Round 20 v North Queensland

Eric

Staff
Eric Eric no as our dill of a coach has kept Bird in the centres. Good news for Tyrell Sloan he is back in first grade but not at his favored fullback but #14. As you predicted Moses returns as our custodian.
JDB remains at prop. Arent there any young Ressie bookends, such as Josh Coric, putting their hand up for a crack at the top grade.
Sloan will come on when the team is 20points behind with 40min to go and then get blamed by the coach for the team losing by 30 points.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If they just run around him, would it count as a missed tackle? With Mbye at fullback and Bird in the centres, noted non speedsters Feagai and Moga on the wings, unless Lomax can work some magic, brute force will probably be the only way to score tries but that'll be very difficult against the strong Cowboys defence.
No it doesn't count as a missed tackle. Any team is beatable on the day. Cowboys are beatable last week showed everyone that. Personally I'd have Sloan in the starting team but alas I'm not the coach. I'd have Mbye at centre and leave Bird as is if you are not looking to bring anyone else into the squad such as Feagai brother.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
No it doesn't count as a missed tackle. Any team is beatable on the day. Cowboys are beatable last week showed everyone that. Personally I'd have Sloan in the starting team but alas I'm not the coach. I'd have Mbye at centre and leave Bird as is if you are not looking to bring anyone else into the squad such as Feagai brother.
Well in that case, Bird will surely have less missed tackles.
Any coach who hasn't completely lost it would surely pick Sloan at fullback and the other Feagai in the centres.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
You under sell McCullough he does his job in defence better than most other hookers. Can you imagine another hooker presently in our pack that misses tackles in the middle third of the field? Mbye had a go but it only takes a couple of missed tackles early in a game that would lead to a compressed defensive line leaving us vulnerable 3 players off the ruck where Ben Hunt defends.
So it's a complete, top to bottom failure of retention and recruitment, specially in the forwards. We need like the good teams have, a hooker who can run faster than a turtle and tackle. Tackling can be taught and is by good coaches. Sowies defence radically improved over Bennett's 3 year tenure.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
No we dont. Yes he does his job in defense. Most hookers have to as they are the first line of defense. But that is it for Mac.. he as slow as a sloth, has no kicking game and certainly no ball skills. He does throw a good clean pass tho. Young Connor Muhleisen is also a good defender.. held the leading Ressie comp top tackling spot for a time, plus he has all those attributes Mac lacks.
Boom! There you have it! Exactly but what Muhleisen has going against him is that he wasn't a member of Griffin's career-making, superstar Broncos U20s of 15 years ago.

It might end up being a perfect circle. That team made his career and his blind infatuation with them might spell the end of his career.

Eric

Staff
Boom! There you have it! Exactly but what Muhleisen has going against him is that he wasn't a member of Griffin's career-making, superstar Broncos U20s of 15 years ago.

It might end up being a perfect circle. That team made his career and his blind infatuation with them might spell the end of his career.
There must be more to it than his infatuation with the said team. Because someone else, like Constable Young, would pull him aside and give him a clip around the ear.

I think it was jodragon40 jodragon40 who said it was to do with salary cap trouble. If Muhleisen was going to play NRL this year, the club would have to up his contract but the club doesn't have the salary cap space to do that.

I've said before, I don't believe that salary cap story Fox sports was pushing one iota so I disagree with JoDragon here but I just bring it up because it must be something more than his infatuation with that Broncos U20s team.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Spot on. Griffin is obviously not listening to the growing noise of discontent from players and fans over his obvious favoritism for some players regardless of their worth as footy players to our club. Sack this coach.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
What happened to the talk about not having local juniors as part of the salary cap. That made good sense as it was an almost certain way for a club to retain its best young prospects.
Never heard of that. I heard something about some concessions for local juniors but as far as I know, was never anything more than talk.

Eric

Staff
What happened to the talk about not having local juniors as part of the salary cap. That made good sense as it was an almost certain way for a club to retain its best young prospects.
I'm not saying I agreed with that theory. I'm just saying it was one I read. Do you have a theory on why Griffin is still sticking with McCullough? Lots of people are saying he's lost his mind. I'm saying that may be true but if it were so bad, Craig Young or someone would have come down on him hard by now. Either thrown him out the door, head first or had him delivered to the nearest psyche hospital. McGuire and McCullough holding his hands to sooth him so a straight jacket isn't needed.

Eric

Staff
What is it then in your view.
I honestly have no idea. That's why I shared JoDragon's opinion. Not because I agree with it but because I don't have a better explanation.

Maybe there is a balance of power. Craig Young and others aren't 100% sold on Muhleisen playing in the NRL and that combined with the power Griffin has as head coach is enough to push McCullough over the line.

McGuire is officially on the way out and I'm quite sure that wouldn't have been Griffin's choice. Griffin probably would have signed him for 600K for another 3 years.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
That late Cowboys try appears to have sunk our chances. Now we have to score twice. That may be our season fellars and hopefully the death knell for our poor coach.

Eric

Staff
Player ratings: 0 is worst, 10 is best.
  1. Moses Mbye -
  2. Mathew Feagai -
  3. Jack Bird -
  4. Zac Lomax -
  5. Tautau Moga -
  6. Talatau Amone -
  7. Ben Hunt -
  8. Jack de Belin -
  9. Andrew McCullough -
  10. Blake Lawrie -
  11. Billy Burns -
  12. Jaydn Su’A -
  13. Tariq Sims -
  14. Tyrell Sloan -
  15. Aaron Woods -
  16. Francis Molo -
  17. Josh Mcguire -

Eric

Staff
  1. Moses Mbye - 5
  2. Mathew Feagai - 5
  3. Jack Bird - 3
  4. Zac Lomax - 7
  5. Tautau Moga - 4
  6. Talatau Amone - 4
  7. Ben Hunt - 7
  8. Jack de Belin - 7
  9. Andrew McCullough - 4
  10. Blake Lawrie - 5
  11. Billy Burns - 5
  12. Jaydn Su’A - 5
  13. Tariq Sims - 6
  14. Tyrell Sloan - n/a
  15. Aaron Woods - 4
  16. Francis Molo - 5
  17. Josh Mcguire - 5

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
  1. Moses Mbye - 4
  2. Mathew Feagai - 4
  3. Jack Bird - 3
  4. Zac Lomax - 6
  5. Tautau Moga - 4
  6. Talatau Amone - 3
  7. Ben Hunt - 6
  8. Jack de Belin - 7
  9. Andrew McCullough - 4
  10. Blake Lawrie - 5
  11. Billy Burns - 5
  12. Jaydn Su’A - 5
  13. Tariq Sims - 6
  14. Tyrell Sloan -
  15. Aaron Woods - 4
  16. Francis Molo - 4
  17. Josh Mcguire - 4
Coach Griffin - 1

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Will score after watching full replay.

But going on the forward stats.. I'd say we had minority posession. Amone and Lawrie hard done by. Amone had the most carries and metres gained all season and his tackle count was up tho still missing too many hits. Lawrie only had nine carries but his defense was about the best of all forwards, 34 for both he and JDB.
I must have missed Amone's metre-making. He had a few bad misses. Him and Bird, again.