Round 21: Dragons vs Penrith Panthers - 28 July @ 2PM

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I understand the theory. Everyone is scratching their heads about the continued non-selection. But I tell you, if Ryan isn't getting picked because it will mean his salary will go up, he'd justifiably be absolutely furious and agitating for an immediate release.

The boys and their manager where well aware what the clause means and how it could play out. They back themselves on this one. The alternative is staying on a base contract the entire term.

I think the number of games thing is made up
[/QUOTE

I'll let the boys and Chimes know they have got it all wrong. Cheers

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
The boys and their manager where well aware what the clause means and how it could play out. They back themselves on this one. The alternative is staying on a base contract the entire term.
Do you know it to be true (not being selected only due to a pay rise if he is) or is it your opinion?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I don't have first hand knowledge that Flanno or the club have made that decision but speaking to manager's they believe it is a factor.
I rate Luciano and glad we have him but for the money he's reported to be on...... He's not earning his pay. Curious Flanno would sign him when there isn't enough money for Ryan C to play first grade.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
It's interesting to figure out the different factors which decide best 17 selections, a bit more than just picking the best 17 players.

I'm not confident we'll beat the Panthers but I do have hope. We have to match their physicality & win the territory battle.

Back 5 yardage game, defensive line speed & winning the ruck will be crucial.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
I rate Luciano and glad we have him but for the money he's reported to be on...... He's not earning his pay. Curious Flanno would sign him when there isn't enough money for Ryan C to play first grade.

What were your expectations of Luch this year? I thought he's been one of our better players, regularly breaking tackles & most week carrying for around or more than 100m. Defensively he'll always have issues but he's been a point of difference in attack.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Do you know it to be true (not being selected only due to a pay rise if he is) or is it your opinion?

A lot of the information I post regarding salary cap, contracts and clauses is not 100%.
The information I do post comes from recruitment staff managers and players.
I post it to help members get a better understanding of how complicated contracts, recruitment and salary cap can be.

It always amuses me when you see someone say we have X amount of dollars we should sign this play and that player for x amounts
Reality is they know f*ck all, clubs have around 6 people working fulltime on their caps but old mate has it all sorted on the back of a beer coaster.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It's interesting to figure out the different factors which decide best 17 selections, a bit more than just picking the best 17 players.

I'm not confident we'll beat the Panthers but I do have hope. We have to match their physicality & win the territory battle.

Back 5 yardage game, defensive line speed & winning the ruck will be crucial.
True but look at their 6 and 7 compared to ours.....

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
A lot of the information I post regarding salary cap, contracts amd clauses is not 100%.
The information I do post comes from recruitment staff managers amd players.
I post it to help members get a better understanding of how complicated contracts, recruitment and salary cap can be.

It always amuses me when you see someone say we have X amount of dollars we should sign this play and that player for x amounts
Reality is they know f*ck all, clubs have around 6 people working fulltime on their caps but old mate has it all sorted on the back of a beer coaster.

I thought I did but then I lost the bloody beer coaster!

The Zac Lomax reported figures were great though, went from about 650k-950k 🤣

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
A lot of the information I post regarding salary cap, contracts amd clauses is not 100%.
The information I do post comes from recruitment staff managers amd players.

Serious!

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I reckon we will be very physical @ WIN, and in it at half time.. but the penrith halves and their superior pack will take its toll eventually, probably putting 20+ points late in the game.

For us to win (and we are a small chance)... but we need to have one of those days where those 50/50 plays just come off for us.. no injuries and we get to make use of our size across the 17. We have had a few upsets where we got big leads early....but winning close games is definitely not our strength in 2024.

Last edited:

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I reckon we will be very physical @ WIN, and in it at half time.. but the penrith halves and their superior pack will take its toll eventually, probably putting 20+ points late in the game.

For us to win (and we are a small chance)... but we need to have one of those days where those 50/50 plays just come off for us.. ni injuries and makes use of our size across the 17. We have had a few upsets where we got big leads early....but winning close games is definitely not our strength in 2024.
I'm tipping a close game until early in the second half when Penrith go ahead significantly only for us to get a couple back late to make the score respectable.

As a matter of fact:
Panthers by 8
Dragons first try: Lomax
Dragons best: Lomax

Unfortunately when nominating Dragons best there is a 35% chance it's Lomax, 35% chance it's JDB, 25% chance it's Su'A and 5% chance someone else. But no matter what, commentators will say Ben Hunt was Dragons best.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
No doubt we have improved but we are going to watch a team that is fully professional with very good depth. If we play to our 100% then we can keep it respectable. Attacking wise their play makers put us to shame and their pack well if they get over the top of us early then it may become embarrassing. Statistically we go well against them and we are at home, undoubtedly a full house sign will go up so let us hope we keep it respectable. This is the litmus test on how much we have improved.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

For us to win (and we are a small chance)... but we need to have one of those days where those 50/50 plays just come off for us.. no injuries and we get to make use of our size across the 17. We have had a few upsets where we got big leads early....but winning close games is definitely not our strength in 2024.
That's how I see it

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
and their pack well if they get over the top of us early then it may become embarrassing.
Yar thats why I think Flanno will run 4 bench forwards.. match their quality with our quantity.. if we fail to compete in that battle, then we arent winning the game anyway.

We have really never been able to go set for set with a big pack and decent kicker.. we just get pushed back and have to come off our line continuously.. we really need the game to be a bit loose, some errors, some penalties.. they r the games where we upset teams.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Yar thats why I think Flanno will run 4 bench forwards.. match their quality with our quantity.. if we fail to compete in that battle, then we arent winning the game anyway.

We have really never been able to go set for set with a big pack and decent kicker.. we just get pushed back and have to come off our line continuously.. we really need the game to be a bit loose, some errors, some penalties.. they r the games where we upset teams.
Rule of thumb down at Win there is usually a breeze in favour of the team running to the north. Perhaps win the toss run and use the breeze keep us in the game until oranges then you never know. But if you look at their starting pack gee whiz that oozes class and talent.