OUR NEXT HEAD COACH

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Listen lads do not be very surprised if Griffin is shown the door he could be replaced by the current coach of St Helens, Kristian Woolf. I only mention this because his brother Ben Woolf joins our coaching staff next season as pathway coach. Woolf has an impressive resume and an excellent win loss ratio winning 40 from 52 games. Just my views if the peptide controversy stops Flanagan.
I could be wrong but I think he has agreed to terms with the Dolphins. The plan is to be Bennetts assistant for 2 or 3 years and then take over as head coach.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Listen lads do not be very surprised if Griffin is shown the door he could be replaced by the current coach of St Helens, Kristian Woolf. I only mention this because his brother Ben Woolf joins our coaching staff next season as pathway coach. Woolf has an impressive resume and an excellent win loss ratio winning 40 from 52 games. Just my views if the peptide controversy stops Flanagan.
I really don't see how it's possible not to sack him. It would signal breathtaking incompetence not to. We all know how incompetent the front office is but not sacking Griffin after this fiasco would be taking it too far.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I really don't see how it's possible not to sack him. It would signal breathtaking incompetence not to. We all know how incompetent the front office is but not sacking Griffin after this fiasco would be taking it too far.
If he is sacked he gets $475k and the clubs administrators would have to admit another failure. They don't have a good track record of making admissions when they have got it wrong especially over the last 5 seasons if not longer. My personal opinion is if we don't then we follow the exact path the Tigers did last season and look what they are about to collect

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
If he is sacked he gets $475k and the clubs administrators would have to admit another failure. They don't have a good track record of making admissions when they have got it wrong especially over the last 5 seasons if not longer. My personal opinion is if we don't then we follow the exact path the Tigers did last season and look what they are about to collect
The entire universe can see they have failed again whether they admit it or not. Now it's only a question of whether they are interested in addressing that failure.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Sounds plausible.

Here is a name I am going to throw in the ring. Willie Talau. Has been our Jersey Flegg coach since 2019. Been looking for his record since joining us but this season he has gotten his boys to the finals.. our only grade to achieve this.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Some Twitter talk about Willie from people professionally involved with him saying that he has done an "impressive job" with our Flegg side the past two years. Not sure if that includes this year. But that is encouraging. Also saying the club is looking at him for further projects. So appears I'm not too far off the mark.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Sounds plausible.

Here is a name I am going to throw in the ring. Willie Talau. Has been our Jersey Flegg coach since 2019. Been looking for his record since joining us but this season he has gotten his boys to the finals.. our only grade to achieve this.
May well be a good coach in the future but it's unheard of to go from Jersey Flegg to NRL head coach. He'd have to do an apprenticeship as an assistant coach in the NRL first. Maybe he is going to promoted for next year. I know Jo Dragon mentioned a new pathways coach or head but as far as I know, no new assistant coaches have been hired as yet.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Listen lads do not be very surprised if Griffin is shown the door
The good money is that he will be given 8-10 matches next season to turn things round.. otherwise sayonara Hook. I dont go with that. He has failed in both his two years. Pay him off and 'hook' him. Besides, the Tigers board did something similar with McGuire and look at what a disaster that has been.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
May well be a good coach in the future but it's unheard of to go from Jersey Flegg to NRL head coach.
Probably correct. But lets think outside the box. Picking far more credentialed coaches, Price, Mary and Griffin has been a resounding success, I dont say. Ok give him a crack at one of the remaining assistant coach positions. Talk is he is big on defense. Woolf attack, Talau defense coaches.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Probably correct. But lets think outside the box. Picking far more credentialed coaches, Price, Mary and Griffin has been a resounding success, I dont say. Ok give him a crack at one of the remaining assistant coach positions. Talk is he is big on defense. Woolf attack, Talau defense coaches.
God have mercy, this team needs a decent defence coach.

Woolf has already been appointed to pathways. He won't be an assistant coach next year.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
God have mercy, this team needs a decent defence coach.
One former player on Twitter said he used to play with Willie's son and occasionally Willie would come to their training and run defensive drills.

So Woolf replaces Graham and we are still looking for an attack coach. He in my view is as important as a head coach.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
One former player on Twitter said he used to play with Willie's son and occasionally Willie would come to their training and run defensive drills.

So Woolf replaces Graham and we are still looking for an attack coach. He in my view is as important as a head coach.
Well, they are all important but the head coach is in change of all the assistants so the buck stops with him. At least that's how it's supposed to be.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Too bad they missed out on Barrett but then again, maybe don't need an assistant with such a record of failure in the top job. IMO Browny would have been a massive signing as some kind of pathways guru or assistant but no......

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I could be wrong but I think he has agreed to terms with the Dolphins. The plan is to be Bennetts assistant for 2 or 3 years and then take over as head coach.
Nothing set in stone. There is nothing on the Dolphins website nor anything concrete in media reports going back about a month. So still a chance to nab him from under Bennett's nose. I imagine he will relish being at the same club as his brother and word is he is a fan of the Illawarra .

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Nothing set in stone. There is nothing on the Dolphins website nor anything concrete in media reports going back about a month. So still a chance to nab him from under Bennett's nose. I imagine he will relish being at the same club as his brother and word is he is a fan of the Illawarra region.
Maybe I'm wrong but either way, surely they'll go with Flanagan. He has a record of success. Even when not counting the salary cap scamming and peptides, he still built a consistently strong team. I can't imagine he'd cost that much. And he is already part of the organisation. Would be a seamless transition.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Well, they are all important but the head coach is in change of all the assistants so the buck stops with him. At least that's how it's supposed to be.
Are assistants usually considered for the head job or as once they do their job they are moved on to another attack or defense gig. Perhaps Willie would prefer to stay in head coaching if that is the case.. What 'projects' does our board have in mind for him. We will find out soon I expect.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Are assistants usually considered for the head job or as once they do their job they are moved on to another attack or defense gig. Perhaps Willie would prefer to stay in head coaching if that is the case.. What 'projects' does our board have in mind for him. We will find out soon I expect.
Both Price and McGregor were promoted from assistants to the top job.