St George Illawarra in 2023

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Ten players set for a breakout year in 2022​

Which ten players will see their stock rise more than the rest in 2022?​

#8 Jayden Sullivan
St George Illawarra Dragons fans were able to breathe a sigh of relief as their future long-term number six signed a long contract extension to stay in the Red V.
With Corey Norman no longer blocking his passageway to first grade, I expect the 20-year-old to feature from Round 1. He has five NRL games to his name but the season was well gone by the time he made his debut. The minutes would be good but the situation was dire. Sullivan has all the skills to ensure the Dragons can be excited about their halves pairing for the first time in a few seasons now.

I know this is nonsense. Amone will start at 5/8. Sullivan will make a great halfback in 2023 if Redcliff take Hunt for 2023 or Hunt moves to hooker for his last year.
Thanks for the work you have done.

I'm a realist. I very much doubt a wooden spoor is possible but I also doubt we are heading to the finals or are likely to challenge for the premiership.

Eric

Staff

I'm a realist. I very much doubt a wooden spoor is possible but I also doubt we are heading to the finals or are likely to challenge for the premiership.
It's true that in the past I've been overly optimistic. If our young guys (Amone, Sullivan, Sloan, Feagai's) are half as good as most of us think, St George Illawarra Dragons are in for a huge season, IMO. I know it's a big "if" but only time will tell.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

STFU with that BS. We are specials for the premiership.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

NRL 2022: St George Illawarra Dragons season preview, roster analysis, predicted finish​

St George Illawarra Dragons have overhauled their squad after another fadeout last season, but will it be enough for them to push for a finals berth in 2022?

St George Illawarra will enter 2022 with a new-look squad after fading to finish outside the top 8 for the third straight year in 2021. Nick Campton takes a deep dive into how St George Illawarra are shaping up for 2022.

2022 SQUAD

Daniel Alvaro, Junior Amone, Jack Bird, George Burgess, Billy Burns, Jack de Belin, Poasa Faamausili, Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Jackson Ford, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jack Gosiewski, Ben Hunt, Josh Kerr, Blake Lawrie, Zac Lomax, Moses Mbye, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Tautau Moga, Francis Molo, Cody Ramsey, Mikaele Ravalawa, Tariq Sims, Tyrell Sloan, Jaydn Su’A, Moses Suli, Jayden Sullivan, Aaron Woods.

INS: Francis Molo (Cowboys), Aaron Woods (Sharks), Moses Mbye (Tigers), Jaydn Su’A (Rabbitohs), Tautau Moga (Rabbitohs), Moses Suli (Sea Eagles), Jack Gosiewski (Sea Eagles).

OUTS: Tyran Wishart (Storm), Cameron McInnes (Sharks) Matt Dufty (Bulldogs), Paul Vaughan (Bulldogs), Adam Clune (Knights), Jordan Pereira (Broncos), Kaide Ellis (Wigan)

Brayden Wiliame (USA Perpignan), Gerard Beale (released), Billy Brittain (released), Hayden Lomax (released), Corey Norman (released), Trent Merrin (retired).

Judging by ins and outs, we will be far stronger next year. McInnes is the only NRL regular and IMO he was always overrated.

1. Tyrell Sloan
2. Mikaele Ravalawa
3. Zac Lomax
4. Moses Suli
5. Mathew Feagai
6. Talatau Amone
7. Ben Hunt
8. Blake Lawrie
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Jack de Belin
11. Tariq Sims
12. Jaydn Su’A
13. Jack Bird
14. Moses Mbye
15. Josh McGuire
16. Francis Molo
17. Tyrell Fuimaono

SQUAD STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS
: There’s plenty of depth in the forwards. Aaron Woods is still a very capable NRL prop but there might not be room for him in the club’s best 17, George Burgess faces a similarly uphill battle to play NRL week in, week out and Josh Kerr also might struggle to crack the side. After their lack of depth was exposed last season, the Dragons should not face such dramas again.

