OUR NEXT HEAD COACH

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
As this subject is of vital significance to our club's future it deserves its own thread.

Who is aware of this?
Prior to the appointment of Griffin as head coach, the Dragons board plus Shane Flanagan, who had been banned by the NRL, approached the NRL requesting that the ban be waived so that Flanagan could be appointed head coach at the Dragons. The request was denied and so Griffin was appointed head coach.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: QDF

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Who is aware of this?
Prior to the appointment of Griffin as head coach, Shane Flanagan, who had been banned by the NRL, along with the Dragons board approached the NRL requesting that the ban be waived so that Flanagan could be appointed head coach at the Dragons. The request was denied and so Griffin was appointed head coach.
I remember reading something about that. They need to pull the trigger before pre-season training begins regarding hooking Hook and appointing Flanno.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Flanagan served his ban then was appointed assistant coach to Mary evidently. Then after Mary got the flick and the NRL knocked him back our board appointed Griffin who had been sacked by both the Broncos and the Panthers. Then Flanagan was jettisoned on Griffin's request. Not sure what Flanno's crime was. Anyone else? Only that it was a contrary conduct charge. But given he has served his ban should be free to coach again.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
To agree to become head coach, you'd have to be offered the job. So far Flanagan has had coaching requests turned down by the Bulldogs, Tigers & Warriors. All struggling clubs. He did win a comp with the Sharks so has to be a good coach. So why was he turned down by those clubs and our own?

Last edited:
  • Wow

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Not directing the effort himself but allowing banned pep-tides to be used. His suspension is over now.
I think the ban included
  • Hiring a trainer who was woefully unqualified.
  • The trainer hired a Dr with a history of using banned substances though not exactly PEDs.
  • Allowing breaches of the salary cap including in their GF winning year. If it were a successful club, GF win would have been taken away.
  • After being banned for those things, was found to be ignoring the ban which resulted in it being extended and tightened.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
After being banned for those things, was found to be ignoring the ban which resulted in it being extended and tightened.
That is probably the reason why Flanagan was knocked back in first place. Now he has served his ban, be interested to know if our club has again approached the NRL over reinstating his coaching credentials. Not sure Craig Young would want this, tho as surely he will want his boy to take over the reins if Griffin walks or is pushed. Word is your best friend and mine and club power broker Peter Doust (just chundered) will side with his chairman..

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That is probably the reason why Flanno was knocked back in first place. Interested to know then if our club again tried convincing the NRL to reinstate his coaching credentials.
He is free to become a head coach again now. I believe any restrictions were lifted at the end of last season or beginning of this season.

The bottom line is, the only thing stopping him being signed up as head coach now is the club not wanting that.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
That is probably the reason why Flanagan was knocked back in first place. Now he has served his ban, be interested to know if our club has again approached the NRL over reinstating his coaching credentials. Not sure Craig Young would want this, tho as surely he will want his boy to take over the reins if Griffin walks or is pushed. Word is your best friend and mine and club power broker Peter Doust (just chucked) will side with his chairman..
He is free to become a head coach again now. I believe any restrictions were lifted at the end of last season or beginning of this season.

The bottom line is, the only thing stopping him being signed up as head coach now is the club not wanting that.
I don't think there's a reason next coach has to be Flanagan.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I've got it , lets bring back , Price , Mary , and Brownie ...... What a team ..... and Hook can stay on as well ..... Bring Beale out of retirement again , Macca ,Woods , and there we have a winning formula ......

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I've got it , lets bring back , Price , Mary , and Brownie ...... What a team ..... and Hook can stay on as well ..... Bring Beale out of retirement again , Macca ,Woods , and there we have a winning formula ......
Don't say that in jest, it might be on the cards knowing this club over the last 10 years +.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup

Club chairman and father of our other candidate Dean Young may stymie Flanagan's appointment. As I said he has Doust on his side. Is a tricky situation and a good example of apparent division in the Front Office.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Club chairman and father of our other candidate Dean Young may stymie Flanagan's appointment. As I said he has Doust on his side. Is a tricky situation and a good example of apparent division in the Front Office.
That sounds accurate and not promising. We know how old boys have fared when head coach. Especially rookie coach old boys.
Ok are there any other candidates we can take a look at.
Not unless talking a punt on an someone who is now an assistant coach.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That sounds accurate and not promising. We know how old boys have fared when head coach. Especially rookie coach old boys.

Not unless talking a punt on an someone who is now an assistant coach.
Taking a punt?
  • Michael McGuire
  • Trent Barrett
  • Nathan Brown

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
You want any of those 3 to take over? Why not add:
  • Paul McGregor
  • Steven Price
Forgot about those 2.

No, I absolutely don't want any of them to take over from Hook but just saying there are experienced coaches other than Flanno looking for a head coach job.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Listen lads do not be very surprised if Griffin is shown the door he could be replaced by the current coach of St Helens, Kristian Woolf. I only mention this because his brother Ben Woolf joins our coaching staff next season as pathway coach. Woolf has an impressive resume and an excellent win loss ratio winning 40 from 52 games. Just my views if the peptide controversy stops Flanagan.