St George Illawarra in 2023

Eric

Staff
BIG DREAD VEE
St George Illawarra Dragons fans, please blame the crystal ball and not your correspondent. I see a four-way battle for the wooden spoon between the Tigers, Cowboys, Warriors – and, yes, the Dragons. Anthony Griffin hasn’t really improved his team and the lack of resolve over the past few years makes you wonder where this proud club is heading.

This is according to Phillip Rothfield. He also predicted Shonkies to finish 5th! So I'm just leaving it here so we can laugh at the absurdity as the season progresses.

Eric

Staff

Is Amone the man to solve the Dragons’ No.6 problem?​

Teenager Talatau Amone says he wants to wear St George Illawarra’s famous No.6 jersey in “each and every game” this season as coach Anthony Griffin weighs up which of his young playmakers will partner Ben Hunt in the halves.

Amone, 19, admitted talking to young teammate Jayden Sullivan before the latter penned a three-year extension with St George Illawarra Dragons until the end of 2025, with the pair set to square off in the pre-season for the five-eighth position.

Both showed glimpses of their immense potential towards the end of last season despite the Dragons slumping to a club-record eight straight losses to finish the year. But Corey Norman’s release - he has since announced his retirement from the NRL - has brought St George Illawarra’s future firmly into the present.

Along with Sullivan, fullback Tyrell Sloan and the Feagai twins, Mat and Max, Amone will be part of the nucleus of a squad desperate to play finals football for the first time since 2018.

Asked about the race to be Hunt’s halves partner, Amone said: “I was trying to work for that No.6 jersey [last year]. Corey Norman was in front of me, and I was just waiting for my turn. I knew my time was going to come. As soon as that spot opened up, Hook asked me and I said, ‘I’m ready, I want to show you what I’ve got’.

“In training, Griffin has been talking to me about it. I’ve just got to prove to him now I’m ready to play each and every game in the No.6 jersey. That’s the goal. Now we’ve just got to see what happens in the future and keep on training hard.”

Anthony Mundine, Trent Barrett and 2010 premiership winner Jamie Soward are among those to have worn the Red V’s No.6 jersey since the joint venture was formed in 1999.

Amone is tied to the Dragons until the end of 2023 - the same year in which Hunt’s massive contract ends - and already rival clubs are watching with interest as to how St George Illawarra juggle the futures of both he and Sullivan.

“We had a talk about it before Sully re-signed,” Amone said. “We do like playing with each other and feel like we bounce off each other really well. We play a similar type of footy and if we can, 100 per cent we want to stay together.

“We grew up together and all had the same dream. We always talked about it. Seeing [Sullivan and Sloan] do it as well is a great feeling. But nothing is ever certain. If we can [stay together], we will.”

Amone, who counts professional boxer Justis Huni among his cousins, has used boxing as a key part of his pre-season and has been impressed with the versatility of Tigers recruit Moses Mbye, who’s another candidate to fill the five-eighth position if needed.

Mbye will join a slew of recruits including Jaydn Su’A (Rabbitohs), Moses Suli (Sea Eagles), Francis Molo (Cowboys), George Burgess (Wigan) and Aaron Woods (Sharks) in hoping to convince St George Illawarra’s board to extend coach Griffin’s contract beyond the upcoming season.

“He’s a fantastic coach and he knows the way I play,” Amone said. “He keeps the structure we can play around, but if we see an opportunity he wants us to take it. He gives us confidence to back ourselves.

“Some coaches say, ‘you need to stick to this plan or you need to stick to that plan’, but he says, ‘if you see an opportunity, I know you’ve got the talent to do it, so you’ve got to back yourself’. He always makes sure your life off the field is good to make sure you perform on the field.

“I feel like we don’t need to look into what people expect of us [in 2022]. We know what we’ve got to do to be a better team.”

It's interesting the long-term 5/8s we have had. Mundine, Barrett, Soward, Widdop, Norman.

I'd have to say Soward #1 because he took us to the promised land.
#2 Mundine I know he left in bad circumstances but IMO it had a lot to do with Nathan Brown who was thrown in the deep end way before his time.
#3 Widdop. I know this may be controversial but Barrett was playing with Gaz, Coops, Morris, Nightingale outside of him and Smith, Young, Ryles, Baily inside of him. Barrett was the captain and playmaker. He has to take most of the blame IMO. Compare that to who Widdop had around him!
#4 Barrett. As above. Good player but failed where Soward succeeded.
#5 Norman. No-brainer. I think he tried hard but the game had gone past him. McGregor still had him on massive overs.

