Round 22: St George Illawarra vs Manly

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Who knows what would have happened if Sloan made 2 tackles with every other NRL fullback would make 9 times out of 10. Or if Sloan involved himself in the action in the first half.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I missed the game due to a dinner. I note we lost by 6 was that a fair reflection of the game? Debelin binned for 10 was that fair? Did Mulheisen get a run, any good if he did? Manly 1st win at the gong in 20 yrs

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Haven't seen the game yet, thoughts on the no-try and sin binning?
I missed the game due to a dinner. I note we lost by 6 was that a fair reflection of the game? Debelin binned for 10 was that fair? Did Mulheisen get a run, any good if he did? Manly 1st win at the gong in 20 yrs
Binned for one of the most dubious hip drops I've seen. The no try was a try. No question at all. I couldn't see the ball on the ground but there is no way at all it wasn't on the ground. Video ref said, "The ball is on the ground, now we need to see if it's reached the in-goal. The ball has reached the in goal so.......no try"!!!!

Eric

Staff
Mulheisen was only on for about 5min. Liddle had to go off for a HIA shortly before halftime and came back on to start the second half. I don't think Mulheisen was on except for those few minutes.

In other news, Sloan's defence is literally a black comedy now.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Mulheisen was only on for about 5min. Liddle had to go off for a HIA shortly before halftime and came back on to start the second half. I don't think Mulheisen was on except for those few minutes.

In other news, Sloan's defence is literally a black comedy now.
It can be better and will be with a good defense coach but reckon you guys are too harsh on him as should be blaming Suli and Feagai for leaving him to do too much last line. These two are constantly out of position on that left side inviting the Eagles to score three tries and one disallowed. Rava ditto on the other side. Abysmal marking in defense and it bloody well happens every game.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Zac, Sloan, Rava all ran huge metres while Blocka, Frank and Billy with 100m, Jack 99 and Mike 96. Amones ball skills improving with every game, Liddle is now lifting his work rate while Musgrove obviously given little time to make an impact. A wasted debut for Muhleisen.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
It can be better and will be with a good defense coach but reckon you guys are harsh on him, should be blaming Suli and Feagai for leaving him to do too much last line as these two constantly out of position on that left side where three Eagles tries were scored. Abysmal marking of defense specially by Feagai yet he continues to be picked..
The outside backs are slow and Suli, Feagai and Rava keep rushing out of the line and taking no one! It keeps happening multiple times every game!

But when Saab ran straight over Sloan as though he wasn't there, is unacceptable. He needs to go back to NSW Cup and defend in the centres or 5/8 so he gets lots and lots of practice. Then come back next year and give it another try.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
But when Saab ran straight over Sloan
Not how I saw it, Sloan stopped him long enuff for the following defense to wrap him. Only time I saw Sloan overun was by that monster Islander prop of theirs who pushed away a couple of others two.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The outside backs are slow and Suli, Feagai and Rava keep rushing out of the line and taking no one! It keeps happening multiple times every game!
Exactly, leaving Sloan as last line of defense to have to face too much attack for one man, even a bigger and better defender would struggle against that. I keep saying this over and over and as long as it continues I will defend Sloan.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Musgrove obviously given little time to make an impact.
Only played due to who pulling out? Carr gives him game time and piddling at that, because he is obliged to. So there has to be a vendetta being waged against the big prop.

Also someone tell me why Jack was binned at a crucial time as we were playing probably our best footy at that stage. He was dumbfounded going on his body language, mouthing obscenities to the touchie and ref quietly as he walked off.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Not how I saw it, Sloan stopped him long enuff for the following defense to wrap him. Only time I saw Sloan overun was by that monster Islander prop of theirs who pushed away a couple of others two.
Early on in second half Saab was again offered free passage down the side line. He just kept running straight down the sideline, straight over Sloan as though he wasn't there.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well it appears what I have read and I will eventually watch the replay, that if Sloan can't be taught to tackle and put his body on the line in the off season then perhaps he may not make the team in 24. No doubting his attacking prowess but as I wrote earlier in the season it's no use scoring or setting up 2 tries a game if we leak 4 tries a game.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Only played due to who pulling out? Carr gives him game time and piddling at that, because he is obliged to. So there has to be a vendetta being waged against the big prop.

Also someone tell me why Jack was binned at a crucial time as we were playing probably our best footy at that stage. He was dumbfounded going on his body language, mouthing obscenities to the touchie and ref quietly as he walked off.
I just watched that tackle it wasn't intentionally done it appeared to me that he was fatigued and just got it wrong. I'm afraid that may be it for him this season if charged and found guilty.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Exactly, leaving Sloan as last line of defense to have to face too much attack for one man, even a bigger and better defender would struggle against that. I keep saying this over and over and as long as it continues I will defend Sloan.
In this era the fullback is intricate in organising the defensive line, changing structures when required and lastly being able to make more tackles than they miss, so far this season Sloan has played 18 games made 90 tackles but more importantly missed 33, that is not reserve grade standard. So either Rav, Suli, Feigai just don't listen to him or alternatively have no faith in him to actually organise the defence. Either way it cannot continue we have played 19 games and had 533 points put on us, that's an avg of 28 points. Compare that to our 2010 premiers who avg 12.5 points a game, compare that to Penrith who have conceded 12.42 points. DEFENCE wins not only games but premierships your attack will develop from that.