B Hunt

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
If Hunt really wants out, Dragons should try to get Rorters backup halfback Sandon Smith on a 2 year deal. Plenty of time to get Ward or Reed ready to take over. Sean O'Sullivan from the Dolphins is another option. I don't really rate him but he's not too bad as a short term option. Especially if LKT is going to kick on and become a good 5/8 who can break tackles and get lots of try assists. Adrian Lam from ESL is another.

Having said that, Hunt will probably hang around for next year. It's not the worst result. Knowing he is on thin ice and no longer able to tell the club what's what in regard to staying or leaving, because no one else wants him, he might be better next year on and off the field. That will give Ward or Reed time to get ready for 2026 and also provide an experienced half to help LKT.

There is also Junior Amone. He's not going to be suspended forever. Though I think under Griffin his game got steadily worse. Club might not be keen on re-signing him.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
o Zac cant pass a football at pace, or keep a cool-head when his emotions start going.. he wont end up in the halves.

o Someone like Sandon Smith could be interesting.. though the Walker injury changes the dynamics there. But we are only dislodging players if they are first choice @ first grade here.... they wont be coming here to be the injury cover. I think Flanno will want an experienced 7 however, not many sides can get away with a young 7.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
o Zac cant pass a football at pace, or keep a cool-head when his emotions start going.. he wont end up in the halves.

o Someone like Sandon Smith could be interesting.. though the Walker injury changes the dynamics there. But we are only dislodging players if they are first choice @ first grade here.... they wont be coming here to be the injury cover. I think Flanno will want an experienced 7 however, not many sides can get away with a young 7.
What makes you say Zac can't run and pass? I think he can. As for running and putting players into gaps, that might be a problem.

Adrian Lam or Sean O'Sullivan might be a decent 2 year option.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
What makes you say Zac can't run and pass? I think he can. As for running and putting players into gaps, that might be a problem.
So many opportunities over the years for a conventional pass, and he ends up trying a no look risky flick, I hadnt rly noticed whether it was only when he was running.. but some others think when it goes wrong for him.. Plus the moments he chooses to use the flick.. to be in the halves you need to have a sense of timing.. and the vision and ability to make your teammates look good.. not just yourself.

imo Zac is someone who needs a very very simple gameplan.. to utilise his 1on1 strength, fitness and aerial ability.. thats why wing has worked for him, 'less' responsibility.. run hard.. tackle hard.. dont think.. just do.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Adrian Lam or Sean O'Sullivan might be a decent 2 year option.
Lachie or Sean, yeah there are options if Flanno is legit looking, were all assuming currently.. we dont know whats really going on.. and I dont think anything is happening until after next week when the season is finally done.

If we were to replace Hunt though (a big if), we would need 2 halves.. Hunt has been bulletproof with injuries.. I know hes injured now but he hasnt missed a game in forever.. most other halves are regularly injured.. so we need 2.. there is even talk of a Reynolds swap atm, which as crazy it sounds, I think we would take any deal like that which could help us get Hunt out of the club with a half-workable replacement.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
So many opportunities over the years for a conventional pass, and he ends up trying a no look risky flick, I hadnt rly noticed whether it was only when he was running.. but some others think when it goes wrong for him.. Plus the moments he chooses to use the flick.. to be in the halves you need to have a sense of timing.. and the vision and ability to make your teammates look good.. not just yourself.

imo Zac is someone who needs a very very simple gameplan.. to utilise his 1on1 strength, fitness and aerial ability.. thats why wing has worked for him, 'less' responsibility.. run hard.. tackle hard.. dont think.. just do.
That's true. He might end up as a lock or second rower. I guess it doesn't matter as it won't be for the Dragons.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Lachie or Sean, yeah there are options if Flanno is legit looking, were all assuming currently.. we dont know whats really going on.. and I dont think anything is happening until after next week when the season is finally done.

If we were to replace Hunt though (a big if), we would need 2 halves.. Hunt has been bulletproof with injuries.. I know hes injured now but he hasnt missed a game in forever.. most other halves are regularly injured.. so we need 2.. there is even talk of a Reynolds swap atm, which as crazy it sounds, I think we would take any deal like that which could help us get Hunt out of the club with a half-workable replacement.
Sounds like Flanno doesn't believe there is any issue and Hunt will see out his contract.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sounds like Flanno doesn't believe there is any issue and Hunt will see out his contract.
Justa talked about it ages back, Flanno knows the pros and cons of Hunt, he made a call that he needed his experience during this rebuild + to allow him to attract others, it was worth the negatives at the time.

How he feels right 12 months on... we dont know.. im sure hes rly dissapointed with Hunts back end form (post origin), and im sure he will consider his options once we get through this raiders game.. but unfortunately as much as we want it to be like supercoach and he slots someone out and someone in.. coming up with an immediate trade on a high-value player would not be easy, you need both sides of the trade agreeing also, and everyone else is basically locked up until atleast 2026. One thing I am confident on though... is that Hunt wont be extended into 2026.. its just 2025 we have to consider.

Eric

Staff
Justa talked about it ages back, Flanno knows the pros and cons of Hunt, he made a call that he needed his experience during this rebuild + to allow him to attract others, it was worth the negatives at the time.

How he feels right 12 months on... we dont know.. im sure hes rly dissapointed with Hunts back end form (post origin), and im sure he will consider his options once we get through this raiders game.. but unfortunately as much as we want it to be like supercoach and he slots someone out and someone in.. coming up with an immediate trade on a high-value player would not be easy, you need both sides of the trade agreeing also, and everyone else is basically locked up until atleast 2026. One thing I am confident on though... is that Hunt wont be extended into 2026.. its just 2025 we have to consider.
I think Hunt is going to see out his contract. I was in favour of letting him go at the end of his last contract but now he's signed, club can make the best out of it. Gives it 1.5 years to find a replacement for 2026 onward.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Fox sport reporting that Hunt is next to no chance of getting an extension beyond next year. Not so much because of his age because Hunt is apparently a meticulous trainer. He still has a coupe of good years in him but Flanno or someone else isn't happy with his form. If Hunt starts next year on fire there is a chance for a extension but even that is unlikely.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
I'll just say this about Hunt & to an extent the coaches. They told us Kyle was playing in the halves to alleviate responsibilities from Hunt which includes kicking & game management which lasted about 3 games. We reverted to the Ben Hunt or nothing attack for pretty much majority of the season. The 2 non Hunt games resulted in wins, albeit against origin impacted opposition but we were also missing Hunt/Lomax/Su'a.

Yes, he's a great player but it hasn't resulted in team success. Hunt and the coaches intentionally or unintentionally went away from what they told the fans in-regards to having a less Hunt dominated attack. This was to the detriment of the team in my opinion. I also thought our attack & performances were better when Hunt had less touches which led to a varied attack. This was through the influence of Leilua & Su'a as attacking anchors on either side & Liddle as a dummy half running threat. We also saw the impact of Sloan speed when those 3 players had more influence on our attack.

For mine, Ben Hunt has been a great benefactor of the Dragons but the Dragons have not been a great benefactor of his play.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I'll just say this about Hunt & to an extent the coaches. They told us Kyle was playing in the halves to alleviate responsibilities from Hunt which includes kicking & game management which lasted about 3 games. We reverted to the Ben Hunt or nothing attack for pretty much majority of the season. The 2 non Hunt games resulted in wins, albeit against origin impacted opposition but we were also missing Hunt/Lomax/Su'a.

Yes, he's a great player but it hasn't resulted in team success. Hunt and the coaches intentionally or unintentionally went away from what they told the fans in-regards to having a less Hunt dominated attack. This was to the detriment of the team in my opinion. I also thought our attack & performances were better when Hunt had less touches which led to a varied attack. This was through the influence of Leilua & Su'a as attacking anchors on either side & Liddle as a dummy half running threat. We also saw the impact of Sloan speed when those 3 players had more influence on our attack.

For mine, Ben Hunt has been a great benefactor of the Dragons but the Dragons have not been a great benefactor of his play.
I agree to a large extent but to be balanced, we should also remember all those slashing runs, brilliant kicks, seemless playing-making from Kyle?

Wait a minute.

Last edited:

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Of course it is. He can just come out and make a statement saying it's BS, he's happy at the Dragons and is keen to start next year well and earn an extension. But he doesn't. Wouldn't surprise me if he is the one anonymously putting it out there.
This ........