On another note, it's good if all these young guys are friends. Hopefully it would compel them to stick together even if they can make more money elsewhere.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Teenager Talatau Amone says he wants to wear St George Illawarra’s famous No.6 jersey in “each and every game” this season as coach Anthony Griffin weighs up which of his young playmakers will partner Ben Hunt in the halves.

Amone, 19, admitted talking to young teammate Jayden Sullivan before the latter penned a three-year extension with St George Illawarra Dragons until the end of 2025, with the pair set to square off in the pre-season for the five-eighth position.

Both showed glimpses of their immense potential towards the end of last season despite the Dragons slumping to a club-record eight straight losses to finish the year. But Corey Norman’s release - he has since announced his retirement from the NRL - has brought St George Illawarra’s future firmly into the present.

Along with Sullivan, fullback Tyrell Sloan and the Feagai twins, Mat and Max, Amone will be part of the nucleus of a squad desperate to play finals football for the first time since 2018.

Asked about the race to be Hunt’s halves partner, Amone said: “I was trying to work for that No.6 jersey [last year]. Corey Norman was in front of me, and I was just waiting for my turn. I knew my time was going to come. As soon as that spot opened up, Hook asked me and I said, ‘I’m ready, I want to show you what I’ve got’.

“In training, Griffin has been talking to me about it. I’ve just got to prove to him now I’m ready to play each and every game in the No.6 jersey. That’s the goal. Now we’ve just got to see what happens in the future and keep on training hard.”

Anthony Mundine, Trent Barrett and 2010 premiership winner Jamie Soward are among those to have worn the Red V’s No.6 jersey since the joint venture was formed in 1999.

Amone is tied to the Dragons until the end of 2023 - the same year in which Hunt’s massive contract ends - and already rival clubs are watching with interest as to how St George Illawarra juggle the futures of both he and Sullivan.

“We had a talk about it before Sully re-signed,” Amone said. “We do like playing with each other and feel like we bounce off each other really well. We play a similar type of footy and if we can, 100 per cent we want to stay together.

“We grew up together and all had the same dream. We always talked about it. Seeing [Sullivan and Sloan] do it as well is a great feeling. But nothing is ever certain. If we can [stay together], we will.”

Amone, who counts professional boxer Justis Huni among his cousins, has used boxing as a key part of his pre-season and has been impressed with the versatility of Tigers recruit Moses Mbye, who’s another candidate to fill the five-eighth position if needed.

Mbye will join a slew of recruits including Jaydn Su’A (Rabbitohs), Moses Suli (Sea Eagles), Francis Molo (Cowboys), George Burgess (Wigan) and Aaron Woods (Sharks) in hoping to convince St George Illawarra’s board to extend coach Griffin’s contract beyond the upcoming season.

“He’s a fantastic coach and he knows the way I play,” Amone said. “He keeps the structure we can play around, but if we see an opportunity he wants us to take it. He gives us confidence to back ourselves.

“Some coaches say, ‘you need to stick to this plan or you need to stick to that plan’, but he says, ‘if you see an opportunity, I know you’ve got the talent to do it, so you’ve got to back yourself’. He always makes sure your life off the field is good to make sure you perform on the field.

“I feel like we don’t need to look into what people expect of us [in 2022]. We know what we’ve got to do to be a better team.”

It's interesting the long-term 5/8s we have had. Mundine, Barrett, Soward, Widdop, Norman.

#2 Mundine I know he left in bad circumstances but IMO it had a lot to do with Nathan Brown who was thrown in the deep end way before his time.
#3 Widdop. I know this may be controversial but Barrett was playing with Gaz, Coops, Morris, Nightingale outside of him and Smith, Young, Ryles, Baily inside of him. Barrett was the captain and playmaker. He has to take most of the blame IMO. Compare that to who Widdop had around him!
#5 Norman. No-brainer. I think he tried hard but the game had gone past him. McGregor still had him on massive overs.

