International Footy.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
It is International footy time this weekend in Sydney and across the ditch in the Land of the Long White Cloud.
  • New Zealand v Tonga in Auckland on Saturday, June 25
  • Pacific double header featuring Samoa v Cook Islands and PNG v Fiji at Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday, June 25..

The pandemic years and before have not been easy for Samoan rugby league, culminating in losing their Pacific Island crown to Tonga.
Samoa has won just one of its last nine matches. The last time they troubled one of the big three was back in the 2014 Four Nations while their last showing was a disastrous 44-18 hiding by Fiji in November 2019. And Samoan RL fortunes wont improve any time soon with a cluster of Australian born but of Samoan decent players to concentrate instead on becoming an Australian Kangaroo for the upcoming World Cup by choosing to play State of Origin. And these blokes are no lower tier rookies or powder puffs with the likes of Brian To'o, Jarome Luai, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui, Josh Papalii and Junior Paulo, who have all worn Samoan blue before to the uncapped Stephen Crichton, Payne Haas and rising star Joseph Suaalii, all eligible for Samoa. That is some man power Samoa is losing. Samoan tho have picked up some fine NRL talent in the Dragons Jaydn Su’A plus Martin Taupau and David Nofoaluma.
In Auckland, Samoan graduates Isaiah Papali'i, Ronaldo Mulitalo and Moses Leota will wear the black and white of New Zealand, along with man mountain Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It is International footy time this weekend in Sydney and across the ditch in the Land of the Long White Cloud.
  • New Zealand v Tonga in Auckland on Saturday, June 25
  • Pacific double header featuring Samoa v Cook Islands and PNG v Fiji at Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday, June 25..

The pandemic years and before have not been easy for Samoan rugby league, having lost their mantle as the Pacific Island R L king to Tonga.
Samoa has won just one of its last nine matches. The last time they troubled one of the big three was back in the 2014 Four Nations while their last showing was a disasterous 44-18 hiding by Fiji in November 2019. And Samoan RL fortunes wont improve any time soon with a cluster of Australian born but of Samoan decent players to concentrate instead on becoming an Australian Kangaroo for the upcoming World Cup by choosing to play State of Origin. And these blokes are no lower tier rookies or powder puffs with the likes of Brian To'o, Jarome Luai, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui, Josh Papalii and Junior Paulo, who have all worn Samoan blue before to the uncapped Stephen Crichton, Payne Haas and rising star Joseph Suaalii, all eligible for Samoa. That is some man power Samoa is losing.
In Auckland, Samoan graduates Isaiah Papali'i, Ronaldo Mulitalo and Moses Leota will wear the black and white of New Zealand, and so will man mountain Nelson Asofa-Solomona.
Would have been good to see Raper, Gasnier and etc taking on the POMs when the teams were evenly matched.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Would have been good to see Raper, Gasnier and etc taking on the POMs when the teams were evenly matched.
It's said they were like wars. I remember when Ellery Hanly almost single handed beat Australia in a series when the gap was thought to be at it's widest. A bit of Ricky Stuart magic got Australia a come from behind victory in the last 2min. Best international game I've ever seen my a fair margin.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
It's said they were like wars. I remember when Ellery Hanly almost single handed beat Australia in a series when the gap was thought to be at it's widest. A bit of Ricky Stuart magic got Australia a come from behind victory in the last 2min. Best international game I've ever seen my a fair margin.
I've heard Ellery Hanly was a really serious player.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
While Samoa is struggling to regain its former Pacific Island glory, its nemesis Tonga is going from strength to strength. Among its lineup for Saturdays match is Kotoni Staggs who will be Tonga's new 5/8 alongside the Dragons Junior Amone, Sea Eagles rookies Christian Tuipulotu and Tolu Koula, plus Parramatta’s Will Penisini and Dragons bullocking centre Moses Suli. In addition they have engine room powerhouses in:
  • Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys)
  • Addin Fonua-Blake (Warriors)
  • Siliva Havili (Rabbitohs)
  • Siosiua Taukieaho (Roosters)
  • Sitili Tupouniua (Roosters)
  • Keaon Koloamatangi (Rabbitohs)

