jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Sloan
  2. Lobb
  3. Suli
  4. Feagai (it's a trial and we know what Lomax brings to the table)
  5. Rav
  6. Sullivan
  7. Mbye (it's a trial and we know what Hunt brings to the table)
  8. Woods (it's a trial and we know what Lawrie brings to the table)
  9. Mulheisen
  10. Molo
  11. Sua
  12. Murdoch Masila
  13. J. Hunt (it's a trial and we know what JDB brings to the table)

14. Coric
  15. Shereb
  16. Egan
  17. Couchman x 2
  18. Finau x 2
  19. Johnson
  20. Burns
I disagree totally with your assumption that this is just a trial. We are playing for a trophy, for charity, it's a big thing to me being involved in the game. This is exactly the mindset we need to get rid of, nothing personal here, every game is important especially this one it's our last hit out before the comp starts we need to see how combinations are going we need to see the mindset of the individual players and the team as a whole including the coaching staff. We nerd to see how are new signings are fitting in to our style of play and our less than desirable culture. This is it then a bye then the Titans. This season has been the least number of trial games we have played. Last night we saw we are not match fit both physically and mentally. We need a winning start to the season or we will quickly find ourselves out of the running for a top 8 spot by round 12. Just my view

Eric

Staff
  1. Sloan
  2. Lobb
  3. Suli
  4. Feagai (it's a trial and we know what Lomax brings to the table)
  5. Rav
  6. Sullivan
  7. Mbye (it's a trial and we know what Hunt brings to the table)
  8. Woods (it's a trial and we know what Lawrie brings to the table)
  9. Mulheisen
  10. Molo
  11. Sua
  12. Murdoch Masila
  13. J. Hunt (it's a trial and we know what JDB brings to the table)

14. Coric
  15. Shereb
  16. Egan
  17. Couchman x 2
  18. Finau x 2
  19. Johnson
  20. Burns
I disagree totally with your assumption that this is just a trial. We are playing for a trophy, for charity, it's a big thing to me being involved in the game. This is exactly the mindset we need to get rid of, nothing personal here, every game is important especially this one it's our last hit out before the comp starts we need to see how combinations are going we need to see the mindset of the individual players and the team as a whole including the coaching staff. We nerd to see how are new signings are fitting in to our style of play and our less than desirable culture. This is it then a bye then the Titans. This season has been the least number of trial games we have played. Last night we saw we are not match fit both physically and mentally. We need a winning start to the season or we will quickly find ourselves out of the running for a top 8 spot by round 12. Just my view
So there!:cool:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Fair enough. So you think that backline and that forward pack is going to be competitive this year? I disagree. Need to try some new things and if not now, when? Why no JDB?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Fair enough. So you think that backline and that forward pack is going to be competitive this year? I disagree. Need to try some new things and if not now, when? Why no JDB?
No that is what I am saying they are not going to be competitive I said we will finish 12th this year fingers crossed. JDB is injured our best forward injured during pre season training a calf issue, that should never happen if we had correct physical assessment of our players. We are so unprofessional and yes these things can occur but you need processes in place to ensure you do not cause self inflicted injuries to players at bloody training or gym sessions. Sorry I'm a bit fired up because I believe that this season is going to be a disaster and nobody in authority is saying that we have any issues. It's just aa recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
No that is what I am saying they are not going to be competitive I said we will finish 12th this year fingers crossed. JDB is injured our best forward injured during pre season training a calf issue, that should never happen if we had correct physical assessment of our players. We are so unprofessional and yes these things can occur but you need processes in place to ensure you do not cause self inflicted injuries to players at bloody training or gym sessions.
So if the team you picked isn't going to be competitive, why stick with it? Why not give some young players a chance?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So if the team you picked isn't going to be competitive, why stick with it? Why not give some young players a chance?
If you have the coach, a board and in general the whole management team saying things like no culture issue, no player issues, no coaching issues then nothing will be allowed to change. Griffin is an old school coach and nobody is going to pull him on and as we have witnessed over the last 2 seasons he has a penchant for not giving our younger players a chance, that won't change this year or until he is shown the door.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
If you have the coach, a board and in general the whole management team saying things like no culture issue, no player issues, no coaching issues then nothing will be allowed to change. Griffin is an old school coach and nobody is going to pull him on and as we have witnessed over the last 2 seasons he has a penchant for not giving our younger players a chance, that won't change this year or until he is shown the door.
I agree with that which is why I'm in favour of resting veterans who we know for some talented young players who are an unknown quantity.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I agree with that which is why I'm in favour of resting veterans who we know for some talented young players who are an unknown quantity.
I would normally agree and I'm sure we will have an extended bench but this is it. In any other pre season year you would have expected 3 or 4 trial games. In my view and using my experience we will be underdone for our 1st game in round 2

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I would normally agree and I'm sure we will have an extended bench but this is it. In any other pre season year you would have expected 3 or 4 trial games. In my view and using my experience we will be underdone for our 1st game in round 2
Why would you normally agree but not now? Because of only 2 trails? I think that's all the more reason to rest some known quantities in favour of talented young players.

