RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I dont disagree with you in regards to the 30 contracted players being available to play 1sts thats 100% right. What I honestly believe is that they wouldn't be selected to play 1sts on a regular basis hence if you look at 22 to 30 I'd be surprised if any have played more than 3 games this season for us. If I'm wrong I apologise
There is no official "23-30" in the squad. We all may have an opinion on who the 23rd to 30th best players are but as far as the salary cap goes, these players don't exist. There is only the top 30 and development players. Outside of them, the club has to apply for some kind of special salary cap dispensation.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
What you are not understanding about the salary cap is that it was reduced for this season due to covid. Those players we blooded last season, Amone, Sloan, Ramsey to name 3 may have been on let's just say $250k each for 2021/22/23 per season but because they played so many games in 21 the NRL increased their salaries based on the before mentioned post. So in reality their salaries although contracted as being $250k each was actually considered by the NRL as $280k for 22 season. Does this make sense? Then you add onto this the backended contracts for Hunt, JDB all of a sudden the club is in strife. It's not that they did it intentionally but we're caught out by the circumstances of the 21 season.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
What you are not understanding about the salary cap is that it was reduced for this season due to covid. Those players we blooded last season, Amone, Sloan, Ramsey to name 3 may have been on let's just say $250k each for 2021/22/23 per season but because they played so many games in 21 the NRL increased their salaries based on the before mentioned post. So in reality their salaries although contracted as being $250k each was actually considered by the NRL as $280k for 22 season. Does this make sense? Then you add onto this the backended contracts for Hunt, JDB all of a sudden the club is in strife. It's not that they did it intentionally but we're caught out by the circumstances of the 21 season.
Every player had his salary reduced by a % in order for there to be a squad of 30 and development players ready for selection in first grade.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
There is no official "23-30" in the squad. We all may have an opinion on who the 23rd to 30th best players are but as far as the salary cap goes, these players don't exist. There is only the top 30 and development players. Outside of them, the club has to apply for some kind of special salary cap dispensation.
Our opinions don't matter its the clubs opinion on where these players are considered in the pecking order and how much they are contracted for. My experience is that 22 to 30 would be on basic contracts plus bonuses. I believe that this issue will disappear after 23 season. I would expect that along with McGuire, Sims going the Dragons won't re sign Moga, Burns, Faamausili, Gosiewski, Reuben and don't be surprised if McCullough pulls the pin in 23 and Woods goes back to the Tigers. All this will make the club stronger after 23 and that is exactly why I have previously mentioned that we will have a competitive team in 25. Time will tell

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Why are you so insistent about this? You are a very knowledgeable coach. That much is certain. In this case you are wrong. The club has 30 players available for selection + development players after round 10 unless injured or suspended.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Our opinions don't matter its the clubs opinion on where these players are considered in the pecking order and how much they are contracted for. My experience is that 22 to 30 would be on basic contracts plus bonuses. I believe that this issue will disappear after 23 season. I would expect that along with McGuire, Sims going the Dragons won't re sign Moga, Burns, Faamausili, Gosiewski, Reuben and don't be surprised if McCullough pulls the pin in 23. All this will make the club stronger after 23 and that is exactly why I have previously mentioned that we will have a competitive team in 25. Time will tell
It matters where they are on the pecking order when it comes to being selected in first grade but not as far as the salary cap is concerned.
I am correct on this. No one can get it wrong all the time(y).

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
we will have a competitive team in 25.
We have to wait three more years before we are competitive. Will our club accept mediocrity before '25? I think not. Neither will us loyal fans. But if we are to pick up a top tier prop before then there needs to be some belt tightening. That could well mean cutting the salary of one or two of out most overpaid players. Starting with Ben Hunt. There will probably be an ensuing outcry, but surely desperate times call for desperate measures.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
We have to wait three more years before we are competitive. Will our club accept mediocrity before '25? I think not. Neither will us loyal fans. But if we are to pick up a top tier prop before then there needs to be some belt tightening. That could well mean cutting the salary of one or two of out most overpaid players. Starting with Ben Hunt. There will probably be an ensuing outcry, but surely desperate times call for desperate measures.
If Hunt stays, I think he'll be staying for far less. Like 40%+ less.

He may be playing well as an individual but not as a playmaker. He'd be signed on provision he's a utility first, hooker second and halfback third.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree 100% I said in another post $800 to 850k tops for 2 yrs so $1.6 - 1.7m that's a good reduction on what he is presently on, that's all he has left. In suggesting we won't be a competitive top 8 team until 2025 personally I would let him go if he still wants $1.1m a year. In saying that if we free up enough money with a clean out and McCullough also pull the plug perhaps we can purchase what we need with the money saved and make the top 8 in 24

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
If Hunt stays, I think he'll be staying for far less. Like 40%+ less.

He may be playing well as an individual but not as a playmaker. He'd be signed on provision he's a utility first, hooker second and halfback third.
Agree 100% I said in another post $800 to 850k tops for 2 yrs so $1.6 - 1.7m that's a good reduction on what he is presently on, that's all he has left. In suggesting we won't be a competitive top 8 team until 2025 personally I would let him go if he still wants $1.1m a year. In saying that if we free up enough money with a clean out and McCullough also pull the plug perhaps we can purchase what we need with the money saved and make the top 8 in 24
Personally I don't know what to do with Hunt. How good could he be if he was playing behind forwards who gave him a lot of time and room? Perhaps the best thing is to sign him for not more than 800K tops and tell him he'll be playing the same role he does for QLD.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I very much doubt any club will offer him close to 1.1mil a year. If Griffin alone were making the decision, the Dragons would sign him for around 1.5mil a year but he's not.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Personally I don't know what to do with Hunt. How good could he be if he was playing behind forwards who gave him a lot of time and room? Perhaps the best thing is to sign him for not more than 800K tops and tell him he'll be playing the same role he does for QLD.
Personally if he and Amone were playing behind a pack of forwards going forward it could be a different story. I watched the pre game interview with the Cowboys coach and when asked what the difference between his team from 21 and 22 he said 2 things, a lot of off season tackling practice and defensive line drills and secondly his playmakers have the LUXURY of playing behind a pack going forwards. RL basics haven't changed since 1908.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I very much doubt any club will offer him close to 1.1mil a year. If Griffin alone were making the decision, the Dragons would sign him for around 1.5mil a year but he's not.
Titans and Dolphins chasing him and Dolphins don't have a marquee player as of yet. Don't be surprised if Bennett chases him.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Personally if he and Amone were playing behind a pack of forwards going forward it could be a different story. I watched the pre game interview with the Cowboys coach and when asked what the difference between his team from 21 and 22 he said 2 things, a lot of off season tackling practice and defensive line drills and secondly his playmakers have the LUXURY of playing behind a pack going forwards. RL basics haven't changed since 1908.
God the Dragons need those 2 things. With those 2 things, I believe the halves and backs could make this a VERY competitive team.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
God the Dragons need those 2 things. With those 2 things, I believe the halves and backs could make this a VERY competitive team.
The only issue left would be to send them both to tackling school and realign the defensive line to have JDB standing next to Hunt and Su'a next to Amone or visa versa. If McCullough is going to retired at the end of this season which is a possibility then Muhleisen in as hooker and a new go forward prop and you have the makings of a competitive pack. Just need a bit more speed in our backline preferably on the wings.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The only issue left would be to send them both to tackling school and realign the defensive line to have JDB standing next to Hunt and Su'a next to Amone or visa versa. If McCullough is going to retired at the end of this season which is a possibility then Muhleisen in as hooker and a new go forward prop and you have the makings of a competitive pack. Just need a bit more speed in our backline preferably on the wings.
Agree about the wingers but Sloan or Ramsey would provide a lot of speed to the backline. I think Amone is pretty quick. But definately need one more speedy back.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree about the wingers but Sloan or Ramsey would provide a lot of speed to the backline. I think Amone is pretty quick. But definately need one more speedy back.
Ideally one or the other but under this coach Ramsay appears to be the preferred fullback, Rav will keep his spot so what do you do with the Feagai's and Sloan?