WEAKNESSES: Andrew McCullough is still a tough, honest player, but can he provide the creativity out of hooker the St George Illawarra need? The former Bronco is a rugged defender but his attacking spark has somewhat deserted him in recent years. With Moses Mbye the only other player in the squad who can line up at No.9 it’s a concern.

Unless the team is really killing it with Hunt at halfback, I reckon in the event of injury to McCullough, Hunt will go to hooker and Sullivan to halfback.

COACH STATUS AND SAFETY RATING

With just one season at the Dragons under his belt and in the midst of a clean-out, Anthony Griffin should be safe for at least one more season. Before the infamous barbecue tore the heart out of St George Illawarra’s season they were on track to defy the odds and make the finals, and even in the aftermath Griffin managed to blood plenty of youngsters who will form part of the club’s next generation of stars. There are plenty of new faces and moving parts for the Red V in 2022 and it might take some time for all the pieces to fit — but if the wooden spoon favourites match the bookie’s expectations for them early on, the drums will start beating for Griffin.

GAME PLAN/WHAT THEY NEED TO TWEAK

COACH STATUS AND SAFETY RATING

With just one season at the Dragons under his belt and in the midst of a clean-out, Anthony Griffin should be safe for at least one more season. Before the infamous barbecue tore the heart out of St George Illawarra’s season they were on track to defy the odds and make the finals, and even in the aftermath Griffin managed to blood plenty of youngsters who will form part of the club’s next generation of stars. There are plenty of new faces and moving parts for the Red V in 2022 and it might take some time for all the pieces to fit — but if the wooden spoon favourites match the bookie’s expectations for them early on, the drums will start beating for Griffin.

GAME PLAN/WHAT THEY NEED TO TWEAK

St George Illawarra must improve their defence before they do anything else. Their strong start to the year was built on keeping their line intact but things degenerated as the year went on in — 13 of their last 14 games for 2021 they conceded more than 20 points. Defensive resolve comes from combinations and attitude, two qualities that were sorely lacking down the stretch, but the good news for Griffin is if he can find his best 17 and stick with it, there should be a natural improvement for the Dragons on the defensive side of the ball.

FREE AGENCY WRAP AND RATING

In landing two Origin forwards (Francis Molo and Jaydn Su’A), St George Illawarra Dragons should have a little more muscle up-front with Su’A in particular producing his best season in first grade last year. Woods provides a strong veteran presence and will be good for culture, as will Mbye, although exactly what role the former Tigers skipper plays for his new club remains to be seen.

WHICH PLAYER CAN THEY REINVENT? MOSES SULI

It can be easy to forget Suli is still just 23. The former Tiger and Sea Eagle has been through plenty in his short NRL career but is still yet to realize the prodigious talent that earned him a deal worth $1.3 million before he’d played first grade. There were glimpses of Suli’s attacking talent in his four years at Manly that were undercut by defensive issues but there is undoubtedly plenty of good football in him somewhere. If Griffin can get the best out of him, Suli could end the year as one of the most damaging centres in the NRL.

I've been pretty consistent in wondering what this guy is going to be doing? I'd have both Feagai's ahead of him.

WILL DEVELOPMENT CONTRACT UPGRADED KIDS MAKE AN IMPACT? TYRELL SLOAN

Sloan was the diamond St George Illawarra discovered in the rough patch after their season fell apart. Despite beginning the season in SG Ball, Sloan looked right at home in the top grade and crossed for six tries in five games while justifying the club’s decision to move on from Matt Dufty. A languid athlete who always seems to have time, with another pre-season Sloan will take a huge step forward in 2022.

WHO TAKES THE NEXT STEP? JACK BIRD

After years plagued by injury, Bird managed to play 22 of 24 games last season and was quietly one of the club’s best players after the competition relocated to Queensland. After years of migrating through the line-up, Bird will spend 2022 as a ball-playing middle forward and perhaps that’s where he was supposed to be all along. With his skill, footwork and ability to beat defenders, Bird will add a new dimension to the Dragons forward play and could well hit career-best form should his body hold up.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR ... JACK DE BELIN

De Belin was solid on return for the Dragons last year but the club will have high expectations for 2022 given his salary upgrade during his 2½ years on the sidelines as he faced sexual assault chargers that were ultimately dropped. With plenty of competition for spots and the Dragons needing results from the jump, de Belin will have to prove he’s still got what it takes to be a top-class NRL middle.

