2023 Pack

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Maybe the club is set on Su'a and Burns. Otherwise why isn't St George in the conversation for any of these forwards.

But Burns is off contract this year and no one seems to be in a hurry to re-sign him.

Someone pointed out Su'a is an excellent defender. That may be so but how is his running game? I have doubts about both.

Then there is Jack Bird. He's good all over the field but I think he'd make a better middle forward. Has footwork and speed but not necessarily tackle busting power on the edges.

We need big, fast backrowers running over the top of Keary and Walker.
No reason Bird couldn't run over the top of those two. As a matter of fact, one could argue Bird is more likely to do that. What he lacks in size compared to Burns he makes up in his ability to step past ******** in order to be one on one with *******.

Eric

Staff
No reason Bird couldn't run over the top of those two. As a matter of fact, one could argue Bird is more likely to do that. What he lacks in size compared to Burns he makes up in his ability to step past ******** in order to be one on one with *******.

Maybe the club is set on Su'a and Burns. Otherwise why isn't St George in the conversation for any of these forwards.

But Burns is off contract this year and no one seems to be in a hurry to re-sign him.

Someone pointed out Su'a is an excellent defender. That may be so but how is his running game? I have doubts about both.

Then there is Jack Bird. He's good all over the field but I think he'd make a better middle forward. Has footwork and speed but not necessarily tackle busting power on the edges.

We need big, fast backrowers running over the top of Keary and Walker.
Personally it's hard for me to see where all the salary cap money is going for us not to be in the conversation for any good, young forwards coming off contract no matter what one thinks of Bird, Su'A, Sims, Burns, Ford, Woods, McGuire or whomever.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
This probably isn't a surprise. We have the oldest pack in the competition. Or at least the most forwards over 30 or to turn 30 early this season. Unless a team has a forward pack of almost entirely late 20s. Even then, Su'a and Lawrie will be our only forwards under 30.
Team
Players over 30
Players
Forwards over 30
Definite 1st grade over 30
St George Illawarra Dragons7(Ben Hunt, Aaron Woods, Andrew McCullough, Jack De Belin, George Burgess*, Tariq Sims, Josh McGuire)6 (Woods, McCullough, De Belin, G Burgess*, Sims, McGuire)7 (Hunt, Woods, McCullough, De Belin, G Burgess*, Sims, McGuire)
As opposed to Penrith and Parramatta who have zero in any of those categories.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
This probably isn't a surprise. We have the oldest pack in the competition. Or at least the most forwards over 30 or to turn 30 early this season. Unless a team has a forward pack of almost entirely late 20s. Even then, Su'a and Lawrie will be our only forwards under 30.
Team
Players over 30
Players
Forwards over 30
St George Illawarra Dragons7(Ben Hunt, Aaron Woods, Andrew McCullough, Jack De Belin, George Burgess*, Tariq Sims, Josh McGuire)6 (Woods, McCullough, De Belin, G Burgess*, Sims, McGuire)7 (Hunt, Woods, McCullough, De Belin, G Burgess*, Sims, McGuire)
It's alarming!!!!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Team
Players over 30
Players
Forwards over 30
Mr Griffin needs to show he has a long-term plan because this doesn't make for good reading.

Eric

Staff
Team
Players over 30
Players
Forwards over 30
It should be fine. But definitely need some action on young forwards this year. Need to keep an eye on the NSW Cup. There are a few young forwards people have been talking up for a while. O'fuo is 23! If he doesn't make it this year, he's not going to make it.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Doesn't make for happy reading. Hopefully with the large amount of salary cap space the club must have, there is a plan to get some good, young forwards from somewhere. Maybe there are a few good ones in the ESL. I would say raid rugby union but their forwards typically don't make it in league.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Doesn't make for happy reading. Hopefully with the large amount of salary cap space the club must have, there is a plan to get some good, young forwards from somewhere. Maybe there are a few good ones in the ESL. I would say raid rugby union but their forwards typically don't make it in league.
That's true about union but not sure why. The 3 front rowers as opposed to 2 and a hooker in league tend to be too slow for league. Break-aways tend to be too skinny. They'd get folded and put on their back in every tackle if not gang tackled and driven 10m backward. But not sure why second rowers and locks couldn't make it.

The club should be looking under every stone because as mentioned above, this doesn't make for happy reading. And is Blake Lawrie on the outer? He is unsigned beyond this year and club doesn't seem to be any hurry to re-sign him. Wouldn't surprise me. If all he does his run and get tackled (no offloads or passes), we can probably find other props on a minimum wage who do that better.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Forwards especially props dont really reach their prime until their 30s as long as they are injury free and have the necessary talent. I certainly would rather have this years pack than last years. With excellent defenders in the engine room either side of the ruck, Debelin and Sua you wont find 2 better tacklers, add McCullogh you have 3 of the best forward defenders playing the game. My only concern is the props Woods in not a renowned tackler neither Burgess, Lawrie is getting better but not considered as a do not run directly at him defender, Molo is good but cant defend both sides of the ruck so I would say that the opposition will target Woods, Burgess and Lawrie when they are on. If they can hold their own it will go a long way to ensuring a competitive season fingers crossed

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Forwards especially props dont really reach their prime until their 30s as long as they are injury free and have the necessary talent. I certainly would rather have this years pack than last years. With excellent defenders in the engine room either side of the ruck, Debelin and Sua you wont find 2 better tacklers, add McCullogh you have 3 of the best forward defenders playing the game. My only concern is the props Woods in not a renowned tackler neither Burgess, Lawrie is getting better but not considered as a do not run directly at him defender, Molo is good but cant defend both sides of the ruck so I would say that the opposition will target Woods, Burgess and Lawrie when they are on. If they can hold their own it will go a long way to ensuring a competitive season fingers crossed
Lawrie is a pretty decent defender, isn't he? Seems to run around a lot, chasing down ball runners more than most props and I never noticed him miss many.

I agree about the forwards being better this year. I'm just wondering if they are good enough to have us in or around the top 4. Because I believe the backs might be good enough for that.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Lawrie is a pretty decent defender, isn't he? Seems to run around a lot, chasing down ball runners more than most props and I never noticed him miss many.

I agree about the forwards being better this year. I'm just wondering if they are good enough to have us in or around the top 4. Because I believe the backs might be good enough for that.
Actually Lawrie tackling stats are not bad he averaged 31 p.g Bird will have to do more tackling if he's in the pack. Im worried about our props Molo ave 21 tackles Woods ave 26 tackles , Burgess not renowned for his tackling so starting prop should be Lawrie based on defensive stats

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
In principle I agree. Middle forwards generally aren't in their prime as early as other players but I think it's more like mid twenties, rather than 30 or above.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

The FIVE underrated signings for 2022​

#3. Jaydn Su’A (St George Illawarra Dragons from South Sydney Rabbitohs)

St George Illawarra Dragons recruitment strategy for this season has been one which has been questioned, criticised and frankly, laughed at from every angle. The likes of Aaron Woods and George Burgess coming into the side given the speed of the game currently has seemed odd on the surface, but it's not all questions and head-scratchers at the Dragons.

Jaydn Su'A is a signature who has been pushed below the surface and completely forgotten about. A Queensland State of Origin representative, he seemed to fall out of favour for a minuscule period in the middle of the season under Wayne Bennett, but was back in the starting side when it mattered.

The 24-year-old played 71 minutes of the grand final, and wound up averaging almost 100 metres per game for the season, tackling at 93 per cent and making 16 offloads. He was a threat with the football, strong defensively and undoubtedly will gain a starting spot in the Dragons side for Round 1.

Eric

Staff

The FIVE underrated signings for 2022​

#3. Jaydn Su’A (St George Illawarra Dragons from South Sydney Rabbitohs)

St George Illawarra Dragons recruitment strategy for this season has been one which has been questioned, criticised and frankly, laughed at from every angle. The likes of Aaron Woods and George Burgess coming into the side given the speed of the game currently has seemed odd on the surface, but it's not all questions and head-scratchers at the Dragons.

Jaydn Su'A is a signature who has been pushed below the surface and completely forgotten about. A Queensland State of Origin representative, he seemed to fall out of favour for a minuscule period in the middle of the season under Wayne Bennett, but was back in the starting side when it mattered.

