Round 25: Dragons vs Cronulla Sharks - 25 August @ 4:05PM

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
We normally have Kyle as the emergency hooker.. if we did lose Liddle then maybe Bird goes there and Leilua to 6, RFM to 2nd row.. we rly just gotta hope that doesnt happen.. it is also possible Marschke finds his way onto the bench yet.. but tbh he hasnt finished a game in months.. hes on a run from hell atm.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
We normally have Kyle as the emergency hooker.. if we did lose Liddle then maybe Bird goes there and Leilua to 6, RFM to 2nd row.. we rly just gotta hope that doesnt happen.. it is also possible Marschke finds his way onto the bench yet.. but tbh he hasnt finished a game in months.. hes on a run from hell atm.
That's a possibility as well.

Eric

Staff
That's a possibility as well.
Or JDB 5/8. But can Bird play hooker? Seems like it might be moving 2 players out of position rather than just one.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Seems like it might be moving 2 players out of position rather than just one.
I think thats what Flanno plans to do when hes running the 4-forward-bench.. all or nothing.. Sua can cover centre, Leilua 5/8, Feagai/Lomax Fullback...but with Kyle gone... if we lost a 7 or a 9 its a mess... but were just gonna have to take the risk. Its also I guess jusitification for RFM being on the bench.. but I still reckon we should be working on the couchmans being middle and 2nd row cover next year..

We've been riding our luck all year on spine depth.. its one good thing about Cook.. is he can make a fist of any position if we needed it 1thru7 or 9.. like hes relatively agile for a hooker..

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I think thats what Flanno plans to do when hes running the 4-forward-bench.. all or nothing.. Sua can cover centre, Leilua 5/8, Feagai/Lomax Fullback...but with Kyle gone... if we lost a 7 or a 9 its a mess... but were just gonna have to take the risk. Its also I guess jusitification for RFM being on the bench.. but I still reckon we should be working on the couchmans being middle and 2nd row cover next year..

We've been riding our luck all year on spine depth.. its one good thing about Cook.. is he can make a fist of any position if we needed it 1thru7 or 9.. like hes relatively agile for a hooker..
But losing agility at a decent rate. Should still be ok for another 2 years.

A late change with LKT back into the 17 wouldn't surprise me.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

In hindsight, should've been Bird 5/8 and Kyle playing in the position Flanno said he was recruited for.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
This is a huge challenge for us, firstly we havent beaten 2 good sides in a row this year (at some point this will change), will it be in 2024?

And secondly we havent coped well with 'big games' that we are given a shot at winning... the dogs games at home, roosters x2, penrith at home (after a big win), sharks derby away, they got built up with a lot of fanfare and we come out in a really frantic way.. balls going to ground, poor options etc.. ... we eventually settle, but the game is over.

So its a huge game for a number of reasons, if we win, its proof we have turned a corner, and I'm so glad its @WIN for a 2nd week in a row.. we usually play our best there and it will be really familiar after just beating the titans there.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Is this the biggest game of the year for the Dragons so far? Win and you would have to think we are finals bound.
This is a huge challenge for us, firstly we havent beaten 2 good sides in a row this year (at some point this will change), will it be in 2024?

And secondly we havent coped well with 'big games' that we are given a shot at winning... the dogs games at home, roosters x2, penrith at home (after a big win), sharks derby away, they got built up with a lot of fanfare and we come out in a really frantic way.. balls going to ground, poor options etc.. ... we eventually settle, but the game is over.

So its a huge game for a number of reasons, if we win, its proof we have turned a corner, and I'm so glad its @WIN for a 2nd week in a row.. we usually play our best there and it will be really familiar after just beating the titans there.
I'm not getting my hopes up personally. Too many times this season I've gotten my hopes up starting with the Anzac Day debacle. Then the Bullgrubs games x 2. I wasn't confident at all for the second Rorters game. On a positive note, the Shonkies game was closer than I thought it might be and of course the Melbourne game was a pleasant surprise.

But I'm not jumping on the Flanno bandwagon yet. There has been a big improvement but is it because Flanno is a really good coach or the roster is better and Griffin was just so bad? I'm leaning toward the latter. Also one small thing I think Flanno has done is lay down the law to Hunt. Tell him he's playing for the team, not for himself. I remember under Griffin, Hunt kicked out on the full from a kick off. He challenged it even though if the ref was wrong, the video ref would have intervened. Bellamy would have exploded if one of his players did that. Just shows how bad Griffin was.

It took an injury for Bird to be moved out of the centres! Look at Bellamy. Promotes an unheard of QLD Cup young player over Remis Smith from a winning team even when Remis Smith was getting a lot of accolades. That is a good coach!

The first thing Flanno did in the off season was start raving about how the Couchmans were promoted too early. BS! They were already among the best forwards we had last year! It took injuries for one to get promoted and injuries and suspensions for the other.

I just mean to say, Flanno is a big improvement on Griffin but the team has to start winning some of these games before I jump on the Flanno bandwagon.