Round 21: Dragons vs Penrith Panthers - 28 July @ 2PM

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Actually I havent really seen LKT kicking very often, Reed & Glover seem to do most of that.

I sort of just want to see LKT destroying NSW Cup before he goes up, cause any young half in the NRL.. they just run 120kg monsters at them all day long.. but we might need to wait for next year when Brown and perhaps Marshke move on, cause right now its hard for LKT to get a position at all even in cup, especially if Sloan drops back and/or Marshke is fit.

This rule about top 30+6 players having to play before the young ones, I dunno how flexible that is in regards to what position they play (for example does someone like Coric have to play anywhere before LKT.. even if the spot to be filled is fullback.. what about 2nd row? There must be a 'common sense' component there, but there must be grey also.. I just cant believe how many rookies are being blooded this year, the raiders in particular.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Actually I havent really seen LKT kicking very often, Reed & Glover seem to do most of that.

I sort of just want to see LKT destroying NSW Cup before he goes up, cause any young half in the NRL.. they just run 120kg monsters at them all day long.. but we might need to wait for next year when Brown and perhaps Marshke move on, cause right now its hard for LKT to get a position at all even in cup, especially if Sloan drops back and/or Marshke is fit.

This rule about top 30+6 players having to play before the young ones, I dunno how flexible that is in regards to what position they play (for example does someone like Coric have to play anywhere before LKT.. even if the spot to be filled is fullback.. what about 2nd row? There must be a 'common sense' component there, but there must be grey also.. I just cant believe how many rookies are being blooded this year, the raiders in particular.
Another year of Hunt and Kyle sounds depressing.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I dont rly have the negative views most do on here, the year has far exceeded my expectations (whatever happens from here).. And whatever halves flanno goes with I back that he has his reasons.. Rly looking forward to seeing a 2025 squad a little bit closer to what flanno wants.. Especially a stronger pack plus a 2nd preseason under their belts.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I dont rly have the negative views most do on here, the year has far exceeded my expectations (whatever happens from here).. And whatever halves flanno goes with I back that he has his reasons.. Rly looking forward to seeing a 2025 squad a little bit closer to what flanno wants.. Especially a stronger pack plus a 2nd preseason under their belts.
And some fast outside backs.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Josh Schuster is a possibility for 5/8. I don't know what is going on with him. Has he lost weight or is he bigger still? I wasn't very keen on him before because I thought LKT had a lot of potential. I still think he has a lot of potential but not without a good, game managing halfback.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Schuster is a really interesting one, just heard his name mentioned again elsewhere.. I know previously he was 100% locked into 5/8 or nothing.. its rly just a question of what positions he can cover.. esp if u r giving up Marschke to sign him.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Schuster is a really interesting one, just heard his name mentioned again elsewhere.. I know previously he was 100% locked into 5/8 or nothing.. its rly just a question of what positions he can cover.. esp if u r giving up Marschke to sign him.
I'm pretty sure he still wants 5/8, which becomes an issue of sorts, especially if the coach decides that he is better suited somewhere else and he starts to sulk, he is a good ball player but needs to be fit and stay fit as he becomes lazy and i'm pretty sure he doesn't have a kicking game either which adds pressure to your #7 (who has a shit kicking game as well)

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I'm pretty sure he still wants 5/8, which becomes an issue of sorts, especially if the coach decides that he is better suited somewhere else and he starts to sulk, he is a good ball player but needs to be fit and stay fit as he becomes lazy and i'm pretty sure he doesn't have a kicking game either which adds pressure to your #7 (who has a shit kicking game as well)
I'm far from Hunt's #1 fan but TBH, I think kicking is one of the things he does well.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
If Schuster can remain under about 95kg I reckon he'd go well at 5/8. But it's a big ask. Apparently he was as heavy as 120kg! Nothing near that will do for a 5/8 no matter how good his ball skills are. In my view anyway.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Had a chat with Josh today.
He looks good, been training everyday on his own.
Mario is shopping him around and we are on the list.

Flanno jamming in plenty of meetings this week.
NAS has always been the target but we have to keep throwing offers at others.
As I said before lots of frontrow movement happening.
Schuster also in the mix.

Josh Schuster is a possibility for 5/8. I don't know what is going on with him. Has he lost weight or is he bigger still? I wasn't very keen on him before because I thought LKT had a lot of potential. I still think he has a lot of potential but not without a good, game managing halfback.

