Round 4 v Cronulla

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Last week’s Dragons team:

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Jayden Sullivan 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Moses Mbye 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Ben Murdoch-Masila 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack Bird 14. Jacob Liddle 15. Zane Musgrove 17. Josh Kerr 18. Michael Molo 20. Jaiyden Hunt

Team tips: Jack de Belin is close to returning from a calf injury but few changes are expected for the Dragons from their loss to Brisbane. Jayden Sullivan’s form at five-eighth means Talatau Amone will likely have to bide his time in his bid to return since being cleared by the NRL to play.

Something might need to be done about Murdoch-Masila. He needs a rest during the game.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Last week’s Dragons team:

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Jayden Sullivan 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Moses Mbye 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Ben Murdoch-Masila 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack Bird 14. Jacob Liddle 15. Zane Musgrove 17. Josh Kerr 18. Michael Molo 20. Jaiyden Hunt

Team tips: Jack de Belin is close to returning from a calf injury but few changes are expected for the Dragons from their loss to Brisbane. Jayden Sullivan’s form at five-eighth means Talatau Amone will likely have to bide his time in his bid to return since being cleared by the NRL to play.

Something might need to be done about Murdoch-Masila. He needs a rest during the game.
As I said in another forum MM looked unfit, uninterested and appeared to be playing in a position foreign to him. I said he should be dropped to NSW Cup until his fitness improves. His stat's in the 2 games are very ordinary

Eric

Staff
WTF is going on with JDB?

Dragons:

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jayden Sullivan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Moses Mbye
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Ben Murdoch-Masila
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack Bird
  14. Jacob Liddle
  15. Zane Musgrove
  16. Toby Couchman
  17. Josh Kerr
  18. Michael Molo

Analysis: After making his debut against the Titans in Round 2 and sitting out for a week with a head knock, Toby Couchman returns on the bench. Once again Junior Amone has been named in the reserves.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons:

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jayden Sullivan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Moses Mbye
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Ben Murdoch-Masila
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack Bird
  14. Jacob Liddle
  15. Zane Musgrove
  16. Toby Couchman
  17. Josh Kerr
  18. Michael Molo

Analysis: After making his debut against the Titans in Round 2 and sitting out for a week with a head knock, Toby Couchman returns on the bench. Once again Junior Amone has been named in the reserves.
And rightly so

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons:

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jayden Sullivan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Moses Mbye
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Ben Murdoch-Masila
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack Bird
  14. Jacob Liddle
  15. Zane Musgrove
  16. Toby Couchman
  17. Josh Kerr
  18. Michael Molo

Is JDB injured or something else going on? I thought he was touch and go for the trials but a certain starter for round 2.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I was going to use same words Eric Eric. You can bet Griffin is giving his Broncs pet Bird an easy ride. He couldnt play in JDB's shadow. Meanwhile our forward defense will continue to miss tackes JBD makes and putting our rookie fullback under immense pressure trying to take on three guys at once.

Why was Michael Molo left out Griffin??? Was about our most impacting forward along with his brother on Sat-- 23 piddling minutes our crap coach gave him and he still came up with 74 metres. He destroys defenses like a bulldozer.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I was going to use same words Eric Eric. You can bet Griffin is giving his Broncs pet Bird an easy ride. He couldnt play in JDB's shadow. Meanwhile our forward defense will continue to miss tackes JBD makes and putting our rookie fullback under immense pressure trying to take on three guys at once.
Bird is untouchable. In his defence, so far this season his defence has been better, hasn't it? Was caught out of position for a GC try but haven't seen him hang an arm out and let opposition run straight past him. But is JDB injured or what?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Griffin is burying himself by not dropping some of those forwards that humiliated us in the last 10 minutes by allowing a bulldozing Payne Haas to toy with them. I freeze framed the incidents and Frank Molo and Zane Musgrove (first) Jayden Sua (second) were the main culprits but just as guilty in the second were Suli and Sullivan who Haas use as a speed bump. Zac Lomax should also cop a tongue lashing from Ryan Carr for missing his man that led to one of the tries. There are also guys that need the same for their poor reading in defense. Rava the worst offender. If he leaves his wing again unless he is saving a certain try, he should be sent back to Ressies as he is costing us valuable points.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Bird is untouchable. In his defence, so far this season his defence has been better, hasn't it? Was caught out of position for a GC try but haven't seen him hang an arm out and let opposition run straight past him. But is JDB injured or what?
It's obviously only early but Birds stat's so far in regards to defence are outstanding this season. There is no doubt in my mind that he hit the tackling bags in the off season and he adjusted his technique and style. Made 75 tackles so avg 37.5 in 2 games missed 5, unfortunately 4 in the last game so 2.5 a game. Last season he avg 26.75 tackles a game and missed 3.67. So work rate is up perhaps a bit more competition for a starting spot has refocused him. JDB should be available next week

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Griffin is burying himself by not dropping some of those forwards that humiliated us in the last 10 minutes by allowing a bulldozing Payne Haas to toy with them. I freeze framed the incidents and Frank Molo and Zane Musgrove (first) Jayden Sua (second) were the main culprits but just as guilty in the second were Suli and Sullivan who Haas use as a speed bump. Zac Lomax should also cop a tongue lashing from Ryan Carr for missing his man that led to one of the tries. There are also guys that need the same for their poor reading in defense. Rava the worst offender. If he leaves his wing again unless he is saving a certain try, he should be sent back to Ressies as he is costing us valuable points.
Senior players have had no accountability for far too long!

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It's obviously only early but Birds stat's so far in regards to defence are outstanding this season. There is no doubt in my mind that he hit the tackling bags in the off season and he adjusted his technique and style. Made 75 tackles so avg 37.5 in 2 games missed 5, unfortunately 4 in the last game so 2.5 a game. Last season he avg 26.75 tackles a game and missed 3.67. So work rate is up perhaps a bit more competition for a starting spot has refocused him. JDB should be available next week
So I wasn't just imagining it.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Good analysis I watched the game again at home and reached the same conclusions with the addition of Sloan who needs to place himself and read the game better in defence

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Must be bad Calf injury, next week he will be available but I'd suggest off the bench
I suggest we throw him in from the start. We are losing games because our forward defense has been brittle specially close to our line. JDB will stiffen it and hopefully the rest will follow his lead.
Instead of R&R looking only to buy big bopper metre eaters we should take a look at that players defensive record first. IMO defense wins games as much as offense. There is a guy we picked up from Qld Cup, I suggest a journeyman, he was our best defensive forward in the Charity Shield. A red headed bloke. Name forgotten for the moment.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Isn't it worth considering that the Dragons were without their best defender? Without him, the rest just couldn't keep it going for 80min.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Made 75 tackles
I read those stats too. I rate the first guy into the tackle that manages to actually stop the progress of the ball runner as the affective defender and should be credited with that tackle. JDB and other top defenders do this. , whereas those that join in the tackle unless they , say, are able to stop an offload, dont deserve the credit. Betting of those 75 tackles Bird is accredited with almost all were joining in or if he was first into it he was unable to affectively stop the ball runner.

Last edited: