Front Office

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
According to media reports, the conversation should be when, not if Flanagan accepts a head coaching position elsewhere unless Griffin is sacked pretty much immediately.

Still two important questions.
  • Who replaces him?
  • If he's signed by the Tigers for next year, do the Dragons keep him on until November?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
According to media reports, the conversation should be when, not if Flanagan accepts a head coaching position elsewhere unless Griffin is sacked pretty much immediately.

Still two important questions.
  • Who replaces him?
  • If he's signed by the Tigers for next year, do the Dragons keep him on until November?
I guess it was always likely but would've been nice to get 2~3 years out of him. See what he could do for the pathways. Something the club has struggled with since Nathan Brown.

Bennett's premiership side was a mixture of players brought into first grade by Brown and a few already established first graders who were mostly down on form.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I guess it was always likely but would've been nice to get 2~3 years out of him. See what he could do for the pathways. Something the club has struggled with since Nathan Brown.

Bennett's premiership side was a mixture of players brought into first grade by Brown and a few already established first graders who were mostly down on form.
Would have been. If Dragons old boys weren't such poor head coaches, might have been able to get much longer out of Flanagan. Still, nothing has been decided yet so no use getting too far ahead of ourselves.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Would have been. If Dragons old boys weren't such poor head coaches, might have been able to get much longer out of Flanagan. Still, nothing has been decided yet so no use getting too far ahead of ourselves.
Looks like he might see out the year. He won't join the Grubs this year and Warriors are insisting Brown will see out the year.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Looks like he might see out the year. He won't join the Grubs this year and Warriors are insisting Brown will see out the year.
Still don't know if he is any good at his current job. If he sees out the year and then Browny takes over, it should be ok. A seamless transition.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Still don't know if he is any good at his current job. If he sees out the year and then Browny takes over, it should be ok. A seamless transition.
I'm not an expert but I imagine it takes 3 or 4 years minimum to know how well he has done, or how well he did, in the position.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Brown gave an excellent interview on NRL 360. If Flanagan is going to get picked up as a head coach elsewhere, Brown would be an outstanding boss for the parthways program.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Brown gave an excellent interview on NRL 360. If Flanagan is going to get picked up as a head coach elsewhere, Brown would be an outstanding boss for the parthways program.
Certainly not as a head coach but as the director of the pathways program, I think Browny might be even better than Flanagan.

Eric

Staff
On another thread someone was talking about how the Dragons used to have so many SOO reps. Off the top of my head, Baz, Gaz, Coops, Bull Baily, Ryles and I think one or two others. Lets not forget that it was Brown who discovered these guys. He didn't do nearly enough with them when he was head coach but he certainly has an eye for talent. Exactly what the club needs in a Parthways director. That's if Flanno is leaving, which seems likely.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
On another thread someone was talking about how the Dragons used to have so many SOO reps. Off the top of my head, Baz, Gaz, Coops, Bull Baily, Ryles and I think one or two others. Lets not forget that it was Brown who discovered these guys. He didn't do nearly enough with them when he was head coach but he certainly has an eye for talent. Exactly what the club needs in a Parthways director. That's if Flanno is leaving, which seems likely.
I can't remember exactly when it was but sometime around the end of his time at the Dragons, Browny was asked which player he'd sign if he could sign anyone. He nominated a Parramatta Jersey Flegg player named Jaryd Hayne. No matter what one thinks of him, he was certainly very talented.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Be great to bring Baz or Browny home then send Griffin back to Bananaland. Were their hearts in their past clubs.
Surely you don't want either as head coach! Look at their record as head coaches and at the Dragons record under old boy coaches. Not so much Baz but I think Browny would be a perfect director for the pathways program if Flanagan is picked up as a head coach elsewhere.

Eric

Staff

‘Train wreck’: Kings owner denies takeover, slamming ‘dumpster fire’ Dragons​

Sydney Kings owner and lifelong St George Dragons fan Paul Smith has shrugged off suggestions he wants to buy the club.​

Smith is a Wollongong local and explained he “only wants the best” for the St George Illawarra club, but made a huge claim regarding its management. Speaking on SEN 1170, Smith claimed the Dragons have no clarity regarding their future, with no long-term plan in place to become premiership contenders.

“That’s a mess, that’s a train wreck and a dumpster fire all rolled into one, I love that the notion of the club and what it represents, I only want the best for them,” Smith said. “They’ve got to form a long-term plan and articulate that, I don’t give advice normally but if you asked me I’d share that, what lacks there is a clarity about a future and vision.”

Smith explained, while it may be considered the wrong move by many rugby league pundits, the Tigers have set a framework for their future, hoping to climb the ladder in years to come. “You’ve got to eliminate that short-term planning and you’re seeing a bit of that with the Wests Tigers, they’ve got a five-year plan with their coaching, it may be wrong but at least they’ve got a plan,” Smith said.

I thought the days of the Old Boys being happy with a mediocre to poor team as long as they are on the gravy train were over. Maybe I thought that too soon. I don't know if that's the case but if they have a long term plan, they do an exceptional job in keeping it secret.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately I am afraid that this is the mess we have been in but only since the Win corporation owned by the Gordon's took possession of the Steelers 50% stake in the joint venture. Since that time there has been ongoing friction between the two entities that own our once proud club. Even though last year Gordon's son Andrew was replaced by Craig Young as chairman there is so much residual damage done by Gordon in his 3 yr tenor as chairman that it will take years to recover and repair to restore the club to being a competitive top 4 team. Unfortunately politics in boardrooms are the norm but politics and sport should never be mixed. A prime example is our club . All jokes aside my personal view is that you won't see the club achieve that goal in the next 3 yrs. I hope I'm wrong

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately I am afraid that this is the mess we have been in but only since the Win corporation owned by the Gordon's took possession of the Steelers 50% stake in the joint venture. Since that time there has been ongoing friction between the two entities that own our once proud club. Even though last year Gordon's son Andrew was replaced by Craig Young as chairman there is so much residual damage done by Gordon in his 3 yr tenor as chairman that it will take years to recover and repair to restore the club to being a competitive top 4 team. Unfortunately politics in boardrooms are the norm but politics and sport should never be mixed. A prime example is our club . All jokes aside my personal view is that you won't see the club achieve that goal in the next 3 yrs. I hope I'm wrong
Depressing but seems accurate. I hope you're wrong as well.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I'm nowhere near as pessimistic as you. Remember back in the day a year after Gaz was released to play rugby in France? I think they had been knocked out in week 1 of the finals which was considered a success at the time. Then Bennett came to coach and the rest is history.