OUR NEXT HEAD COACH

Eric

Staff
jodragon40 jodragon40, may I ask a few questions?
  1. How did you feel at first about the appointments of Griffin, McGregor and Price?
  2. If you supported their appointments, how long did it take you to turn off them?
  3. What was the main cause for you going off them?
As far as #3, obviously losing too many games but anything specific? For example, I remember Price kept picking the same team week after week despite them losing or playing very poorly.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
In regards to ex players coaching especially when some of those players previously played with you, in my opinion that is a big no. Various reasons but main one is your judgement can be clouded and once you make that leap from player to coach discipline suffers, and you can no longer be everyone's mate. . I was glad to see Griffin initially because, 1 he was not linked previously to us and 2 his reputation for discipline and nurturing young talent. I went off Griffin after the BBQ incident because to me that clearly showed to me a lack of respect and discipline by a group of players and since then although handicapped because of our salary cap freeze his inability to repeat his nurturing of our young stars.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I went off Griffin after the BBQ incident because to me that clearly showed to me a lack of respect and discipline by a group of players and since then although handicapped because of our salary cap freeze his inability to repeat his nurturing of our young stars.
Never thought of it that way. Always considered it just plain old stupidity.

Eric

Staff
In regards to ex players coaching especially when some of those players previously played with you, in my opinion that is a big no. Various reasons but main one is your judgement can be clouded and once you make that leap from player to coach discipline suffers, and you can no longer be everyone's mate. . I was glad to see Griffin initially because, 1 he was not linked previously to us and 2 his reputation for discipline and nurturing young talent. I went off Griffin after the BBQ incident because to me that clearly showed to me a lack of respect and discipline by a group of players and since then although handicapped because of our salary cap freeze his inability to repeat his nurturing of our young stars.
Makes sense for Griffin. McGregor played way before any of his team. I think chinless played a few games in reserve grade around the same time as McGregor.
Never thought of it that way. Always considered it just plain old stupidity.
I always put it down to arrogance and stupidity. Now JoDragon mentions it, it seems I was stupid to not look into it deeper.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Need a coach who can change the culture completely.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Makes sense for Griffin. McGregor played way before any of his team. I think chinless played a few games in reserve grade around the same time as McGregor.

I always put it down to arrogance and stupidity. Now JoDragon mentions it, it seems I was stupid to not look into it deeper.
Culture is difficult to change sometimes impossible

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
As long as it's established that this netherworld between mediocrity and outright poorness can't quickly become a thing of the past.
It'll take a year to become serious contenders. I mean, if Flanagan comes in and has the team firing and recruits smartly, lets the right players go and recruits the right ones, in the second year of that regime the team will be serious contenders.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
It'll take a year to become serious contenders. I mean, if Flanagan comes in and has the team firing and recruits smartly, lets the right players go and recruits the right ones, in the second year of that regime the team will be serious contenders.
Is that all? Sounds so easy......

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Seems FO has told Anthony Griffin that he can like it or lump it re having assistants. Just announced as his second assistant is Ryan Carr who now joins Ben Wolf. The latter is interesting, just 32, has coached at a couple of NRL cubs and I understand he was also head coach of England side Featherstone Rovers. Talk is he will be groomed as head coach down the track.
Before this, I'd never heard of with of them. Not a bad thing. Those type are often the best kind of assistants.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Before this, I'd never heard of with of them. Not a bad thing. Those type are often the best kind of assistants.
He is currently assistant to Brad Arthur at the Eels.

At only 32 and having already coached for several years, is telling me he did not have a meritorious NRL career. Dont they say that those that can not do, teach. Often they make the best coaches too.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
My first choice would be Flanagan to take over but Des Hasler looks like he is going to be available for next year as well. He'd be my pick after Flanagan.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Mr Teflon Anthony Griffin's position is "safe" despite continual rumblings in the dressing room with our two most promising backs Jayden Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan again seeking a release. Why is Griffin's position safe when he has failed to take us to the finals two years on the trot. Had a chuckle when I read that Griffin was employed due to his 'focus on defense and discipline.' Really Mr Teflon then why did we miss more tackles than any other club (938) and averaged four more missed tackles per game than the wooden spooners .
and why did we have the most sin bins and send-offs in the NRL with 12 players spending time on the sideline mid-game. If this poor excuse for a footy coach is to stay then he must be given no more than 10 matches next season to prove he deserves to remain. This is imperative, we need to have a replacement ready to step into his place pronto to give us a seamless transition.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
This is crystal clarity into the toxic culture pervading our club with only three players attending our end of season presentation nite on Tuesday. Naturally the ego man attended as he was awarded player of the year.. who else. Also there were Zac 'starved of ball[' Lomax and Michael Molo. CEO Webb tried to fob off the non attendance with "it was a scheduling mishap".

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Mr Teflon Anthony Griffin's position is "safe" despite continual rumblings in the dressing room with our two most promising backs Jayden Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan again seeking a release. Why is Griffin's position safe when he has failed to take us to the finals two years on the trot. Had a chuckle when I read that Griffin was employed due to his 'focus on defense and discipline.' Really Mr Teflon then why did we miss more tackles than any other club (938) and averaged four more missed tackles per game than the wooden spooners .
and why did we have the most sin bins and send-offs in the NRL with 12 players spending time on the sideline mid-game. If this poor excuse for a footy coach is to stay then he must be given no more than 10 matches next season to prove he deserves to remain. This is imperative, we need to have a replacement ready to step into his place pronto to give us a seamless transition.
Because it's Craig Young's job to make these calls. At least present the facts to the BoD and recommend sacking him immediately. But he doesn't....

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Because it's Craig Young's job to make these calls. At least present the facts to the BoD and recommend sacking him immediately. But he doesn't....
Craig Young has had too many head knocks and really needs to be retired. Get someone in with aggression, ambition and a little ruthlessness.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I hate to defend Hook but in this case I will. Some of those sin-binnings were really poor on the refs part. Su'a in the game against Penrith, I think in round 2, was utterly absurd. Sims also, I think in his last game. He was sin binned for a really minor thing but then sin binned again for something for which he probably should have been sent off for.

I think Hook has done enough bad things that we don't need blame him for things out of his control.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Chris that is pure conjecture. You a fly on the wall at BOD meetings. Ever think that his chairmanship is being compromised by democracy at work- the vote.