RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
If nothing changes from this year in regards to being able to purchase at least a prop and also a full off season tackling clinic, I'm sad to say I believe we will finish 12th next season. This season our left hand defence has given up 45% of the 80 tries scored against us. This ranks our left side defence 16th in the competition for this particular stat, yes that is right dead last. We have leaked 485 points which ranks us 12th and is only 6 points less than the Tigers who are running 15th. Hunt is ranked 1st for most missed tackles, Amone 5th. No team can afford to carry 2 weak links in the defensive line especially when they are on opposite sides of the ruck. In attack we have managed to score 57 tries which ranks us 12th, our highest try scorer is Feagai on 7 which ranks him 48th. You are kidding yourselves if you believe that this current crop of players will play semi final football, and it really hurts me to say this because I love my club.
You said you were done with Amone comments. Yes those are poor stats. None of us are denying that both our attack and defense suck. But hang on Amone and Hunt are not the only defenders on either side of the ruck. Amone defends in the middle too as does Benny but rarely. How long has Benny been playing top footy and he is still a weak defender. How long has Junior been playing top footy?

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
How many games have the said mentioned players, Feigai, Ford, Gosiewski, Hunt and Burns played 1st grade this season? Does anyone know? I do all of them 6 or less and the reason why? Perhaps just perhaps it has something to do with their contracts which in any nrl club triggers bonus contract payments once they are selected on X number of occasions, we had the same in my day when a reserve grade player played more than 9 1st grade games he would be entitled to a bonus contract payment on top of the win payment. You don't have to believe me as some of you have indicated and thats fine, look it up yourselves or ask elsewhere.
It isn't due to any clauses in their contracts unless the club is flagrantly violating NRL rules. If it were, the NRL would be doing as it did with Parramatta some years ago; forcing it to let go of some highly paid players in order to bring the club into salary cap compliance. Which means, 30 players available to play first grade at any time after round 10. Before round 10 when development players aren't available, the club can have a spot or two open in the top 30.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
McGuire and Moga won't be at the club next year. It's confirmed!
Never knew about Moga so if that's the case and he is no longer at our club why not remove him from 1sts? You are correct about McGuire so why continue to play either? Perhaps because of the reason I have stated? The reasoning that the coach has gone mad just isn't right. I'll stick to my guns here quite simply because many moons ago this very scenario happened to me.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
You said you were done with Amone comments. Yes those are poor stats. No of us are denying that both our attack and defense suck. But hang on Amone and Hunt are not the only defenders on either side of the ruck. Amone defends in the middle too as does Benny but rarely. How long has Benny been playing top footy and he is still a weak defender. How long has Junior been playing top footy?
Amone wouldn't be in my top 17.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
How many games have the said mentioned players, Feigai, Ford, Gosiewski, Hunt and Burns played 1st grade this season? Does anyone know? I do all of them 6 or less and the reason why? Perhaps just perhaps it has something to do with their contracts which in any nrl club triggers bonus contract payments once they are selected on X number of occasions, we had the same in my day when a reserve grade player played more than 9 1st grade games he would be entitled to a bonus contract payment on top of the win payment. You don't have to believe me as some of you have indicated and thats fine, look it up yourselves or ask elsewhere.
You just can't comprehend it, can you? What the coach is doing. You are desperately trying to find something that makes sense but at the end of the day, there is no excuse except for mental illness. You even pointed out the contradictions yourself. He doesn't pick your man because he won't be at the club next season but it's confirmed McGuire won't be at the club and Moga hasn't been re-signed. There is more chance of your man being at the club next year than McGuire!
There seems to be 4 lines of thought.
  1. His hands are tied. He has to select that team. (This is just plain wrong! Sorry JoDragon. Maybe salary cap issues are the reason the club didn't go after Lodge but he can select other players in the top 30.)
  2. He has gone crazy.
  3. He thinks with this team he can drag the other team down in a dour game and possibly get a narrow win. (This is what I believe.)
  4. He rates Bird as a centre, Mbye as a fullback, McGuire as a second rower and doesn't believe for a moment McCullough is no longer first grade standard.
So which is it sports fans? Am I missing anything?
Something else I just considered.
5. He is getting paid by anther club/clubs to screw up the Dragons as much as he can.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It isn't due to any clauses in their contracts unless the club is flagrantly violating NRL rules. If it were, the NRL would be doing as it did with Parramatta some years ago; forcing it to let go of some highly paid players in order to bring the club into salary cap compliance. Which means, 30 players available to play first grade at any time after round 10. Before round 10 when development players aren't available, the club can have a spot or two open in the top 30.
Do the sums and see what money is left over. This is the truth of bonus payments for contracted players. Remember last season, 2021, when we blooded so many young players it has affected our salary cap this season. The same this season for next season.
  • Bonuses (including match fee bonuses) – Payments for appearing in or winning a game are calculated based on the number of NRL games the player played in the prior year multiplied by any applicable bonuses. For win bonuses, the calculation is capped at 13 wins. Example: A player appeared in 10 NRL games in 2020 and now has a 2021 Contract for $100,000 contract fee plus $3,000 per game. His - Salary Cap Value would be $100,000 plus 10 times $3000 = $130,000.
  • Other bonuses – Any other bonus contained in a player's contract will be calculated in the Salary Cap if the NRL Salary Cap Auditor expects him to achieve the bonus based on his prior year's performance.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Do the sums and see what money is left over. This is the truth of bonus payments for contracted players. Remember last season, 2021, when we blooded so many young players it has affected our salary cap this season. The same this season for next season.
  • Bonuses (including match fee bonuses) – Payments for appearing in or winning a game are calculated based on the number of NRL games the player played in the prior year multiplied by any applicable bonuses. For win bonuses, the calculation is capped at 13 wins. Example: A player appeared in 10 NRL games in 2020 and now has a 2021 Contract for $100,000 contract fee plus $3,000 per game. His - Salary Cap Value would be $100,000 plus 10 times $3000 = $130,000.
  • Other bonuses – Any other bonus contained in a player's contract will be calculated in the Salary Cap if the NRL Salary Cap Auditor expects him to achieve the bonus based on his prior year's performance.
I can't believe you are still pushing on with this. He isn't picking this team due to salary cap trouble. The club must have 30 players available for selection in first grade at anytime. That is the fact. Last I'll say about it.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
You just can't comprehend it, can you? What the coach is doing. You are desperately trying to find something that makes sense but at the end of the day, there is no excuse except for mental illness. You even pointed out the contradictions yourself. He doesn't pick your man because he won't be at the club next season but it's confirmed McGuire won't be at the club and Moga hasn't been re-signed. There is more chance of your man being at the club next year than McGuire!

