INFO WAS RIGHT - SALARY CAP

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Not my words Davis Riccio's. Just trying to put a positive spin on our future if this is the case.
I hope it's the case but who are they? Sloan, Sullivan are both signed long term. Amone still one more year. Who else do they have high hopes for?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Mbye and Macca.
Once our season is over drop them both to Ressies.Then, if I was at the reins, I'd experiment a bit for our remaining games by moving Benny to hooker, Mule to 14. Sloan deserves another crack in his favored position so move the speed merchant Ramsay back to his wing spot. Am still not sold on Sully, he is no organiser. Our club may have jumped the gun extending his contract imo. Give Zack Herring and Josh Coric a taste of first grade. As we are keeping Jayden Hunt he needs a good run in Firsts too.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Once our season is over drop them both to Ressies.Then, if I was at the reins, I'd experiment a bit for our remaining games by moving Benny to hooker, Mule to 14. Sloan deserves another crack in his favored position so move the speed merchant Ramsay back to his wing spot. Am still not sold on Sully, he is no organiser. Our club may have jumped the gun extending his contract imo. Give Zack Herring and Josh Coric a taste of first grade. As we are keeping Jayden Hunt he needs a good run in Firsts too.
I disagree with moving Hunt anywhere other than his playmaking position of no.7

Eric

Staff
As I mentioned some time ago when we were discussing signing new players and why we were not bidding for new players. Well today it was officially revealed that we have a salary cap issue and we have no room at present to add to our 30 man squad. Apparently previous management prior to Griffin had rubber stamped large salary increases for our young future stars such as Amone and Sullivan plus Lomax previously unknown salary has been revealed he signed for $3 m in 2020 for a contract that won't expire until 2026. JDB on 700k until 2024 and Hunt 1.2m so there you have it. Those off contract won't be resigned including my fav Gosiewski but also including Burns, Faamasuli, Ford, Moga and Mcguire we are officially stuffed unless we sell
I don't know this to be true one way or another but have you considered the possibility it's merely News.Ltd running cover for a underperforming coach and his terrible recruitment and retention decisions?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I don't know this to be true one way or another but have you considered the possibility it's merely News.Ltd running cover for a underperforming coach and his terrible recruitment and retention decisions?
That would be unethical

Eric

Staff
That would be unethical
I don't know about the ethics but some parts of the story don't make sense to me.
  • This is almost completely Griffins team. Only Sims is unwanted. The rest he has signed or extended.
  • Sullivan was extended under Griffin's regime and Amone is yet to be extended.
  • Lomax and JDB are on good money, no doubt but to be honest, 700k isn't "huge" money these days. Not "marquee player" money.
  • News.Ltd pushed hard for Griffin to take over because Phil Gould and by extension, Fairfax was against it.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Read this too. Seems the club is paying for wasteful and mindless contracts handed out to Ben Hunt and Zack Lomax, Tariq Sims too. Whatever we pay JDB .. he is worth it. Yet Tele scribe David Riccio suggests to relieve a degree of salary cap pressure our club will need to release both our best player Jack and Lomax.. who on his day and when given space is as good a three quarter as we have in our game. I say the money instead has to come by reducing those on oversized salaries. Make them a new wage offer and those that dont accept piss em off as that shows they lack loyalty to the RedV.
We have to get rid of de Belin and Lomax? I think David Riccio has lost his mind.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I don't know about the ethics but some parts of the story don't make sense to me.
  • This is almost completely Griffins team. Only Sims is unwanted. The rest he has signed or extended.
  • Sullivan was extended under Griffin's regime and Amone is yet to be extended.
  • Lomax and JDB are on good money, no doubt but to be honest, 700k isn't "huge" money these days. Not "marquee player" money.
  • News.Ltd pushed hard for Griffin to take over because Phil Gould and by extension, Fairfax was against it.
700k for a lock is right up there but he's worth it

Eric

Staff
700k for a lock is right up there but he's worth it
Taumololo is on 1 mil and Jake Treboejvic in on 950k. Based on that, I'd say 700k for JDB maybe isn't "a bargain" but his deal is in the clubs favour. Jake Treboejvic is massively overpaid. Cherry-Evens is the highest paid player in the game. Tom Treboejvic is on over a mil a year and spends most of the time on the sideine. Yet News.Ltd wants to make everyone think we have salary cap problems!

You would know better than me but I'm not buying it. I think Griffin is calling in a favour with News.Ltd.

Lomax on 700k is definitely overpaid for what he has done this year.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Taumololo is on 1 mil and Jake Treboejvic in on 950k. Based on that, I'd say 700k for JDB maybe isn't "a bargain" but his deal is in the clubs favour. Jake Treboejvic is massively overpaid. Cherry-Evens is the highest paid player in the game. Tom Treboejvic is on over a mil a year and spends most of the time on the sideine. Yet News.Ltd wants to make everyone think we have salary cap problems!

You would know better than me but I'm not buying it. I think Griffin is calling in a favour with News.Ltd.

North QLD must be in even more trouble based on the very highly paid players they have outside of spine positions.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Do you believe in coincidence? I don't. So nothing has been mentioned in regards to our salary cap issues until the war drums started beating calling for the coaches head especially after the embarrassing 2nd half last week. Whether there is a media conspiracy or cover up well that's a matter for each individual to decide.

Eric

Staff
Do you believe in coincidence? I don't. So nothing has been mentioned in regards to our salary cap issues until the war drums started beating calling for the coaches head especially after the embarrassing 2nd half last week. Whether there is a media conspiracy or cover up well that's a matter for each individual to decide.
Good point. I don't think it's so much a media conspiracy. I just think it's Griffin or one of his assistants leaking the news to friendly media outlets who he hopes publish it without looking to much into it. Griffins knows the media have to fill a 24 hour news cycle these days.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
That would be quite a coincidence. I didn't think about it until now but the timing is very "convenient".

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
North QLD must be in even more trouble based on the very highly paid players they have outside of spine positions.
My information is that the Cowboys are unable fend off any advances to their rising stars unless JT agrees to a pay cut

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Valentime Holmes might need that as well.
He is on a contract until the end of 2025 he and JT will be on 1m each so my old mates in the rl community tell me that they are next to no chance of keeping all their rising stars . A player who plays SOO automatically will attract high offers such as Nanai and Cotter.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
He is on a contract until the end of 2025 he and JT will be on 1m each so my old mates in the rl community tell me that they are next to no chance of keeping all their rising stars . A player who plays SOO automatically will attract high offers such as Nanai and Cotter.
Getting Nanai would be a huge coup but even better would be unearthing our own stars.