CAPTAINCY CONTENDERS — BEN HUNT

Given the pressure and scrutiny Hunt attracts due to his monster contract it was a little surprising for Griffin to hand him the captaincy but Hunt thrived with the responsibility, producing his best year as a Dragon even as things fell apart around him. The Queenslander leads with his words and by example, and was at the heart of everything good about the club in 2021. He’ll be the big man on campus for as long as he wants.

WHERE THEY FINISH IN 2022 — 10TH

Wooden spoon talk is a little wide of the mark for the Dragons — there is too much raw talent here for them to bottom out completely, and Griffin has won at least 10 matches in every season he’s coached in the NRL. The finals may a bit beyond them, but they will be in the mix until the final few weeks of the regular season.

FOX SPORTS LAB’S AARON WALLACE SAYS ...

2021 was the third straight season missing the finals for St George Illawarra. Since Wayne Bennett left at the end of the 2011 season they have made the finals just twice in 10 years.

Their 2021 season was ultimately derailed due to the notorious barbecue scandal which saw the club finish the season with eight straight losses, their most in club history. Three of their four first choice spine from the start of the season will not be at the club in 2022 but will be buoyed by end of season form of season debutant Tyrell Sloan, who became the first St George Illawarra player to score in his first five games (six tries).

This is more optimistic than many of the predictions but I still they are underestimating us.
According to Reddit, we only have 7 players in the top 100 highest paid and 3 of them are on contracts subsidised by other clubs.

Most clubs have more and none of them subsidised.

Eric

Staff
According to Reddit, we only have 7 players in the top 100 highest paid and 3 of them are on contracts subsidised by other clubs.

Most clubs have more and none of them subsidised.
yeah, I can't but see a way we aren't under the salary cap. McInnes and Norman were two of out most highly paid and several other journeymen left. We got a few journeymen and a few juniors to replace them.

Eric

Staff

Jayden Sullivan drives culture shift at St George Illawarra Dragons, Rookies locked in on long-term deals​

Only a handful of NRL players aged 21 and under are locked on long-term deals, but St George Illawarra Dragons have one of the most promising rookies — and he’s determined to make a difference in 2022.

At just 20 Jayden Sullivan already has a sense of responsibility. The boom St George Illawarra youngster shunned offers to commit to a long-term deal at St George Illawarra Dragons last month. His new contract means he will be at the club until at least 2025 – the youngest player in the NRL contracted until then.

Despite interest from elsewhere, Sullivan always wanted to remain at St George Illawarra. He wants to lead a culture shift which he has already spoken about with fellow young guns Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan.

“It was pretty stressful for a bit but I’m glad I got it all done,” Sullivan said. “I feel like we’ve got something special here. You can just feel the vibe. It’s a lot different to what it was last year and the year before. “We can bring a different culture to what we have here. We’ve been working on that in the pre-season — starting a winning culture. That’s what we owe the club. “I feel a bit more respected because I’ve played first grade now and played out of position. I feel comfortable enough to step out of my comfort zone and dare to be great. With the younger boys it was hard and daunting.”

Spending a large chunk of the season in the bubble too helped sway Sullivan’s mind. That was two-fold – he said he grew a greater connection with his teammates but knew how much he would miss home if he left Wollongong.

“It would’ve been hard to leave the family,” Sullivan said. “I’m a family-oriented person. Being away for three months was hard enough. I don’t know how to live outside of Wollongong. The club gave me the opportunity and I owe it to them.” Sullivan will compete alongside good friend Amone to partner Ben Hunt in the halves. After bouncing around positions last year, he has spent the first few weeks of pre-season training only at five-eighth. “I guess we are competing,” Sullivan said. “I know we shouldn’t say this but it’s a friendly competition. We both want what’s best for the team. We will still be in the 17. I feel like we can bounce off each other and complement each other on the field.

