CRICKET: The BAGGY GREENS Thread.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I dont think we will go into the Cup with the strongest team to be brutally honest. Will tell you why. The team was picked two months ago so the ICC PR people could market the so called superstars Glenn Maxwell, Mitch Marsh and Marcus Stoinis. These three get all the accolades but dont always live up to the hype. All too often they fail to deliver, specially in major events such as world cups. So younger, more exciting, consistent players such as Cameron Green, Josh Inglis and Nathan Ellis have to cool their heels on the sidelines.
Sounds like NSW Origin team selection. It's all about money and politics.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Probable Blues ODD (1 day) X1: Gilkes, J Edwards, J Sangha, Davies, Henriques, Holt (w/k), Kerr/ Sams, Abbott, Tremain, Dwarshuis/M Edwards, T Sangha.
Blues mercilessly mauled for 76 yesterday by WA quicks Jhye Richardson and Jason Behrendorff. Not playing were Chris Tremain, Oliver Davies, Baxter Holt and Hayden Kerr. Expect to see all four in the second game along with Lachlan Hearne. Our pacemen took a solitary wicket so the chop is on for some of them too.

Guys am making a separate Shield domestic cricket thread. This one is for Test cricket.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Blues mercilessly mauled for 76 yesterday by WA quicks Jhye Richardson and Jason Behrendorff. Not playing were Chris Tremain, Oliver Davies, Baxter Holt and Hayden Kerr. Expect to see all four in the second game along with Lachlan Hearne. Our pacemen took a solitary wicket so the chop is on for some of them too.

Guys am making a separate Shield domestic cricket thread. This one is for Test cricket.
76 in a 50 over game?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The first Test series of the summer between Australia and the West Indies starts on Nov 30. First there will be two warm up matches. One started yesterday against a combined NSW/ACT (NAX) side while the second is a day/evening affair on Nov 23 against the PMs X1. Both games are being held at Canberra's Manuka Oval.

In the first match West Indies compiled 424 then declared and put in the young but eager hosts. At stumps on the second day NAX was 2/259. This was against the Windies' premier Test attack.
Guys a new name to look out for is Oliver Davies with the only century for the match to date.

Eric

Staff
The first Test series of the summer between Australia and the West Indies starts on Nov 30. First there will be two warm up matches. One started yesterday against a combined NSW/ACT (NAX) side while the second is a day/evening affair on Nov 23 against the PMs X1. Both games are being held at Canberra's Manuka Oval.

In the first match West Indies compiled 424 then declared and put in the young but eager hosts. At stumps on the second day NAX was 2/259. This was against the Windies' premier Test attack.
Guys a new name to look out for is Oliver Davies with the only century for the match to date.
Seems like it might be a wicket very friendly to batting.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Seems like it might be a wicket very friendly to batting.
You may be correct. Can only surmise as no online live stream coverage. But credit to these NAX boys as most have yet to play First Class cricket. Closest some have come, such as Davies, Attenborough and MacDonald, is Second X1, the level under Shield cricket.

Eric

Staff
You may be correct. Can only surmise as no online live stream coverage. But credit to these NAX boys as most have yet to play First Class cricket. Closest some have come, such as Davies, Attenborough and MacDonald, is Second X1, the level under Shield cricket.
I'm looking forward to seeing the next generation of batters. This current crop consisting of Warner, Finch, Stonis, Maxwell, Smith really haven't brought much success. At least not in the one-day game despite the WC win 6 or 7 years ago.

You would know better than me but I guess Smith will be in for a while yet. The others however haven't scored consistently for a while.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I'm looking forward to seeing the next generation of batters. This current crop consisting of Warner, Finch, Stonis, Maxwell, Smith really haven't brought much success. At least not in the one-day game despite the WC win 6 or 7 years ago.

You would know better than me but I guess Smith will be in for a while yet. The others however haven't scored consistently for a while.
Finch will now hang up his boots, Warner will likely join him after the Ashes in England in July/August next year, Smith will continue to churn out runs in both formats for a few more years, while you have to use a bulldozer to remove Maxwell and Stoinis.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The warm up match between the tourists West Indies and the PMX1 ended in a draw and not the thrilling finish we had hoped for. Matt Renhaw and Pete Handscomb have put up their names for a Test recall, if not in our summer, then India in Autumn.
The First Test begins in WA on Wednesday at the smashing Perth Stadium.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The warm up match between the tourists West Indies and the PMX1 ended in a draw and not the thrilling finish we had hoped for. Matt Renhaw and Pete Handscomb have put up their names for a Test recall, if not in our summer, then India in Autumn.
The First Test begins in WA on Wednesday at the smashing Perth Stadium.
I'm looking forward to the one day games. Any chance for some major changes? If so, who is on the outer and who is in?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Is it a coincidence that Justin Langer has came out with his "they are cowards" quote to the media on the eve of the first Test match in WA in three years. Now he is urging his fellow West Aussies to attend all five days. He is looking to be the peacemaker when some will say he may have been the instigator of this apparent fan unrest and boycott of the match. Makes you wonder.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Is it a coincidence that Justin Langer has came out with "they are cowards" quote to the media on the eve of the first Test match in WA in three years. Now he is urging his fellow West Aussies to attend all five days. He is looking to be the peacemaker when some will say he may have been the instigator of this apparent fan unrest and boycott of the match. Makes you wonder.
Why haven't they been to WA in 3 years? Covid related problems?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
For those interested Australia looks to be in a rampant run scoring mood in the First Test at Perth Stadium. Other than a waning Dave Warner all batsmen savaged the West Indians. Marnus will be eyeing off a double hundred this morning while the master batsman Steve Smith will be seeking his 30th career century. Plan will be to bat to 500 then declare and let the hapless Windies chase the game.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
For those interested Australia looks to be in a rampant run scoring mood in the First Test at Perth Stadium. Other than a waning Dave Warner all batsmen savaged the West Indians. Marnus will be eyeing off a double hundred this morning while the master batsman Steve Smith will be seeking his 30th career century. Plan will be to bat to 500 then declare and let the hapless Windies chase the game.
I knew he scored a lot of runs in test cricket but I didn't realise Smith was that prolific a run scorer. To be honest, I've been mostly critical of him in one day and 20-20 cricket.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I know it's test cricket and scoring runs quickly usually isn't important but Labuschagne scores so slowly! Even as he approaches a double century, he hasn't quickened the speed at which he is scoring.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I knew he scored a lot of runs in test cricket but I didn't realise Smith was that prolific a run scorer. To be honest, I've been mostly critical of him in one day and 20-20 cricket.
Smith is our second best Test bat behind only the master general Donald Bradman. He averages @60.. that equates to scoring 60 runs every time he bats in a Test match. That is ridiculously prolific.
You can see footage of the double century he scored on the CA website. Just click highlights on the scorecard page.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I know it's test cricket and scoring runs quickly usually isn't important but Labuschagne scores so slowly! Even as he approaches a double century, he hasn't quickened the speed at which he is scoring.
Labuchagne is not as fluent or as good a timer or placer of the ball as Steve Smith so he scored his runs at a slower rate, but for a Test match 200, 350 balls is a fair scoring rate. Most good Test batsmen score their first 50 from say 100 balls as the prime objective is to build your innings carefully. Once you are 'set' then you can expand your strokeplay. Which both Steven and Marnus did perfectly.