The 24-year-old played 71 minutes of the grand final, and wound up averaging almost 100 metres per game for the season, tackling at 93 per cent and making 16 offloads. He was a threat with the football, strong defensively and undoubtedly will gain a starting spot in the Dragons side for Round 1.
They are really giving it to us regarding Woods and Burgess. Personally, I don't see the issue at all.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
They are really giving it to us regarding Woods and Burgess. Personally, I don't see the issue at all.
Well Woods defensive stats are pretty poor and Burgess coming off a big medical procedure both big risks. However coach believes that they will shore up our pack and he is in the best position to know

Eric

Staff
Well Woods defensive stats are pretty poor and Burgess coming off a big medical procedure both big risks. However coach believes that they will shore up our pack and he is in the best position to know
Sure. There is a risk as there is for pretty much every recruit in every team. They are both only signed for 2 years, not on big money and I beleive both have clauses in their contracts which state if they aren't good enough to play X games in the NRL, their contracts can be terminated after only year. If they were both on big money and signed for 3 years, I could understand the media giving it to the club and coach Griffin. As is. I think it's uncalled for. But as you said, maybe it's a good thing. It might light a fire under both.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Sure. There is a risk as there is for pretty much every recruit in every team. They are both only signed for 2 years, not on big money and I beleive both have clauses in their contracts which state if they aren't good enough to play X games in the NRL, their contracts can be terminated after only year. If they were both on big money and signed for 3 years, I could understand the media giving it to the club and coach Griffin. As is. I think it's uncalled for. But as you said, maybe it's a good thing. It might light a fire under both.
Burgess is more of a risk that Woods. Woods, I don't think is "a risk" at all. We know what we are going to get from him. Long minutes unless he is hooked for poor defence or general laziness. He won't break many tackles but will keep chewing up the metres, have good post contact metres and not less than a few offloads.

As for Burgess, who knows.

Eric

Staff
Burgess is more of a risk that Woods. Woods, I don't think is "a risk" at all. We know what we are going to get from him. Long minutes unless he is hooked for poor defence or general laziness. He won't break many tackles but will keep chewing up the metres, have good post contact metres and not less than a few offloads.

As for Burgess, who knows.
That's a fair comment but even if he (Burgess) bombs out, apparently he is on minimal money so the risk really isn't that great.

Eric

Staff

‘We have to move on’: Bird shuts down BBQ-gate excuse, reveals St George Illawarra Dragons contract wish

Dragons star Jack Bird is not content to blame his side’s failed bid for finals footy last season on the infamous BBQ-gate and wants the team to lift their standards across the board in 2022.

The team gathering that saw mass suspensions certainly had an impact on their 2021 season, but Bird refuses to use it as an excuse and is excited by the new squad’s drive to succeed this year. “It was a hiccup along the way,” Bird said. “We started the season fairly strong. We won four out of our first five games.

“Everyone blames the BBQ, but we won four games from Round 6 and the BBQ happened around Round 12. “I’m not blaming the BBQ. I know a lot of people are. But that was something that we let ourselves down and we let the club and the fans down. “I’m not too happy about it, but what has happened has happened. We just have to move on. “The discipline this year has been good. All the boys have that one goal that we want to win a competition.

“We are all striving for that one goal and I believe we can do it. There is a lot of doubters but I’m sure we can prove them wrong. So we are bonding pretty well.”

The now 26-year-old made a successful transition from the centres to the back row over the course of last season and he revealed he has been alternating from lock to second row leading into 2022.

The mystery continues. Bird lock, JDB prop? Bird second row, Sims bench? Sims second row, Bird bench? I can only guess Griffin himself hasn't made the decision. I guess it's a good thing. Put a rocket up both of them for the trails and/or early rounds.

“Last year was a step in the right direction for the team and myself,” Bird said. “I haven’t played much football in the last three years so to get that out of the way gives me a heap of confidence for this year. “Position-wise I have been training at back row this year. At the start of the pre-season I was training in the middle at lock. I have recently moved out to the back row on the edge. “I haven’t trained anywhere in the backs, so I would say I will be playing in the back row or the middle somewhere.”

So he won't be in the centres. He was good there last year but I'm glad he is moving to the forwards. I feel he's gotten a little too big and not agile/fast enough to excel in the centres anymore.

Bird has welcomed the arrival of former Manly star Moses Suli and believes his combination with Zac Lomax in the centres will see him push into the back row permanently. “It doesn’t bother me too much where I play as long as I am playing footy,” Bird said.

I played a bit of back row in the 20s when I was younger and lock as well. “The transition hasn’t been too much of a hurdle for me. “I knew that I wasn’t going to be playing in the centres at the end of last year because we signed Moses Suli and we have Zac Lomax as well. “I knew that I was going to make the switch to the back row, so I had to get my head around that.

