2023 Pack

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
It's a par for the course them writing us off but that's just fine with me personally.

Every pack ranked first to last , 1-16​

14. ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Predicted starting pack:
8. Aaron Woods, 9. Andrew McCullough, 10. Blake Lawrie, 11. Jaydn Su’A, 12. Tariq Sims, 13. Jack de Belin.

Full pack: Daniel Alvaro, Jack Bird, George Burgess, Billy Burns, Jack de Belin, Poasa Faamausili, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jackson Ford, Jack Gosiewski, Josh Kerr, Blake Lawrie, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Francis Molo, Tariq Sims, Jaydn Su’A, Aaron Woods, Jayden Sullivan

Ins: Jaydn Su’A, Francis Molo, George Burgess, Aaron Woods, Jack Gosiewski

Outs: Cameron McInnes, Paul Vaughan, Kaide Ellis, Brayden Williame, Billy Brittain, Hayden Lomax

Analysis: The Dragons brought in several new faces to bolster their pack after veteran Paul Vaughan was shown the door in the wake of the BBQ scandal that rocked the club.

George Burgess and Aaron Woods will bring significant experience to what is shaping as a strong pack. Maroons enforcer Su’A is a strong addition and coach Anthony Griffin will expect him to bring plenty of grit and brute force to the side. Jack de Belin’s return last season showed he could potentially return to the form that saw him star for the Blues in 2018.

The Dragons are in the top five for several unwanted stats including missed tackles, errors and set restart infringements per game. Griffin must demand better discipline in 2022 if the Dragons are to play finals.

If they are rated so lowly due to easily fixable errors, that can only be a good thing. Looking at the ins and outs, it's honestly hard to say I'd prefer a single one of those outs to the ins. Obviously McInnes is a better player than a lot of those ins but is he a better backrower? I don't think so.

Eric

Staff
It's a par for the course them writing us off but that's just fine with me personally.

Predicted starting pack:
8. Aaron Woods, 9. Andrew McCullough, 10. Blake Lawrie, 11. Jaydn Su’A, 12. Tariq Sims, 13. Jack de Belin.

Full pack: Daniel Alvaro, Jack Bird, George Burgess, Billy Burns, Jack de Belin, Poasa Faamausili, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jackson Ford, Jack Gosiewski, Josh Kerr, Blake Lawrie, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, Francis Molo, Tariq Sims, Jaydn Su’A, Aaron Woods, Jayden Sullivan

Outs: Cameron McInnes, Paul Vaughan, Kaide Ellis, Brayden Williame, Billy Brittain, Hayden Lomax

Analysis: The Dragons brought in several new faces to bolster their pack after veteran Paul Vaughan was shown the door in the wake of the BBQ scandal that rocked the club.

George Burgess and Aaron Woods will bring significant experience to what is shaping as a strong pack. Maroons enforcer Su’A is a strong addition and coach Anthony Griffin will expect him to bring plenty of grit and brute force to the side. Jack de Belin’s return last season showed he could potentially return to the form that saw him star for the Blues in 2018.

St George Illawarra are in the top 5 for several unwanted stats including missed tackles, errors and set restart infringements per game. Griffin must demand better discipline in 2022 if the Dragons are to play finals.

If they are rated so lowly due to easily fixable errors, that can only be a good thing. Looking at the ins and outs, it's honestly hard to say I'd prefer a single one of those outs to the ins. Obviously McInnes is a better player than a lot of those ins but is he a better backrower? I don't think so.
The first thing that grabbed my attention was Brayden Williame. Was he ever a forward? Apart from that memorable try he set up against I think Brisbane Where he beat about 3 players, stumbled but managed to offload while drawing the fullback), he never did much in the backline.

Other than that, that's at least pretty close to the starting pack I'd go with. As a matter of fact, it is the starting pack I'd go with.

McInnes the backrower will give it 100% as he did for us but he won't have much impact, as he didn't for us. I think he'll be on the lookout for a new club where he can play hooker by the end of the year. Maybe we could pick him up with Shonkies paying a significant part of the remaining 3 years of his contract.

Eric

Staff

NRL: Aaron Woods on St George Illawarra Dragons move, rep footy and if he regrets leaving Wests Tigers​

Aaron Woods has spoken about how an “old school” honesty session with coach Anthony Griffin has St George Illawarra’s bargain recruit primed to turn back the clock this NRL season.

In an extensive interview, the former NSW and Australian Test prop also spoke openly about all that has gone on his life since he left the Wests Tigers.
Between 2013 and ‘17 Woods played 14 Origins for NSW, while wearing Australia’s Test jumper on 17 occasions (he was the Dally M front rower of the year in 2015 and ’17, yet hasn’t played any rep footy since his last Test in 2018).

And at 30, Woods is now on a contract thought to be worth about a third of the $800k a-season he got to leave the Tigers (remember, he only played 14 games for the Dogs before being pushed out the door to Cronulla).

“People ask, do I regret it?” Woods said of his decision to leave his junior club.
St George Illawarra Dragons Aaron Woods
Aaron Woods is enjoying his at the Dragons.

“You can say yeah but you can say no, because I really enjoyed my time at Cronulla. “I was one game away from a grand final there (in 2018) … I reckon we probably should have won the comp if we don’t lose Wade Graham in that first semi final.

“And as a leader I am completely different to what I was when I was 24 and captain at the Tigers. “You can probably say, yeah, I am spewing I didn’t get to play my entire career as a one club player. But I have learned so much about myself, and I have met some really lovely people.”

So does he think he could still compete at rep level if given the chance?

“Definitely. I’d love to,” he said. “But to be honest with you it is not really on my mind. “My mind is to get that starting jersey at the Dragons. “When I sat down with Hook he said, ‘Don’t just come here to be happy to fill the numbers, I want you to push for a starting jersey’. “And it is a challenge I have really loved taking on.”

HOOK’S ‘OLD SCHOOL’ STYLE

You might remember after Griffin was punted at Penrith, Reagan Campbell-Gillard was one player who took a swipe at his coaching methods, likening pre-season sessions to “Groundhog Day” and more suited to “marathon runners”.

But for Woods there has been no complaining.

“It’s a bit different training to what I’ve had in the past,” Woods conceded. “The first couple of weeks was a fair bit of old school running. 600s. 400s … but it’s all about seeing who can hang in there when times get tough, and we all have to push through it.

“I could have went down there and said, you know, I have played for NSW, I have played for Australia, I should be doing this, I should be doing that. “But I see it as an opportunity to get better.”

WINNING RESPECT

Woods says he knew exactly where he stood after his very first conversation with Griffin.

“It was funny, when we were in Brisbane (for the NRL relocation) we were staying in the same hotel,” Woods recalled. “And the Dragons were never on my radar, but I knew Peter Gentle well (Griffin’s assistant) and he said, ‘How would you go having a chat with Hook?’ “I said, ‘I’ve never met Hook before but I’d love to have a yarn’. I thought it was going to be a 20-minute chat or something, but I was in there for an hour and a half.”

And while they spoke about everything, one of Griffin’s non-negotiables was that Woods needed to make defence a priority.

“Definitely. That was one of our big points,” Woods said. “I was pretty lucky that I came through a system with Tim Sheens where we learnt how to play, whether that's counting numbers and all that when you have got the ball in your hand. “And I have been in a few sides that attacked really well, but probably weren’t great defensive sides. But under Hook’s regime it’s bite down on the mouth guard and we want to win with our defence.

“And we spoke about that, that if I wanted to go to another level with my game, if I can make my defence 10 per cent better, geez, I can really improve the way I can play my footy. “And we both agreed that was something he could really help me on. “And he does things at training where he has really challenged me on it and I have really enjoyed it. It is something I haven’t been challenged on before.”

BEING A DAD

For all the ups and downs in recent years, the beaming smile on big Woodsie’s face says it all when it comes to hanging out with family.

“It has probably made me a better person and a better player to be honest with you,” Woods said about his off-field life with partner Sarah, the proud parents of little Buster and Coco. “You know, you can’t have those days when you come home and mope around because you’ve had a crap day at footy or you’ve had a crap day at training.

“You can’t bring that home because you have got a kid that is waiting for you to walk through that screen door who absolutely idolises you, and if you come home with a terrible attitude it affects them and it also affects your relationship.”

Nothing very remarkable in this. I just hope that photo was taken very early during off season because he looks flabby. I never noticed that his defence was good or bad but until now, I never considered it. If it hasn't been good, I'm glad Griffin is on hos case about it.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

NRL: Aaron Woods on St George Illawarra Dragons move, rep footy and if he regrets leaving Wests Tigers​

Aaron Woods has spoken about how an “old school” honesty session with coach Anthony Griffin has St George Illawarra’s bargain recruit primed to turn back the clock this NRL season.

In an extensive interview, the former NSW and Australian Test prop also spoke openly about all that has gone on his life since he left the Wests Tigers.
Between 2013 and ‘17 Woods played 14 Origins for NSW, while wearing Australia’s Test jumper on 17 occasions (he was the Dally M front rower of the year in 2015 and ’17, yet hasn’t played any rep footy since his last Test in 2018).

And at 30, Woods is now on a contract thought to be worth about a third of the $800k a-season he got to leave the Tigers (remember, he only played 14 games for the Dogs before being pushed out the door to Cronulla).

“People ask, do I regret it?” Woods said of his decision to leave his junior club.
St George Illawarra Dragons Aaron Woods
Aaron Woods is enjoying his at the Dragons.

“You can say yeah but you can say no, because I really enjoyed my time at Cronulla. “I was one game away from a grand final there (in 2018) … I reckon we probably should have won the comp if we don’t lose Wade Graham in that first semi final.

“And as a leader I am completely different to what I was when I was 24 and captain at the Tigers. “You can probably say, yeah, I am spewing I didn’t get to play my entire career as a one club player. But I have learned so much about myself, and I have met some really lovely people.”

So does he think he could still compete at rep level if given the chance?

“Definitely. I’d love to,” he said. “But to be honest with you it is not really on my mind. “My mind is to get that starting jersey at the Dragons. “When I sat down with Hook he said, ‘Don’t just come here to be happy to fill the numbers, I want you to push for a starting jersey’. “And it is a challenge I have really loved taking on.”

HOOK’S ‘OLD SCHOOL’ STYLE

You might remember after Griffin was punted at Penrith, Reagan Campbell-Gillard was one player who took a swipe at his coaching methods, likening pre-season sessions to “Groundhog Day” and more suited to “marathon runners”.

But for Woods there has been no complaining.

“It’s a bit different training to what I’ve had in the past,” Woods conceded. “The first couple of weeks was a fair bit of old school running. 600s. 400s … but it’s all about seeing who can hang in there when times get tough, and we all have to push through it.

“I could have went down there and said, you know, I have played for NSW, I have played for Australia, I should be doing this, I should be doing that. “But I see it as an opportunity to get better.”

WINNING RESPECT

Woods says he knew exactly where he stood after his very first conversation with Griffin.

“It was funny, when we were in Brisbane (for the NRL relocation) we were staying in the same hotel,” Woods recalled. “And the Dragons were never on my radar, but I knew Peter Gentle well (Griffin’s assistant) and he said, ‘How would you go having a chat with Hook?’ “I said, ‘I’ve never met Hook before but I’d love to have a yarn’. I thought it was going to be a 20-minute chat or something, but I was in there for an hour and a half.”

And while they spoke about everything, one of Griffin’s non-negotiables was that Woods needed to make defence a priority.

“Definitely. That was one of our big points,” Woods said. “I was pretty lucky that I came through a system with Tim Sheens where we learnt how to play, whether that's counting numbers and all that when you have got the ball in your hand. “And I have been in a few sides that attacked really well, but probably weren’t great defensive sides. But under Hook’s regime it’s bite down on the mouth guard and we want to win with our defence.

“And we spoke about that, that if I wanted to go to another level with my game, if I can make my defence 10 per cent better, geez, I can really improve the way I can play my footy. “And we both agreed that was something he could really help me on. “And he does things at training where he has really challenged me on it and I have really enjoyed it. It is something I haven’t been challenged on before.”

BEING A DAD

For all the ups and downs in recent years, the beaming smile on big Woodsie’s face says it all when it comes to hanging out with family.

“It has probably made me a better person and a better player to be honest with you,” Woods said about his off-field life with partner Sarah, the proud parents of little Buster and Coco. “You know, you can’t have those days when you come home and mope around because you’ve had a crap day at footy or you’ve had a crap day at training.

“You can’t bring that home because you have got a kid that is waiting for you to walk through that screen door who absolutely idolises you, and if you come home with a terrible attitude it affects them and it also affects your relationship.”

Nothing very remarkable in this. I just hope that photo was taken very early during off season because he looks flabby. I never noticed that his defence was good or bad but until now, I never considered it. If it hasn't been good, I'm glad Griffin is on hos case about it.
He has always been flabby. Doesn't mean he isn't fit.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Predicted starting pack:

St George Illawarra are in the top five for several unwanted stats including missed tackles, errors and set restart infringements per game. Griffin must demand better discipline in 2022 if the Dragons are to play finals.

Jack Bird and Josh McGuire on the bench seems like a pretty strong pack to me.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Predicted starting pack:

The Dragons are in the top five for several unwanted stats including missed tackles, errors and set restart infringements per game. Griffin must demand better discipline in 2022 if the Dragons are to play finals.

Just the way I would want it as a coach, the underdog tag is something traditionally not associated with the Dragons at the start of any season. I believe strongly that our pack will be making metres in the middle of the park that will defy this rating of them. I hope they are reading this being written off, its a great start for us.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The first thing that grabbed my attention was Brayden Williame. Was he ever a forward? Apart from that memorable try he set up against I think Brisbane Where he beat about 3 players, stumbled but managed to offload while drawing the fullback), he never did much in the backline.

Other than that, that's at least pretty close to the starting pack I'd go with. As a matter of fact, it is the starting pack I'd go with.

McInnes the backrower will give it 100% as he did for us but he won't have much impact, as he didn't for us. I think he'll be on the lookout for a new club where he can play hooker by the end of the year. Maybe we could pick him up with Shonkies paying a significant part of the remaining 3 years of his contract.
As far as I know, Hook wasn't impressed with McInnes passing from dummy half. After so much time out and so little time training as a hooker, that has probably gotten worse if anything.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Just the way I would want it as a coach, the underdog tag is something traditionally not associated with the Dragons at the start of any season. I believe strongly that our pack will be making metres in the middle of the park that will defy this rating of them. I hope they are reading this being written off, its a great start for us.
That's a very good point. We should encourage the media to write them off.

Eric

Staff
As far as I know, Hook wasn't impressed with McInnes passing from dummy half. After so much time out and so little time training as a hooker, that has probably gotten worse if anything.
Is that a fact? Didn't know it and I well remember Rein's struggles in that area but didn't think the same was true of McInnes. I just thought he was after more money than Griffin thought he was worth. And whether I agreed or not, I was a big fan of Griffin holding firm in the face of media pressure to resign him. To me it was a sign things were finally starting to look up.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Is that a fact? Didn't know it and I well remember Rein's struggles in that area but didn't think the same was true of McInnes. I just thought he was after more money than Griffin thought he was worth. And whether I agreed or not, I was a big fan of Griffin holding firm in the face of media pressure to resign him. To me it was a sign things were finally starting to look up.
No, not a fact just a rumour I heard.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I've heard that as well but only from fans, not from anyone associated with the club. McCullough for half the price of McInnes is a good deal for the club even though McInnes is a better player.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I've heard that as well but only from fans, not from anyone associated with the club. McCullough for half the price of McInnes is a good deal for the club even though McInnes is a better player.
I guess this is probably correct but don't be so sure. He was a new coach at the time pushing out the captain in favour of an aging tackling machine who didn't seem to offer much more than that. He needed an excuse to push out McInnes for political reasons. If he had already had a lot of success, everyone would have just trusted him.

Eric

Staff
I guess this is probably correct but don't be so sure. He was a new coach at the time pushing out the captain in favour of an aging tackling machine who didn't seem to offer much more than that. He needed an excuse to push out McInnes for political reasons. If he had already had a lot of success, everyone would have just trusted him.
However it went down, I feel it was the right decision. I think being transformed into a lock is going to be bad for him. He was a fringe rep player as a hooker but is going to struggle to be a NRL standard lock and has apparently put on too much weight to transform into a lock to ever go back to being a good hooker. So we have to hope the hooker the club has high hopes in for next year or the year after doesn't disappoint. I forget his name.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Eric

Staff

‘I Didn’t care how I played’: St George Illawarra Dragons star’s honest admission as NRL future revealed​

Dragons star Jack Bird admits he didn’t care how he played in his comeback season as he tried to get his rugby league career back on track, but he now wants to stay long-term.

It was not that Bird didn’t care about the team or his performance, but after two ACL injuries, a shoulder injury and a sternum injury during his time at the Broncos, he simply just wanted to stay on the field in 2021.

The now 26-year-old’s big money Broncos deal came to an end in 2020 after just 17 games in three seasons for the club due to a horror run of luck with injuries, with Brisbane chipping in a fair chunk for him to play for the Dragons last season.

However Bird repaid the faith by scoring four tries in 22 games in his first season back at his junior club and he excelled in the second row after shifting from the centres to the forwards.

Bird revealed his main aim was to spend as much time on the field as possible last year and let the rest take care of itself. “Last year, I was just trying to get a full season under my belt,” Bird said. “I didn’t really care how I played – if I played shit or whatever, I just wanted to make sure I got a full season. “You know what injuries do to you – they make you lose confidence in your body and the game you usually play.

“Coming off two ACLs, a shoulder and sternum, it took a lot of confidence away from my game and me as a person.” Bird admits to some dark times as he heard the whispers that he may never return to his best as a rugby league player. "It was kind of hard to get back, but I feel like I’m getting there. It’s been a pretty tough road,” Bird said. “People count you out…coming back, I’m not trying to prove them wrong, but you know your self-worth. “I know I am bigger than what they think I am and I know what I can do on a footy field.”

Bird’s two-year deal with the Dragons expires at the end of the 2022 season and he revealed he wants to get a deal to stay with the club long-term sorted before the season kicks off.

However with that timeline looking unlikely as the season approaches, Bird revealed he hasn’t spoken to other clubs and just wants to repay the Dragons for helping him resurrect his career.

“I want to try and get my contract sorted before Round 1,” Bird said. “I don’t think it’s going to happen, it’s just around the corner. “100 per-cent I want to stay, I’ve let them know I want to be there. “We just have to come up with a deal – I haven’t spoke to any other club.”

Bird has scored 23 tries and 104 points in 105 games for the Sharks, Broncos and Dragons since his debut in 2015, while he played five Origins for the Blues and won a premiership with Cronulla in 2016.

It's nice he wants to stay but that's what they all say. If Redcliff offers him $**** more that us, he'll leave. But lets see what he's got in the second row. I hope he kills it! For the club and for himself.

Eric

Staff
I thought in a badly beaten team he was one of our best last season
Yeah, that's probably the case but what is his best position? He is good in several, not a standout in any IMO. That's great for an interchange utility but interchange utilities aren't on the big money. That's just how I feel about it.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Was just reading about two very highly regarded North Queensland backrowers, one 18 and one 20, apparently on the radar of the Dolphins. If Billy Burns comes good it's probably a mute point as Su'a and Burns will be good backrowers for at least the next 3~4 years. Otherwise, we are probably in a position to launch into a bidding war.

Not sure it's a good idea. I hear that when rugby union poached Sailor and a few other NRL players, the existing rugby union stars were very unhappy because they were as good or better rugby union players but on way less money.

But anyway, have to spend the money we surely have somewhere and forwards seems to be the area more star power is needed (though depth isn't an issue).

COWBOYS STAR ON DOLPHINS WISHLIST
The Dolphins are reportedly on the hunt for Cowboys young gun Jeremiah Nanai to add to their experienced forward signings. Wayne Bennett and the 17th NRL club are said to be chasing the back-rower’s signature according to the Courier Mail.

Football operations chief Michael Luck has hit back at the Dolphins potential play, tabling a lucrative extension to ensure Nanai is a Cowboys player for years to come.

Nanai, 18 and 20-year-old Heilum Luki are considered the most exciting due to come out of North Queensland since Jason Taumalolo’s introduction in 2010. As the vultures circle, Luck is backing his club to table offers which rival those tabled by other clubs, keeping young guns in North Queensland.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Was just reading about two very highly regarded North Queensland backrowers, one 18 and one 20, apparently on the radar of the Dolphins. If Billy Burns comes good it's probably a mute point as Su'a and Burns will be good backrowers for at least the next 3~4 years. Otherwise, we are probably in a position to launch into a bidding war.

Not sure it's a good idea. I hear that when rugby union poached Sailor and a few other NRL players, the existing rugby union stars were very unhappy because they were as good or better rugby union players but on way less money.

But anyway, have to spend the money we surely have somewhere and forwards seems to be the area more star power is needed (though depth isn't an issue).

COWBOYS STAR ON DOLPHINS WISHLIST
The Dolphins are reportedly on the hunt for Cowboys young gun Jeremiah Nanai to add to their experienced forward signings. Wayne Bennett and the 17th NRL club are said to be chasing the back-rower’s signature according to the Courier Mail.

Football operations chief Michael Luck has hit back at the Dolphins potential play, tabling a lucrative extension to ensure Nanai is a Cowboys player for years to come.

Nanai, 18 and 20-year-old Heilum Luki are considered the most exciting due to come out of North Queensland since Jason Taumalolo’s introduction in 2010. As the vultures circle, Luck is backing his club to table offers which rival those tabled by other clubs, keeping young guns in North Queensland.
Maybe the club is set on Su'a and Burns. Otherwise why isn't St George in the conversation for any of these forwards.

But Burns is off contract this year and no one seems to be in a hurry to re-sign him.

Someone pointed out Su'a is an excellent defender. That may be so but how is his running game? I have doubts about both.

Then there is Jack Bird. He's good all over the field but I think he'd make a better middle forward. Has footwork and speed but not necessarily tackle busting power on the edges.

We need big, fast backrowers running over the top of Keary and Walker.