CRICKET: The BAGGY GREENS Thread.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The veteran batsman, Finch, Smith and Maxwell are responsible for this. In T20, when there is a deep battling lineup like Australia have, they have 2 or 3 balls to get used to conditions in the middle before going for shots, not 2 or 3 overs.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Our man Cameron Green gave us the best possible start blitzing the Indian attack. But it was our bowlers that were unable to avoid a series defeat.

Tim David, Nathan Ellis, Josh Inglis, Josh Philippe are the future in this format. All four must play in the October World Cup.
I didn't stay up for the Indian batting innings but the start Green got the team off to was ruined by Maxwell and Smith who had no urgency to score at a fast rate. I don't think the bowlers are to blame. The commentators were saying during the Australian batting that it's a 200 run wicket.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
You and others say same thing about Smithy. But my friend Morgan this man has won us more white ball games than lost. Even in 20 over cricket you need a stonewall and Smith has been just that his entire career.
Define "stonewall". In T20 he can't bat like he did last night. It's going to lose games as it did last night.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I didn't stay up for the Indian batting innings but the start Green got the team off to was ruined by Maxwell and Smith who had no urgency to score at a fast rate. I don't think the bowlers are to blame. The commentators were saying during the Australian batting that it's a 200 run wicket.
Steve Smith scored 9 runs from 10 balls. Not exactly slow. It was the failure of Arron Finch and others namely the perennial under achiever Maxwell, and Wade. Thankfully Tim David came to the rescue.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Someone that is put into the situation of having to steady the innings when early wickets fall. Like I said even in a 20 over game you need one in your team. And Steve Smith is ours. You also have to get your eye in before you go big, thus the nudging of singles.
Last night when he came in, the innings could hardly have been more steady. When he left, Australia were significantly behind what the commentators were predicting they would need.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Someone that is put into the situation of having to steady the innings when early wickets fall. Like I said even in a 20 over game you need one in your team. And Steve Smith is ours. You also have to get your eye in before you go big, thus the nudging of singles.
And actually, the thing that got me fired up wasn't the speed Smith and Maxwell were scoring at but the way they were going about it. Plenty of wickets in hand on a pitch the commentators were saying is a batters dream, and the two of them were just blocking or moving the ball around looking for singles for almost 4 overs. So for almost 20% of the innings.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
This was asked for. You prefer this in a separate domestic thread.

NSW BLUES contract List 2022/23.
Sean Abbott, Trent Copeland, Pat Cummins*, Oliver Davies, Ben Dwarshuis, Jack Edwards, Mickey Edwards, Matthew Gilkes, Ryan Hackney, Ryan Hadley, Liam Hatcher, Josh Hazlewood*, Lachlan Hearne, Moises Henriques, Baxter Holt, Daniel Hughes, Hayden Kerr, Nathan Lyon*, Kurtis Patterson (c), Daniel Sams, Jason Sangha, Tanveer Sangha, Steve Smith*, Mitchell Starc*, Chris Tremain, David Warner*, Adam Zampa*. Rookies: Liam Doddrell, Blake Nikitaras, Jack Nisbet, Lachlan Shaw, Will Salzmann, Hunar Verma.

Those underlined are under 25 and have a big future in the game in my humble view.

Probable Blues Shield (4 day) X12: Hughes, Hackney, Jason Sangha (vc), Patterson (c), Henriques, Hearne, Holt, Tremain, Hadley, Copeland, Tanveer Sangha. Kerr (12th man)

Probable Blues ODD (1 day) X1: Gilkes, J Edwards, J Sangha, Davies, Henriques, Holt (w/k), Kerr/ Sams, Abbott, Tremain, Dwarshuis/M Edwards, T Sangha.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I've heard that name, 'Henriques' a few times but don't know much about him.
One of the real enigmas of Australian cricket is Moie. Was a child prodigy, played underage rep cricket at 16, captained national side at 17, scored 100 in his first club match and took 18 wickets also in a grade (club) game. But like some other prodigies, he never made the step up to senior level. Has played three Test matches I think and a handful of ODIs.. in a 20 year career. He is the epitome of a sportsman that was a long, long way from achieving his full potential..

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
This was asked for. You prefer this in a separate domestic thread.

NSW BLUES contract List 2022/23.
Sean Abbott, Trent Copeland, Pat Cummins*, Oliver Davies, Ben Dwarshuis, Jack Edwards, Mickey Edwards, Matthew Gilkes, Ryan Hackney, Ryan Hadley, Liam Hatcher, Josh Hazlewood*, Lachlan Hearne, Moises Henriques, Baxter Holt, Daniel Hughes, Hayden Kerr, Nathan Lyon*, Kurtis Patterson (c), Daniel Sams, Jason Sangha, Tanveer Sangha, Steve Smith*, Mitchell Starc*, Chris Tremain, David Warner*, Adam Zampa*. Rookies: Liam Doddrell, Blake Nikitaras, Jack Nisbet, Lachlan Shaw, Will Salzmann, Hunar Verma.

Those underlined are under 25 and have a big future in the game in my humble view.

Probable Blues Shield (4 day) X12: Hughes, Hackney, Jason Sangha (vc), Patterson (c), Henriques, Hearne, Holt, Tremain, Hadley, Copeland, Tanveer Sangha. Kerr (12th man)

Probable Blues ODD (1 day) X1: Gilkes, J Edwards, J Sangha, Davies, Henriques, Holt (w/k), Kerr/ Sams, Abbott, Tremain, Dwarshuis/M Edwards, T Sangha.
Was Warner dropped from the T20 team in India?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I dont think we will go into the Cup with the strongest team to be brutally honest. Will tell you why. The team was picked two months ago so the ICC PR people could market the so called superstars Glenn Maxwell, Mitch Marsh and Marcus Stoinis. These three get all the accolades but dont always live up to the hype. All too often they fail to deliver, specially in major events such as world cups. So younger, more exciting, consistent players such as Cameron Green, Josh Inglis and Nathan Ellis have to cool their heels on the sidelines.

(have moved this post to the new WC thread.)

Last edited: