International Footy.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Was in despair when I read this morning that of the 50 best schoolboys playing in the National Championships this week not a solitary one is affiliated with the Dragons. Blatant greed from News Corp knows no bounds by making us pay to watch these next gen league players. Ditto with the Mathews and Ball matches.
I wouldn't look too much into it. I bet out of those 50, only 10 make it as NRL regulars. I know when I was a schoolboy, most of the most talented players became nothing but several "average" or "a little above average" made it and a few made it relatively big.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
A

H the black pearl born in my neck of the woods in Yorkshire England nearly won the Tigers a premiership in 1988 . He is actually now the England coach
The Black Pearl! Now I remember that nickname. He was a superstar playing centre, 5/8 or lock. Like Jack Bird on hyper-drive.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Junior has handled the playmaking role fairly well. Threw a good cut out pass for Tonga's first try and his defense has been ok. I was also wondering about his shortish kicking too. Most look bomb length. Like to see him take on the line more in second 40.

Tonga will need to improve its mid field defense specially and general reading in defense if they are get back into the contest.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Junior has handled the playmaking role fairly well. Threw a good cut out pass for Tonga's first try and his defense has been ok. I was also wondering about his shortish kicking too. Most look bomb length.

Tonga will need to improve its mid field defense specially and general reading in defense if they are get back into the contest.
Surely the coach has told him to kick like that. Otherwise why would he keep doing it?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Junior has handled the playmaking role fairly well. Threw a good cut out pass for Tonga's first try and his defense has been ok. I was also wondering about his shortish kicking too. Most look bomb length. Like to see him take on the line more in second 40.

It's be good to see what he can do if Tonga get some decent field position. So far the only time they have gotten that, Junior set up a try.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
NZ are dominating field position.
Making the game an anti-climax. It's one way traffic. Might see NZ put another 20 points on in the last 15min. All in all pretty hard to judge Amone. In attack he's had one chance and produced the goods.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Junior copped a knee I suspect when he slipped going for a snipe. A couple of good touches in that half.. neat chip kick and tidied up a few dangerous moments. Moses did all that he had to. Main problem was Tonga lacked possession.. on back foot much of the time defending. Kiwis were too good.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Junior copped a knee I suspect when he slipped going for a snipe. A couple of good touches in that half.. neat chip kick and tidied up a few dangerous moments. Moses did all that he had to. Main problem was Tonga lacked possession.. on back foot much of the time defending.
Hardly any chance at all to see what they can do in attack.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Joey Manu was the Kiwi's best back. Looked to me that he relished the extra room given him as the custodian. Spent most of his time in the line and made good metres from dummy half. Is as big as a forward so breaks tackles too.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
So how do we mark Junior in his first international and as chief playmaker. I say 7/10. I do have to say tho he looks more comfortable as a running 5/8.
Does not look a natural organizer. Suli also a 7/10.
Kicking in general play was his downfall. 6/10. Was pretty difficult for him when Kiwi forwards were on the front foot to such an extent for pretty much the entire game.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
So how do we mark Junior in his first international and as chief playmaker. I say 7/10. I do have to say tho he looks more comfortable as a running 5/8.
Does not look a natural organiser. Big Moses also a 7/10.
Kicking in general play was his downfall. 6/10. Was pretty difficult for him when Kiwi forwards were on the front foot to such an extent for pretty much the entire game.
Based on what he did, not counting how much his teammates helped him out, 5/10. Defence was good. Coach Griffin will be happy about that.
Joey Manu was the Kiwi's best back. Looked to me that he relished the extra room given him as the custodian. Spent most of his time in the line and made good metres from dummy half. Is as big as a forward so breaks tackles too.
He was really good. Didn't realise he could play so well at fullback but as Morgan Morgan eluded to, Kiwi forwards gave him a lot of time and room.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Does not look a natural organiser. Big Moses also a 7/10.
Agree Moses was good. He actually played like he has for the Dragons most of the season; Playing behind a losing forward pack. 7/10

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
You changed your tune then GCRV GCRV.. marking him a 5. Actually I dont agree he is a comfortable playmaker. He was thrust into the playmaking role and to me he he looked uncertain over moving the ball or running with it.. which he does as the Dragons second playmaker..
He started off very well. Got progressively worse as the game went on. Again, he was getting very little help from his forwards but I'm just calling it as I see it. If the Tonga forwards dominated, maybe he would have been a 9 or 10 but I'm talking about what happened, not what might have happened.

That doesn't mean he was really bad. I'd called 5 "average". From 4, "below average".