2022 World Cup Soccer.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Anyone else following this? I'm following it a little. Going to nominate who I want to win the final group stage games.

Group A​

Ecuador v Senegal (Wednesday 2am)
Netherlands v Qatar (Wednesday 2am)

NETHERLANDS: WIN or DRAW against QATAR to advance. Can still advance if they LOSE, but only if ECUADOR beats SENEGAL.

ECUADOR: WIN or DRAW against SENEGAL to advance. Can still advance if they LOSE, but only if QATAR beats NETHERLANDS.

SENEGAL: Must WIN against ECUADOR to advance. Can still advance if they DRAW, but only if QATAR beats NETHERLANDS by two goals or more.

QATAR: Cannot advance.

This seems pretty certain. Netherlands and Ecuador to go through and win their final games.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Group B​

Iran v USA (Wednesday 6am)
Wales v England (Wednesday 6am)

ENGLAND: Must WIN or DRAW against WALES to advance. Can LOSE and advance, but only if USA WIN against IRAN.

IRAN: Must WIN against USA to advance. Can DRAW and advance, but only if WALES does not beat ENGLAND.

USA: Must WIN against IRAN to advance.

WALES: Must WIN against ENGLAND and hope USA and IRAN plays out a DRAW.

Iran v USA will be massive! I'm tipping a draw and England to obviously beat Wales so England and Iran go through.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Group C​

Poland v Argentina (Thursday 6am)
Saudi Arabia v Mexico (Thursday 6am)

POLAND: Must WIN or DRAW against ARGENTINA to advance. Can LOSE and advance, but only if MEXICO beats SAUDI ARABIA, then goal difference comes into play. If that game is a DRAW, it also comes down to goal difference.

ARGENTINA: WIN against POLAND to advance. Can DRAW and advance, but only if MEXICO and SAUDI ARABIA draw. If ARGENTINA plays out a DRAW and MEXICO wins, it comes down to goal difference.

SAUDI ARABIA: WIN against MEXICO to advance. Can DRAW and advance, but only if POLAND beats ARGENTINA. If SAUDI ARABIA plays out a DRAW and ARGENTINA wins, it comes down to goal difference with POLAND.

MEXICO: Must WIN against SAUDI ARABIA, and hope POLAND beats ARGENTINA. If ARGENTINA wins that match or if it is a DRAW, it comes down to goal difference.

This is a hard one. I'm tipping Argentina and Saudi Arabia to win and go through.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Group D​

Tunisia v France (Thursday 2am)
Australia v Denmark (Thursday 2am)

FRANCE: Already advanced. Only a LOSS to TUNISIA doubled with AUSTRALIA beating DENMARK would see them relinquish top spot.

AUSTRALIA: Must WIN against DENMARK. Can DRAW, but must hope TUNISIA does not beat FRANCE.

DENMARK: Must win against AUSTRALIA and hope FRANCE does not LOSE to TUNISIA. If that is the case and TUNISIA does beat FRANCE, it comes down to goal difference.

TUNISIA: Must WIN against FRANCE and hope AUSTRALIA does not beat DENMARK.

This is another tough one. France will win so it'll come down to Denmark v Australia. Denmark are hardly minnows of the game but I think Australia will be able to frustrate them into a draw and go through.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Group E​

Japan v Spain (Friday 6am)
Costa Rica v Germany (Friday 6am)

SPAIN: WIN or DRAW against JAPAN to advance. Can LOSE, but only if COSTA RICA does not beat GERMANY.

JAPAN: WIN against SPAIN to advance. Can DRAW, but only if COSTA RICA does not beat GERMANY. If they DRAW and GERMANY wins, goal difference will decide their fate.

COSTA RICA: WIN or DRAW against GERMANY to advance, so long as JAPAN does not WIN against SPAIN.

GERMANY: Must WIN against COSTA RICA and hope SPAIN beats JAPAN. If GERMANY does WIN and SPAIN v JAPAN is a DRAW, it comes down to goal difference.

Spain is a pretty safe bet to win and I think Germany will beat Costa Rica to go through.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Group F​

Croatia v Belgium (Friday 2am)
Canada v Morocco (Friday 2am)

CROATIA: WIN or DRAW against BELGIUM to advance. Can LOSE and advance, but only if CANADA beats MOROCCO, then goal difference comes into play.

MOROCCO: WIN or DRAW against CANADA to advance. Can LOSE and advance, but only if CROATIA beats BELGIUM or if that game is a DRAW, then goal difference comes into play.

BELGIUM: Must WIN against CROATIA to advance. Can DRAW and advance, but only if CANADA beats MOROCCO, then goal difference comes into play.

CANADA: Cannot advance.

I know Croatia made the final last time but this still seems like a pretty weak group. I'll go with Croatia and Belgium to draw and Morocco to win so they go through with Croatia.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Group G​

Serbia v Switzerland (Saturday 6am)
Cameroon v Brazil (Saturday 6am)

BRAZIL: Already advanced. Only a LOSS to CAMEROON and a SWITZERLAND WIN over SERBIA (plus a change of three or more in goal difference) would see them relinquish top spot.

SWITZERLAND: Must WIN or DRAW against SERBIA. Can LOSE and advance, but only if CAMEROON does not WIN against BRAZIL.

CAMEROON: Must WIN against BRAZIL and hope SERBIA does not LOSE to SWITZERLAND. If that match is a DRAW, then goal difference comes into play.

SERBIA: Must WIN against SWITZERLAND and hope CAMEROON does not WIN against BRAZIL.

This is another tough group. Keeping in mind Cameroon are the soccer superpower of Africa and Switzerland raid neighboring countries for players. So I'll go with Brazil to win and Switzerland and Serbia to draw. So Brazil and Switzerland go through.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Group H​

South Korea v Portugal (Saturday 2am)
Ghana v Uruguay (Saturday 2am)

PORTUGAL: Already advanced. Only a heavy LOSS to SOUTH KOREA and a comfortable GHANA WIN over URUGUAY would see them relinquish top spot.

GHANA: Must WIN against URUGUAY. Can DRAW and advance, but only if SOUTH KOREA does not WIN against PORTUGAL, then goal difference comes into play. Can LOSE and advance, but only if SOUTH KOREA and PORTUGAL play out a DRAW.

SOUTH KOREA: Must WIN against PORTUGAL and hope GHANA does not WIN against URUGUAY. If that match is a DRAW and SOUTH KOREA does WIN, then goal difference comes into play.

URUGUAY: Must WIN against GHANA and hope SOUTH KOREA does not WIN against PORTUGAL.

Portugal to win, obviously to secure top spot. Ghana to draw and go through.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Group D​

FRANCE: Already advanced. Only a LOSS to TUNISIA doubled with AUSTRALIA beating DENMARK would see them relinquish top spot.

AUSTRALIA: Must WIN against DENMARK. Can DRAW, but must hope TUNISIA does not beat FRANCE.

DENMARK: Must win against AUSTRALIA and hope FRANCE does not LOSE to TUNISIA. If that is the case and TUNISIA does beat FRANCE, it comes down to goal difference.

This is another tough one. France will win so it'll come down to Denmark v Australia. Denmark are hardly minnows of the game but I think Australia will be able to frustrate them into a draw and go through.
I'll tip in the knockout rounds but I hope Aus go through. When was the last time that happened? Has it ever?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Group B​

Iran v USA (Wednesday 6am)
Wales v England (Wednesday 6am)

ENGLAND: Must WIN or DRAW against WALES to advance. Can LOSE and advance, but only if USA WIN against IRAN.

IRAN: Must WIN against USA to advance. Can DRAW and advance, but only if WALES does not beat ENGLAND.

USA: Must WIN against IRAN to advance.

WALES: Must WIN against ENGLAND and hope USA and IRAN plays out a DRAW.

Iran v USA will be massive! I'm tipping a draw and England to obviously beat Wales so England and Iran go through.
Iran v USA will be a game between two thoroughly average teams but entertaining for other reasons.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

GROUP D​

I'm not interested enough to wait up but I hope Australia win.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Group D​

Well done to the Soccerwhos. The reward for going through to the quarter finals? A big game against Argentina. Anyone tipping Australia?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Group E

Japan v Spain (Friday 6am)
Costa Rica v Germany (Friday 6am)

SPAIN: WIN or DRAW against JAPAN to advance. Can LOSE, but only if COSTA RICA does not beat GERMANY.

JAPAN: WIN against SPAIN to advance. Can DRAW, but only if COSTA RICA does not beat GERMANY. If they DRAW and GERMANY wins, goal difference will decide their fate.

COSTA RICA: WIN or DRAW against GERMANY to advance, so long as JAPAN does not WIN against SPAIN.

GERMANY: Must WIN against COSTA RICA and hope SPAIN beats JAPAN. If GERMANY does WIN and SPAIN v JAPAN is a DRAW, it comes down to goal difference.

Spain is a pretty safe bet to win and I think Germany will beat Costa Rica to go through.
Germany out in the first round for the second time in 2 consecutive world cups. Japan comes top of the group beating Spain and Germany. Would would have picked that!?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Germany out in the first round for the second time in 2 consecutive world cups. Japan comes top of the group beating Spain and Germany. Would would have picked that!?
Huge surprise! Not so much Germany missing out. They have been poor for a while now. But Japan beating Spain was the second biggest shock so far. Behind Saudi Arabia beating Argentina.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

World Cup Soccer Round of 16​

If anyone is interested, please put your tips in.

Match: Group A 1st (Netherlands) vs Group B 2nd (USA) - Netherlands to win by 2.

Match: Group C 1st (Argentina) vs Group D 2nd (Australia) - Well, I think we all hope Australia win but seriously..... Argentina by 3

Match: Group E 1st (Japan) vs Group F 2nd (Croatia) - Croatia by 1 though this one is hard to pick as Japan beat Spain.

Match: Group G 1st (Brazil) vs Group H 2nd (South Korea) - Brazil by 3

Match: Group B 1st (England) vs Group A 2nd (Senegal) - England by 2

Match: Group D 1st (France) vs Group C 2nd (Poland) - France by 3

Match: Group F 1st (Morocco) vs Group E 2nd (Spain) - Spain by 2

Match: Group H 1st (Portugal) vs Group G 2nd (Switzerland) - This is the hardest to pick! I'll go with Switzerland in a penalty shootout.

Here is the bracket. Brazil v Argentina and England v France in the quarterfinals will be interesting.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Match: Group A 1st (Netherlands) vs Group B 2nd (USA) - Netherlands to win by 2.

Match: Group C 1st (Argentina) vs Group D 2nd (Australia) - Well, I think we all hope Australia win but seriously..... Argentina by 3

Match: Group E 1st (Japan) vs Group F 2nd (Croatia) - Croatia by 1 though this one is hard to pick as Japan beat Spain.

Match: Group H 1st (Portugal) vs Group G 2nd (Switzerland) - This is the hardest to pick! I'll go with Switzerland in a penalty shootout.

Here is the bracket. Brazil v Argentina and England v France in the quarterfinals will be interesting.
  1. Netherlands by 2
  2. Argentina by 4
  3. Japan by 1
  4. Brazil by 4
  5. England by 3
  6. France by 3
  7. Spain by 3
  8. Portugal by 2 (doesn't Ronaldo play for Portugal?)
BTW I just realised, Italy mustn't have made the finals! Talk about being upset in Germany, they must be losing their minds in Italy.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

• Netherlands by 1: USA are a good defensive team but hard to see them scoring more than 1 at most.

• Argentina by 3: Well done to Australia for getting this far but it's like Australia vs Italy in league.

• Japan by 1: They beat Germany and Spain so......

• Brazil by 4: They are going to go crazy.

• England by 1: At least one African team usually goes well. Senegal will do will well to hold England to 1 goal ahead.

• France by 4: Long day for Poland. They already don't believe they can win.

• Spain by 2: On reputation.

• Portugal by 1: Don't know why. Just because.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

The end result was predictable but Aus pushed the soccer superpower all the way.

Eric

Staff
The end result was predictable but Aus pushed the soccer superpower all the way.
There was a touch of Ben Hunt in the performance of the Australian goalkeeper. He screwed up badly then turned around and glared at one of his teammates.