weight and does try. A players confidence can be severely affected by what we use to call a yoyo approach to selecting your 1st. In one week out the next in again out again. You have to in my opinion offer those players with an opportunity to prove that they deserve a run on place. If they fall short of expectations say after a month of football taking into account who you had played then you have that conversation with them identifying what needs working on and you keep them in the squad but off the bench. This has now happened to Lawrie. Time and patience are two attributes coaches should have or be given.
I'm a Blake Lawrie fan! I'm just saying his best position for me was starting from the bench. Come on after 15~20min after the bigger props with less stamina have taken the early barrage. It was obvious to me well before the coach agreed and what do I know?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I'm a Blake Lawrie fan! I'm just saying his best position for me was starting from the bench. Come on after 15~20min after the bigger props with less stamina have taken the early barrage. It was obvious to me well before the coach agreed and what do I know?
I agree but have offered my insight in regards to what coaches have to deal with and the balancing act that is required. If you lose the confidence of the player then players then team because you are being irrational in your team selections which also affects the combinations you are trying to achieve then you may as well packs your bags.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I agree but have offered my insight in regards to what coaches have to deal with and the balancing act that is required. If you lose the confidence of the player then players then team because you are being irrational in your team selections which also affects the combinations you are trying to achieve then you may as well packs your bags.
Ok. Well I don't know about the psychology of coaching but I'd think using a player in a way his game isn't suited would also negatively affect a players confidence. In the coach and in his own game.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Ok. Well I don't know about the psychology of coaching but I'd think using a player in a way his game isn't suited would also negatively affect a players confidence. In the coach and in his own game.
Picking players in their best position would go a long way to restoring everyone's confidence. For some like Mbye and Bird it's debatable what that position is. Sims on the other hand is a second rower, playing on the edge for 80min!

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It will work itself out. You can only coach what you have and do the best you can with what you have. As we can see by our performances we simply don't have a competitive top 8 team at this time unfortunately

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Picking players in their best position would go a long way to restoring everyone's confidence. For some like Mbye and Bird it's debatable what that position is. Sims on the other hand is a second rower, playing on the edge for 80min!
Sometimes you just can't do that the team make-up isn't good enough and players just aren't performing the way you would expect so reshuffles are just par of the course im afraid

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Sometimes you just can't do that the team make-up isn't good enough and players just aren't performing the way you would expect so reshuffles are just par of the course im afraid
Ok I just think playing players out of position would contribute to them not performing to how the coach would want.