“If I’m playing good footy there is no one to hold me back. If I have to be patient, I’m happy to be patient. If I’m playing my best footy I’m sure I’ll be in the 17. “Playing first grade week in, week out is a big shock to the system. I’ve only played seven games and they were the seven hardest games I’ve played in my life. “I appreciate being in the middle because it’s such a hard task and to play nine and to see how physical it is in the middle.”

Learning to deal with the rigours of first grade was not the only learning curve for Sullivan. He will now listen to his body after a string of hamstring injuries sidelined him for a large chunk of the opening months of the season.

“With (Corey) Norman suspended for round one, I was in a battle with Adam Clune,” Sullivan said. “I was pushing myself too much and over-thinking it because I wanted to be in the 17 for the opening round. It was getting into my sleeping pattern. “The coach asked if I was OK and the next session I tore my hamstring. “After six weeks I came back and in the captain’s run before playing Parramatta in reserve grade, I tore my hamstring. I didn’t tell anyone and I ended up playing 64 minutes with a torn hamstring. I’ve learnt not to be so hard on myself, injuries are part of the game.”

NRL YOUNG GUNS ON LONG-TERM DEALS

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Jayden Sullivan (halfback). Will eventually replace Ben Hunt in the No.7 jersey but, in the short-term, wants to find his feet in the top grade. Sullivan, 20, was in demand but opted to recommit to the Dragons on a long-term deal. Contracted until 2025.

Others: Mat Feagai (20), Max Feagai (20), Cody Ramsey (21) until 2024.

Interesting Sullivan seems to be getting the bulk of the publicity. From what I've seen, he has a huge future but for this year, I think Amone is going to be the one to make the biggest waves. I hope I'm right in thinking the two of them will compliment each other. Sullivan the playmaker and Amone with the running game. Could be like our version of Thurston and Morgan.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Jayden Sullivan drives culture shift at St George Illawarra Dragons, Rookies locked in on long-term deals​

Only a handful of NRL players aged 21 and under are locked on long-term deals, but St George Illawarra Dragons have one of the most promising rookies — and he’s determined to make a difference in 2022.

At just 20 Jayden Sullivan already has a sense of responsibility. The boom St George Illawarra youngster shunned offers to commit to a long-term deal at St George Illawarra Dragons last month. His new contract means he will be at the club until at least 2025 – the youngest player in the NRL contracted until then.

Despite interest from elsewhere, Sullivan always wanted to remain at St George Illawarra. He wants to lead a culture shift which he has already spoken about with fellow young guns Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan.

“It was pretty stressful for a bit but I’m glad I got it all done,” Sullivan said. “I feel like we’ve got something special here. You can just feel the vibe. It’s a lot different to what it was last year and the year before. “We can bring a different culture to what we have here. We’ve been working on that in the pre-season — starting a winning culture. That’s what we owe the club. “I feel a bit more respected because I’ve played first grade now and played out of position. I feel comfortable enough to step out of my comfort zone and dare to be great. With the younger boys it was hard and daunting.”

Spending a large chunk of the season in the bubble too helped sway Sullivan’s mind. That was two-fold – he said he grew a greater connection with his teammates but knew how much he would miss home if he left Wollongong.

“It would’ve been hard to leave the family,” Sullivan said. “I’m a family-oriented person. Being away for three months was hard enough. I don’t know how to live outside of Wollongong. The club gave me the opportunity and I owe it to them.” Sullivan will compete alongside good friend Amone to partner Ben Hunt in the halves. After bouncing around positions last year, he has spent the first few weeks of pre-season training only at five-eighth. “I guess we are competing,” Sullivan said. “I know we shouldn’t say this but it’s a friendly competition. We both want what’s best for the team. We will still be in the 17. I feel like we can bounce off each other and complement each other on the field.

