Injury and Suspension Updates

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Fears for St George Illawarra Dragons young gun after trial injury​

He could be in for a stint on the sidelines.​

It's unclear whether Max Feagai might have had a spot in St George Illawarra Dragons' best 17 for the 2022 season, but his start to the season looks like it will almost certainly be delayed with fears for a high ankle sprain. Feagai - one half of the talented young brothers at the Dragons - sustained a worrying-looking ankle injury during Sunday evening's trial against the Parramatta Eels.

He was originally tended to by trainers before being aided off the field. Anthony Griffin said in the post game that he thought Feagai had an ankle injury, but was unsure of the extent at the time when talking to Fox League, while also confirming the rest of the team made it through the contest unscathed.

"I think the main one is Max Feagai," Griffin said. "Again, I've just come down (from the coaches box), but it looks like he has a little bit of a problem there with his ankle. "It looks like all the others came through okay. Moses Mbye has a little twitch in his quad so the physio thought it would be best to just get him out of there."

The NRL Physio said there was a likelihood of the injury being a syndesmosis - or a high ankle sprain - which could leave him out for a mimumum of six weeks spending on the grade and whether surgery is required. Feagai was on crutches in the post game.

Eric

Staff

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS TO SIT OUT SIMS FOR CHARITY SHIELD

St George Illawarra Dragons veteran Tariq Sims has been ruled of the annual Charity Shield clash because of a calf complaint. The injury is not expected to sideline Sims long-tern but will mean he will head into the season opener against the Warriors without a pre-season match. The Dragons will also be without Max Feagai and Jayden Sullivan while Moses Mbye is also battling a minor injury.

Too bad Sullivan didn't get a chance in the trials but it's ok. If Amone doesn't tackle much better, Sullivan will likely get a chance sooner rather than later.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons young gun set for long spell on sidelines with injury confirmed​

A big blow for the Dragons.​

The St George Illawarra Dragons have confirmed Max Feagai will be unavailable for selection at the start of the season, with the young gun centre suffering a high-grade syndesmosis injury and fractured fibula.

Feagai was taken from the field during the second half of Sunday evening's trial against the Parramatta Eels. In a statement, the club confirmed the youngster - who was set to fight for a position in the Dragons' best 17 from Round 1 - will miss "an extended period." "Dragons NRL outside back Max Feagai will be out for an extended period due to a fractured fibula and high-grade syndesmosis injury," the statement read. "Feagai, who suffered the double blow in the Dragons' last start trial win over the Eels, is surgery bound. A return-to-play timeframe is yet to be established."

The NRL Physio on Twitter, in explaining the injury, said the usual recovery time is around eight to ten weeks, with the grade of the injury and surgery setting him back from returning. It's a bitter blow for the youngster, who managed four games in first grade last year and struggled throughout with injuries.

He scored two tries in those games, adding 88 metres per game and showing glimpses of his enormous potential, with both Max and brother Mat touted as the future of the club in the outside backs alongside goal-kicking centre Zac Lomax and star fullback Tyrell Sloan.

If Feagai was to return in eight weeks, it would likely mean he would be available for selection once again from Round 6, when the Dragons are slated to play the Knights, with the Anzac Day clash against the Roosters to follow the week after that battle.

It could have been much worse. Hopefully 8 weeks, so 5 rounds. So we'll have McGuire, Fuimanon and Feagai coming back at approximately the same time. I wonder if this means Reuban will be added to the top 30. Still have one backup in the outside backs in his brother. Should be fine. Surely another two won't go down within the first 5~6 weeks of the competition.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons left with three racing clock for Round 1

Will St George Illawarra Dragons be at full strength for Round 1?​

The St George Illawarra Dragons have been left with three questions marks for Round 1 following Zac Lomax going off with a "hip tickle" during Saturday's Charity Shield victory over the South Sydney Rabbitohs in Mudgee.

In a clash the Dragons won - taking home their first Charity Shield since 2012 (although 2015's edition was drawn) - it was only a single injury issue which worried the club, however, added to two pre-existing ones. Lomax, who set up Mikaele Ravalawa for an incredible try towards the end of the first half, was taken from the field with a hip complaint shortly before the main break at a packed Glen Willow Regional Sports Complex. He was seen shortly after the break sitting on the bench with an enormous ice pack on his hip.

Speaking to the media following fulltime however, coach Anthony Griffin said it was just a hip tickle and that he expected him to be fit for Round 1. However, he isn't the only Dragon facing an at best disrupted final few weeks of the pre-season, although it could well end up being that Round 1 is too tough a task. Tariq Sims has been revealed to have a calf problem, while Moses Mbye did a quad injury in last week's trial against the Parramatta Eels and is also racing the clock.