“It hasn’t been too much of a problem the transition and I have always said I will play where ever is best for the team and for us to win games so I am happy to do so.” Bird played 22 games in his first season at the Dragons, which is the most he has managed since he won a premiership with Cronulla back in 2016 and he hopes his wretched run with injuries is well in the past.

“Last year was the confidence booster that I needed,” Bird said. “The injuries are well behind me now. I haven’t really thought about injuries. It was just a string of bad luck for me. “I’m kind of over talking about my injuries because that is in the past now and I have had my fair share of them. “It has made me the person I am today and I have come out on top. To go through what I did it has been pretty tough, but the injuries are well behind me and I’m looking forward to another season injury free.”

The versatile star is also off-contract in 2022 and is hopeful of sorting a contract extension with the club before the season starts. “100 per cent I am keen to stay,” Bird said.

Glad he wants to stay. Let's see him earn a new contract.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

‘We have to move on’: Bird shuts down BBQ-gate excuse, reveals Dragons contract wish

Dragons star Jack Bird is not content to blame his side’s failed bid for finals footy last season on the infamous BBQ-gate and wants the team to lift their standards across the board in 2022.

The team gathering that saw mass suspensions certainly had an impact on their 2021 season, but Bird refuses to use it as an excuse and is excited by the new squad’s drive to succeed this year. “It was a hiccup along the way,” Bird said. “We started the season fairly strong. We won four out of our first five games.

“Everyone blames the BBQ, but we won four games from Round 6 and the BBQ happened around Round 12. “I’m not blaming the BBQ. I know a lot of people are. But that was something that we let ourselves down and we let the club and the fans down. “I’m not too happy about it, but what has happened has happened. We just have to move on. “The discipline this year has been good. All the boys have that one goal that we want to win a competition.

“We are all striving for that one goal and I believe we can do it. There is a lot of doubters but I’m sure we can prove them wrong. So we are bonding pretty well.”

The now 26-year-old made a successful transition from the centres to the back row over the course of last season and he revealed he has been alternating from lock to second row leading into 2022.

The mystery continues. Bird lock, JDB prop? Bird second row, Sims bench? Sims second row, Bird bench? I can only guess Griffin himself hasn't made the decision. I guess it's a good thing. Put a rocket up both of them for the trails and/or early rounds.

“Last year was a step in the right direction for the team and myself,” Bird said. “I haven’t played much football in the last three years so to get that out of the way gives me a heap of confidence for this year. “Position-wise I have been training at back row this year. At the start of the pre-season I was training in the middle at lock. I have recently moved out to the back row on the edge. “I haven’t trained anywhere in the backs, so I would say I will be playing in the back row or the middle somewhere.”

So he won't be in the centres. He was good there last year but I'm glad he is moving to the forwards. I feel he's gotten a little too big and not agile/fast enough to excel in the centres anymore.

Bird has welcomed the arrival of former Manly star Moses Suli and believes his combination with Zac Lomax in the centres will see him push into the back row permanently. “It doesn’t bother me too much where I play as long as I am playing footy,” Bird said.

I played a bit of back row in the 20s when I was younger and lock as well. “The transition hasn’t been too much of a hurdle for me. “I knew that I wasn’t going to be playing in the centres at the end of last year because we signed Moses Suli and we have Zac Lomax as well. “I knew that I was going to make the switch to the back row, so I had to get my head around that.

“It hasn’t been too much of a problem the transition and I have always said I will play where ever is best for the team and for us to win games so I am happy to do so.” Bird played 22 games in his first season at the Dragons, which is the most he has managed since he won a premiership with Cronulla back in 2016 and he hopes his wretched run with injuries is well in the past.

“Last year was the confidence booster that I needed,” Bird said. “The injuries are well behind me now. I haven’t really thought about injuries. It was just a string of bad luck for me. “I’m kind of over talking about my injuries because that is in the past now and I have had my fair share of them. “It has made me the person I am today and I have come out on top. To go through what I did it has been pretty tough, but the injuries are well behind me and I’m looking forward to another season injury free.”

The versatile star is also off-contract in 2022 and is hopeful of sorting a contract extension with the club before the season starts. “100 per cent I am keen to stay,” Bird said.

Glad he wants to stay. Let's see him earn a new contract.
Bird, Suli, Woods, Burgess, Sullivan, Amone, Sloan all been getting lots of attention in the media.