“If I’m playing good footy there is no one to hold me back. If I have to be patient, I’m happy to be patient. If I’m playing my best footy I’m sure I’ll be in the 17. “Playing first grade week in, week out is a big shock to the system. I’ve only played seven games and they were the seven hardest games I’ve played in my life. “I appreciate being in the middle because it’s such a hard task and to play nine and to see how physical it is in the middle.”

Learning to deal with the rigours of first grade was not the only learning curve for Sullivan. He will now listen to his body after a string of hamstring injuries sidelined him for a large chunk of the opening months of the season.

“With (Corey) Norman suspended for round one, I was in a battle with Adam Clune,” Sullivan said. “I was pushing myself too much and over-thinking it because I wanted to be in the 17 for the opening round. It was getting into my sleeping pattern. “The coach asked if I was OK and the next session I tore my hamstring. “After six weeks I came back and in the captain’s run before playing Parramatta in reserve grade, I tore my hamstring. I didn’t tell anyone and I ended up playing 64 minutes with a torn hamstring. I’ve learnt not to be so hard on myself, injuries are part of the game.”

Jayden Sullivan (halfback). Will eventually replace Ben Hunt in the No.7 jersey but, in the short-term, wants to find his feet in the top grade. Sullivan, 20, was in demand but opted to recommit to the Dragons on a long-term deal. Contracted until 2025.

Interesting Sullivan seems to be getting the bulk of the publicity. From what I've seen, he has a huge future but for this year, I think Amone is going to be the one to make the biggest waves. I hope I'm right in thinking the two of them will compliment each other. Sullivan the playmaker and Amone with the running game. Could be like our version of Thurston and Morgan.
I think we are looking good for the future. I agree with you about Sullivan and Amone complimenting each other. I was just wondering, does Paul McGregor deserve any credit for these young players. And until when is Amone signed? Curious he isn't in the list above. Doesn't Hook have a lot of faith in him?

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I was just wondering, does Paul McGregor deserve any credit for these young players.
No! How many years (of hell) did have to bring young players into the system? If they didn't exist in our junior system, he should have recruited them. Instead he paid overs for mediocre imports.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

It is curious Sullivan is getting so much more publicity than Amone and Sloan who unlike Sullivan, are likely to start the year in the NRL.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Ever considered the possibility Hook is thinking Sullivan's ball-playing will suit Hunt's running game? Amone to play fullback if Sloan isn't cutting it.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Ever considered the possibility Hook is thinking Sullivan's ball-playing will suit Hunt's running game? Amone to play fullback if Sloan isn't cutting it.
Actually, I hadn't. But now I have, it's a really good suggestion! Maybe the team would be better off starting Sullivan at 5/8 and Amone on the bench. Because Amone should be able to play almost any backline position but Sullivan only in the halves.

Something to think about for the trails.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Actually, I hadn't. But now I have, it's a really good suggestion! Maybe the team would be better off starting Sullivan at 5/8 and Amone on the bench. Because Amone should be able to play almost any backline position but Sullivan only in the halves.

Something to think about for the trails.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Eric

Staff

The top 30 roster boasts ample depth in the forwards with guys like Daniel Alvaro, Billy Burns and Aaron Woods. It’s further bolstered by NSW Cup players Micheal Molo, Josh Coric and Jackson Shereb. Recruit Moses Mbye is a versatile option that can play off the bench, at hooker and in the backline. Another option at hooker is youngster Connor Muhleisen, who has trained with the NRL side over the summer and will feature in NSW Cup next season. On paper, Anthony Griffin’s backline stocks look thin especially in the halves if Talatau Amone partners Ben Hunt and Mbye plays off the bench.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS TOP 30 ROSTER

FORWARDS

Second row: Tariq Sims, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jaydn Su‘A, Jackson Ford, Billy Burns, Jack Gosiewski

Prop: George Burgess, Josh McGuire, Blake Lawrie, Josh Kerr, Poasa Faamausili, Aaron Woods, Daniel Alvaro, Francis Molo, Jaiyden Hunt

Hooker: Andrew McCullough

Lock: Jack de Belin (and prop)

BACKS

Fullback: Moses Mbye

Wing: Mikaele Ravalawa, Cody Ramsey (and fullback)

Centre: Zac Lomax, Jack Bird (and lock), Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Moses Suli, Tautau Moga

Five-eighth: Talatau Amone, Jayden Sullivan

Halfback: Ben Hunt

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS: Tyrell Sloan (fullback), Shalom O‘Ofou (second row)

FEEDER CLUB: St George Illawarra Dragons

Nice to see another hooker coming through. Hopefully allow us to ship Hunt off to Redcliff for next season and bring Sullivan into play halfback.

To that end, I absolutely disagree with the comment about our halves stocks. Hunt, Amone, Sullivan and Mybe and Bird in a pinch. IMO Lomax would be a capable 5/8 allowing both Feagai's, Suli and Ramsey in the backline.

Second row is very strong. IMO Tariq Sims, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jaydn Su‘A, Jackson Ford, Billy Burns are all capable NRL backrowers and Jack Gosiewski isn't "bad". There is also Jack Bird.

George Burgess, Josh McGuire, Blake Lawrie, Aaron Woods, Francis Molo are capable front rowers. Josh Kerr and Poasa Faamausili need to pull up their socks. I can't remember the game but early last season I remember a missed tackle by Faamausili which led to a try. Didn't even 'lead to' a try, more directly invited it. The opposition player just ran straight passed him and fell over the line. It was such a pathetic attempt, I was surprised Hook didn't drag him straight off the field.

Can't see Daniel Alvaro getting a start in the NRL. Heard a little about Jaiyden Hunt. Heard good things but can't judge it myself.

In the backs I don't think Moga will see any NRL unless there's an injury crisis. I think Bird and Mbye will be in the centres before Moga.

I remember reading previously about Ramsey eating and going to the gym a lot so he can run harder and make more metres. I think that is a pretty accurate description.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

The top 30 roster boasts ample depth in the forwards with guys like Daniel Alvaro, Billy Burns and Aaron Woods. It’s further bolstered by NSW Cup players Micheal Molo, Josh Coric and Jackson Shereb. Recruit Moses Mbye is a versatile option that can play off the bench, at hooker and in the backline. Another option at hooker is youngster Connor Muhleisen, who has trained with the NRL side over the summer and will feature in NSW Cup next season. On paper, Anthony Griffin’s backline stocks look thin especially in the halves if Talatau Amone partners Ben Hunt and Mbye plays off the bench.

FORWARDS

Second row: Tariq Sims, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jaydn Su‘A, Jackson Ford, Billy Burns, Jack Gosiewski

Prop: George Burgess, Josh McGuire, Blake Lawrie, Josh Kerr, Poasa Faamausili, Aaron Woods, Daniel Alvaro, Francis Molo, Jaiyden Hunt

BACKS

Centre: Zac Lomax, Jack Bird (and lock), Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Moses Suli, Tautau Moga

Nice to see another hooker coming through. Hopefully allow us to ship Hunt off to Redcliff for next season and bring Sullivan into play halfback.

To that end, I absolutely disagree with the comment about our halves stocks. Hunt, Amone, Sullivan and Mybe and Bird in a pinch. IMO Lomax would be a capable 5/8 allowing both Feagai's, Suli and Ramsey in the backline.

Second row is very strong. IMO Tariq Sims, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jaydn Su‘A, Jackson Ford, Billy Burns are all capable NRL backrowers and Jack Gosiewski isn't "bad". There is also Jack Bird.

George Burgess, Josh McGuire, Blake Lawrie, Aaron Woods, Francis Molo are capable front rowers. Josh Kerr and Poasa Faamausili need to pull up their socks. I can't remember the game but early last season I remember a missed tackle by Faamausili which led to a try. Didn't even 'lead to' a try, more directly invited it. The opposition player just ran straight passed him and fell over the line. It was such a pathetic attempt, I was surprised Hook didn't drag him straight off the field.

Can't see Daniel Alvaro getting a start in the NRL. Heard a little about Jaiyden Hunt. Heard good things but can't judge it myself.

In the backs I don't think Moga will see any NRL unless there's an injury crisis. I think Bird and Mbye will be in the centres before Moga.

I remember reading previously about Ramsey eating and going to the gym a lot so he can run harder and make more metres. I think that is a pretty accurate description.
So 29 spots filled and 2 development players.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

The top 30 roster boasts lots of depth in the forwards with guys like Daniel Alvaro, Billy Burns and Aaron Woods. It’s further bolstered by NSW Cup players Micheal Molo, Josh Coric and Jackson Shereb. Recruit Moses Mbye is a versatile option that can play off the bench, at hooker and in the backline. Another option at hooker is youngster Connor Muhleisen, who has trained with the NRL side over the summer and will feature in NSW Cup next season. On paper, Anthony Griffin’s backline stocks look thin especially in the halves if Talatau Amone partners Ben Hunt and Mbye plays off the bench.

FORWARDS

BACKS

Centre: Zac Lomax, Jack Bird (and lock and second row), Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Moses Suli, Tautau Moga

Not bad. The biggest weakness I see, or the main thing that would prevent us from being among the best teams is an outside back who regularly breaks the line. Like Trbojevic, Mitchell, Tedesco, Manu. I just realized Melbourne has a 5/8 who breaks the line and Papenhuyzen is good running through gaps. Olam runs hard.

We have Lomax, excellent at putting away the winger. Ravalawa runs hard. We need Sloan and Amone to step up!

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

The Dragons top 30 roster boasts ample depth in the forwards with guys like Daniel Alvaro, Billy Burns and Aaron Woods. It’s further bolstered by NSW Cup players Micheal Molo, Josh Coric and Jackson Shereb. Recruit Moses Mbye is a versatile option that can play off the bench, at hooker and in the backline. Another option at hooker is youngster Connor Muhleisen, who has trained with the NRL side over the summer and will feature in NSW Cup next season. On paper, Anthony Griffin’s backline stocks look thin especially in the halves if Talatau Amone partners Ben Hunt and Mbye plays off the bench.

FORWARDS

BACKS

Would also be nice to have a tackle busting backrower.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Would also be nice to have a tackle busting backrower.
It's too bad for Tyson Frizzel. During his prime with good coaching, training and game plans, he would have been an even more potent weapon on the edges. Now he is passed his best. We let him go at just the right time. One of out few recruitment and retention success stories since........... since Nathan Brown! I know Bennett but he merely got the best out of players already on the books with only a few imports.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
It's too bad for Tyson Frizzel. During his prime with good coaching, training and game plans, he would have been an even more potent weapon on the edges. Now he is passed his best. We let him go at just the right time. One of out few recruitment and retention success stories since........... since Nathan Brown! I know Bennett but he merely got the best out of players already on the books with only a few imports.
Excuse me? Weyman, Boyd, Scott, Costigan. Eventually he even got Gaz back. I think Saffy was also signed under Bennett. And the hooker as well..... can't remember his name.

That's half the team!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

The top 30 roster boasts tremendous depth in the forwards with guys like Daniel Alvaro, Billy Burns and Aaron Woods. It’s further bolstered by NSW Cup players Micheal Molo, Josh Coric and Jackson Shereb. Recruit Moses Mbye is a versatile option that can play off the bench, at hooker and in the backline. Another option at hooker is youngster Connor Muhleisen, who has trained with the NRL side over the summer and will feature in NSW Cup next season. On paper, Anthony Griffin’s backline stocks look to lack depth especially in the halves if Talatau Amone partners Ben Hunt and Mbye plays off the bench.

FORWARDS

BACKS

Not a bad roster. Bird and Mbye both good utility players. Especially the latter isn't so good in any specific position. Having both signed seems wasteful.