B Hunt

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
i thought Volkman was a perfect 7, young, cheap and could be a longterm first grader (looked good pre injury), but Justa said hes not coming here.. which has to mean the relationship between him and us didnt end wonderfully after the shoulder incident..

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
i thought Volkman was a perfect 7, young, cheap and could be a longterm first grader (looked good pre injury), but Justa said hes not coming here.. which has to mean the relationship between him and us didnt end wonderfully after the shoulder incident..
Ok cheers that is sad to hear

Eric

Staff
It's a difficult situation. To really access the situation the question that needs to be asked and answered is, " Has the cpt lost the dressing room "? In my day the coach would give his half time spiel then I'd leave the sheds . I had an expectation that the cpt would then address the team and out they would run. To my eye he doesn't have the full support of the team. The way he has conducted himself on the field when under pressure especially in the last 2 games I feel supports my assertion. So in saying that I don't believe that we can build a competitive top 8 team around our current 6/7 what is next? Well , I haven't seen enough of our reserves half back or juniors to comment on their ability to take over Hunts role. Therefore you have to look at an experienced play maker who is available next season. So Jake Clifford, Jackson Hastings, Drew Hutchinson, Sean O'Grady, Brad Schneider, Aiden Sezer. Coaching, it's a tough gig.
They are saying Flanno giving Hunt a public baking is a clear sign Flanno wants him out. From your experience is that true?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
They are saying Flanno giving Hunt a public baking is a clear sign Flanno wants him out. From your experience is that true?
No, those types of conversations are held behind closed doors and with other people present, such as the club committee members. I wouldn't read too much into that photo, it's a coach getting his point of view across to his cpt in the heat of the battle, nothing more. Just my view

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg

HUNT FOR NEW CLUB?

St George Illawarra’s finals hopes are all but gone. Is Ben Hunt’s future at the club now under the same duress?

Cameras captured the moment Shane Flanagan unleashed a tirade at the skipper after the Dragons’ shocking 44-40 loss to Parramatta with a finals berth on the line.

Flanagan was seen dressing down a despondent Hunt in the sheds at full-time in scenes that will only add uncertainty about Hunt’s future at the Red V.

Hunt was very vocal in agitating for a release from his deal to move to Queensland before Flanagan arrived at the Dragons.

The seasoned coach managed to smooth things over and the club even began talks to extend Hunt beyond 2025.

But Hunt, who has one year left on his deal, has made no secret of wanting out and the fiery dressing room bake could be a tipping point in the delicate relationship the 34-year old has with the club.
For F**KS sake I hope he has a meltdown after Flanno had a go at him that he is a little twot and decides to go .......

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I was just reading about the Roosters Sam Walker doing his ACL. What I realised was that if Ashton Ward spends a lot of time in the gym during the off season, he would be comfortably bigger than Walker was when he became the Roosters halfback.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Well if he's on our books for 25 it's really tough especially if you remove the c from next to his name. Do you know what happened to young Volkman? He was being trumpeted as our next play maker before his injury.
He is looking for a club to sign him .......

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I don't think we are one of the clubs looking at him ....... Don't know why we originally signed him .......
I remember Ian Millward saying back in 2017 that signing Hunt for 5 yrs from 2018 was, "A crucial step forward for the red v". Unfortunately we just couldn't build a decent team around him due to our poor culture and discipline plus it appeared nobody wanted to play under him.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
I remember Ian Millward saying back in 2017 that signing Hunt for 5 yrs from 2018 was, "A crucial step forward for the red v". Unfortunately we just couldn't build a decent team around him due to our poor culture and discipline plus it appeared nobody wanted to play under him.

Yes but Ben needs to do his part to sell the club & be somewhat involved in recruitment. He's not getting $1mil+ just to play footy. How often have you heard of Hunt attending other lower grade dragons games? None. That's leadership & building culture, other players do it. A small example but an example none the less. You've never heard of any player saying it would be nice to play with Ben Hunt.

