The end of another dissapointing year

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I have given up on trying to find the reasons behind some of his recent decisions. I'm no guru top shelf coach but what I do know is what to do if things just aren't working. It costs you nothing to be honest it cost you nothing to say I was wrong and it costs you nothing to say sorry. I know that there were restrictions in regards to salary cap issues but let's be brutally honest here who would want to leave any club currently above us to join us knowing any move would mean not playing semi finals football in the next few years.
Only someone getting paid much more to come than to stay where he is.

Eric

Staff
I've been on the end of bakings but in both my work life and sporting life I have never been let go. The basic fundamentals of any good coach is being a good communicator and listener. You don't lash out at those people assisting you and lay the blame on them unless you have clearly articulated to them that what they are doing as individuals is not mirroring your own goals or the clubs and warning them that they have to change or go.
I'm interested in what can be salvaged for this year. The way I see it:
  • JDB is reaching the end of his career.
  • Ditto for Ben Hunt.
  • Sloan, Amone, Sullivan haven't kicked on.
  • Connor Muhleisen can't get a look in, in the NRL.
  • Su'A and Suli have been good but hardly setting the world on fire.
  • Lomax has regressed even though I thought he was pretty good yesterday.
  • Lawrie has been better recently but you wouldn't say he's had a really good year.
Going forward, is there anything that can be salvaged from this year????

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
  • Ditto for Ben Hunt.
  • Lawrie has been better recently but you wouldn't say he's had a really good year.
Maybe to knowing to cut our losses early so 2 wasted doesn't become 5 or 10 wasted year could be considered something salvaged.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
  • Ditto for Ben Hunt.
JDB is a definite keeper at least until his contract runs out in 2024 and as our lock. He has a beautiful tackling technique that others could learn from.

Hunt, well it appears that the Dragons management want to build the team around him. He is off contract at end of 2023. I'm not so sure that by the time we become competitive he will still be here.

Connor Muhleisen is only 21 he will in my opinion play hooker for 1sts in the next year or so.

I disagree with your assessment of both Sua and Suli and next year both will be better. Both keepers.

Lomax is a wonderful talent and it is my view if he were to go elsewhere he would be donning the sky blue jersey for NSW. He needs a new coach, under a new coach he would excel.

Lawrie he is a keeper still learning his trade and wears his heart on his sleeve. In my view he would excel if we could manage to sign a decent big bopper. He has 1 year to go. If he can't show natural improvement then shouldn't be re signed.

The good thing is I believe we lose some deadwood in Mcguire, Woods going. Wholesale changes made for next week who are fit and available if I was coach would look like this:
Sloan
Feigai
Feigai
Lomax
Moga (he is playing for contract)
Cryer
Hunt
JDB
Sua
Sims
Molo
McCullough (50-60 min)
Lawrie
Bench:
Muhleisen
Mbye
Burns ( playing for contract)
Bird

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
JDB is a definite keeper at least until his contract runs out in 2024 and as our lock. He has a beautiful tackling technique that others could learn from.

Hunt, well it appears that the Dragons management want to build the team around him. He is off contract at end of 2023. I'm not so sure that by the time we become competitive he will still be here.

Connor Muhleisen is only 21 he will in my opinion play hooker for 1sts in the next year or so.

I disagree with your assessment of both Sua and Suli and next year both will be better. Both keepers.

Lomax is a wonderful talent and it is my view if he were to go elsewhere he would be donning the sky blue jersey for NSW. He needs a new coach, under a new coach he would excel.

Lawrie he is a keeper still learning his trade and wears his heart on his sleeve. In my view he would excel if we could manage to sign a decent big bopper. He has 1 year to go. If he can't show natural improvement then shouldn't be re signed.

The good thing is I believe we lose some deadwood in Mcguire, Woods going. Wholesale changes made for next week who are fit and available if I was coach would look like this:
Sloan
Feigai
Feigai
Lomax
Cryer
Hunt
JDB
Sua
Sims
Molo
McCullough (50-60 min)
Lawrie
Bench:
Muhleisen
Mbye
Bird
In general I like your team but Muhleisen, Bird and Mbye all on the bench? I can't agree with that. I'd have both Molo's in the 17.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Sloan
Feigai
Feigai
Lomax
Cryer
Hunt
JDB
Sua
Sims
Molo
McCullough (50-60 min)
Lawrie
Bench:
Muhleisen
Mbye
Bird
Reuben on the wing instead of Moga unless Ramsey is back. Moga is just too slow to play on the wing.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Reuben on the wing instead of Moga unless Ramsey is back. Moga is just too slow to play on the wing.
I did say fit and available Ramsay would be a starter . I can live with Reuben instead of Moga

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Burns for Molo I can live with that
Burns is an 80min player. But you can't have 2 small players (Muhleisen and Mbye) and one player whose best position in my view is an interchange utility (Bird) on the bench. No way! That would be incomprehensible even for Hook.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Burns is an 80min player. But you can't have 2 small players (Muhleisen and Mbye) and one player whose best position in my view is an interchange utility (Bird) on the bench. No way! That would be incomprehensible even for Hook.
He is but is not contracted next season along with Moga hence both will probably be selected until the end of the season. Moga actually ran for the most metres against the Cowboys Burns dissappointed me in defence missing 5 of the 21 he made.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
He is but is not contracted next season along with Moga hence both will probably be selected until the end of the season. Moga actually ran for the most metres against the Cowboys Burns dissappointed me in defence missing 5 of the 21 he made.
He does ok when hitting it up like a prop. But he's a winger. Moga is dead wood. Won't be re-signed.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Sloan
Feigai
Feigai
Lomax
Cryer
Hunt
JDB
Sua
Sims
Molo
McCullough (50-60 min)
Lawrie
Bench:
Muhleisen
Mbye
Bird
I thought Cryer had just been promoted from Flegg. A little too early to throw him in first grade, isn't it?

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
  • Ditto for Ben Hunt.
The form of the guys who will be in first grade from next year, providing this coach doesn't again scour the competition for veterans no other club wants, is the main positive from this year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I thought Cryer had just been promoted from Flegg. A little too early to throw him in first grade, isn't it?
I've been following him this season. In regards to your belief your wrong in regards to Jersey Flegg. He has been running around for quite sometime he's 25 now a very good goal kicker was with the Sea Eagles feeder club before joining us from Parramatta feeder club has been playing NSW Cup since 2019 so he is ready whether he's good enough well who knows but hes had 8 try assists this season. I'm so bitterly disappointed with Amone I'd give anyone a run at 5/8.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The form of the guys who will be in first grade from next year, providing this coach doesn't again scour the competition for veterans no other club wants, is the main positive from this year.
In my view there is no positive for our once proud club . Supporters are not fools especially Dragons supporters our tradition is that we at the very least have a competitive team. Hence Dragons at home on holy ground at Kogarah against a team running 2nd can only draw 9,000 people disgraceful in my view.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I've been following him this season. In regards to your belief your wrong in regards to Jersey Flegg. He has been running around for quite sometime he's 25 now a very good goal kicker was with the Sea Eagles feeder club before joining us from Parramatta feeder club has been playing NSW Cup since 2019 so he is ready whether he's good enough well who knows but hes had 8 try assists this season. I'm so bitterly disappointed with Amone I'd give anyone a run at 5/8.
Got it. Was it his halves partner recently promoted from Flegg?

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Amone hasn't reached the level we hoped for and expected but a little early to hook him for a 25 year-old lower grade journeyman. If anything, Hunt halfback and Sullivan 5/8.
In my view there is no positive for our once proud club . Supporters are not fools especially Dragons supporters our tradition is that we at the very least have a competitive team. Hence Dragons at home on holy ground at Kogarah against a team running 2nd can only draw 9,000 people disgraceful in my view.
Was disappointing but what do you expect from a coach who picks veteran, slow journeymen in front of exciting, fast, local juniors who have been going really well in the lower grades?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Amone hasn't reached the level we hoped for and expected but a little early to hook him for a 25 year-old lower grade journeyman. If anything, Hunt halfback and Sullivan 5/8.

Was disappointing but what do you expect from a coach who picks veteran, slow journeymen in front of exciting, fast, local juniors who have been going really well in the lower grades?
I know a few people in the time I have been on this forum are Amone fans. I'm just expressing what I have seen of him last year and this and his failure in my eyes wearing my old coaches hat in progressing his all round game and becoming a real 2nd playmaker on the opposite side of the ruck. Just my views.