Round 25: St George Illawarra v Melbourne Storm

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Suli, Rava
If you were in his place would you like to have two big boppers, Suli, Rava running at you. Simplest way and this he has to drum or have drummed into his head, is go low. I was a squirt when I played footy as a young bloke, but I was a great defender as Johnny Raper was my hero and I tried to emulate his cover defense, always around the waist then slipping down to trap the legs.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
If you were in his place would you like to have two big boppers, Suli, Rava running at you. Simplest way and this he has to drum or have drummed into his head, is go low. I was a squirt when I played footy in my youth but I was a great defender as Johnny Raper was my hero and I tried to emulate his cover defense, always around the waist then slipping down to trap the legs.
He misses everyone. Big bobbers as well as average size but faster blokes so Lomax will run at him as well.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
In what way. He is far better in offense and defense this season. Junior is an improvisor much like Sloan and both can hurt even an organized defense. Still reckon his future is out of the halves, for Sloan. Hoping Flanagan sees it too.
He's running the ball more but causing the opposition defence zero problems and his defence is still disgraceful.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
but causing the opposition defence zero problems
Nah, scored one from a dart and almost another, his defense is not disgraceful but has been upgraded to moderate. Heavy off season defensive drills and conditioning will do him, Sloan and all our boys the world of good.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I reckon Billy Burns has earned an extension, has outplayed the human whale BMM on the edge in attack and defense. He stays there for next season with S'ua the other while Dan Russell goes into the middle where his strong tackling with be better utilized. This bloke should be extended too.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Did you guys pickup on fox yesterday when C .... mean Hunt was taking a shot at goal from the sideline , they indicated , said something in the lines of " Not sure whether Hunt will be around next year ...... Hope they know something that we don't know ......

Last edited:

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I reckon Billy Burns has earned an extension, has outplayed the human whale BMM on the edge in attack and defense. He stays there for next season with S'ua the other while Dan Russell goes into the middle where his strong tackling with be better utilized. This bloke should be extended too.
I call Billy Burns they guy with no expression , drop a ball no emotion , pull off a great tackle no emotion , score a try no emotion ...... Yep Id keep him .......

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
BMM was being chosen in a position he obviously wasn't suited for. No idea at all what was going through Hooks head. Did he want to get sacked?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Nah, scored one from a dart and almost another, his defense is not disgraceful but has been upgraded to moderate. Heavy off season defensive drills and conditioning will do him, Sloan and all our boys the world of good.
Quick play the ball on the line allowed him to score that try.

Needs a big off season learning.to tackle much better. Also needs a fair amount of work on his attack. Big, fast and elusive enough to cause way more trouble for the defence than he does.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Did you guys pickup on fox yesterday when C .... mean Hunt was taking a shot at goal from the sideline , they indicated , said something in the lines of " Not sure whether Hunt will around next year ...... Hope they know something that we don't know ......
Yep. I didn't miss it. Wonder what's going on. GC can't possibly afford him now. No QLD team can.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Quick play the ball on the line allowed him to score that try.

Needs a big off season learning.to tackle much better. Also needs a fair amount of work on his attack. Big, fast and elusive enough to cause way more trouble for the defence than he does.
Defense is 90% attitude. There's a lot for Flanno to work with and work on.

Opinions on Connor Mulhisen? Wasn't bad or good IMO.

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
The turning point for me was when Melbourne got a penalty and Sloane had an easy tap back which he totally messed up and Melbourne scored soon after. Their winger scored five tries so that must reflect on Sloane’s defence. But I thought Dragons’ hit ups and attacking intent were much better. Do you think Flanno is involved behind the scenes. Burns went well. Are they going to re-sign him ? Hunt gave another one for the blooper reel when he gifted Melbourne a late try…

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The turning point for me was when Melbourne got a penalty and Sloane had an easy tap back which he totally messed up and Melbourne scored soon after. Their winger scored five tries so that must reflect on Sloane’s defence.
Sloans and Feagai's. Both of them. And Amone for 1 try.
But I thought Dragons’ hit ups and attacking intent were much better. Do you think Flanno is involved behind the scenes. Burns went well. Are they going to re-sign him ? Hunt gave another one for the blooper reel when he gifted Melbourne a late try…
He's a tackling machine. Should have been in first grade all year. But hopefully we can get a second rower who offers a little more in attack.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The turning point for me was
When Fegai went inside for the umpteenth time this season, missed his man, resulting in two easy tries for Melbourne to storm back into the contest after we had jumped away to a 20-4 lead. They never lost the momentum after that, tho we never at any stage threw in the towel.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Defense is 90% attitude.
True. We have one of the games best technical defenders in JDB, surely the club can do more with him in instilling this attitude as sure as hell our current defense coach appears unable to. Btw the same guy Ben Woolf will be the Ressie coach next season.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
..reflects more on the dumb Matt Fegai and Rava who refuse to stay on their wing.
Like, coach tells them, "stand where you normally would and then move out 2m unless that puts you over the sideline." That would save 2 to 3 tries out wide every game.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
When Fegai went inside for the umpteenth time this season, missed his man, resulting in two easy tries for Melbourne to storm back into the contest after we had jumped away to a 20-4 lead. They never lost the momentum after that, tho we never at any stage threw in the towel.
For the try, can't remember if it was the second or third to their winger, Feagai rushed in but for a change, not needlessly. There was ample time for Amone to get across to make the tackle. And when he didn't, ample opportunity for Sloan to get across and push him over the sideline.

Not defending Feagai in general. He and Rava both rushing in again and again (sometimes it's called for) is ridiculous. But there is plenty of blame to go around.

Only JDB and Lomax consistently defend adequately.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If you were in his place would you like to have two big boppers, Suli, Rava running at you. Simplest way and this he has to drum or have drummed into his head, is go low. I was a squirt when I played footy as a young bloke, but I was a great defender as Johnny Raper was my hero and I tried to emulate his cover defense, always around the waist then slipping down to trap the legs.
In my era Ron Coote had Rapers tackling style and ability

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
For the try, can't remember if it was the second or third to their winger, Feagai rushed in but for a change, not needlessly. There was ample time for Amone to get across to make the tackle. And when he didn't, ample opportunity for Sloan to get across and push him over the sideline.

Not defending Feagai in general. He and Rava both rushing in again and again (sometimes it's called for) is ridiculous. But there is plenty of blame to go around.

Only JDB and Lomax consistently defend adequately.
The problem that our defensive structure has especially on the left is the players are ad libbing. They rush in to make the big hit, the problem is that they fail to time the run in to when that opposition player actually has possession of the ball. Mistimed the hit and you have egg all over your face and gift the opposition a 2 man overlap