Front Office

Eric

Staff
So I think Trent Barrett and Nathan Brown are going to be out of a job very soon. I'd bet Flanagan is picked up by at least either of those clubs. So if that turns out to be the case, would everyone prefer Barrett or Brown to take over Flanagans job? Or neither? Nathan Brown for me.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
So I think Trent Barrett and Nathan Brown are going to be out of a job very soon. I'd bet Flanagan is picked up by at least either of those clubs. So if that turns out to be the case, would everyone prefer Barrett or Brown to take over Flanagans job? Or neither? Nathan Brown for me.
  1. Flanagan stays in the job.
  2. Neither Brown or Barrett but someone qualified.
  3. Brown
  4. Barrett.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
  2. Neither Brown or Barrett but someone qualified.
  3. Brown
  4. Barrett.
Agree with above. Prominent old boys in key positions in the club have brought nothing but pain. At another club, maybe not as head coach but in a position like that which Flanagan has at the Dragons, I think they might do well.

This will make it the 3rd time Browny has been sacked and 2nd time for Barrett in far fewer games. They are definitely not cut out to be NRL coaches.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Agree with above. Prominent old boys in key positions in the club have brought nothing but pain. At another club, maybe not as head coach but in a position like that which Flanagan has at the Dragons, I think they might do well.

This will make it the 3rd time Browny has been sacked and 2nd time for Barrett in far fewer games. They are definitely not cut out to be NRL coaches.
Definitely bring in an outsider for the job if Flanagan becomes unavailable.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I don't know. I agree 100% neither should be considered for the head coaching position now or anytime in the future and I agree hopefully Flanagan can stay in the job. But further down the trough, I can't see any reason why either wouldn't excel. I haven't followed Brown's career since he was sacked at the Dragons. I'm sympathetic he was put in the position far too early but when he was at the Dragons, the talent he scouted was absolutely phenomenal.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I don't know. I agree 100% neither should be considered for the head coaching position now or anytime in the future and I agree hopefully Flanagan can stay in the job. But further down the trough, I can't see any reason why either wouldn't excel. I haven't followed Brown's career since he was sacked at the Dragons. I'm sympathetic he was put in the position far too early but when he was at the Dragons, the talent he scouted was absolutely phenomenal.
I'm on the fence. Just don't know. But doubt Flanagan will stick around for long. He is way too qualified for the job and as a result, almost certainly underpaid.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Good assistant coaches often make very poor head coaches. Trent Barrett is such a bad head coach, I doubt he'll ever be considered for the job again. That being so, he might go well "further down the trough".

Eric

Staff
Good assistant coaches often make very poor head coaches. Trent Barrett is such a bad head coach, I doubt he'll ever be considered for the job again. That being so, he might go well "further down the trough".
Yep. He is a disaster as a head coach. I can understand some coaches are better than others but I really can't understand how some coaches are so bad compared to others. What is it? Not recruiting the right players? Not having a good relationship with players? Bad tactics?
Anyway, as for me:
  2. Someone from outside the club takes his spot.
  3. Nathan Brown.
  4. Someone other than Trent Barrett.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons announce Gearbox partnership​

St George Illawarra are proud to announce Gearbox as the Dragons' newest icon partner.​

Gearbox's branding will feature prominently on the goal and corner posts at every 2022 Dragons home game.

Gearbox is an Australian owned and operated software company focused on fleet maintenance software. For over 15 years, Gearbox has helped hundreds of businesses in Australia and abroad manage their asset maintenance and compliance.

Gearbox owner Jared Winton said: "We are very proud to partner with the St George Illawarra Dragons and look forward to sharing many successes together.

"This partnership is very special for our business having been founded in Wollongong in addition to our continued support for many long term customers throughout the Illawarra."

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Club continuing to make the right moves off the field. This company was already sponsoring a few NRL and NRLW players.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons announce Gearbox partnership​

St George Illawarra are proud to announce Gearbox as the Dragons' newest icon partner.​

Gearbox's branding will feature prominently on the goal and corner posts at every 2022 Dragons home game.

Gearbox is an Australian owned and operated software company focused on fleet maintenance software. For over 15 years, Gearbox has helped hundreds of businesses in Australia and abroad manage their asset maintenance and compliance.

Gearbox owner Jared Winton said: "We are very proud to partner with the St George Illawarra Dragons and look forward to sharing many successes together.

"This partnership is very special for our business having been founded in Wollongong in addition to our continued support for many long term customers throughout the Illawarra."
Who cares when the extra money goes into the pockets of the board and executives rather than the football dept?

Eric

Staff
Our old boys Trent Barrett and Nathan Brown are surely set to be unemployed very soon. One of or probably both. If Shane Flanagan leaves, as is widely being speculated, would everyone prefer Trent Barrett, Nathan Brown or neither to take his place?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
A lot of noise saying Flanagan is going to get the job at Canterbury. I wonder if a straight swap is on the cards? Or wait for Nathan Brown to get the sack within the next few weeks? I very much doubt either will ever be a head coach again.

Eric

Staff

SHANE FLANAGAN

Flanagan has been linked to just about every vacant NRL position, with good reason. He’s a premiership-winning coach who has a proven ability to get the best out of a playing group and deal with upheaval _ of which there is plenty at Canterbury. The 55-year-old has a strike rate of 55 per cent, winning 108 of his 198 games in charge of the Sharks, all while dealing with supplements and salary cap sagas. He could be reunited with son and halfback Kyle.

Crawley says: Flanagan has the resume but I seriously don’t think the Bulldogs are the right fit for him. First up, he is too experienced to cop having Gus constantly looking over his shoulder. Secondly, the fact he is halfback Kyle’s dad presents a big problem if the Bulldogs want to cut ties with the playmaker down the track. Let’s face it, right now Kyle is struggling and it would be a tough call on Shane Flanagan to sack his son.

Kyle Flanagan might be our saviour. At least as far as keeping Shane Flanagan in current position. But I wonder if the Warriors will come knocking in a week or two.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
All I will say on this subject is we have 1 premiership since 2000 and it was as a result of not having a person who had personal connection with the club. I would be against bringing in any future coach that had played for us. I think that the Bulldogs job will go to Paul Green if not Flanagan

Eric

Staff
All I will say on this subject is we have 1 premiership since 2000 and it was as a result of not having a person who had personal connection with the club. I would be against bringing in any future coach that had played for us. I think that the Bulldogs job will go to Paul Green if not Flanagan
I'm absolutely, unequivocally against an ex player as head coach the NRL team. As for positions further down the trough, I'm not against it.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Looking likely Shane Flanagan is going to be appointed Bulldogs coach. Raises a few concerns:
  • Who is going to replace him?
  • Will he have inside knowledge of the team heading into the game in 2 weeks?
  • Will he poach some of the best young players he is supposed to be preparing for first grade?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Looking likely Shane Flanagan is going to be appointed Bulldogs coach. Raises a few concerns:
  • Will he poach some of the best young players he is supposed to be preparing for first grade?
It's been known for some time Shane Flanagan wants to be a head coach again. Surely the club has done due diligence to stop any possibility of the last a those points being an issue.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Gould relationship opens door for Flanagan as Dogs boss​

Paul Kent and Phil Rothfield believe Shane Flanagan is a leading contender to succeed Trent Barrett as Phil Gould admitted the Bulldogs need an experienced coach as their next appointment. Barrett’s decision to step down leaves the club facing a huge call on their next coach as they currently sit last and are the favourites for the wooden spoon.

Kent revealed that Gould and Flanagan were seen in discussion only last week down in Woollongong where the former Sharks coach works with the Dragons. “Apparently Flanagan and Gus were in Wollongong talking last week, that might be about Kyle, who knows,” Kent said on NRL 360. “Beyond that, they both have the same manager as each other.”

Braith Anasta pointed out that Gould shares the same manager as a number of the candidates to replace Barrett. “Well they all have the same manager, Gus, Barrett, Shane Flanagan, Kyle Flanagan, now Brad Fittler,” Anasta said.

Rothfield questioned Flanagan on the difficulty in coaching his son Kyle if he was appointed and the challenges of working under Gould given his hands on approach. “I spoke to a couple of guys, I said to Shane would it be hard working with Gus, a danger of coming in and taking over your coaching and two, Kyle is there,” Rothfield said. “I said ‘how do you drop your own son?’ and he answered by saying ‘I’d pick the best halfback each week’ whether it be Kyle or whether they sign someone else.”

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
It's been known for some time Shane Flanagan wants to be a head coach again. Surely the club has done due diligence to stop any possibility of the last a those points being an issue.
It better have done!
The last of those points is the only one to worry about.