CRICKET: The BAGGY GREENS Thread.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Labuchagne is not as fluent or as good a timer or placer of the ball as Steve Smith so he scored his runs at a slower rate, but for a Test match 200, 350 balls is a fair scoring rate. Most good Test batsmen score their first 50 from say 100 balls as the prime objective is to build your innings carefully. Once you are 'set' then you can expand your strokeplay. Which both Steven and Marnus did perfectly.
Perhaps I'm overly harsh but I just think when he has 150 runs on the board and 4 or 5 top batsmen waiting for a chance to come in, it's time to step up the speed of scoring. But you know about it better than me so I might be wrong.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Smith is our second best Test bat behind only the master general Donald Bradman. He averages @60.. that equates to scoring 60 runs every time he bats in a Test match. That is ridiculously prolific.
You can see footage of the double century he scored on the CA website. Just click highlights on the scorecard page.
I see. To be honest, when watching him bat, I was always more impressed with the likes of Ponting, Gilchrist and etc but probably because I like one day cricket.

Got a link?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
impressed with the likes of Ponting, Gilchrist
So was I. But if you go back to those matches you will find that, Ponting started his innings with care and like I have said expanded his stroke play later. Gilly went bananas from ball one. Sometimes he came off, other times he did not. The fact that when he did come off it was usually match defining, plus with his smart keeping, he was an integral part of our side then.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I reckon he scored his last 50 far quicker than his first 50. He did get bogged down in the 190s.. perhaps that is what you saw.
You are probably right. I had time for a look and when he was on around 160, he was still blocking, blocking, blocking, letting go through to the keeper, pushing a singe. It was like...... What are you doing?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I see. To be honest, when watching him bat, I was always more impressed with the likes of Ponting, Gilchrist and etc but probably because I like one day cricket.

Got a link?
Speaking of Ponting, it's good he recovered from his heart problems. So many previously healthy people haven't over the past 1.5~2 years. Just ask Warnie:unsure:.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

First Test player ratings​

DAVID WARNER - 4 - The opener missed out in the first innings, bowled playing a shot that could best be described as ordinary, the footwork in particular clearly lacking. Made 48 in the second innings, but by then the match was as good as won. The match continued a worrying post COVID-19 trend for Warner, in that period he averages just 28.45 in Test matches, with four half centuries from 23 innings.

He has had a great career but I think it's time he called it a day from international cricket and try to get some big money in the IPL for another couple of years though that window is probably rapidly closing.

MARNUS LABUSCHAGNE - 10 - Certainly enjoyed a degree of luck in this match, but in making 204 and 104 not out he joined Doug Walters (1969) and Greg Chappell (1974) as the only Australians to make a double century and a century in the same Test. Hard to give anything other than a perfect score.

First innings was slow but this is a 5 day game. Against better opposition, he would need to score a bit faster.

STEVE SMITH - 10 - 220 runs for the match without being dismissed, and you suspect he'd still be batting on day seven if the match went that long, because he hardly looked troubled by the West Indian bowling. His catch to dismiss Jason Holder off Travis Head's bowling was top class.

As above.

None of the bowlers were particularly good. All good, none were bad or really good.

Eric

Staff

First Test player ratings​

DAVID WARNER - 4 - The opener missed out in the first innings, bowled playing a shot that could best be described as ordinary, the footwork in particular clearly lacking. Made 48 in the second innings, but by then the match was as good as won. The match continued a worrying post COVID-19 trend for Warner, in that period he averages just 28.45 in Test matches, with four half centuries from 23 innings.

He has had a great career but I think it's time he called it a day from international cricket and try to get some big money in the IPL for another couple of years though that window is probably rapidly closing.

MARNUS LABUSCHAGNE - 10 - Certainly enjoyed a degree of luck in this match, but in making 204 and 104 not out he joined Doug Walters (1969) and Greg Chappell (1974) as the only Australians to make a double century and a century in the same Test. Hard to give anything other than a perfect score.

First innings was slow but this is a 5 day game. Against better opposition, he would need to score a bit faster.

STEVE SMITH - 10 - 220 runs for the match without being dismissed, and you suspect he'd still be batting on day seven if the match went that long, because he hardly looked troubled by the West Indian bowling. His catch to dismiss Jason Holder off Travis Head's bowling was top class.

As above.

None of the bowlers were particularly good. All good, none were bad or really good.
As for Warner, it's a real shame when old legends stick around for too long. At least partly ruins their legacy.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
As for Warner, it's a real shame when old legends stick around for too long. At least partly ruins their legacy.
Yeh has hinted at calling Test cricket quits after England next year. But his record up there is abysmal. He just wont admit that to himself. I'd like to see him hang up the bat after the South Africa series this summer.

Eric

Staff
Yeh has hinted at calling Test cricket quits after England next year. But his record up there is abysmal. He just wont admit that to himself. I'd like to see him hang up the bat after the South Africa series this summer.
After England next year? I was thinking after Windies this summer is a better option.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Obviously Aus cricket selection policy is similar to Origin and Australian RL selection. They can't wait to get rid of some old favourites are while others can stick around far too long. It's all about money and politics.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
That man Labuschagne is picking up his batting speed. His SR is now a touch over 30. And he hasn't just started his innings. Faced 71 balls so far.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
That man Labuschagne is picking up his batting speed. His SR is now a touch over 30. And he hasn't just started his innings. Faced 71 balls so far.
5 day game. Imagine how much money CA lost when the Waughs, Ponting, Gilchrist, Warne(RIP), McGrath, Simmonds(RIP), Hayden were doing their thing and used to regularly wrap up test games inside 3 days.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Australia and South Africa playing on a really difficult wicket for batters. Maybe hard to get the wicket just right for batters and bowlers but when it comes to test cricket, I like the idea of erring on the side of bowlers. The best batsmen tend to rise to the top and the flat track bullies cool their heels in the change room.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Australia and South Africa playing on a really difficult wicket for batters. Maybe hard to get the wicket just right for batters and bowlers but when it comes to test cricket, I like the idea of erring on the side of bowlers. The best batsmen tend to rise to the top and the flat track bullies cool their heels in the change room.
Also because if batter wants to go in and look to stay in, getting the odd single here and there, they'll score low. The only chance is to go in aggressive and look to score relatively fast.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Also because if batter wants to go in and look to stay in, getting the odd single here and there, they'll score low. The only chance is to go in aggressive and look to score relatively fast.
Poor South Africa. When I was growing up various Australian commentators were calling them one of the greatest teams ever. The problem was they were up against an Australian team which was the greatest ever!

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Is the Australian bowling really good? The South African batting really bad? Or is it another extremely difficult pitch to bat on?