Nothing new on the Schuster front.
As I said we have been in talks with him for a while. Lots of talk around weight, fitness goals, position and type of contract

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
As I said we have been in talks with him for a while. Lots of talk around weight, fitness goals, position and type of contract
Have to be some kind of performance clauses around his weight. I think he's not hard enough to play in the forwards and not fast enough to play in the back 5. Too big for halfback. So 5/8 or nothing IMO.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Have to be some kind of performance clauses around his weight. I think he's not hard enough to play in the forwards and not fast enough to play in the back 5. Too big for halfback. So 5/8 or nothing IMO.
This is the challenge right.. like hes so specific.. hes either a world-beating 5/8 or hes almost useless.. but tbf we havent seen him play at his lower weight.. surely he is capable of playing centre or lock if an emergency happened in a game or we were desperate.. but you are buying him really as a pure 6.

Little bit of pressure on LKT as a result too, but I still think LKT is 1-2yrs anyway.. but where does he play next year if Schuster is the cup 6... its interesting..

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
This is the challenge right.. like hes so specific.. hes either a world-beating 5/8 or hes almost useless.. but tbf we havent seen him play at his lower weight.. surely he is capable of playing centre or lock if an emergency happened in a game or we were desperate.. but you are buying him really as a pure 6.

Little bit of pressure on LKT as a result too, but I still think LKT is 1-2yrs anyway.. but where does he play next year if Schuster is the cup 6... its interesting..
Perfectly sums up the way I see it.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
You know back in my day the ressies were a stepping stone from those exciting promising juniors who were playing at that time in the President Cup comp/ U21. The number of times I witnessed players cruel themselves instead of enhancing their opportunity to step up to 1sts was heartbreaking. A player hasn't reached the pinnacle until he pulls on a 1sts jersey but that doesn't come easy you must apply yourself. If that means you have to change your eating/drinking habits and lifestyle then that requires discipline and self control. If you don't have it upstairs it doesn't matter how physically good you are, both go hand in hand. It's a privilege, you have to earn. If Schuster cannot understand that then sobeit.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
You know back in my day the ressies were a stepping stone from those exciting promising juniors who were playing at that time in the President Cup comp/ U21. The number of times I witnessed players cruel themselves instead of enhancing their opportunity to step up to 1sts was heartbreaking. A player hasn't reached the pinnacle until he pulls on a 1sts jersey but that doesn't come easy you must apply yourself. If that means you have to change your eating/drinking habits and lifestyle then that requires discipline and self control. If you don't have it upstairs it doesn't matter how physically good you are, both go hand in hand. It's a privilege, you have to earn. If Schuster cannot understand that then sobeit.

Josh has always been a big 5/8 and a lazy trainer but his skills let him get away with it.
He played for Manly in the 2019 SGB GF in a standout year.

The last few years his issues have been mental and emotional.
His best mate and childhood friend died in his arms at training and Josh has struggled to deal with it.

When he quit Manly I believe he came to the conclusion that he had to deal with his off field issues before he could concentrate on footy.

I hope he makes it back to the top of NRL, he is a very talented player.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Josh has always been a big 5/8 and a lazy trainer but his skills let him get away with it.
He played for Manly in the 2019 SGB GF in a standout year.

The last few years his issues have been mental and emotional.
His best mate and childhood friend died in his arms at training and Josh has struggled to deal with it.

When he quit Manly I believe he came to the conclusion that he had to deal with his off field issues before he could concentrate on footy.

I hope he makes it back to the top of NRL, he is a very talented player.
The ball is in his court, that's a big thing to happen to anyone losing a mate under those circumstances. I've always considered that he was one of the most skilful players I had seen for a few years. I also hope he can overcome such a tragedy. Back in my day there was no grief counselling it was the boys getting together at the local and drinking and talking it through. You either came back from that or you didn't. Time will tell. I wish him well.

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
I don’t we can call him young anymore (he is 25) but Kyle actually threw a few good cut out passes against the Broncos—while Saints were on top…

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I don’t we can call him young anymore (he is 25) but Kyle actually threw a few good cut out passes against the Broncos—while Saints were on top…
Couple of looping, harbour bridge passes. One led to a try but only after CT stream-rolled a few Broncos players. People need to stop taking criticism of him personally. I'm not even saying he should be dropped. I'd like someone else to be given a chance but not sure we have anyone better. That's on Flanno that he's the only option. The bottom line is, the only reason he was contracted is because his dad is the head coach. In a really professional outfit like Melbourne or Roosters, that wouldn't be acceptable.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Besides the occasional 40/20 his kicking is not that great..
He does some good clearing kicks too. Go a long way and find the grass. His attacking kicks are average. Not bad or good but I think his long kicking is pretty good.

Not trying to tell you what "average" means🤡. It's just popularly used to mean bad. I mean it in the way it defines "average" in the dictionary.

Last edited: