2023 Pack

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Maybe it's a subtle way of walking back their previous writing off of our chances this year?
More likely they've got the forwards fired up and now regret. The media types who wrote St George off are nervous.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
So ya'll think Bird will be starting in the backrow with Su'a now? I guess that's what Hook is thinking.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
So ya'll think Bird will be starting in the backrow with Su'a now? I guess that's what Hook is thinking.
I thought Sims until I saw Sims stats from last season. He was really poor! His excellent form in SOO pulled the wool over the eyes of a lot of people. I still think Sims has the edge due to his proven ability in the backrow but I'd say he's on thin ice.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Shootout in the trial games. Maybe a lot will depend on the front rowers. If they are rolling forward, maybe a smaller more mobile player like Bird would better serve the team. If not, better have Sims in there early on with hard carries in the middle before being replaced or shifting back to the edge, if he's fit enough.

Eric

Staff
Shootout in the trial games. Maybe a lot will depend on the front rowers. If they are rolling forward, maybe a smaller more mobile player like Bird would better serve the team. If not, better have Sims in there early on with hard carries in the middle before being replaced or shifting back to the edge, if he's fit enough.
Billy Burns is the one we keep forgetting. It seems he is on the outer but hasn't signed anywhere else yet. Hopefully with a full off season under his belt and a few more kgs, he is ready to become a consistent NRL player.

Eric

Staff

NRL 2022 pictures: St George Illawarra Dragons recruit George Burgess’s stunning transformation

George Burgess has talked about the off-season’s most astonishing body transformation, explaining how he hopes to play for St George Illawarra Dragons.

A toned up but trimmed down George Burgess has opened up about the NRL off-season’s most astonishing body transformation, revealing he has dropped a whopping 10kg following career-saving hip surgery.

Dragons Burgess.jpgDeclaring “I have a lot of football left in me”, Burgess also revealed the role he hopes to play for St George Illawarra this NRL season. And how the now 29-year-old will take inspiration from Melbourne’s man mountain Nelson Asofa-Solomona and his own giant twin brother Tom in adapting to the new style under the six again rule for the super-sized props.

The Dragons new recruit will run out for his first game in Australia in 884 days in Sunday’s trial against Parramatta at CommBank Stadium. Then next week he will go head-to-head against twin Tom when he takes on his old club South Sydney in the Charity Shield. George explained that while he’s looking forward to the showdown, his mother Julie won’t be. “We have never played against each other except in opposed training sessions at Souths,” George said. “But it will just be like backyard footy back in the day. We don’t mind putting a few shots on each other.

“But I don’t know if my Mum will be able to watch. She might be covering her eyes.”But right now all George is focusing on is making the biggest impact he can for the Dragons who threw him a lifeline when almost everyone else had his rugby league career dead and buried.

He explained how for years before he even went to England (where he only lasted eight games for Wigan) the constant pain associated with his hip not only affected him physically, but mentally.

At the time no one outside Souths’ inner sanctum understood what he was going through. Most just assumed the player who was at his rampaging best in the 2014 grand final had had his day. Little did they know pretty much every waking moment was spent in pain. “It was a very frustrating time,” he continued.St George Illawarra Dragons George Burgess.jpg

“Just your body not being able to do what your mind wants to do. “It affects your form and things go downhill pretty quickly from there.” He conceded it impacted everyone around him, including his wife and kids. But surgery saved him. It was an operation that required having the top of his femur shaved off and a metal cap placed on top, with metal then placed into his pelvis to act as a socket.

He explained how no one has ever come back from it and played rugby league previously, but he says he hasn’t felt this good for years. “I have dropped probably 10 kilos,” Burgess continued. “I was 134 when I started and it ranges between 123 and 125 at the minute. “I am 29 so I am still hanging on to the 20s.

“But mentally I feel really fresh. It is probably down to the fact in years ‘19, ‘20, ‘21 I have probably only played not 20 games in those three years. “I am raring to go.

“I have a lot of football left in me. I have only played 150 games so I think I can play a lot more than that in my career, especially now I have the new metal hip.

“To be honest when I left the NRL, you know, you do the parade on the grand final, and it didn’t feel right at the time. “I was only 27 so I thought I might come back and play.

“But there was definitely a point in England when I thought I wouldn’t be able to come back and play at any level.

“So just to be pulling on the boots again, I am very grateful for that. I am looking forward to it.”

Asked if he has set himself the challenge of winning a starting spot, George explained why that was old-school thinking. “I think if I am getting back to my best it doesn’t matter whether I am starting off the bench, it just matters what I do when I am on the field,” he said. “You saw last year a lot of experienced and high level front-rowers were coming off the bench. It is not that traditional (where) your best front rowers start.

“Like Tommy was good off the bench towards the end of last year and big Nelson for Melbourne, a lot of teams found him hard to handle off the bench. “I might be able to play that role for the Dragons, we will see.”

Eric

Staff

Jack Bird to test open market as contract talks with St George Illawarra Dragons break down​

Three NRL rivals are ready to splash the cash on Jack Bird after he decided to test the open market.​

Jack Bird’s time at the St George Illawarra Dragons is at the crossroads following a breakdown in contract-extension talks. Unhappy at being asked to take a significant pay cut, Bird and his agent David Riolo have decided to immediately test the open market for 2023 and onwards. We can reveal Bird has spoken to old super coach Wayne Bennett in recent days about the possibility of him joining the NRL’s 17th franchise next year.

It was Bennett who signed Bird at the Brisbane Broncos back in 2018 in an ill-fated and injury plagued move from the Cronulla Sharks. Bird was on $1 million a year at the Broncos but the Dragons are offering only half that. The Dragons also have an issue in negotiations with front-rower Blake Lawrie. Talks have stalled and he will also test the open market. But Bird is the big story.

St George Illawarra Dragons Jack Bird“They made an offer before Christmas, we had a few meetings, but nothing’s happened,” Riolo said. “We’re not at each other but the talks have stalled. We’re on different pages at the moment. “There’s a fair bit of interest from other clubs. I wouldn’t be saying he’s looking to leave at this stage but he’s got to look at his options. “We’re now in the process of seeing what’s out there.”

The talks with Bennett are interesting but it’s unlikely Bird will want to leave the south coast for another stint in Brisbane. This is where Bird’s old club, the Cronulla Sharks, become a possible option. Bird won the 2016 premiership at the Cronulla Sharks after bursting onto the scene as one of the game’s hottest young talents. The Sharks have the experienced trio of Andrew Fifita, Wade Graham and Matt Moylan off contract at the end of the season. Together they soak up almost $2 million of the Sharks’ salary cap.

All three are not certain to be there next season which would free up dollars for Bird, who at 26, has another five years in the NRL. Another option is the Parramatta Eels who have lost Reed Mahoney, Isaiah Papali’i and probably Ryan Matterson at the end of the season. The Dragons last week locked down coach Anthony Griffin for another 12 months. It kills the controversy and conversations around the coach and stabilises the footy club. Yet it’s the exact opposite with arguably their best player. Having him talking to rival clubs on the eve of the premiership kick-off is hardly ideal.

I'm a fan of Bird and Lawrie but Bird isn't even close to worth 1mil a season. 500k is a little stingy in my opinion but maybe it's just more evidence Griffin has a lot of confidence in the young forwards coming though. I'm not privy to that info so assuming it isn't the case, that only the young forwards I know about such as Coric, Shereb and O'Ofuo are a chance of making it in the NRL, I'd offer Bird 600k and go up to 675k max.

And judging by yesterdays game, Lawrie is inferior to Coric, Molo jnr and Hunt. Though of course Lawrie's main strength is his ability to run around at almost 100% for long periods so it may not be exactly a like for like swap.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I thought Jaiden Hunt went well enough to earn a contract, defensively very good attacking wise not quite there yet. Fuimiano will be out again for longer than McGuire he just appears to be poor defensively in technique, last year was bad enough with the hit on Pap but he has repeated it again this year albeit an entirely different type of tackle but to me both show a really poor technique you would have been identified and fixed in the pre season, hes not a keeper. For me Im a big fan of Bird but not at $1m, perhaps tops 700s and that is a fair price for his new position. I see no reason in keeping Lawrie if he is after too much money, hes a workhorse no doubt, tries hard no doubt, but at this stage he just isnt good enough in attack and hes not one in defence that would have an opposing forward fearing to run at him, just my thoughts.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Jack Bird to test open market as contract talks with St George Illawarra Dragons break down​

Three NRL rivals are ready to splash the cash on Jack Bird after he decided to test the open market.​

Jack Bird’s time at the St George Illawarra Dragons is at the crossroads following a breakdown in contract-extension talks. Unhappy at being asked to take a significant pay cut, Bird and his agent David Riolo have decided to immediately test the open market for 2023 and onwards. We can reveal Bird has spoken to old super coach Wayne Bennett in recent days about the possibility of him joining the NRL’s 17th franchise next year.

It was Bennett who signed Bird at the Brisbane Broncos back in 2018 in an ill-fated and injury plagued move from the Cronulla Sharks. Bird was on $1 million a year at the Broncos but the Dragons are offering only half that. The Dragons also have an issue in negotiations with front-rower Blake Lawrie. Talks have stalled and he will also test the open market. But Bird is the big story.

View attachment 12“They made an offer before Christmas, we had a few meetings, but nothing’s happened,” Riolo said. “We’re not at each other but the talks have stalled. We’re on different pages at the moment. “There’s a fair bit of interest from other clubs. I wouldn’t be saying he’s looking to leave at this stage but he’s got to look at his options. “We’re now in the process of seeing what’s out there.”

The talks with Bennett are interesting but it’s unlikely Bird will want to leave the south coast for another stint in Brisbane. This is where Bird’s old club, the Cronulla Sharks, become a possible option. Bird won the 2016 premiership at the Cronulla Sharks after bursting onto the scene as one of the game’s hottest young talents. The Sharks have the experienced trio of Andrew Fifita, Wade Graham and Matt Moylan off contract at the end of the season. Together they soak up almost $2 million of the Sharks’ salary cap.

All three are not certain to be there next season which would free up dollars for Bird, who at 26, has another five years in the NRL. Another option is the Parramatta Eels who have lost Reed Mahoney, Isaiah Papali’i and probably Ryan Matterson at the end of the season. The Dragons last week locked down coach Anthony Griffin for another 12 months. It kills the controversy and conversations around the coach and stabilises the footy club. Yet it’s the exact opposite with arguably their best player. Having him talking to rival clubs on the eve of the premiership kick-off is hardly ideal.

I'm a fan of Bird and Lawrie but Bird isn't even close to worth 1mil a season. 500k is a little stingy in my opinion but maybe it's just more evidence Griffin has a lot of confidence in the young forwards coming though. I'm not privy to that info so assuming it isn't the case, that only the young forwards I know about such as Coric, Shereb and O'Ofuo are a chance of making it in the NRL, I'd offer Bird 600k and go up to 675k max.

And judging by yesterdays game, Lawrie is inferior to Coric, Molo jnr and Hunt. Though of course Lawrie's main strength is his ability to run around at almost 100% for long periods so it may not be exactly a like for like swap.
500~600 seems about right. He isn't a rep player anymore.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I thought Jaiden Hunt went well enough to earn a contract, defensively very good attacking wise not quite there yet. Fuimiano will be out again for longer than McGuire he just appears to be poor defensively in technique, last year was bad enough with the hit on Pap but he has repeated it again this year albeit an entirely different type of tackle but to me both show a really poor technique you would have been identified and fixed in the pre season, hes not a keeper. For me Im a big fan of Bird but not at $1m, perhaps tops 700s and that is a fair price for his new position. I see no reason in keeping Lawrie if he is after too much money, hes a workhorse no doubt, tries hard no doubt, but at this stage he just isnt good enough in attack and hes not one in defence that would have an opposing forward fearing to run at him, just my thoughts.
You may be right about Fuimaono but when players players duck or crouch just before being hit by a defender, and as a result get hit high. It's one of my pet peeves. That is exactly what happened with Papenhauzen and Fuimaono last season. If Papenhauzen remained upright, he would have been hit below the shoulders. Same thing happened with Moga getting penalised and binned yesterday.

Agree about Lawrie. It would be nice to see local juniors excel but if he hasn't got an offload in his game this season along with doing what he already does well, it's time to offload him.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Why do you say attacking wise he (Jaiden Hunt) isn't quite there yet?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Why do you say attacking wise he (Jaiden Hunt) isn't quite there yet?
He just needs to learn to run at an angle in attack not straight, usually the best back rowers and edge attackers run at angles and or have a step when they come to the defensive line, he doesn't have that, well didn't show that yesterday, and also he dropped the ball when the pass came and although under pressure because he was halfway through the line. If he held on to it he may have scored or set up a 2nd phase or a quick play the ball just my view. If I was the coach he is a keeper he played well and showed good technique in defence and showed some mongrel. In todays game you need to be tackled and fall on your stomach for a quick play the ball not be wrestled onto your back, that is the difference between the top 4 and the rest at the moment, its the ruck controlling or competing in the ruck and being able to obtain a quick play the ball. There will be more penalties in this area this season.

Eric

Staff
He just needs to learn to run at an angle in attack not straight, usually the best back rowers and edge attackers run at angles and or have a step when they come to the defensive line, he doesn't have that, well didn't show that yesterday, and also he dropped the ball when the pass came and although under pressure because he was halfway through the line. If he held on to it he may have scored or set up a 2nd phase or a quick play the ball just my view. If I was the coach he is a keeper he played well and showed good technique in defence and showed some mongrel. In todays game you need to be tackled and fall on your stomach for a quick play the ball not be wrestled onto your back, that is the difference between the top 4 and the rest at the moment, its the ruck controlling or competing in the ruck and being able to obtain a quick play the ball. There will be more penalties in this area this season.
Makes sense.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
But remember if he did those things really well, he'd be one of the best, and highest paid frontrowers in the competition. I think the ability to throw a pass is really important for a frontrower as well. I think Molo snr can do it but didn't yesterday. Molo jnr did, as far as I remember. Woods definately can. I think Burgess and Lawrie can't.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
He's a work in progress but being big, fast (for a prop) aggressive and hard hitting in defence is a good start. I wonder what his stamina is like. And most importantly, what his consistency is like.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The bottom line is, the front row or middle forward stocks this year are infinitely stronger than last year or the year before. Molo, Coric and Hunt were more impressive than their more experienced teammates but hard to make any determination after just one game.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
But remember if he did those things really well, he'd be one of the best, and highest paid frontrowers in the competition. I think the ability to throw a pass is really important for a frontrower as well. I think Molo snr can do it but didn't yesterday. Molo jnr did, as far as I remember. Woods definately can. I think Burgess and Lawrie can't.
Thats why hes a keeper because he can develop those skills. I liked the look of him. Plus he's a local coming up through our NSW Cup so he's actually playing for a contract upgrade. He's 23 now so for a prop he's got another 10 yrs in him so worth keeping because of that

Eric

Staff
Thats why hes a keeper because he can develop those skills. I liked the look of him. Plus he's a local coming up through our NSW Cup so he's actually playing for a contract upgrade. He's 23 now so for a prop he's got another 10 yrs in him so worth keeping because of that
Definitely worth keeping. 23 sounds just about the right age for a typical prop to make his move.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I'm just wondering how much patience Hook has with the likes of F. Molo, Burgess, Lawrie and Woods. One trial game can be forgiven but if they don't perform in the Charity Shield? How about round 1? Could we see some of them dropped for Coric, Molo jnr and Hunt or will it take much longer?