I think having Cook & Holmes will help, as he has other senior rep/former rep quality players around him, closer to his age bracket & shared experiences. It will allow him to step away from leadership & being in the spotlight which is not natural to him.

Last year for Hunt imo. Captaincy should be transitioned to Su'a or someone else. Either way we need to find a halfback asap.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yes but Ben needs to do his part to sell the club & be somewhat involved in recruitment. He's not getting $1mil+ just to play footy. How often have you heard of Hunt attending other lower grade dragons games? None. That's leadership & building culture, other players do it. A small example but an example none the less. You've never heard of any player saying it would be nice to play with Ben Hunt.

I think having Cook & Holmes will help, as he has other senior rep/former rep quality players around him, closer to his age bracket & shared experiences. It will allow him to step away from leadership & being in the spotlight which is not natural to him.

Last year for Hunt imo. Captaincy should be transitioned to Su'a or someone else. Either way we need to find a halfback asap.
Good call for captaincy. One more thing has gone unnoticed from that game. Lomax had a bad game. No mistakes or bad missed tackles I can remember but didn't trouble Parra at all with ball in hand.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

I wasn't defending him. To my old coaches eyes things are not right with him and some in the playing group and has been for sometime now. His actions on the field and the way he speaks to players on the field is of a poor standard If I was coaching I would have taken the captaincy off him prior to kick off this year but that's easy to say in hindsight. That rarely happens in any lower grade let alone 1sts. It is time to move on.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
I wasn't defending him. To my old coaches eyes things are not right with him and some in the playing group and has been for sometime now. His actions on the field and the way he speaks to players on the field is of a poor standard If I was coaching I would have taken the captaincy off him prior to kick off this year but that's easy to say in hindsight. That rarely happens in any lower grade let alone 1sts. It is time to move on.

To be honest, he's going through the motions & it's just a 'job' to him that pays the bills. There's no love for the Red V. I expect my captain to love the club & be passionate about the club. I might be wrong but that's what I think about him...

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
o I dont think we have had a natural captain candidate for um since maybe Hornby? Guys like Creagh, Widdop, Hunt.. its just cause someone has to do it.. there should be a couple of good candidates in any good NRL side.. thats how starved of leadership we've been.. but I love that we got Cook & Holmes now, maybe RCG.. I mean even if they dont get a (c) next to their names.. its more leadership in and around the playing group.

o As for Lomax, I think 2024 was his big year.. he was angry and playing for a contract.. I think its as good as he gets.. he will catch plenty of Moses bombs and he will be consistent.. but imo he doesnt have the acceleration for the outside backs, or failing that... the size to run over people.. I think he needs to be playing @ 120% energy to be the player he was earlier this year.. and I dont think thats sustainable... he wont let parra down, but I dont think he will hold that rep wing position for too much longer.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
o I dont think we have had a natural captain candidate for um since maybe Hornby? Guys like Creagh, Widdop, Hunt.. its just cause someone has to do it.. there should be a couple of good candidates in any good NRL side.. thats how starved of leadership we've been.. but I love that we got Cook & Holmes now, maybe RCG.. I mean even if they dont get a (c) next to their names.. its more leadership in and around the playing group.

o As for Lomax, I think 2024 was his big year.. he was angry and playing for a contract.. I think its as good as he gets.. he will catch plenty of Moses bombs and he will be consistent.. but imo he doesnt have the acceleration for the outside backs, or failing that... the size to run over people.. I think he needs to be playing @ 120% energy to be the player he was earlier this year.. and I dont think thats sustainable... he wont let parra down, but I dont think he will hold that rep wing position for too much longer.
Completely agree on both points.

Eric

Staff

Lomax has many of the attributes of a good 5/8 IMO.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Said the same before ...... I believe he would go ok .......
I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but shortly after Kyle was recruited and Flanno said he would play 5/8, Zac put his hand up publicly to play 5/8. Shortly after that was when news about issues he was having with Flanno started coming out.