On another note, it's good if all these young guys are friends. Hopefully it would compel them to stick together even if they can make more money elsewhere.
Your list of 5/8s makes sense but couldn't you bump up Widdop and down Soward for the very reason you bumped down Barrett? One could spend forever on such arguments. Poor Widdop's backline was a joke compared to Soward's. I think the only way to measure it is by the success each of them achieved. So #1 Soward, #2 Barrett, #3 Mundine, #4 Widdop.

I'm not saying that is the order I would choose, just the only way to measure without bickering about it forever. Widdop was a really good player who contributed to abject failure. Soward was a really good player who heped bring about tremendous success so........ How to separate them other than as I have?

Eric

Staff

NRL 2022: St George Illawarra Dragons season preview, roster analysis, predicted finish​

St George Illawarra Dragons have overhauled their squad after another fadeout last season, but will it be enough for them to push for a finals berth in 2022?

St George Illawarra will enter 2022 with a new-look squad after fading to finish outside the top 8 for the third straight year in 2021. Nick Campton takes a deep dive into how St George Illawarra are shaping up for 2022.

2022 SQUAD

Daniel Alvaro, Junior Amone, Jack Bird, George Burgess, Billy Burns, Jack de Belin, Poasa Faamausili, Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Jackson Ford, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jack Gosiewski, Ben Hunt, Josh Kerr, Blake Lawrie, Zac Lomax, Moses Mbye, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Tautau Moga, Francis Molo, Cody Ramsey, Mikaele Ravalawa, Tariq Sims, Tyrell Sloan, Jaydn Su’A, Moses Suli, Jayden Sullivan, Aaron Woods.

INS: Francis Molo (Cowboys), Aaron Woods (Sharks), Moses Mbye (Tigers), Jaydn Su’A (Rabbitohs), Tautau Moga (Rabbitohs), Moses Suli (Sea Eagles), Jack Gosiewski (Sea Eagles).

OUTS: Tyran Wishart (Storm), Cameron McInnes (Sharks) Matt Dufty (Bulldogs), Paul Vaughan (Bulldogs), Adam Clune (Knights), Jordan Pereira (Broncos), Kaide Ellis (Wigan)

Brayden Wiliame (USA Perpignan), Gerard Beale (released), Billy Brittain (released), Hayden Lomax (released), Corey Norman (released), Trent Merrin (retired).

Judging by ins and outs, we will be far stronger next year. McInnes is the only NRL regular and IMO he was always overrated.

1. Tyrell Sloan
2. Mikaele Ravalawa
3. Zac Lomax
4. Moses Suli
5. Mathew Feagai
6. Talatau Amone
7. Ben Hunt
8. Blake Lawrie
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Jack de Belin
11. Tariq Sims
12. Jaydn Su’A
13. Jack Bird
14. Moses Mbye
15. Josh McGuire
16. Francis Molo
17. Tyrell Fuimaono

SQUAD STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS
: There’s plenty of depth in the forwards. Aaron Woods is still a very capable NRL prop but there might not be room for him in the club’s best 17, George Burgess faces a similarly uphill battle to play NRL week in, week out and Josh Kerr also might struggle to crack the side. After their lack of depth was exposed last season, the Dragons should not face such dramas again.

WEAKNESSES: Andrew McCullough is still a tough, honest player, but can he provide the creativity out of hooker the St George Illawarra need? The former Bronco is a rugged defender but his attacking spark has somewhat deserted him in recent years. With Moses Mbye the only other player in the squad who can line up at No.9 it’s a concern.

Unless the team is really killing it with Hunt at halfback, I reckon in the event of injury to McCullough, Hunt will go to hooker and Sullivan to halfback.

COACH STATUS AND SAFETY RATING

With just one season at the Dragons under his belt and in the midst of a clean-out, Anthony Griffin should be safe for at least one more season. Before the infamous barbecue tore the heart out of St George Illawarra’s season they were on track to defy the odds and make the finals, and even in the aftermath Griffin managed to blood plenty of youngsters who will form part of the club’s next generation of stars. There are plenty of new faces and moving parts for the Red V in 2022 and it might take some time for all the pieces to fit — but if the wooden spoon favourites match the bookie’s expectations for them early on, the drums will start beating for Griffin.

