Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I thought I'd get in early with this. Given the train-wreck that was my tipping last week.
Match
Winner
Why
1.Melbourne Storm v South Sydney RabbitohsStormGetting 2 of their big guns back and Souths were terrible in round 1.
2.St George Illawarra Dragons v Penrith PanthersDragonsLesson learned from last week. No taking the foof off the throttle. Kikau won't be able to run riot against our centres as he did against Manly.
3.Sydney Roosters v Manly Sea EaglesManlyThey weren't "bad" against Penrith. Just Penrith were really good while Roosters were terrible in round 1.
4.Gold Coast Titans v New Zealand WarriorsGold CoastRobbed against Parra. Looking like they'll be hard to beat this year.
5.Cronulla Sharks v Parramatta EelsParraWhen it's hard to call, always smart to tip against the Shonkies.
6.North Queensland Cowboys v Canberra RaidersCanberraWere pretty good against the Shonkies though dry weather will suit NQ. Tough call.
7.Newcastle Knights v Wests TigersNewcastleWere good against Rorters and Tigers are poor.
8.Canterbury Bulldogs v Brisbane BroncosBroncos2 poor winners from last round. I still they'll fight it out for the spoon but going with Brisbane. A little more strike power in the backs.

Eric

Staff

Round Two Tipping​

Match
Winner
Why

Melbourne Storm v South Sydney Rabbitohs

StormSouffs will be much better with Mitchell but not enough to win.

St George Illawarra Dragons v Penrith Panthers

PenrithI'm sorry. It hurts me to say but they were really good against Manly. Much better than we were against NZ.

Sydney Roosters v Manly Sea Eagles

ManlyThey weren't "bad" against Penrith. Just Penrith were really good while Roosters were terrible in round 1. (ditto)

Gold Coast Titans v New Zealand Warriors

Gold CoastWarriors without SJ is like Xmas without Santa clause. GC get their highly regarded 5/8 back.

Cronulla Sharks v Parramatta Eels

ParraWhen it's hard to call, always smart to tip against the Shonkies. (ditto)

North Queensland Cowboys v Canberra Raiders

NQCanberra are onto their 3rd choice halfback. Too difficult to overcome. NQ will improve dramatically.

Newcastle Knights v Wests Tigers

NewcastleWere good against Rorters and Tigers are poor. (ditto)

Canterbury Bulldogs v Brisbane Broncos

BroncosGrubs to "bring Brisbane down to their level" but Brisbane will get up in a tight game.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Match
Winner
Why

Melbourne Storm v South Sydney Rabbitohs​

StormMunster in for Melbourne is bigger than Mitchell in for Souths. Melbourne by 20.

St George Illawarra Dragons v Penrith Panthers​

St GeorgeI'm going for an upset. Ben Hunt and Amone are going to be much better. The interchange forwards to get a rocket this week. Working on ways to bring Sloan into the game more often which will trouble Penrith a lot.

Sydney Roosters v Manly Sea Eagles​

ManlyRoosters are going to be fired up after that pathetic effort last week but not enough to win.

Gold Coast Titans v New Zealand Warriors​

Gold CoastDon't see how Warriors are in with a chance without Johnson.

Cronulla Sharks v Parramatta Eels​

ParraI don't know if it's "hard to call". I think Eels do it easily.

North Queensland Cowboys v Canberra Raiders​

NQA 3rd choice halfback is a lot to overcome. North Queensland should be much better this year. Next year when the salary cap begins to bite, they might be in some trouble.

Newcastle Knights v Wests Tigers​

Canterbury Bulldogs v Brisbane Broncos​

BroncosHaas carries the Broncos forwards so they can hold their own against the Dogs but Broncos outside backs to run riot against poor opposition.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Match
Winner
Why

Melbourne Storm v South Sydney Rabbitohs​

StormMunster in for Melbourne is bigger than Mitchell in for Souths. Melbourne by 20.

St George Illawarra Dragons v Penrith Panthers​

St GeorgeI'm going for an upset. Ben Hunt and Amone are going to be much better. The interchange forwards to get a rocket this week. Working on ways to bring Sloan into the game more often which will trouble Penrith a lot.

Sydney Roosters v Manly Sea Eagles​

ManlyRoosters are going to be fired up after that pathetic effort last week but not enough to win.

Gold Coast Titans v New Zealand Warriors​

Gold CoastDon't see how Warriors are in with a chance without Johnson.

Cronulla Sharks v Parramatta Eels​

ParraI don't know if it's "hard to call". I think Eels do it easily.

North Queensland Cowboys v Canberra Raiders​

NQA 3rd choice halfback is a lot to overcome. North Queensland should be much better this year. Next year when the salary cap begins to bite, they might be in some trouble.

Newcastle Knights v Wests Tigers​

Canterbury Bulldogs v Brisbane Broncos​

BroncosHaas carries the Broncos forwards so they can hold their own against the Dogs but Broncos outside backs to run riot against poor opposition.
  • Melbourne
  • Penrith😒
  • Manly
  • Gold Coast
  • Paramatta
  • Canberra
  • Newcastle
  • Brisbane

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Match
Winner
Why
1.Melbourne Storm v South Sydney RabbitohsStormSpecials even though Souffs are probably going to fire up.
2.St George Illawarra Dragons v Penrith PanthersDragonsIn these circumstances, I can't pick against the Dragons but the bench forwards had better fire up when they come on.
3.Sydney Roosters v Manly Sea EaglesManlyToo good for the overrated Rorters
4.Gold Coast Titans v New Zealand WarriorsGold CoastLooking like a tough team to beat this year. SJ is NZ's best player and he is out.
5.Cronulla Sharks v Parramatta EelsParraParra because opposite to St George.
6.North Queensland Cowboys v Canberra RaidersCanberraNQ might surprise a few but I'm still picking Canberra.
7.Newcastle Knights v Wests TigersNewcastleBecause Tigers are piss poor.
8.Canterbury Bulldogs v Brisbane BroncosBroncosBoth won. Both were bad. Donkeys have more improvement in them than the Grubs.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Souffs are a two trick pony. Barge straight through the middle or pass out the back with the fullback making numbers.

First of those is easy to defend against. Second harder but with strong defence in the middle, allowing those outside to slide across easier, second can be stopped far more often than not.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
So far from what I've seen in both rounds is that St George, Melbourne and Penrith are the only consistently good teams. Penrith are consistently good, period while Melbourne and St George have a tendency to either take the foot off the accelerator or forget to turn on the ignition at the start of the game.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I read someone said Canberra would struggle with their third choice halfback. That has definately been the case thus far.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Wests Tigers vs Newcastle is a poor game. Newcastle missing their two best players but still winning easily.

Eric

Staff
I noticed in the Broncos - Dogs game, in the first half Dufty actually ran at defenders when presented with a straight line and seemed to be trying to break the tackle. As a result he was getting pushed back much less than he used to for us. He used to dive at the feet of defenders. Josh Kerr should take note.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Round three tips:​

Match
Winner
Why
1.St George Illawarra Dragons vs Cronulla SharksDragonsBetter team. Better halves and better outside backs. Forwards are pretty equal. If McCullough is out, they may have an edge in the forwars but not enough.
2.Wests Tigers vs New Zealand WarriorsWarriorsBecause Wests Tigers are a rabble. Warriors should have Sean Johnson back. Plenty of attacking firepower.
3.South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Sydney RoostersRabbitsHard one but I think Souths might fire up a little more.
4.Penrith Panthers vs Newcastle KnightsPanthersApparently Ponga will probably be out another week. Newcastle can get away with it against Wests Tigers but not against Penrith.
5.Melbourne Storm vs Parramatta EelsStormBecause Parra were obviously grossly overrated coming into the season. They are an average side.
6.Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast TitansTitansAnother tough one. Flipped a coin.
7.Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland CowboysCowboysA little soon to be excited over the Broncos. They narrowly beat an out of sorts Souths and a poor Dogs. Cowboys to bring them back down to earth.
8.Manly Ses Eagles vs Canterbury BulldogsSea EaglesI expect a much better display from Manly. Too good for the beleaguered Dogs.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Round three tips:​

Match
Winner
Why
1.St George Illawarra Dragons vs Cronulla SharksDragonsBetter team. Better halves and better outside backs. Forwards are pretty equal. If McCullough is out, they may have an edge in the forwars but not enough.
2.Wests Tigers vs New Zealand WarriorsWarriorsBecause Wests Tigers are a rabble. Warriors should have Sean Johnson back. Plenty of attacking firepower.
3.South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Sydney RoostersRabbitsHard one but I think Souths might fire up a little more.
4.Penrith Panthers vs Newcastle KnightsPanthersApparently Ponga will probably be out another week. Newcastle can get away with it against Wests Tigers but not against Penrith.
5.Melbourne Storm vs Parramatta EelsStormBecause Parra were obviously grossly overrated coming into the season. They are an average side.
6.Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast TitansTitansAnother tough one. Flipped a coin.
7.Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland CowboysCowboysA little soon to be excited over the Broncos. They narrowly beat an out of sorts Souths and a poor Dogs. Cowboys to bring them back down to earth.
8.Manly Ses Eagles vs Canterbury BulldogsSea EaglesI expect a much better display from Manly. Too good for the beleaguered Dogs.
  • Dragons
  • Warriors
  • Roosters
  • Panthers
  • Storm
  • Titans
  • Cowboys
  • Sea Eagles

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Match
Winner
Why
1.St George Illawarra Dragons vs Cronulla SharksDragonsMcCullough is a big loss. I think the coach has a plan with the smaller, more mobile pack.
2.Wests Tigers vs New Zealand WarriorsWarriorsSean Johnson is still out but Hastings was their only decent player last week so it was a tough one but going with NZ.
3.South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Sydney RoostersRortersSouffs are poor. The Melbourne v Souffs game was poor for 60min. Both teams. Melbourne were ripe to be picked off but no.
4.Penrith Panthers vs Newcastle KnightsPanthersNewcastle get Ponga back so it would have been close but Penrith get Cleary back.
5.Melbourne Storm vs Parramatta EelsParramatttaMelbourne on a third choice hooker and were quite poor last week. I expect Parramatta to win this but Melbourne will be had to beat for the remainder of the season.
6.Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast TitansTitansGold Coast are just a little better all over the park.
7.Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland CowboysCowboysThey were pretty good last week.
8.Manly Ses Eagles vs Canterbury BulldogsSea EaglesDogs and Broncos were as bad as each other last week. Manly to fire up and put a score on them.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Match
Winner
Why
1.St George Illawarra Dragons vs Cronulla SharksDragonsMcCullough is a big loss. I think the coach has a plan with the smaller, more mobile pack.
2.Wests Tigers vs New Zealand WarriorsWarriorsSean Johnson is still out but Hastings was their only decent player last week so it was a tough one but going with NZ.
3.South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Sydney RoostersRortersSouffs are poor. The Melbourne v Souffs game was poor for 60min. Both teams. Melbourne were ripe to be picked off but no.
4.Penrith Panthers vs Newcastle KnightsPanthersNewcastle get Ponga back so it would have been close but Penrith get Cleary back.
5.Melbourne Storm vs Parramatta EelsParramatttaMelbourne on a third choice hooker and were quite poor last week. I expect Parramatta to win this but Melbourne will be had to beat for the remainder of the season.
6.Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast TitansTitansGold Coast are just a little better all over the park.
7.Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland CowboysCowboysThey were pretty good last week.
8.Manly Ses Eagles vs Canterbury BulldogsSea EaglesDogs and Broncos were as bad as each other last week. Manly to fire up and put a score on them.
  1. St George
  2. New Zealand
  3. Roosters
  4. Penrith
  5. Melbourne
  6. Gold Coast
  7. Brisbane
  8. Manly

Eric

Staff
Match
Winner
Why

Match

Winner

Why

1.St George Illawarra Dragons vs Cronulla SharksDragonsObviously
2.Wests Tigers vs New Zealand WarriorsWarriorsCan't pick Tigers even though I expect them to be really fired up. Unless they actually want the coach gone ASAP.
3.South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Sydney RoostersSouffsI think some of their big outside backs might trample Keary and Walker.
4.Penrith Panthers vs Newcastle KnightsPanthersKnights have won 2 in a row but haven't been that good.
5.Melbourne Storm vs Parramatta EelsParramatttaAs above but it's wrong. They are on their 4th choice hooker and Parra aren't a basket case.
6.Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast TitansTitansTough one but Canberra missing some key players.
7.Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland CowboysCowboysCowboys are going to bring Broncos back down to earth with a thud. On paper, Cowboys are a better team.
8.Manly Ses Eagles vs Canterbury BulldogsSea EaglesManly because Grubs are rubbish. Again.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Match

Winner

Why

1.St George Illawarra Dragons vs Cronulla SharksDragonsObviously
2.Wests Tigers vs New Zealand WarriorsWarriorsCan't pick Tigers even though I expect them to be really fired up. Unless they actually want the coach gone ASAP.
3.South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Sydney RoostersSouffsI think some of their big outside backs might trample Keary and Walker.
4.Penrith Panthers vs Newcastle KnightsPanthersKnights have won 2 in a row but haven't been that good.
5.Melbourne Storm vs Parramatta EelsParramatttaAs above but it's wrong. They are on their 4th choice hooker and Parra aren't a basket case.
6.Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast TitansTitansTough one but Canberra missing some key players.
7.Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland CowboysCowboysCowboys are going to bring Broncos back down to earth with a thud. On paper, Cowboys are a better team.
8.Manly Ses Eagles vs Canterbury BulldogsSea EaglesManly because Grubs are rubbish. Again.
I might have gone with Parra if I knew Melbourne were on their 4th choice hooker but no, I simply don't rate Parra.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Tipping Round 4
Match
Winner
Why
1.Gold Coast vs Wests TigersGCBecause Wests Tigers are useless.
2.Cronulla vs NewscastleShonkiesBecause last week their forwards dominated ours and Newcastle have a few injured or suspended.
3.Penrith vs SouthsPenrithOf course. Early days but they are looking like specials to be there on GF day again.
4.New Zealand vs BrisbaneBrisbaneNZ were atrocious last week.
5.Manly vs CanberraCanberraMany were atrocious last week as well.
6.North Queensland v Canberra Sydney RoostersNQWere obviously very good last week.
7.Melbourne vs CanterburyMelbourneSome big guns returning and Dogs were terrible last week.
8.St George Illawarra vs ParramattaSt GeorgeBecause I'm going to hold my breathe until Parra let them win.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Tipping Round 4
Match
Winner
Why
1.Gold Coast vs Wests TigersGCBecause Wests Tigers are useless.
2.Cronulla vs NewscastleShonkiesBecause last week their forwards dominated ours and Newcastle have a few injured or suspended.
3.Penrith vs SouthsPenrithOf course. Early days but they are looking like specials to be there on GF day again.
4.New Zealand vs BrisbaneBrisbaneNZ were atrocious last week.
5.Manly vs CanberraCanberraMany were atrocious last week as well.
6.North Queensland v Canberra Sydney RoostersNQWere obviously very good last week.
7.Melbourne vs CanterburyMelbourneSome big guns returning and Dogs were terrible last week.
8.St George Illawarra vs ParramattaSt GeorgeBecause I'm going to hold my breathe until Parra let them win.
  1. Gold Coast
  2. Cronulla
  3. Penrith
  4. New Zealand
  5. Manly
  6. North Queensland
  7. Melbourne
  8. Parramatta (if there are changes before kick off, I might change my opinion but with the team picked as of now....... )