Round 24: Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans - 18 August @ 2PM

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Someone please tell me why Frank Molo was extended. This big unit wastes his size, goes to ground far too easy and hits like a wimp. Even Lawrie has made more tackle breaks. Every now and then he'll have a big game and actually run 100m and make more than 20 tackles. Anyone know what coin is he on.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I can't help but wonder how good this team could have been if both Couchmans were in the 17 from round 1.
Ditto. Flanagan got it very wrong when he said they 'debuted too early' the previous season. Imagine the excitement generated when we have an engine room comprising the Couchies and our three Aussie school boys.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Due to a crappy live stream I missed the great cover tackle by Sloan only saw the replayed rag doll. That was an audacious double play. Was everything Tyrell was not confident doing early in the season, this and his attacking bomb defuses.

Last edited:

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Jeez Flanagan loves debuting blokes out of position and giving them pissy mins. Did same with Bud Sullivan. LKT looks a 5/8 or utility back or even a future lock when bigger, not a hooker.

LKT played at 5/8th, he replaced Bird and was playing pre-dominantly on the left. Flanagan did not debut Bud Sullivan, that was Mary or Young. LKT did not play hooker, that was Liddle.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Why does Hunt persist with these short drop outs. We rarely retain the leather instead handing them possession and when he fails to go the 10m, like it has several times, it costs us a bloody penalty. Dumb as.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Why does Hunt persist with these short drop outs. We rarely retain the leather instead handing them possession and when he fails to go the 10m, like it has several times, it costs a bloody penalty. Dumb as.
I like it personally. Even if it's not successful, it's only defending the line for an extra tackle or two and often times defending from 10 out is harder than defending on the line.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
The Walker brothers were the first ones who 'analysed the data' if you will in the QRL... short drop offs was the big one... they realised that by the numbers it was the smartest play.. but at the time fans/media just couldn't comprehend a change from what they understood as the norm.. Norman was the one who copped it deluxe for something that was a team tactic.. he got the blame if it didnt come off.. tbf our bomb catchers were non-existent back then also.

But the logic is:
o A chance (lets call it 1in3) to get the ball back instead of defending your line is a complete 180deg game shift
o Even if you dont get it back, its easier to defend your line than it is to defend while running backwards in defence
o Also less running for the Defensive line, conserve energy for making tackles

The only time I want to kick long is:
o If there is a strong breeze behind us and we can kick it 50-60m
o If they think there is a slow or lazy opponent and they can get the ball to find touch.. sometimes good to mix it up too
o Late in the game and we have a lead... and we just want to soak up a little bit more time.. no need to take any risks on our line

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The Walker brothers were the first ones who 'analysed the data' if you will in the QRL... short drop offs was the big one... they realised that by the numbers it was the smartest play.. but at the time fans/media just couldn't comprehend a change from what they understood as the norm.. Norman was the one who copped it deluxe for something that was a team tactic.. he got the blame if it didnt come off.. tbf our bomb catchers were non-existent back then also.

But the logic is:
o A chance (lets call it 1in3) to get the ball back instead of defending your line is a complete 180deg game shift
o Even if you dont get it back, its easier to defend your line than it is to defend while running backwards in defence
o Also less running for the Defensive line, conserve energy for making tackles

The only time I want to kick long is:
o If there is a strong breeze behind us and we can kick it 50-60m
o If they think there is a slow or lazy opponent and they can get the ball to find touch.. sometimes good to mix it up too
o Late in the game and we have a lead... and we just want to soak up a little bit more time.. no need to take any risks on our line
I also like the idea of kicking it hard and low toward the sideline. Like pretend Hunt is going to do a short dropout to left but then kick it hard and low to the right, aiming for the sideline.

Eric

Staff
11 of our 17 players came through our junior system.
Would I be wrong about giving Anthony Griffin a wrap for that? Right from the start he talked about "building the club from the ground up". i.e. from juniors right through to first grade. He might have been too old-fashioned to be a good coach but I think he knew what he was doing regarding juniors.