Head coach….

Eric

Staff

THOSE WHO WON’T EXCHANGE CHRISTMAS CARDS

JASON RYLES AND DRAGONS MANAGEMENT

St George Illawarra thought they had their man, so much so they were just about ready to announce former prop Jason Ryles as their new coach.

However, Ryles left the Dragons angry after rejecting them at the last minute to instead sign with Melbourne, despite the club guaranteeing almost all of his expectations.

The stupidity of our front office for trying to hire someone to rebuild a team who has no head NRL head coaching experience but the arrogance of Ryles rejecting us! He wasn't half as good a prop as Bull Bailey.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

THOSE WHO WON’T EXCHANGE CHRISTMAS CARDS

JASON RYLES AND DRAGONS MANAGEMENT

St George Illawarra thought they had their man, so much so they were just about ready to announce former prop Jason Ryles as their new coach.

However, Ryles left the Dragons angry after rejecting them at the last minute to instead sign with Melbourne, despite the club guaranteeing almost all of his expectations.

The stupidity of our front office for trying to hire someone to rebuild a team who has no head NRL head coaching experience but the arrogance of Ryles rejecting us! He wasn't half as good a prop as Bull Bailey.
How many gun assistant coaches turn out to be dud head coaches? I hope Ryles is another. Or Bellamy back-flips and stays on coaching for another few years.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

23 biggest NRL moments in ‘23​

10. RYLES SNUB SPARKS FLANNO RETURN

Following Anthony Griffin’s sacking the Dragons were desperately searching for a coach to turn the struggling club around. Former NSW and Kangaroos forward Jason Ryles looked to be the man tasked with sparking an almighty resurgence and Red V powerbrokers even tabled a mammoth offer.

Ryles was on the verge of signing a four-year $3.2 million deal in May, and the deal was all but done. That was until Ryles had a sudden change of heart and instead accepted a job with the Storm with a view to being Craig Bellamy’s successor. But it turned out to be a decent result for the Dragons, going from an untried coach to Shane Flanagan who is a tried and tested NRL mentor.

‘Flanno’ is the man the Dragons have hired to spark a finals return and the former Sharks boss is already making moves, with his sights now set on Addin Fonua-Blake.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Q&A with Flanno. Behind a paywall so I think I can't post it here but some important points:
  • Q: You’ve mentioned the fans, I am sure they have been stopping you in the street. What is the first thing they say to you?
    A: Good luck. They know it’s a big job. Dragons fans have to understand, it’s going to be a journey. It’s not a long journey – it won’t be a five-year plan — but within two years we will be back on track.

• Q: What’s the biggest challenge with this playing group?
    A: Getting them back into systems. Especially defensively. We’ve been loose in that area.

• Q: When the Dragons have been at their best they’ve been filled with junior players. Do you see the Dragons as a development club?
    A: I do. We saw two last season in Ryan and Toby Couchman. They probably played maybe a little too many games and got fatigued but they are an example of what’s there. There are probably six or seven underneath them who are similar. In the next two or three years we will see some really exciting players. Hamish Stewart, Dylan Egan, Savelio Tamale. There are some exciting kids. I’m looking forward to them coming through.

• In the last part he mentioned that Hunt is a half or 5/8. That's interesting. Considering moving Hunt to 5/8 and then someone to halfback.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Q&A with Flanno. Behind a paywall so I think I can't post it here but some important points:
  • Q: You’ve mentioned the fans, I am sure they have been stopping you in the street. What is the first thing they say to you?
    A: Good luck. They know it’s a big job. Dragons fans have to understand, it’s going to be a journey. It’s not a long journey – it won’t be a five-year plan — but within two years we will be back on track.

• Q: What’s the biggest challenge with this playing group?
    A: Getting them back into systems. Especially defensively. We’ve been loose in that area.

