INFO WAS RIGHT - SALARY CAP

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
As I mentioned some time ago when we were discussing signing new players and why we were not bidding for new players. Well today it was officially revealed that we have a salary cap issue and we have no room at present to add to our 30 man squad. Apparently previous management prior to Griffin had rubber stamped large salary increases for our young future stars such as Amone and Sullivan plus Lomax previously unknown salary has been revealed he signed for $3 m in 2020 for a contract that won't expire until 2026. JDB on 700k until 2024 and Hunt 1.2m so there you have it. Those off contract won't be resigned including my fav Gosiewski but also including Burns, Faamasuli, Ford, Moga and Mcguire we are officially stuffed unless we sell

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
As I mentioned some time ago when we were discussing signing new players and why we were not bidding for new players. Well today it was officially revealed that we have a salary cap issue and we have no room at present to add to our 30 man squad. Apparently previous management prior to Griffin had rubber stamped large salary increases for our young future stars such as Amone and Sullivan plus Lomax previously unknown salary has been revealed he signed for $3 m in 2020 for a contract that won't expire until 2026. JDB on 700k until 2024 and Hunt 1.2m so there you have it. Those off contract won't be resigned including my fav Gosiewski but also including Burns, Faamasuli, Ford, Moga and Mcguire we are officially stuffed unless we sell
Link?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
So not Griffin's fault?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Hook leaking the story, making excuses for his disastrous recruiting? He re-signed Sullivan and Sloan!

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Read this too. Seems the club is paying for wasteful and mindless contracts handed out to Ben Hunt and Zack Lomax, Tariq Sims too. Whatever we pay JDB .. he is worth it. Yet Tele scribe David Riccio suggests to relieve a degree of salary cap pressure our club will need to release both our best player Jack and Lomax.. who on his day and when given space is as good a three quarter as we have in our game. I say the money instead has to come by reducing those on oversized salaries. Make them a new wage offer and those that dont accept piss em off as that shows they lack loyalty to the RedV.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I'd say that's why Sims had to go. I'd keep JDB for sure. But we need at least 1 new prop and now Amone and Sullivan are on better contracts for next season we have to keep them as well. It's a predicament because who would you sell to ease salary cap but more importantly who would want to actually buy anyone from us.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
large salary increases for our young future stars such as Amone and Sullivan
Hope that included Sloan and perhaps Coric, Stewart.. all from the class of Ball 2019. Was Muhleisen also one too? I dont see this as foolhardy policy by the previous admin .. but rather visionary. By recognizing the best of our local juniors and tying them to the club to keep away poachers.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Hope that included Sloan and perhaps Coric, Stewart.. all from the class of Ball 2019. I dont see this as foolhardy policy by the previous admin .. but rather visionary. By recognizing the best of our local juniors and tying them to the club to keep away poachers.
Back ended contracts in my view are far from visionary

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Those off contract won't be resigned including my fav Gosiewski but also including Burns, Faamasuli, Ford, Moga and Mcguire we are officially stuffed unless we sell
Releasing these blokes will serve to retain our best juniors not buy new players. It is not such a bad thing to have faith in the home grown product and in fact may well be a blessing in disguise for our club..

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Releasing these blokes will serve to retain our best juniors not buy new players. It is not such a bad thing to have faith in the home grown product as this may well be a blessing in disguise for our club..
I disagree you can have the best juniors in the competition but without guidance experience and an ability to allow those juniors to step up it won't matter we will wollow outside the top 8 for the foreseeable future

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I disagree you can have the best juniors in the competition but without guidance experience and an ability to allow those juniors to step up it won't matter we will wollow outside the top 8 for the foreseeable future
That depends entirely on their tutor. Our boys wont get it with this current coaching dud. Griffin is renowned for developing juniors from the ground up. Yeh sure. Meanwhile these juniors become disillusioned and wish to seek playing elsewhere.

Releasing these blokes will serve to retain our best juniors not buy new players.

Not my words Davis Riccio's. Just trying to put a positive spin on our future if this is the case.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
That was supposed to be Hooks speciality, bringing talented young players in and guiding them to be excellent first graders. 2 years at the Dragons, he's failed miserably.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I'm not sure of what these youngsters are on. Back ended contracts usually don't include rising stars.
Exactly. They are intended for established players at the end of their careers. Agree with you that they are a negative as when a bloke nears the end, invariably he is no longer worth his big pay packet. Robbie Farrah a case in point.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
As far as I know, Gosiewski, Burns, Faamasuli, Ford, Moga and McGuire are all off contract. No need to sell them. But I wish they could sell Mbye and Macca.