Something else I just considered.
5. He is getting paid by anther club/clubs to screw up the Dragons as much as he can.
I can comprehend it because it happened to me, albeit NSW Cup the same issues arose back in the 90s and nothing has changed. We can't play the fringe players, a club can ask the NRL for special dispensation if they have an injury crisis and cannot fulfil their responsibilities without breaching their salary cap.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
If nothing changes from this year in regards to being able to purchase at least a prop
Well due to poor management of our cap by the club we are unable to purchase that prop or any other player. We want, in fact we need, an enforcer, a big, strong, fearless unit with an offload. I figured we had him in big George Burgess but seems his best is long gone. He never had any ball skills to speak on anyway. While this and off loading lower tier player may appear to hurts us there is a silver lining. As whatever coach we have next year, they will have no choice but to put some of our best development juniors into the contracted top 30.Therefore fast tracking them into a Firsts Red V jumper.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I can comprehend it because it happened to me, albeit NSW Cup the same issues arose back in the 90s and nothing has changed. We can't play the fringe players, a club can ask the NRL for special dispensation if they have an injury crisis and cannot fulfil their responsibilities without breaching their salary cap.
No top 30 players are "fringe" players.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I can't believe you are still pushing on with this. He isn't picking this team due to salary cap trouble. The club must have 30 players available for selection in first grade at anytime. That is the fact. Last I'll say about it.
Because I believe that it is the real reason behind the selection process.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well due to poor management of our cap by the club we are unable to purchase that prop or any other player. We want, in fact we need, an enforcer, a big, strong, fearless unit with an offload. I figured we had him in big George Burgess but seems his best is long gone. He never had any ball skills to speak on anyway. While this and off loading lower tier player may appear to hurts us there is a silver lining, as whatever coach we have next year, they will have no choice but to put some of our best development juniors into the contracted top 30.Therefore fast tracking them into a Firsts Red V jumper.
Agree with the prop, but have you noticed the club hasn't signed anyone from outside the club for 2023? Wonder why?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Well due to poor management of our cap by the club we are unable to purchase that prop or any other player. We want, in fact we need, an enforcer, a big, strong, fearless unit with an offload. I figured we had him in big George Burgess but seems his best is long gone. He never had any ball skills to speak on anyway. While this and off loading lower tier player may appear to hurts us there is a silver lining, as whatever coach we have next year, they will have no choice but to put some of our best development juniors into the contracted top 30.Therefore fast tracking them into a Firsts Red V jumper.
Lodge would have been a great buy. Maybe we couldn't get him due to salary cap issues. I doubt that as well. How the hell do the Rorters have salary cap space but Dragons don't? I think Griffin wasn't confident of being able to control Lodge's "difficult" personality.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
No top 30 players are "fringe" players.
Seriously? 1 - 17 are your run on and reserves, 18 - 22 are the 5 players that you may use depending upon injuries and suspensions during the season, 23 - 30 are considered fringe players who are contracted but in reality would play reserves. Just my view but what would I know

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Lodge would have been a great buy. Maybe we couldn't get him due to salary cap issues. I doubt that as well. How the hell do the Rorters have salary cap space but Dragons don't? I think Griffin wasn't confident of being able to control Lodge's "difficult" personality.
You may be correct with that player

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
He rates Bird as a centre, Mbye as a fullback, McGuire as a second rower and doesn't believe for a moment McCullough is no longer first grade standard.
This will bring Griffin undone. Craig Young can no longer afford to back his coach's poor judgement, his bizarre logic and absurd favoritism.

I dont put Mybe in that category. Other than hooker he has made a good fist of those other positions he has played. He was one of our best from the back in last game. Plus he'd certainly be a better at centre than Bird.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Seriously? 1 - 17 are your run on and reserves, 18 - 22 are the 5 players that you may use depending upon injuries and suspensions during the season, 23 - 30 are considered fringe players who are contracted but in reality would play reserves. Just my view but what would I know
Ok. Call 23-30 "fringe" players if you like but they are still available for selection in first grade. BTW there is no "23-30" in the squad. There is only the squad.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Ok. Call 23-30 "fringe" players if you like but they are still available for selection in first grade. BTW there is no "23-30" in the squad. There is only the squad.
I dont disagree with you in regards to the 30 contracted players being available to play 1sts thats 100% right. What I honestly believe is that they wouldn't be selected to play 1sts on a regular basis hence if you look at 22 to 30 I'd be surprised if any have played more than 3 games this season for us. If I'm wrong I apologise