Round 23 v Gold Coast Titans

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Elaborate.
One of the most important jobs of todays fullbacks is to organise and direct the teams defensive line. He must be a good communicator and importantly the team has to have faith in his ability to co ordinate the line. Unfortunately for Sloan he is not a good defensive co ordinator according to Griffin. If he wants the No.1 jersey he must develop this side of his game in my view.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That I agree with. Being a coach you call it over coaching I respect that. I prefer to call it incorrect or poor coaching. I can see why Griffin, probably on the advice of Head, felt the need to do that as Ben Hunt is not exactly a Peter Sterling or Andrew Johns and needs help with the ball playing. If anything Ben has been incorrectly or over coached too when a junior as he has never developed into a half that can take sole responsibility for all backline creativity and structure. That is the player that deserves a $1m plus salary.
Coaching is a tough gig sometimes you can over assert your beliefs and authority especially with the rising stars in your club. Griffin is considered an old school coach that doesn't take advice from his assistant coaches as we can see sometimes to his the team and clubs detriment. In regards to Hunt well my view is he has consistently our best player. My only negative is, and I don't know whether it's his decision or the coaches decision that he takes far too much responsibility. This in itself could lead to the assumption that he lacks faith in the players around him, which can be counter productive especially with our young rising stars.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
One of the most important jobs of todays fullbacks is to organise and direct the teams defensive line.
Hasnt that always been the job of a fullback as no player has a better view of the defensive line . How in your view is Ramsay at doing this. He has a couple of years experience on Sloan.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
In regards to Hunt well my view is he has consistently our best player
I honestly cant agree with that. Our most involved yes.. sometimes too involved which means he overplays his hand and does stuff that even his team mates dont read and thus the movement breaks down. JDB has consistently been our best player in my view. He should be our skipper.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
You reckon that is the reason. I think it is confidence in his ability and knowing he is wanted until at least 2025.
I agree with Jo Dragon but I think someone told Griffin to stop over coaching him. Don't think Griffin just decided.

But let's not get too excited just yet. He played well in a losing team against a poor Raiders side and played well against a dismal GC team. Let's not make him the Dragons 5th Immortal just yet.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Hasnt that always been the job of a fullback as no player has a better view of the defensive line . How in your view is Ramsay at doing this. He has a couple of years experience on Sloan.
Well fullbacks have developed from the 90s to now. In my day no it's wasn't a fullbacks major responsibility to organise defence. We played 11 man front line, our organiser half back / 5/8 just behind that line then fullback. To me defensively Ramsey is a better communicator and organiser but it may be just age and experience. For me watching the 2 of them over the years Sloan is my future fullback.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I agree with Jo Dragon but I think someone told Griffin to stop over coaching him. Don't think Griffin just decided.

But let's not get too excited just yet. He played well in a losing team against a poor Raiders side and played well against a dismal GC team. Let's not make him the Dragons 5th Immortal just yet.
I'm looking forward to the last real test against a desperate Broncos

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I honestly cant agree with that. Our most involved yes.. sometimes too involved which means he overplays his hand and does stuff that even his team mates dont read and thus the movement breaks down. JDB has consistently been our best player in my view. He should be our skipper.
To each their own. I am a great fan of JDB but not as a cpt. He has a beautiful tackling technique that reminds me of Ron Coote back in the day.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Did little more than distribute. Liked to have seen more dummy half running. His defense needs work.. probably worse even that his 'three amigo' mate Junior.
But I though his distribution was much more crisp than Macca's. Just the impression I got. I could be wrong.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
To each their own. I am a great fan of JDB but not as a cpt. He has a beautiful tackling technique that reminds me of Ron Coote back in the day.
Not in favour of JDB as C because of issues not related to his on field performance? I'm not in favour either. He's getting toward the end of his career. Need a longer term C. Maybe Zac Lomax despite some stupid things he did in the first half of the season.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Not in favour of JDB as C because of issues not related to his on field performance?
That's one reason rightly or wrongly, your club cpt has to be for one thing beyond reproach. Secondly he just is not a talker, he's a workhorse, someone I'd pick in my pack first everytime

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
That's one reason rightly or wrongly, your club cpt has to be for one thing beyond reproach. Secondly he just is not a talker, he's a workhorse, someone I'd pick in my pack first everytime
Makes sense. Though I think he's way more than just "a workhorse".

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Makes sense. Though I think he's way more than just "a workhorse".
I have found that the best players don't always make the best cpts. It's that player that everyone wants to play with, is respected and leads by example both on and off the field. Just my views

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I have found that the best players don't always make the best cpts. It's that player that everyone wants to play with, is respected and leads by example both on and off the field. Just my views
I'm not a huge fan of Hunt as a halfback. Not a critic or a huge fan. Somewhere between that but I think he's a pretty good Captain.