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
While Samoa is struggling to regain its former Pacific Island glory, its nemesis Tonga is going from strength to strength. Among its lineup for Saturdays match is Kotoni Staggs who will be Tonga's new 5/8 alongside the Dragons Junior Amone, Sea Eagles rookies Christian Tuipulotu and Tolu Koula, plus Parramatta’s Will Penisini and Dragons bullocking centre Moses Suli. In adition they have powerhouses in:
  • Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys)
  • Addin Fonua-Blake (Warriors)
  • Siliva Havili (Rabbitohs)
  • Siosiua Taukieaho (Roosters)
  • Sitili Tupouniua (Roosters)
  • Keaon Koloamatangi (Rabbitohs)
That's a really strong team! They might beat NZ.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The Poms beat us regularly in the 50s, so did the French. But once we produced Immortals Raper, Gasnier, Provan plus Changa Langlands, the Thornett brothers, Billy Smith, Ken Irvine, Peter Diamond, Noel Kelly, Ian Walsh, Arthur Summons, the tables were turned and we Aussies were unstoppable and have remained so since. We just seem to have a never ending quality production line.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Junior Amone,
Be interesting to see how Junior handles the half role given I doubt he has ever played there. His time with the Dragons in the halves has been primarily as a running 5/8. He is still learning the intricacies of the position now suddenly he finds himself in the prime playmaking role. Is he ready for the step up.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Be interesting to see how Junior handles the half role given I doubt he has ever played there. His time with the Dragons in the halves has been primarily as a running 5/8. He is still learning the intricacies of the position now suddenly he finds himself in the prime playmaking role. Is he ready for the step up.
Isn't Stags playing 5/8? Amone on the bench.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The game is significant in pertaining to his development.
I'll be tuning in to watch Junior and Suli for Tonga.. also Sua and Molo for Samoa.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
New Zealand team if all the Samoans, Tongans and Fijians played for NZ as they used to do.

1. Joey Manu
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Konti Staggs
  5. Mika Sivo
  6. Dylan Brown
  7. Jarome Hughes
  8. Addin Fanua-Blake
  9. Brandon Smith
  10. James Fischer-Harris
  11. Isaiah Papali
  12. Keaon Koloamatangi
  13. Jason Taumalolo
  14. Joseph Tapine
  15. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
  16. Siliva Havili
  17. Briton Nikora

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
New Zealand team if all the Samoans, Tongans and Fijians played for NZ as they used to do.

1. Joey Manu
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Konti Staggs
  5. Mika Sivo
  6. Dylan Brown
  7. Jarome Hughes
  8. Addin Fanua-Blake
  9. Brandon Smith
  10. James Fischer-Harris
  11. Isaiah Papali
  12. Keaon Koloamatangi
  13. Jason Taumalolo
  14. Joseph Tapine
  16. Siliva Havili
  17. Briton Nikora
That's a really good team no doubt at all but I think Australia might still beat them. They have a few weaknesses. For example:
  • Manu is a better centre than fullback but they don't have a really good fullback.
  • Smith definately needs a break at some point but Havili is a fringe first grader.
  • Suli, Ravalawa and Sivo are serious big wingers and centre but not very fleet of foot. At least compared to who Australia would select.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That's a really good team no doubt at all but I think Australia might still beat them. They have a few weaknesses. For example:
  • Manu is a better centre than fullback but they don't have a really good fullback.
  • Smith definately needs a break at some point but Havili is a fringe first grader.
  • Suli, Ravalawa and Sivo are serious big wingers and centre but not very fleet of foot. At least compared to who Australia would select.
Agree but it'd be a really good game.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

1. Joey Manu
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Konti Staggs
  5. Mika Sivo
  6. Dylan Brown
  7. Jarome Hughes
  8. Addin Fanua-Blake
  9. Brandon Smith
  10. James Fischer-Harris
  11. Isaiah Papali
  12. Keaon Koloamatangi
  13. Jason Taumalolo
  14. Joseph Tapine
  16. Siliva Havili
  17. Briton Nikora
Good team for sure. Australia would beat both but the Tonga - NZ game will be good.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
If Origin weren't so big as is, a four or five way series between NSW, QLD, NZ, Tonga, Fiji would be good. But it won't happen because it would destroy Origin.
Personally I'm a fan of Origin. Just less so this year.