GAME PLAN/WHAT THEY NEED TO TWEAK

With just one season at the Dragons under his belt and in the midst of a clean-out, Anthony Griffin should be safe for at least one more season. Before the infamous barbecue tore the heart out of St George Illawarra’s season they were on track to defy the odds and make the finals, and even in the aftermath Griffin managed to blood plenty of youngsters who will form part of the club’s next generation of stars. There are plenty of new faces and moving parts for the Red V in 2022 and it might take some time for all the pieces to fit — but if the wooden spoon favourites match the bookie’s expectations for them early on, the drums will start beating for Griffin.

St George Illawarra must improve their defence before they do anything else. Their strong start to the year was built on keeping their line intact but things degenerated as the year went on in — 13 of their last 14 games for 2021 they conceded more than 20 points. Defensive resolve comes from combinations and attitude, two qualities that were sorely lacking down the stretch, but the good news for Griffin is if he can find his best 17 and stick with it, there should be a natural improvement for the Dragons on the defensive side of the ball.

FREE AGENCY WRAP AND RATING

In landing two Origin forwards (Francis Molo and Jaydn Su’A), St George Illawarra Dragons should have a little more muscle up-front with Su’A in particular producing his best season in first grade last year. Woods provides a strong veteran presence and will be good for culture, as will Mbye, although exactly what role the former Tigers skipper plays for his new club remains to be seen.

WHICH PLAYER CAN THEY REINVENT? MOSES SULI

It can be easy to forget Suli is still just 23. The former Tiger and Sea Eagle has been through plenty in his short NRL career but is still yet to realize the prodigious talent that earned him a deal worth $1.3 million before he’d played first grade. There were glimpses of Suli’s attacking talent in his four years at Manly that were undercut by defensive issues but there is undoubtedly plenty of good football in him somewhere. If Griffin can get the best out of him, Suli could end the year as one of the most damaging centres in the NRL.

I've been pretty consistent in wondering what this guy is going to be doing? I'd have both Feagai's ahead of him.

WILL DEVELOPMENT CONTRACT UPGRADED KIDS MAKE AN IMPACT? TYRELL SLOAN

Sloan was the diamond St George Illawarra discovered in the rough patch after their season fell apart. Despite beginning the season in SG Ball, Sloan looked right at home in the top grade and crossed for six tries in five games while justifying the club’s decision to move on from Matt Dufty. A languid athlete who always seems to have time, with another pre-season Sloan will take a huge step forward in 2022.

WHO TAKES THE NEXT STEP? JACK BIRD

After years plagued by injury, Bird managed to play 22 of 24 games last season and was quietly one of the club’s best players after the competition relocated to Queensland. After years of migrating through the line-up, Bird will spend 2022 as a ball-playing middle forward and perhaps that’s where he was supposed to be all along. With his skill, footwork and ability to beat defenders, Bird will add a new dimension to the Dragons forward play and could well hit career-best form should his body hold up.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR ... JACK DE BELIN

De Belin was solid on return for the Dragons last year but the club will have high expectations for 2022 given his salary upgrade during his 2½ years on the sidelines as he faced sexual assault chargers that were ultimately dropped. With plenty of competition for spots and the Dragons needing results from the jump, de Belin will have to prove he’s still got what it takes to be a top-class NRL middle.

CAPTAINCY CONTENDERS — BEN HUNT

Given the pressure and scrutiny Hunt attracts due to his monster contract it was a little surprising for Griffin to hand him the captaincy but Hunt thrived with the responsibility, producing his best year as a Dragon even as things fell apart around him. The Queenslander leads with his words and by example, and was at the heart of everything good about the club in 2021. He’ll be the big man on campus for as long as he wants.

WHERE THEY FINISH IN 2022 — 10TH

Wooden spoon talk is a little wide of the mark for the Dragons — there is too much raw talent here for them to bottom out completely, and Griffin has won at least 10 matches in every season he’s coached in the NRL. The finals may a bit beyond them, but they will be in the mix until the final few weeks of the regular season.

FOX SPORTS LAB’S AARON WALLACE SAYS ...

2021 was the third straight season missing the finals for St George Illawarra. Since Wayne Bennett left at the end of the 2011 season they have made the finals just twice in 10 years.

Their 2021 season was ultimately derailed due to the notorious barbecue scandal which saw the club finish the season with eight straight losses, their most in club history. Three of their four first choice spine from the start of the season will not be at the club in 2022 but will be buoyed by end of season form of season debutant Tyrell Sloan, who became the first St George Illawarra player to score in his first five games (six tries).

This is more optimistic than many of the predictions but I still they are underestimating us.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Your list of 5/8s makes sense but couldn't you bump up Widdop and down Soward for the very reason you bumped down Barrett? One could spend forever on such arguments. Poor Widdop's backline was a joke compared to Soward's. I think the only way to measure it is by the success each of them achieved. So #1 Soward, #2 Barrett, #3 Mundine, #4 Widdop.

I'm not saying that is the order I would choose, just the only way to measure without bickering about it forever. Widdop was a really good player who contributed to abject failure. Soward was a really good player who heped bring about tremendous success so........ How to separate them other than as I have?
No.1, Sowie
No.2, daylight
No.3, Barrett, Choc, Widdop (alphabetical order)
No.4, daylight
No.5, Norman

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

The biggest difference was the coach they were playing under, not the players they had around them.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

NRL 2022: St George Illawarra Dragons season preview, roster analysis, predicted finish​

St George Illawarra Dragons have overhauled their squad after another fadeout last season, but will it be enough for them to push for a finals berth in 2022?

St George Illawarra will enter 2022 with a new-look squad after fading to finish outside the top 8 for the third straight year in 2021. Nick Campton takes a deep dive into how St George Illawarra are shaping up for 2022.

2022 SQUAD

Daniel Alvaro, Junior Amone, Jack Bird, George Burgess, Billy Burns, Jack de Belin, Poasa Faamausili, Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Jackson Ford, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jack Gosiewski, Ben Hunt, Josh Kerr, Blake Lawrie, Zac Lomax, Moses Mbye, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Tautau Moga, Francis Molo, Cody Ramsey, Mikaele Ravalawa, Tariq Sims, Tyrell Sloan, Jaydn Su’A, Moses Suli, Jayden Sullivan, Aaron Woods.

INS: Francis Molo (Cowboys), Aaron Woods (Sharks), Moses Mbye (Tigers), Jaydn Su’A (Rabbitohs), Tautau Moga (Rabbitohs), Moses Suli (Sea Eagles), Jack Gosiewski (Sea Eagles).

OUTS: Tyran Wishart (Storm), Cameron McInnes (Sharks) Matt Dufty (Bulldogs), Paul Vaughan (Bulldogs), Adam Clune (Knights), Jordan Pereira (Broncos), Kaide Ellis (Wigan)

Brayden Wiliame (USA Perpignan), Gerard Beale (released), Billy Brittain (released), Hayden Lomax (released), Corey Norman (released), Trent Merrin (retired).

Judging by ins and outs, we will be far stronger next year. McInnes is the only NRL regular and IMO he was always overrated.

1. Tyrell Sloan
2. Mikaele Ravalawa
3. Zac Lomax
4. Moses Suli
5. Mathew Feagai
6. Talatau Amone
7. Ben Hunt
8. Blake Lawrie
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Jack de Belin
11. Tariq Sims
12. Jaydn Su’A
13. Jack Bird
14. Moses Mbye
15. Josh McGuire
16. Francis Molo
17. Tyrell Fuimaono

STRENGTHS
: There’s plenty of depth in the forwards. Aaron Woods is still a very capable NRL prop but there might not be room for him in the club’s best 17, George Burgess faces a similarly uphill battle to play NRL week in, week out and Josh Kerr also might struggle to crack the side. After their lack of depth was exposed last season, the Dragons should not face such dramas again.

WEAKNESSES: Andrew McCullough is still a tough, honest player, but can he provide the creativity out of hooker the St George Illawarra need? The former Bronco is a rugged defender but his attacking spark has somewhat deserted him in recent years. With Moses Mbye the only other player in the squad who can line up at No.9 it’s a concern.

Unless the team is really killing it with Hunt at halfback, I reckon in the event of injury to McCullough, Hunt will go to hooker and Sullivan to halfback.

St George Illawarra must improve their defence before they do anything else. Their strong start to the year was built on keeping their line intact but things degenerated as the year went on in — 13 of their last 14 games for 2021 they conceded more than 20 points. Defensive resolve comes from combinations and attitude, two qualities that were sorely lacking down the stretch, but the good news for Griffin is if he can find his best 17 and stick with it, there should be a natural improvement for the Dragons on the defensive side of the ball.

