Round 13: St George Illawarra Dragons vs Penrith Panthers

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Josh Kerr has improved a lot since he signed elsewhere. Jack de Belin is massive! Sign him for life! Su'a was good again. Liddle is so much better at hooker than Mybe. Needs to work on his fitness to play for longer. Billy Burns was Billy Burns. Was around the ball a lot for 80min but never did anything good or bad. Sullivan has been better but I think he offered a bit more, especially in defence, than Junior.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
That knock on which obviously wasn't a knock on was ridiculous.
Sloan is an enigma, can produce some magical footy and some dumb stuff, due to a lack of confidence. As he is still on training wheels probably some time back in Ressies to work on his overall game is in his best interests. I do think once he matures and puts much needed bulk onto his spindly frame his game will go to another level. Still like to see him given a crack in the halves.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Sloan is an enigma, can produce some magical footy and some dumb stuff. Still a kid and probably some time back in Ressies to work on some things is in his best interests. I do think once he matures and puts much needed bulk onto his spindly frame his game will go to another level.
I agree. Put him in the ressies for the remainder of the year and welcome back a bigger, more confident, hungrier Sloan next year.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I agree. Put him in the ressies for the remainder of the year and welcome back a bigger, more confident, hungrier Sloan next year.
I'm in favour of the new coach having a stern word to him, in person or on the phone, and giving him one more chance. Then ressies. And 1 good game followed by 2 or 3 or 4 bad ones isn't acceptable.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
In regards to Sloan my mate was at the ground and was within earshot of JDB giving Sloan an absolute mouthful after a Panthers try and it was out of character for JDB to be so emotional on the field. In short it went something like this 'FFS get your head in the fu#$&ng game and FFS read the fkg game and put your body on the line and tackle fm'. Frustrated obviously I'd suggest that if he has any say as a senior player Sloan may not be fullback next week. I hope that we have seen the last of Burns in 1sts as well, he does run a good line but not skilful enough and error prone. So the wash up for me was the effort would have satisfied me if I was coaching, skill is an issue as is our current fitness levels also an issue but since Griffin has departed you can see a squad now playing for each other to the best of their abilities. Next week the Rabbits and my real concern here is our defensive structures in trying to deal with their sweeping plays, JDB will be out and can they repeat last night's effort where they were certainly up for the game but can that character be consistent.

QDF

SGI Jersey Flegg
In regards to Sloan my mate was at the ground and was within earshot of JDB giving Sloan an absolute mouthful after a Panthers try and it was out of character for JDB to be so emotional on the field. In short it went something like this 'FFS get your head in the fu#$&ng game and FFS read the fkg game and put your body on the line and tackle fm'. Frustrated obviously I'd suggest that if he has any say as a senior player Sloan may not be fullback next week. I hope that we have seen the last of Burns in 1sts as well, he does run a good line but not skilful enough and error prone. So the wash up for me was the effort would have satisfied me if I was coaching, skill is an issue as is our current fitness levels also an issue but since Griffin has departed you can see a squad now playing for each other to the best of their abilities. Next week the Rabbits and my real concern here is our defensive structures in trying to deal with their sweeping plays, JDB will be out and can they repeat last night's effort where they were certainly up for the game but can that character be consistent.
Yes SLOANE HAS TO GO.
Just don't see a first grader
in Sloane. 9 times out of 10 he's hiding, out of position.
Unfortunately he can't tackle or just won't put his body on the line, makes him look like a coward.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately who is there to replace Burns? BMM? I'd prefer Burns. At least Burns can tackle for 80min.

Sloan has got to go.

Eric

Staff
A controversial call has seen the Dragons denied a potential try-scoring opportunity and resulted in points for the Panthers off the ensuing set. While an injury to halfback Nathan Cleary was the biggest talking point of the night, there was plenty of drama on Sunday at BlueBet Stadium early in the second half.

Fill-in playmaker Jack Cogger had put a kick in on the last play only for winger Mathew Feagai to drop the ball, with Tyrell Sloan on the spot to pick up the scraps.

The ball appeared to go backwards and referee Chris Sutton signalled as much, calling it a knock back initially before changing his call as Sloan beat an attempted tackle from Cogger with space in front of him.

Sloan though had initially hesitated after the ball was touched by Feagai, which potentially gave the match officials the impression that he thought it was a knock-on.

I've been way more patient with Sloan than everyone except RedVHeartbeat RedVHeartbeat but he really made me see red yesterday. He wasn't trying! He raised my eyebrows before THAT knock when he ran the ball dead instead of trying to get into the field of play. He was unlikely to make it into the field of play but surely he could have tried.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
A controversial call has seen the Dragons denied a potential try-scoring opportunity and resulted in points for the Panthers off the ensuing set. While an injury to halfback Nathan Cleary was the biggest talking point of the night, there was plenty of drama on Sunday at BlueBet Stadium early in the second half.

Fill-in playmaker Jack Cogger had put a kick in on the last play only for winger Mathew Feagai to drop the ball, with Tyrell Sloan on the spot to pick up the scraps.

The ball appeared to go backwards and referee Chris Sutton signalled as much, calling it a knock back initially before changing his call as Sloan beat an attempted tackle from Cogger with space in front of him.

Sloan though had initially hesitated after the ball was touched by Feagai, which potentially gave the match officials the impression that he thought it was a knock-on.

I've been way more patient with Sloan than everyone except RedVHeartbeat RedVHeartbeat but he really made me see red yesterday. He wasn't trying! He raised my eyebrows before THAT knock when he ran the ball dead instead of trying to get into the field of play. He was unlikely to make it into the field of play but surely he could have tried.

The ball appeared to go backwards and referee Chris Sutton signalled as much, calling it a knock back initially before changing his call

Could Sloan initially have been confused by the touchie calling a knock on as he ran the ball into touch.Then had the ref not stuffed up his call the kid probably had the match winner as he had left Cogger for dead with a brilliant step then blinding acceleration to blitz the defense. That is the upside of Sloan, reason we have to persevere with him, whether it is at fullback or elsewhere.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The ball appeared to go backwards and referee Chris Sutton signalled as much, calling it a knock back initially before changing his call

Could Sloan initially have been confused by the touchie calling a knock on as he ran the ball into touch.Then had the ref not stuffed up his call the kid probably had the match winner as he had left Cogger for dead with a brilliant step then blinding acceleration to blitz the defense. That is the upside of Sloan, reason we have to persevere with him, whether it is at fullback or elsewhere.
Dufty used to do some incredible things in attack. Just rarely and used to screw up far more often. I think all Dragons fans had high hopes in Sloan but I think we are all in for disappointment. I can see the same path as Dufty took. Dragons don't offer him a new contract, another club picks him up, he gets dropped and sent to the ESL. Maybe when he's 25 or 26 he'll get another crack at the NRL.