St George Illawarra in 2023

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
the team I'd like to see for round 1 next year.
  1. Sloan (needs a rocket)
  2. Finau or Lobb
  3. Fegai
  4. Lomax
  5. Feagai
  6. Sullivan (Amone is probably going to be doing a year or 2 of hard time)
  7. Hunt
  8. Musgrove
  9. Liddle or Mulhisen
  10. Lawrie
  11. Couchman
  12. Su'a
  13. JDB

14. Bird
  15. Couchman
  16. Johnson
  17. Fifita

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I just read this. Sounds right.

There’s five key appointments the struggling clubs simply can’t afford to get wrong.
  1. A strong head coach
  2. A sharp chief executive
  3. An experienced general manager of football
  4. A top operator in the recruitment space and
  5. A forward-thinking head of high performance
At present the Dragons don't have 1, 2, 3 and I don't know about 4 and 5.
1 - 4 we haven't got 5 unknown. But this is just basic requirements and we haven't had 1 - 4 for the last 10 yrs

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
the team I'd like to see for round 1 next year.
  1. Sloan (needs a rocket)
  2. Finau or Lobb
  3. Fegai
  4. Lomax
  5. Feagai
  6. Sullivan (Amone is probably going to be doing a year or 2 of hard time)
  7. Hunt
  8. Musgrove
  9. Liddle or Mulhisen
  10. Lawrie
  11. Couchman
  12. Su'a
  13. JDB

14. Bird
  15. Couchman
  16. Johnson
  17. Fifita
Just my opinion we are 2 props short

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Fifita, Musgrove, Lawrie, Johnson
No I know you actually picked 4 but we really are desperate to get 2 experienced props that could guide and teach the younger players their trade. I'm hoping that if we do appoint a new coach he maybe able to attract the necessary players, just don't know who is available to fill the void

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
No I know you actually picked 4 but we really are desperate to get 2 experienced props that could guide and teach the younger players their trade. I'm hoping that if we do appoint a new coach he maybe able to attract the necessary players, just don't know who is available to fill the void
The pack would contain JDB, Musgrove, perhaps Liddle, Lawrie, Su'a and Bird as an interchange utility. I think it makes for a young pack but not too much. Probably not the youngest. And Murdoch-Masila will still be on the books next year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The pack would contain JDB, Musgrove, perhaps Liddle, Lawrie, Su'a and Bird as an interchange utility. I think it makes for a young pack but not too much. Probably not the youngest. And Murdoch-Masila will still be on the books next year.
We need to see some of our younger props be tested especially the two we just purchased.

Eric

Staff

DRAGONS

Grade: E

Mid-season standing: 17th

Pre-season prediction: Wooden spoon

Last year’s finish: 10th

Best value player: Jacob Liddle ($200,000)

Breakout star in 2024: Savelio Tamale

Key stat: Finish 2023 with their fewest ever wins in their lowest ever ladder position.

Crawley says: An absolute train wreck to start the season with Anthony Griffin’s sacking backed up by skipper Ben Hunt’s demand for a release during the Origin period. But from there the Dragons have fought back with some brave performances. If not for a few dodgy calls they could have a few more wins. Ryan Carr has done a good job.

Crystal ball: Shane Flanagan’s arrival has brought hope but am still not convinced there is a quick fix on the horizon. Hame Sele is the only confirmed signing and the jury’s out on whether Tyrell Sloan can be the long term fullback, or is it time to shift Zac Lomax?

Seems fair

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Dragons Medal (Dragons player of the year): Blake Lawrie
Club Person of the Year: Scott Stewart
The Immortals Trophy: Jack De Belin
Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy (NRL Emerging Talent): Toby Couchman
Red V Members Player of the Year: Blake Lawrie
Community Involvement Award: Blake Lawrie
Mark Coyne Trophy for Career Development: Tyrell Fuimaono
NSW Cup Coaches Award: Zane Musgrove
Paul McGregor Trophy (Jersey Flegg Player of the Year): Ben Johnson

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
How can we not love this bloke?

It was believed that Doust had an issue with appointing Flanagan due to his hugely publicised NRL-enforced suspension from the game while coach of the Sharks in 2014. But, in his first major interview in more than five years, Doust refuted the assertion. Instead, he explained his belief in Flanagan by comparing him to supercoach Wayne Bennett.

“Wayne was good at networking. His personality was much different in an environment like this (last Friday morning), than he was in the media,” Doust said. “I remember I used to take him to places and it would stun me with his way of connecting with a wide array of people, from academics to your average Aussie.

“Shane is similar. “He’s going to make the changes that we need, which can put some sugar on the cake.’’ When asked if the reports were correct that he didn’t want Flanagan at the club, Doust replied: “I don’t know where it comes from, or why it came around. “I’ve never had any agenda other than to say I have been very impressed with Shane.

“Coaches have a lot of responsibility for their clubs and I listened to the fact that he’s learned a lot in the time that he was away from the game. “That weighs heavily on me, I don’t think you can hold people overly responsible for the past. “Listening to him, you know he’s the right person (for the Dragons). “He’s taken time to understand what the club has been and can be. “I’m very impressed and he’s got our (board) support.’’

i.e. he didn't refute the assertion and it's true. He doesn't know where it came from. i.e. he doesn't know who leaked it. That is probably true.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
How can we not love this bloke?

It was believed that Doust had an issue with appointing Flanagan due to his hugely publicised NRL-enforced suspension from the game while coach of the Sharks in 2014. But, in his first major interview in more than five years, Doust refuted the assertion. Instead, he explained his belief in Flanagan by comparing him to supercoach Wayne Bennett.

“Wayne was good at networking. His personality was much different in an environment like this (last Friday morning), than he was in the media,” Doust said. “I remember I used to take him to places and it would stun me with his way of connecting with a wide array of people, from academics to your average Aussie.

“Shane is similar. “He’s going to make the changes that we need, which can put some sugar on the cake.’’ When asked if the reports were correct that he didn’t want Flanagan at the club, Doust replied: “I don’t know where it comes from, or why it came around. “I’ve never had any agenda other than to say I have been very impressed with Shane.

“Coaches have a lot of responsibility for their clubs and I listened to the fact that he’s learned a lot in the time that he was away from the game. “That weighs heavily on me, I don’t think you can hold people overly responsible for the past. “Listening to him, you know he’s the right person (for the Dragons). “He’s taken time to understand what the club has been and can be. “I’m very impressed and he’s got our (board) support.’’

i.e. he didn't refute the assertion and it's true. He doesn't know where it came from. i.e. he doesn't know who leaked it. That is probably true.
I guess we should give him credit for not lying.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Every club’s 2023 breakout star​

DRAGONS

Dan Russell. The PNG international was drafted in to the team by interim coach Ryan Carr and took his opportunity with both hands. Following an injury to Jaydn Su’A and Ben Murdoch-Masila falling down the pecking order, Russell emerged as a solution in the backrow and was solid. He played off the bench in Round 19 before starting in seven games, with six of those appearances being 80-minute displays. The 27-year-old has certainly given incoming coach Shane Flanagan a lot to think about ahead of the 2024 season and could be the man to take over on the left edge, with Su’A an obvious choice on the right. Russell‘s first eight NRL appearances were solid and he will be desperate to add to that tally next season.

What a failure! Our "breakout star" is a 27 year-old "workman like" second rower. Nothing sums up the Griffin era better than this.
I don't think he's a bad player. Way better second rower than Bird. But he's hardly "a star".