Did anyone else know this?
2022 Salaries:
Hunt - $1.12m
Mbye - $900k we pay $450k
JDB - $750k
Lomax - $700k
Su'a- $600k
Sims $550k

So 6 players take up $3.05m of this year's salary cap, leaves just over $6m and with that we have to pay 11 more players who make up our top 17. Then pay those other 13 that make up our contracted 30. I have said consistently that team selection has been dictated by our inability to pay all those other contracted players a bonus that each of their contracts have written into them if they make X number of appearances in 1sts. Ye of little faith.

Other confirmed salaries are:
Bird - $550k
McGuire- $500k also going 2023
Molo - $500k

I for one was not aware that Mbye was our 2nd highest paid player, really?, a utility player on that money and in my view not worth that money.

I believe that this confirms what I have been saying, that we are and have been stymied by our salary cap in making team selections. The only two we have managed to offload are our cheapest, Sims and Mcguire.

2023 will mark year 5 that we have failed to make the top 8 because we simply cannot afford the prop we so badly need. It's so very sad.

Bring on 2025.
Griffin signed McGuire, who was playing reserve grade for NQ who were near the bottom of the table at the time, for 500k? No way! Craig Young simply wouldn't have allowed that. NQ are probably paying over 50% of his salary.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Reckon Junior will have put himself on the radar of Tongan World Cup selectors after that 5 star showing.

Hasn't he been given two one year extensions over past two weeks. Or is this the same announcement made a fortnite back.
I reckon behind a strong forward pack, like the Rorters forwards even after they lost a couple of first choice forwards for the season (try and figure that out), Amone could be very good. Maybe not a Munster-like superstar but the next tier down. Similar to Luai from Penrith.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Read about Dragons salary cap problems:
  • Mbye is in the top 50 highest paid players. That is obviously just ridiculous. If Dragons are paying half of his 900k salary, it's an extremely bad investment. At very best, he's an interchange utility player.
  • Suli and Su'a. I know they have been pretty good but neither can get a look in into Origin which you would hope is the case for players in the top 50 highest paid.
  • JDB and Lomax are well publicised. Lomax has had a bad year but his form last year before injury justified his salary and JDB is worth every cent.
  • Sims is also another well known case.
  • Bird is included but I think when his new contract starts from November, he won't be.
  • McGuire is also on the list but Cowboys are subsidizing his salary. Like Mbye, no indication of how much they are paying.
So I guess it confirms the tight salary cap situation this year but with Sims and McGuire gone and Bird on much less, I can't but think there is room for a couple of props for next year. If any are on the market.

And the year after that, Mbye will be gone as well, won't he? Griffin will probably re-sign him on big money but surely that idiot will be long gone by then.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
  • Mbye is in the top 50 highest paid players. That is obviously just ridiculous. If Dragons are paying half of his 900k salary, it's an extremely bad investment. At very best, he's an interchange utility player.
  • Suli and Su'a. I know they have been pretty good but neither can get a look in into Origin which you would hope is the case for players in the top 50 highest paid.
  • JDB and Lomax are well publicised. Lomax has had a bad year but his form last year before injury justified his salary and JDB is worth every cent.
  • Bird is included but I think when his new contract starts from November, he won't be.
  • McGuire is also on the list but Cowboys are subsidizing his salary. Like Mbye, no indication of how much they are paying.
So I guess it confirms the tight salary cap situation this year but with Sims and McGuire gone and Bird on much less, I can't but think there is room for a couple of props for next year. If any are on the market.

And the year after that, Mbye will be gone as well, won't he? Griffin will probably re-sign him on big money but surely that idiot will be long gone by then.
Apart from Sims, all signed or extended by Hook. So he has no excuse.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Did you watch nrl 360? Anasta, Ennis and Alexander were talking about the downfalls of our young rising stars Sloan, Sullivan from the start of 22 after bursting onto the scene in 21 and questioningwhy you would play Mbye at 1 instead of Sloan . Also talking about whether to chase after a 32 yr old playmaker until 25. Also how hook placed his faith in the old brigade but it's failed. Was interesting listening

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Did you watch nrl 360? Anasta, Ennis and Alexander were talking about the downfalls of our young rising stars Sloan, Sullivan from the start of 22 after bursting onto the scene in 21 and questioningwhy you would play Mbye at 1 instead of Sloan . Also talking about whether to chase after a 32 yr old playmaker until 25. Also how hook placed his faith in the old brigade but it's failed. Was interesting listening
I didn't but sounds like what we have been saying for months.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Everyone is turning on him now. He's seriously lost it.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Why pick Mbye over Sloan at fullback is very obvious; Mbye was one of Hook's big money recruits. Even with Tigers paying half his salary, I bet 450k is more than double what several of the best young players at Penrith, NQ among others are on. Hook feels to have Mbye on the bench getting limited minutes or in the NSW Cup is an admission of how bad his recruitment has been.

During the off season, I don't know one person who was happy about his signing. Most people scratched their heads and said something like, "why is that (he was signed)?"

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Why pick Mbye over Sloan at fullback is very obvious; Mbye was one of Hook's big money recruits. Even with Tigers paying half his salary, I bet 450k is more than double what several of the best young players at Penrith, NQ among others are on. Hook feels to have Mbye on the bench getting limited minutes or in the NSW Cup is an admission of how bad his recruitment has been.

During the off season, I don't know one person who was happy about his signing. Most people scratched their heads and said something like, "why is that (he was signed)?"
Agree

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
This news may hit jodragon40 for a six.

Talatau Amone named in 2022 NRL Young Gun Team of the Year!

Very well done Junior. This accolade will lift the kids confidence to the sky. With this comes added responsibility and the need for a fierce determination to build his skill set to rep level to eventually play for Australia. He has already turned out for Tonga, the nation of his forefathers.

nrl22-yg-team_of_the_year-4x5_copy.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Very well done Junior. This accolade will lift the kids confidence to the sky. With this comes added responsibility and a fierce determination to build his skillset to rep level to eventually play for Australia. He has already turned out for Tonga, the nation of his forefathers.

I wish it weren't the case but his form this year didn't justify being selected alongside most of them.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I wish it weren't the case but his form this year didn't justify being selected alongside most of them.
I have to be honest, a surprise to me too. The last half of the season he was a different player once given a license to take on the line. If he can develop his skills to include organization and improve his one on one defense he will be dynamite for us going forward.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The last half it was. A slow starter. But once he was given a license to roam he was a different player. If he can develop his skills to include organisation he will be dynamite for us.
Slow starter is one way to say. Barely NSW Cup standard is probably more accurate. But I blame the coach, not Amone. I believe the coach was telling him to play that way, not his natural game.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Very well done Junior. This accolade will lift the kids confidence to the sky. With this comes added responsibility and a fierce determination to build his skillset to rep level to eventually play for Australia. He has already turned out for Tonga, the nation of his forefathers.

Gee whiz selectors must have had no other choice. Was there another choice?

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
His old man has been trying to outdo Payne Hass' olds. Let's hope it results in a little more mongrel for Junior on the field next year.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
His old man has been trying to outdo Payne Hass' olds. Let's hope it results in a little more mongrel for Junior on the field next year.
A little more mongrel is good but I hope he avoids attacking the other team with hammers.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

TALATAU AMONE (Dragons)

Talatau Amone was solid in his first full year as the Dragons’ No.6 scoring six tries in 24 games last season, but the Dragons still missed the top eight for the second straight year under Anthony Griffin.

Still just 20 years of age, Amone has the potential to be the Dragons’ long-term five-eighth, but the club desperately needs him to fulfil it earlier than expected. Amone has scored nine tries in 35 NRL games to date and is signed until the end of 2024, so he needs a big season to convince the club he is the answer at No.6.

Amone needs to step up and help take pressure off Ben Hunt because the halfback and skipper can’t do all the playmaking duties on his own, as he did at times last season.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons respond to training scuffle​

Two young guns were involved in a heated confrontation.​

The St George Illawarra Dragons have responded to an incident at a training camp on the New South Wales south coast this week. Footage on social media showed star duo centre Zac Lomax and five-eighth Talatau Amone involved in a confrontation during thecamp at Mollymook. The playing group had to then separate the duo, with reports suggesting Lomax taking exception to a big hit was the reason behind the scuffle.

However, speaking to The Sydney Morning Herald, club CEO Ryan Webb revealed he was in attendance at the session and that the passion was "what you want to see", while also confirming the remainder of the session passed without incident. “I was there, I watched the session, and I'd put it down to nothing more than the boys showing some competitive fire, which is what you want to see from the boys, if I'm being honest,” Webb told the publication.

Nothing in this but I think Zac might be a good person to get under Junior's skin and fire him up! Needs to be much more aggressive in the way he goes about the game!

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons respond to training scuffle.​

Two young guns were involved in a heated confrontation.​

The St George Illawarra Dragons have responded to an incident at a training camp on the New South Wales south coast this week. Footage on social media showed star duo centre Zac Lomax and five-eighth Talatau Amone involved in a confrontation during thecamp at Mollymook. The playing group had to then separate the duo, with reports suggesting Lomax taking exception to a big hit was the reason behind the scuffle.

However, speaking to The Sydney Morning Herald, club CEO Ryan Webb revealed he was in attendance at the session and that the passion was "what you want to see", while also confirming the remainder of the session passed without incident. “I was there, I watched the session, and I'd put it down to nothing more than the boys showing some competitive fire, which is what you want to see from the boys, if I'm being honest,” Webb told the publication.

Nothing in this but I think Zac might be a good person to get under Junior's skin and fire him up! Needs to be much more aggressive in the way he goes about the game!
Needs to be more aggressive with his defence for sure!