Round 23 v Gold Coast Titans

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Well let's not get too carried away with the performance because the opposition were very poor. But 5 forwards ran for the 100m +, Su'A 190m, Bird 150m, Lawrie 144m, F Molo 111m, Woods 107m and JDB 106m (which was o/s considering he was only on the park for 50m). Titans only 3 forwards. Completion rates good 77% but the better teams consistently get 80%+. Missed tackles awful 51 any other game we lose that game missing so many tackles, Titans 49 so shows you the poor quality. Hunt made 12 missed 6, Amone made 4 missed 5. The Titans certainly didn't run at Amone. I liked what I saw from our young rising stars Sullivan, Amone Ramsey, I dont know where you can fit into the team Sloan as a result of Ramsey going so well. I think with our injuries we may well see Sullivan start at hooker next week but I would love to see Muhleisen get a run with 2 games to go, Sloan off the bench. Tigers next week who will want to beat us to avoid the wooden spoon. A big plus for us is that Tamau is out. The big game I'm looking forward to is against the Broncos in last round.
I thought you did the research a week or so ago to find that Muhleisen isn't on a development contract.

I watched the NSW Cup game. He's better than Macca, no doubt at all. Good service out of dummy half and a tackling machine but like Macca, didn't offer much in attack.

And Bird was picked in the forwards but played about 75min in the centres.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Dunno bout you blokes but I will never get used to us not wearing the iconic RedV jumper.

Someone show me how I access ZT week by week defense stats.
It wouldn't be so bad if the alternate was so bad. They have to have 2 but at least they could make the second much more appealing.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
It wouldn't be so bad if the alternate was so bad. They have to have 2 but at least they could make the second much more appealing.
Yes. I expect some of our boys like the 'three amigos' grew up with the Steelers jumper. Agree make it more appealing. Is the opposite to the Red V on white background, a white V on red background a touch too radical.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I dont know where you can fit into the team Sloan as a result of Ramsey going so well.
Not sold on Ramsay at the back to be honest. Not if you have seen what Sloan is capable of with ball in hand. He was simply outstanding yesterday. Most of our best modern custodians have had some ball skills. Sloan does Ramsay does not. He has sheer pace, more suited to the wing or centre.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Not sold on Ramsay at the back to be honest. Not if you have seen what Sloan is capable of with ball in hand. He was simply outstanding yesterday. Most of our best modern custodians have had some ball skills. Sloan does Ramsay does not. He has sheer pace, more suited to the wing or centre.
I think Ramsey at fullback has potential. Just not as much as Sloan. Let's see what the latter can do with 5 more kgs of muscle next year.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Precisely what I said he needs against heavy defenses. At the moment he is built like a match stick with the wood removed.
Unlike Dufty, he has a frame which he should be able to pack weight on. Biggest concern for me isn't the dropped bombs in pelting rain and howling wind but his kick returns when he jogged slowly back and was hammered for his trouble. If he ran back as hard as he could, he'd be smashed much less.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
You reckon that is the reason. I think it is confidence in his ability and knowing he is wanted until at least 2025.
No doubt his form has gone to another level since his future has been secured that's a normality when negotiating a new contract. I have consistently said though that sometimes a coach can over coach a player and I believed that he was a prime example. Amone needs plenty of off season tackling clinic his defence is still woeful

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I agree I love the way Sloan moves over the ground he glides. Bulk up a bit in the off season but more importantly learn to read and direct the defensive line that's his biggest archillies heel at the moment in my view

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I have consistently said though that sometimes a coach can over coach a player
How has Junior been over coached in your view then? I see it as more ill advised when he was given the second play making role with little natural ball in hand skill. If anything it is lack of good coaching. Instead of taking the ball to the line then drawing his man to give his support room he crabs across field and the move breaks down. This is what needs to be coached out of him. There have been numerous times this season where he has done that with a frustrated Lomax outside him. A clever playmaker will put you into a gap. God knows Lomax is crying out for someone like that inside him. I hope to hell we pick up a former halve as our attack coach. As sure as apples Griffin or Head have no clue how to bring out good ball playing skills in either Junior or Ben.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
How has Junior been over coached in your view then? I see it as more ill advised when given the second play making role with little natural ball in hand skill.
Amone is a naturally talented eyes up 5/8 who's greatest asset is his step and has the ability to take on the line and break the line, he is not a traditional linking 5/8 who just catches and passes which in my view Griffin is trying to develop him into that passing game, of course he needs to but not at the cost he is paying. The end result is that you restrict the players natural game with instructions that he is to be a link player not to use his natural game. That is what I mean by over coaching, yes develop a player but don't restrict his natural game to such an extent that we are seeing a player who looks the shadow of the player that he was, sometimes developing a player can be a very slow and patient process. Just my views.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Amone is a naturally talented eyes up 5/8 who's greatest asset is his step and has the ability to take on the line and break the line, he is not a traditional linking 5/8 who just catches and passes which in my view Griffin is trying to develop him into that passing game
That I agree with. Being a coach you call it over coaching I respect that. I prefer to call it incorrect or poor coaching. I can see why Griffin, probably on the advice of Head, felt the need to do that as Ben Hunt is not exactly a Peter Sterling or Andrew Johns and needs help with the ball playing. If anything Ben has been incorrectly or over coached too when a junior as he has never developed into a half that can take sole responsibility for all backline creativity and structure. That is the player that deserves a $1m plus salary.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I thought you did the research a week or so ago to find that Muhleisen isn't on a development contract.

I watched the NSW Cup game. He's better than Macca, no doubt at all. Good service out of dummy half and a tackling machine but like Macca, didn't offer much in attack.

And Bird was picked in the forwards but played about 75min in the centres.
I did and your probably correct in regards to Muhleisen I'm getting old