“He [Lomax] had a little tickle in his hip, so we got him out of there and played it safe,” Griffin said. “Tariq [Sims] has the calf, that old man’s disease, he looked right Monday, but by Wednesday they thought he had another nick in there, which he did. Hopefully, he’s ready for round one, along with [Moses] Mbye [quad injury].”

Should the trio miss the opening game of the season - which the Dragons will play against the New Zealand Warriors at the Sunshine Coast on Saturday, March 12. - they would join suspended duo Josh McGuire and Tyrell Fuimaono on the sidelines. Both players are due back in Round 6, with McGuire slapped with a five-week suspension in the final round of the 2021 season, while Fuimaono was hit with his own five-week ban out of last week's trial against Parramatta for a hip drop tackle which ended Haze Dunster's season.

It could mean the Dragons have five players missing the opening week, with all five in contention for spots. The Dragons play the Warriors (away), Panthers (home), Sharks (home), Eels (away) and Rabbitohs (away) in the opening five weeks in what will serve as a difficult start to the season. The club, who have been widely backed as in contention for the wooden spoon, surprised during the charity shield with a victory over last year's grand finalists.

I don't know what a "hip tickle" is but it doesn't sound too bad. As far as I know, both Sims and Mbye could have played if it was in the regular season. So I don't think there is anything to worry about. Though losing Lomax for an extended period would be a huge blow.

Eric

Staff

Full wrap of St George Illawarra Dragons injuries and suspensions​

• Billy Burns (Foot, Round 1)
  • Josh McGuire (Suspension, Round 6)
  • Moses Mbye (Quad, Round 1)
  • Tariq Sims (Calf, Round 1)
  • Jayden Sullivan (Hamstring, Round 2)
  • Tyrell Fuimaono (Suspension, Round 6)
  • Max Feagai (Ankle, Round 11)

In theory I would imagine the injury to Feagai gives Reuben the inside running over Molo for a spot in the squad.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

In theory I would imagine the injury to Feagai gives Reuben the inside running over Molo for a spot in the squad.
Much better than this time last year. Feagai will be required this season but hopefully there won't be any injuries (serious) in the backs before he is back.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Doubt it. There is still Matt Feagai and Moga as backline cover and then in a pinch, Bird could play in the backs. If Reuban were 20, I image he'd be in with an excellent chance of a top 30 contract but he's turning 28 this year.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Doubt it. There is still Matt Feagai and Moga as backline cover and then in a pinch, Bird could play in the backs. If Reuban were 20, I image he'd be in with an excellent chance of a top 30 contract but he's turning 28 this year.
Mbye can also play anywhere in the backline.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
BTW the top 30 is already done. Jaiyden Hunt and Sloan took the last 2 spots. I think Michael Molo and O'Ofuo are on development and deals and Reuben is gone. Seems harsh after his performance in the one trial game. Harsh that he didn't get a chance in the Charity Shield. I wonder if it's as a result of something off the field. Why we didn't want him and why no other club has picked him up before now.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
BTW the top 30 is already done. Jaiyden Hunt and Sloan took the last 2 spots. I think Michael Molo and O'Ofuo are on development and deals and Reuben is gone. Seems harsh after his performance in the one trial game. Harsh that he didn't get a chance in the Charity Shield. I wonder if it's as a result of something off the field. Why we didn't want him and why no other club has picked him up before now.
Is it possible to replace someone in the top 30? I'd love Molo jnr to be in rather than Alvaro for example.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Not unless another club picks that player up or he retires.
ESL is calling Alvaro and maybe Faamausili and Kerr. Well, not all 3 but at least one of the 3. Alvaro is a no-brainer but will any ESL clubs want him? Kerr and Faamausili might see the NRL this year.

Eric

Staff

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Max Feagai (ankle) - Round 11

Moses Mbye (quad) - Round 1

Billy Burns (foot) - Round 2

Tariq Sims (calf) - Round 2

Jayden Sullivan (hamstring) - Round 2

Josh McGuire (suspension) - Round 6

According to News Ltd, Sims wasn't dropped and it's a little early to write an obituary for Burns yet. It'll be interesting to see whether in fact if Sims plays this weekend and whether Burns does in round 2.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Max Feagai (ankle) - Round 11

Moses Mbye (quad) - Round 1

Billy Burns (foot) - Round 2

Tariq Sims (calf) - Round 2

Jayden Sullivan (hamstring) - Round 2

Josh McGuire (suspension) - Round 6

According to News Ltd, Sims wasn't dropped and it's a little early to write an obituary for Burns yet. It'll be interesting to see whether in fact if Sims plays this weekend and whether Burns does in round 2.
Confirms my view he was injured but when he returns it will be off the bench. I dont see Burns making our top 17 unless we have a spate of injuries or suspensions