In landing two Origin forwards (Francis Molo and Jaydn Su’A), St George Illawarra Dragons should have a little more muscle up-front with Su’A in particular producing his best season in first grade last year. Woods provides a strong veteran presence and will be good for culture, as will Mbye, although exactly what role the former Tigers skipper plays for his new club remains to be seen.

It can be easy to forget Suli is still just 23. The former Tiger and Sea Eagle has been through plenty in his short NRL career but is still yet to realize the prodigious talent that earned him a deal worth $1.3 million before he’d played first grade. There were glimpses of Suli’s attacking talent in his four years at Manly that were undercut by defensive issues but there is undoubtedly plenty of good football in him somewhere. If Griffin can get the best out of him, Suli could end the year as one of the most damaging centres in the NRL.

I've been pretty consistent in wondering what this guy is going to be doing? I'd have both Feagai's ahead of him.

Sloan was the diamond St George Illawarra discovered in the rough patch after their season fell apart. Despite beginning the season in SG Ball, Sloan looked right at home in the top grade and crossed for six tries in five games while justifying the club’s decision to move on from Matt Dufty. A languid athlete who always seems to have time, with another pre-season Sloan will take a huge step forward in 2022.

After years plagued by injury, Bird managed to play 22 of 24 games last season and was quietly one of the club’s best players after the competition relocated to Queensland. After years of migrating through the line-up, Bird will spend 2022 as a ball-playing middle forward and perhaps that’s where he was supposed to be all along. With his skill, footwork and ability to beat defenders, Bird will add a new dimension to the Dragons forward play and could well hit career-best form should his body hold up.

De Belin was solid on return for the Dragons last year but the club will have high expectations for 2022 given his salary upgrade during his 2½ years on the sidelines as he faced sexual assault chargers that were ultimately dropped. With plenty of competition for spots and the Dragons needing results from the jump, de Belin will have to prove he’s still got what it takes to be a top-class NRL middle.

Given the pressure and scrutiny Hunt attracts due to his monster contract it was a little surprising for Griffin to hand him the captaincy but Hunt thrived with the responsibility, producing his best year as a Dragon even as things fell apart around him. The Queenslander leads with his words and by example, and was at the heart of everything good about the club in 2021. He’ll be the big man on campus for as long as he wants.

Wooden spoon talk is a little wide of the mark for the Dragons — there is too much raw talent here for them to bottom out completely, and Griffin has won at least 10 matches in every season he’s coached in the NRL. The finals may a bit beyond them, but they will be in the mix until the final few weeks of the regular season.

FOX SPORTS LAB’S AARON WALLACE SAYS ...

2021 was the third straight season missing the finals for St George Illawarra. Since Wayne Bennett left at the end of the 2011 season they have made the finals just twice in 10 years.

Their 2021 season was ultimately derailed due to the notorious barbecue scandal which saw the club finish the season with eight straight losses, their most in club history. Three of their four first choice spine from the start of the season will not be at the club in 2022 but will be buoyed by end of season form of season debutant Tyrell Sloan, who became the first St George Illawarra player to score in his first five games (six tries).

This is more optimistic than many of the predictions but I still they are underestimating us.
Our Ins are so much better than the Outs it is like a joke.

Hopefully Hunt stays healthy all season and then Sullivan from 2023. Trade Hunt off to Redcliff for 2023.

Too much confidence in the Feagai's too soon and not enough in Suli. I hope the Feagai's are as good as we think.

Is Jack Bird a better lock than Jack de Belin? Burgess or Woods to start at prop with Lawrie, de Belin at lock and Bird on the bench for me.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff

Hopefully Hunt stays healthy all season and then Sullivan from 2023. Trade Hunt off to Redcliff for 2023.

Too much confidence in the Feagai's too soon and not enough in Suli. I hope the Feagai's are as good as we think.

