OUR NEXT HEAD COACH

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The good money is that he will be given 8-10 matches next season to turn things round.. otherwise sayonara Hook. I dont go with that. He has failed in both his two years. Pay him off and 'hook' him. Besides, the Tigers board did something similar with McGuire and look at what a disaster that has been.
Agree

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The good money is that he will be given 8-10 matches next season to turn things round.. otherwise sayonara Hook. I dont go with that. He has failed in both his two years. Pay him off and 'hook' him. Besides, the Tigers board did something similar with McGuire and look at what a disaster that has been.
I hope you are both wrong. I know they are saying that at Fox Sports but they aren't even claiming to have heard it anywhere. They are just giving their own opinion. Why would they give him 10 rounds rather than 2 or 3? Or if things are inconclusive after 3 rounds, give him 6. For him, it should be scrutiny every week until the team is flying or he is gone. Sounds to me '10 weeks' is just a random number Fox Sports have pulled out of their you know where. Remember this is the organisation which relentlessly pushed his case on the basis Phil Gould doesn't like him.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I hope you are both wrong. I know they are saying that at Fox Sports but they aren't even claiming to have heard it anywhere. They are just giving their own opinion. Why would they give him 10 rounds rather than 2 or 3? Or if things are inconclusive after 3 rounds, give him 6. For him, it should be scrutiny every week until the team is flying or he is gone. Sounds to me '10 weeks' is just a random number Fox Sports have pulled out of their you know where. Remember this is the organisation which relentlessly pushed his case on the basis Phil Gould doesn't like him.
Agree we have the same squad of players, have not yet signed any props that will make us competitive nothing will change as far as I can see but no doubt that they are baulking at the $475k payout especially because if they had not given him an extra season at the beginning of this season he'd be gone. The powers to be that granted the senseless extension will not want to admit they were wrong and embarrassed because their own jobs would come into question

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Agree we have the same squad of players, have not yet signed any props that will make us competitive nothing will change as far as I can see but no doubt that they are baulking at the $475k payout especially because if they had no given him an extra season at the beginning of this season he'd be gone. The powers to be that granted the senseless extension will not want to admit they were wrong and embarrassed
Coric will almost certainly be in the top 30 next year. There's one prop. Lawrie is another. Is Couchman primarily a second rower, prop or lock? I'm not too sure but if he's a lock, I guess JDB will be another prop. Then there is Frank Molo and Jaiyden Hunt. And finally if things get really desperate, Woods and Burgess will still be on the books.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Coric will almost certainly be in the top 30 next year. There's one prop. Lawrie is another. Is Couchman primarily a second rower, prop or lock? I'm not too sure but if he's a lock, I guess JDB will be another prop. Then there is Frank Molo and Jaiyden Hunt. And finally if things get really desperate, Woods and Burgess will still be on the books.
Need a genuine metre eater prop

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I'd say that's just the game of Lawrie and Hunt. F Molo is a bit of both but JDB and Coric are definitely too skillful to be used for just running hard and making metres.
Hunt has to spend a massive off season working on his fitness. If he does that, he might prove to be a phenomenal prop. M. Molo is also a middle forward. Never going to be a superstar but with good coaching and motivation, I think he's a solid first grader.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt has to spend a massive off season working on his fitness. If he does that, he might prove to be a phenomenal prop. M. Molo is also a middle forward. Never going to be a superstar but with good coaching and motivation, I think he's a solid first grader.
Lawrie is learning his trade well and is becoming that consistent mtre eater another 186m albeit against the wooden spoon team. Now we desperately need another larger in build starting prop that can do exactly the same. Then after 20 to 25 min you bring on your smaller more mobile props like Molo. Then we will see a competitive top 8 team.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Lawrie is learning his trade well and is becoming that consistent mtre eater another 186m albeit against the wooden spoon team. Now we desperately need another larger in build starting prop that can do exactly the same. Then after 20 to 25 min you bring on your smaller more mobile props like Molo. Then we will see a competitive top 8 team.
Like Michael Molo? There is nothing small about Frank. Jaiyden Hunt isn't going to transition to being a jockey anytime soon either.