• Q: When the Dragons have been at their best they’ve been filled with junior players. Do you see the Dragons as a development club?
    A: I do. We saw two last season in Ryan and Toby Couchman. They probably played maybe a little too many games and got fatigued but they are an example of what’s there. There are probably six or seven underneath them who are similar. In the next two or three years we will see some really exciting players. Hamish Stewart, Dylan Egan, Savelio Tamale. There are some exciting kids. I’m looking forward to them coming through.

• In the last part he mentioned that Hunt is a half or 5/8. That's interesting. Considering moving Hunt to 5/8 and then someone to halfback.
If the defence was only 'a little better' last year. Like just 'bad' rather than 'utterly atrocious', would have won 5 or 6 more games.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
What is going on with Flanno? Is there anyone except him who thinks the team is better with Bird at centre, Lomax on the wing and pissed off? I haven't come across a single person, not even in the media, who thinks this is a good idea. If there was a young centre with bucket loads of talent busting down the door, I could accept it but WTF is Bird? A good utility player in his early days who has stunk it up far more often than played well over about the last 5 seasons.

Eric

Staff
What is going on with Flanno? Is there anyone except him who thinks the team is better with Bird at centre, Lomax on the wing and pissed off? I haven't come across a single person, not even in the media, who thinks this is a good idea. If there was a young centre with bucket loads of talent busting down the door, I could accept it but WTF is Bird? A good utility player in his early days who has stunk it up far more often than played well over about the last 5 seasons.
What do they say; A Jack of all trades but master of none.

I'd go with both Feagai's before Bird in the centres. Bird is a much better player than both but not as good a centre.

Why is it our coaches always have to have their favourites? Apparently Benji and Nofoluma were good friends. But seeing Nofoluma was no longer up to NRL, Benji made the right call. Acted like a professional. Imagine that! I don't think Birds even that bad. Just put him on the bench. It should be the absolute easiest call.

Just my views.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I wonder if it would be worthwhile bringing Jason Demetriou back in some capacity in the next week after he is sacked. At least for the rest of this year, he'd come cheap, maybe for next year as well. Seems like a smart operator and I know he was well thought of when he was an assistant for I think Mary. Not sure in what capacity. Of course I like Deano as an assistant and frankly, I liked what Carr did when he replaced Hook last year.

Eric

Staff
I wonder if it would be worthwhile bringing Jason Demetriou back in some capacity in the next week after he is sacked. At least for the rest of this year, he'd come cheap, maybe for next year as well. Seems like a smart operator and I know he was well thought of when he was an assistant for I think Mary. Not sure in what capacity. Of course I like Deano as an assistant and frankly, I liked what Carr did when he replaced Hook last year.
Maybe a smart operator further down the trough than head coach but we've just had a big turnover.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
After the bye this week, Dragons might be in the top 8. Not sure if that's good. It will be a good excuse for Flanno to stick with his ultra-conservative team selection policies. Couchman's won't get a look in for the entire year and being justifiably pissed, will ask for and be granted a release.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Hope this isn't true or that's it's true he is under consideration but doesn't go any further.
Luckily I think they won't gamble with an unproven head coach. Only the Dragons do that on a regular basis. I think Deano is going to make an excellent head coach. Hopefully for us in 2 or 3 years. Or maybe 6 or 7 because 2 or 3 will mean Flanno has failed.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Deano still reportedly in the running for Eels coach. Suprised Hornby isn't in the running with the way Souths have been playing.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Bit off topic. It's bye week so who cares? Anyone know Jim Lenihan? Apparently he was a centre and winger for the Dragons. He's now GC assistant and in line for ESL job.

How many ex Dragons players are coaches?
  • Barrett
  • Brown
  • Ryles
  • Hornby
  • Young
  • Sowie
Anyone else?

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Bit off topic. It's bye week so who cares? Anyone know Jim Lenihan? Apparently he was a centre and winger for the Dragons. He's now GC assistant and in line for ESL job.

How many ex Dragons players are coaches?
  • Barrett
  • Brown
  • Ryles
  • Hornby
  • Young
  • Sowie
Anyone else?

Fitzgibbon
Flanno
Benji
Price