Is Jack Bird a better lock than Jack de Belin? Burgess or Woods to start at prop with Lawrie, de Belin at lock and Bird on the bench for me.
JDB will play the same way whether he starts as a prop or lock. A better question is if Bird is better off starting ahead of Molo / Woods / Burgess / Lawrie.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

JDB will play the same way whether he starts as a prop or lock. A better question is if Bird is better off starting ahead of Molo / Woods / Burgess / Lawrie.
Good points. It might come down to how fast the game is next year. If it's the same as this year, I think Bird at lock and de Belin at prop but I think they want to slow it down a little. Went a little too far last season. This being so, I agree it should be a shootout between Molo, Lawrie, Burgess, Woods for starting props but with one off the bench. After de Belin gets a rest and Bird comes on, de Belin to come back on as a prop and Bird to stay on for the remainder of the game. That's my two cents worth✌️.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

2022 SQUAD

1. Tyrell Sloan
2. Mikaele Ravalawa
3. Zac Lomax
4. Moses Suli
5. Mathew Feagai
6. Talatau Amone
7. Ben Hunt
8. Blake Lawrie
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Jack de Belin
11. Tariq Sims
12. Jaydn Su’A
13. Jack Bird
14. Moses Mbye
15. Josh McGuire
16. Francis Molo
17. Tyrell Fuimaono

STRENGTHS

To be honest, except what we have discussed above, this team is pretty close to what I want to see. I wasn't a fan of signing Mbye but as a bench utility, I think it's a good idea. So if Woods or Burgess comes into the 17, I guess it's a shootout between Fuimaono and McGuire. And we are forgetting about Billy Burns! I know he didn't show a great deal last season but with a full pre-season under his belt, a few more kgs of muscle but the same speed, he shouldn't be written off!

There will be injuries so the depth is a good thing but the best 17 is really hard to nominate at this time.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
To be honest, except what we have discussed above, this team is pretty close to what I want to see. I wasn't a fan of signing Mbye but as a bench utility, I think it's a good idea. So if Woods or Burgess comes into the 17, I guess it's a shootout between Fuimaono and McGuire. And we are forgetting about Billy Burns! I know he didn't show a great deal last season but with a full pre-season under his belt, a few more kgs of muscle but the same speed, he shouldn't be written off!

There will be injuries so the depth is a good thing but the best 17 is really hard to nominate at this time.
There is also the backrower that came from Manly. Won't go down as an immortal but not useless.

Manly should have serious problems holding onto a lot of players who they'd like to keep but can't. Cause they have 3 very highly paid players to our one. They are probably paying some of Suli's freight as well.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
There is also the backrower that came from Manly. Won't go down as an immortal but not useless.

Manly should have serious problems holding onto a lot of players who they'd like to keep but can't. Cause they have 3 very highly paid players to our one. They are probably paying some of Suli's freight as well.
His name is Jack Gosiewski. I can't recall seeing him play but if this info is correct, he's likely to get smashed in the forwards, isn't he? He's also 27! That must be correct. Not so sure I'm as optimistic about him as you. Hook has recruited too many journeyman, veterans and fringe NRL players IMO.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
His name is Jack Gosiewski. I can't recall seeing him play but if this info is correct, he's likely to get smashed in the forwards, isn't he? He's also 27! That must be correct. Not so sure I'm as optimistic about him as you. Hook has recruited too many journeyman, veterans and fringe NRL players IMO.
I see. A 27 year-old, 95kg backrower may not be a tackle busting machine.

WhyTF can't we find a good, young backrower yet to play NRL??!!

Maybe they are recruiting these journeymen and veterans because they think very highly of the young forwards coming through but judge they are at still a year or two away from NRL.

I hope that's the case. Otherwise this recruitment strategy looks like a disaster.

Eric

Staff

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

The top 30 roster boasts a stack of depth in the forwards with guys like Alvaro, Burns and Woods. It’s further bolstered by NSW Cup players Micheal Molo, Josh Coric and Jackson Shereb. Recruit Moses Mbye is a versatile option that can play off the bench, at hooker and in the backline. Another option at hooker is youngster Connor Muhleisen, who has trained with the NRL side over the summer and will feature in NSW Cup next season.

On paper, Anthony Griffin’s backline stocks look thin especially in the halves if Talatau Amone partners Ben Hunt and Mbye plays off the bench.