Eric

Staff
Back to the topic of next coach. Personally I can't see any option other than Flanagan. I've heard about this guy Woolf who's been doing great things in the ESL. An interesting prospect but Nathan Brown had an outstanding record in the ESL. So did the current Gold Coast coach. So he's an NRL rookie. One could argue even more of a rookie than a guy who has worked as a NRL assistant.

On top of that, who's to say he wants the job? We know Flanagan wants the job. I think Flanagan will be a good coach if he's given the clipboard. But then again, I thought Griffin would be as well and before him McGregor and before him Price so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Was it only me who was optimistic about Price, McGregor and Griffin when they were first announced?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Back to the topic of next coach. Personally I can't see any option other than Flanagan. I've heard about this guy Woolf who's been doing great things in the ESL. An interesting prospect but Nathan Brown had an outstanding record in the ESL. So did the current Gold Coast coach. So he's an NRL rookie. One could argue even more of a rookie than a guy who has worked as a NRL assistant.

On top of that, who's to say he wants the job? We know Flanagan wants the job. I think Flanagan will be a good coach if he's given the clipboard. But then again, I thought Griffin would be as well and before him McGregor and before him Price so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Was it only me who was optimistic about Price, McGregor and Griffin when they were first announced?
It seems everyone wants Flanagan to be appointed.

Personally I was optimistic about Price because of his success as an assistant. It didn't last for long at all. By the halfway point of his first season I wanted him gone.

I was less enthusiastic about Baldy but at first he seemed to be doing a reasonable job given the rabble he inherited from Price. It took about 2 years, or at least a year and half before I wanted him gone.

I was enthusiastic about Hook building a team from the ground up for prolonged success though I didn't expect him to bring a premiership home. I couldn't have been any more wrong. Instead of building a team from the bottom up, he scoured the NRL for veterans no one else wanted.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
It seems everyone wants Flanagan to be appointed.

Personally I was optimistic about Price because of his success as an assistant. It didn't last for long at all. By the halfway point of his first season I wanted him gone.

I was less enthusiastic about Baldy but at first he seemed to be doing a reasonable job given the rabble he inherited from Price. It took about 2 years, or at least a year and half before I wanted him gone.

I was enthusiastic about Hook building a team from the ground up for prolonged success though I didn't expect him to bring a premiership home. I couldn't have been any more wrong. Instead of building a team from the bottom up, he scoured the NRL for veterans no one else wanted.
Pretty similar to what I thought.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Like Michael Molo? There is nothing small about Frank. Jaiyden Hunt isn't going to transition to being a jockey anytime soon either.
Meant Frank , Michael off the bench and always liked Hunt but to my eye he's years away from a starting prop

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Meant Frank , Michael off the bench and always liked Hunt but to my eye he's years away from a starting prop
I certainly hope Hunt isn't years away from being a starting prop because he's 23 or 24, not 17 or 18. If he's years away, he won't make it.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I certainly hope Hunt isn't years away from being a starting prop because he's 23 or 24, not 17 or 18. If he's years away, he won't make it.
I watched him carefully when he did come on and he is a big unit but some of the lines he ran were very immature to my eye running from right to left instead of straight and he got smashed. I like to see my big props especially inexperienced ones running straight because that is the shortest distance between the two trylines, didn't like him running across the defensive line. His stats for the game were 3 runs for 26m but I like to measure the impact for my props in post contact metres and his were very poor. So unless he improves his lines and how fast he hits the line 2 years away for me

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Flanagan is the obvious choice but this front office management team appears to be quite clueless.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Disagree regarding Hunt. IMO it's just a question of whether he is inherently unable to gain the required stamina to play as he does, or maybe with a little less intensity, for several times longer. If so, he'll never be a regular in first grade.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Disagree regarding Hunt. IMO it's just a question of whether he is inherently unable to gain the required stamina to play as he does, or maybe with a little less intensity, for several times longer. If so, he'll never be a regular in first grade.
Stamina can be trained into him after all he's only young and in my opinion props don't really reach the peak of their performance before 25 yrs of age there is always the exception