Round 21: Dragons vs Penrith Panthers - 28 July @ 2PM

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Heard on the Red V Podcast that RFM will take some injections to get through the game but it'll be a week to week proposition for him. An issue around recovery with his back problem.

I'm hesitant on playing anyone with serious injury concerns in the next 2 games (Panthers & Storm).

Half the team get needled every week and more at halftime.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Heard on the Red V Podcast that RFM will take some injections to get through the game but it'll be a week to week proposition for him. An issue around recovery with his back problem.

I'm hesitant on playing anyone with serious injury concerns in the next 2 games (Panthers & Storm).
Even in my day in the 90s you simply cannot afford to be carrying an injured player against one of the elite teams in your comp. It just isn't fair, even back then to the other 14 players . There is nothing to be gained because that player or players will be found out in the heat of the battle.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The weird thing is when he runs the ball hard with speed then he's able to break tackles or at-least poke his head through the line but when he jogs to the line he gets pushed back. I've seen him put on numerous successful fends too but once again when he's running the ball with speed.
To my eye it's a mental thing, a lack of confidence. Players such as Sloan thrive on confidence but half the fight these days is not just being physically ready but mentally ready for the rigours of 1sts.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
It's not like Sloan has been setting the game on fire lately.
Last 8 games, 2 tries, 2 line breaks 6 try assists and hasn't run over 100m
True. But I think the fact he has a bit of speed can force opposition to take certain precautions. For example, with the team as is with Fegai in for Sloan would allow Penrith wingers and fullback to stand up in the line because any kick in behind will be easily cleaned up. Have wingers stay up for the entire set and challenge Hunt or Liddle if they are good enough to kick a 40-20. Penrith will be confident of defending their line.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Let's be brutally honest here nobody expects us to win, so there is no pressure on the players or team this can be advantageous in some instances. A full house and playing at Win are two more positives as is our h2h statistics. Unfortunately that's where it ends. Match ups in the halves, the playmakers we have Hunt/Flanagan v Lui/ Cleary. In the engine room we have F Molo/JDB v Leota/ JFH, rear engine room, RFM/Su'a/ and fan favourite Eisenhuth v Yeo/Martin/Sorensen. Two intriguing match ups in the backs for me, Lomax v To'o that's where I'd be concentrating my ariel attack and in the centres Suli v the inexperienced McLean. However to utilise the Lomax v To'o height mismatch, our pack has to get us over the halfway line so we can get in attacking kicks, then of course Hunt's kicks have to be on song. We need luck but you make your own luck, the bounce of the ball, penalty count, 6 again count will all play a role. In my view to be competitive we have to restrict our missed tackle count, restrict their 2nd phase attacking opportunities and complete our sets. Time will tell . Good luck to the big red v.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Let's be brutally honest here nobody expects us to win, so there is no pressure on the players or team this can be advantageous in some instances. A full house and playing at Win are two more positives as is our h2h statistics. Unfortunately that's where it ends. Match ups in the halves, the playmakers we have Hunt/Flanagan v Lui/ Cleary. In the engine room we have F Molo/JDB v Leota/ JFH, rear engine room, RFM/Su'a/ and fan favourite Eisenhuth v Yeo/Martin/Sorensen. Two intriguing match ups in the backs for me, Lomax v To'o that's where I'd be concentrating my ariel attack and in the centres Suli v the inexperienced McLean. However to utilise the Lomax v To'o height mismatch, our pack has to get us over the halfway line so we can get in attacking kicks, then of course Hunt's kicks have to be on song. We need luck but you make your own luck, the bounce of the ball, penalty count, 6 again count will all play a role. In my view to be competitive we have to restrict our missed tackle count, restrict their 2nd phase attacking opportunities and complete our sets. Time will tell . Good luck to the big red v.
Unfortunately, not confident about this. Also refs won't worry about pissing off the Dragons with arbitrary 6-again calls but will worry about pissing off the Panthers.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flanno said he had Jesse on ice for that Broncos game, he didnt play him the week before in cup which was touch and go... worked out really well in the end and we just jagged that huge victory... he only made it part way thru the game, but we had Bird that day which was good.

Must be a concern though ahead of who is our halves backup for 2025, I still like the idea of Volkman (a genuine 7 with potential) but I have no idea the state of his shoulder or if there are ill-feelings on either side of the ledger.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Flanno said he had Jesse on ice for that Broncos game, he didnt play him the week before in cup which was touch and go... worked out really well in the end and we just jagged that huge victory... he only made it part way thru the game, but we had Bird that day which was good.

Must be a concern though ahead of who is our halves backup for 2025, I still like the idea of Volkman (a genuine 7 with potential) but I have no idea the state of his shoulder or if there are ill-feelings on either side of the ledger.
Hopefully LKT is ok for first grade. But he still seems more a runner than playmaker. So won't suit partnering Hunt's game.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Hopefully LKT is ok for first grade. But he still seems more a runner than playmaker. So won't suit partnering Hunt's game.
Not sure what to make of LKT, he was god-mode at SG level with all that space, and hes solid in nsw cup, hes not rly a fullback but hes making a fist of it.. I dont think he has the speed rly to dominate that position longterm but hes getting heaps of experience... hes pretty good at chiming into the line and finding the right pass to put someone away.. ive seen him do that in NSW Cup also on both sides of the field... but if I was going to choose between him and Marshke even at cup level.. tbh Marchke is far more developed... which gives an indication that I dont think LKT would just be thrown into 1st grade anytime soon.

I really just want a genuine 7 in our system somewhere.. man-manager, kicking-game.. and then if Hunt gets injured.. or whatever happens.. maybe this guy is pressuring.. maybe he forces Hunt into 6, 9 or 14 at some point... Volkman just seems a cheap speculator, I liked what he did before last year @ the warriors.. I dont think Flanno would spend the money to go after like an Ilias or some such... There are guys like Sezer too who would be on the outer.. I dunno if that level of halfback would be someone we would chase.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I really just want a genuine 7 in our system somewhere.. man-manager, kicking-game.. and then if Hunt gets injured.. or whatever happens.. maybe this guy is pressuring.. maybe he forces Hunt into 6, 9 or 14 at some point...
100% agree. With such a halfback even the Feagai's could be decent 5/8s. Or as you say, Hunt himself. Pass, tackle, break a tackle here and there and that's it. Not saying they'd be really good 5/8s but with that kind of halfback, don't see why they wouldn't do ok.

Eric

Staff
Not sure what to make of LKT, he was god-mode at SG level with all that space, and hes solid in nsw cup, hes not rly a fullback but hes making a fist of it.. I dont think he has the speed rly to dominate that position longterm but hes getting heaps of experience... hes pretty good at chiming into the line and finding the right pass to put someone away.. ive seen him do that in NSW Cup also on both sides of the field... but if I was going to choose between him and Marshke even at cup level.. tbh Marchke is far more developed... which gives an indication that I dont think LKT would just be thrown into 1st grade anytime soon.

I really just want a genuine 7 in our system somewhere.. man-manager, kicking-game.. and then if Hunt gets injured.. or whatever happens.. maybe this guy is pressuring.. maybe he forces Hunt into 6, 9 or 14 at some point... Volkman just seems a cheap speculator, I liked what he did before last year @ the warriors.. I dont think Flanno would spend the money to go after like an Ilias or some such... There are guys like Sezer too who would be on the outer.. I dunno if that level of halfback would be someone we would chase.
I think you are right about LKT. I've been thinking it for a little while but wanted to delude myself it isn't true. He might go well yet but not with Hunt at halfback. With Hunt at halfback, I think they might screw each other up with their running games.

How is his kicking in general play?