TOP 30 ROSTER

FORWARDS

Second row: Tariq Sims, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jaydn Su‘A, Jackson Ford, Billy Burns, Jack Gosiewski

Prop: George Burgess, Josh McGuire, Blake Lawrie, Josh Kerr, Poasa Faamausili, Aaron Woods, Daniel Alvaro, Francis Molo, Jaiyden Hunt

Hooker: Andrew McCullough

Lock: Jack de Belin (and prop)

BACKS

Fullback: Moses Mbye

Wing: Mikaele Ravalawa, Cody Ramsey (and fullback)

Centre: Zac Lomax, Jack Bird (and lock), Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Moses Suli, Tautau Moga

Five-eighth: Talatau Amone, Jayden Sullivan

Halfback: Ben Hunt

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS: Tyrell Sloan (fullback), Shalom O‘Ofou (second row)

FEEDER CLUB: St George Illawarra Dragons

Really outstanding depth. If there are lots of injuries across the competition, we are going to be really strong. Zac Lomax is really good at making space, getting on the outside of opposition and putting players around him away but not as good as many centres in busting tackles and going through the line himself. If one or the both the Feagai's can do that or if Suli does that but doesn't suck in other areas of the game and Sloan works out at fullback, I think we are going to be really hard to beat.

Cautiously optimistic!
I see. A 27 year-old, 95kg backrower may not be a tackle busting machine.

WhyTF can't we find a good, young backrower yet to play NRL??!!

Maybe they are recruiting these journeymen and veterans because they think very highly of the young forwards coming through but judge they are at still a year or two away from NRL.

I hope that's the case. Otherwise this recruitment strategy looks like a disaster.
What do you know about Shalom O‘Ofou?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

The top 30 roster boasts a stack of depth in the forwards with guys like Alvaro, Burns and Woods. It’s further bolstered by NSW Cup players Micheal Molo, Josh Coric and Jackson Shereb. Recruit Moses Mbye is a versatile option that can play off the bench, at hooker and in the backline. Another option at hooker is youngster Connor Muhleisen, who has trained with the NRL side over the summer and will feature in NSW Cup next season.

On paper, Anthony Griffin’s backline stocks look thin especially in the halves if Talatau Amone partners Ben Hunt and Mbye plays off the bench.

TOP 30 ROSTER

FORWARDS

Second row: Tariq Sims, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jaydn Su‘A, Jackson Ford, Billy Burns, Jack Gosiewski

Prop: George Burgess, Josh McGuire, Blake Lawrie, Josh Kerr, Poasa Faamausili, Aaron Woods, Daniel Alvaro, Francis Molo, Jaiyden Hunt

BACKS

Centre: Zac Lomax, Jack Bird (and lock), Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Moses Suli, Tautau Moga

Really outstanding depth. If there are lots of injuries across the competition, we are going to be really strong. Zac Lomax is really good at making space, getting on the outside of opposition and putting players around him away but not as good as many centres in busting tackles and going through the line himself. If one or the both the Feagai's can do that or if Suli does that but doesn't suck in other areas of the game and Sloan works out at fullback, I think we are going to be really hard to beat.

Cautiously optimistic!

Heard he (O'Ofou) is good but Griffin has him below a 95kg, 27 year-old journeyman so.....

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

TOP 30 ROSTER

FORWARDS

BACKS

Cautiously optimistic!

Big, hard running, good leg speed, skillful, good defender though not sure how much he goes looking for work. He is also 23 next year. I keep hearing about him but if he is half as good as people say, why hasn't he made the NRL squad yet? Lots of forwards dominate in juniors but aren't big/fast/strong enough to play in the NRL.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Big, hard running, good leg speed, skillful, good defender though not sure how much he goes looking for work. He is also 23 next year. I keep hearing about him but if he is half as good as people say, why hasn't he made the NRL squad yet? Lots of forwards dominate in juniors but aren't big/fast/strong enough to play in the NRL.
He was injured all of last year as far as I know. But if he's so good, not sure why he didn't debut when he was 19, 20 or 21.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
maybe because the coach was one Paul McGregor?

Eric

Staff

Ten players set for a breakout year in 2022​

Which ten players will see their stock rise more than the rest in 2022?​

#8 Jayden Sullivan
St George Illawarra Dragons fans were able to breathe a sigh of relief as their future long-term number six signed a long contract extension to stay in the Red V.
With Corey Norman no longer blocking his passageway to first grade, I expect the 20-year-old to feature from Round 1. He has five NRL games to his name but the season was well gone by the time he made his debut. The minutes would be good but the situation was dire. Sullivan has all the skills to ensure the Dragons can be excited about their halves pairing for the first time in a few seasons now.

I know this is nonsense. Amone will start at 5/8. Sullivan will make a great halfback in 2023 if Redcliff take Hunt for 2023 or Hunt moves to hooker for his last year.