Eric

Staff
Why would you normally agree but not now? Because of only 2 trails? I think that's all the more reason to rest some known quantities in favour of talented young players.
Surely there should be a balance. Like pick the best side possible for a half and then give young players a chance. Give Jackson Shereb the ball and tell him to run! This guy has all the talent in the world but seems to have a real knack for disappearing when he is on the filed.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Sorry I'm a bit fired up because I believe that this season is going to be a disaster and nobody in authority is saying that we have any issues. It's just aa recipe for disaster.
Sorry to say but I agree. Going on last nite's showing tho I reckon our defense will be an improvement. And our greatest defender JDB was not even on the paddock. Loved that whack Blocker Lawrie gave their big Pacific Islander prop.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Sorry to say but I agree. Going on last nite's showing tho I reckon our defense will be an improvement. And our greatest defender JDB was not even on the paddock. Loved that whack Blocker Lawrie gave their big Pacific Islander prop.
Surely there should be a balance. Like pick the best side possible for a half and then give young players a chance. Give Jackson Shereb the ball and tell him to run! This guy has all the talent in the world but seems to have a real knack for disappearing when he is on the filed.
I agree as well which is why I'm in favour of resting Lawrie, JDB, Lomax and Hunt for the Charity Shield because we know who they are going to play against strong opposition but not so for Couchmans, Coric, Lobb, Shereb.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Online defence was woeful and if you watch the tries again the defensive line is failing to cover from inside out when they are sliding. This means two things they are late to arrive to cover the step or pass back inside or secondly our defensive structure is again wanting. Our completion rate was where it needs to be but we did very little with and there was little or no structure to the attack. Lomax and Suli whilst out there received poor service because we were so slow. Missed tackles 28 again good where we need to be. But our attacking structure was woeful, 1 offload all game, 1 seriously? I said in another post we need to get more players around the ball last night nothing has changed. We avg less than 40m going forward and post contact mtrs was poor. No sugar coating this we could possibly finish lower than my prediction of 12th.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I agree as well which is why I'm in favour of resting Lawrie, JDB, Lomax and Hunt for the Charity Shield because we know who they are going to play against strong opposition but not so for Couchmans, Coric, Lobb, Shereb.
Play a fit JDB. Make him skipper if Hunt does not play. The Finau brothers too and play maker Zac Herring.

What a drongo is Josh Kerr. Says he is determined to turn round his ordinary form and illdiscipline, this season. So what does he do, smashes a Maori big man with an illegal shoulder charge and may miss several early games.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well the 1st round of trial games done and dusted, most clubs took the advantage of playing their fringe players and those playing for contracts. In reality this game shows what depth each club will have this season. Next week's games apart from those injured or suspended you should see each teams probable starting 17 plus the reserve reserves so players ranked 18 - 25. I use these games to gauge how a teams attacking and defensive structures have changed or improved, players positional changes, and any improvements in the individual players. The Charity Shield is in my view important to kick start or at the very least lay the foundation of our season. I just hope last week effort isn't going to be the norm.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Online defence was woeful and if you watch the tries again the defensive line is failing to cover from inside out when they are sliding. This means two things they are late to arrive to cover the step or pass back inside or secondly our defensive structure is again wanting. Our completion rate was where it needs to be but we did very little with and there was little or no structure to the attack. Lomax and Suli whilst out there received poor service because we were so slow. Missed tackles 28 again good where we need to be. But our attacking structure was woeful, 1 offload all game, 1 seriously? I said in another post we need to get more players around the ball last night nothing has changed. We avg less than 40m going forward and post contact mtrs was poor. No sugar coating this we could possibly finish lower than my prediction of 12th.
Perhaps I should have clarified that our middle defense had improved. Yes our goal line tackling was poor specially late in the game when they over ran us. To be fair the chopping and changing from the large bench negated any cohesion, attack and defense. Our offense and defense coaches will pinpoint the players that need work and the players that only need to continue doing what they have been.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree. Perhaps not a fit JDB. Make him skipper if Hunt does not play. The Finau brothers too and play maker Zac Herring. What a drongo is Josh Kerr. Says he is determined to turn round his ordinary recent form, this season. So what does he do, smashes a Maori big man with an illegal shoulder charge and may miss several early games.
And that is exactly the culture we have in our club. It starts with self discipline, then you have to buy into building connections both on and off the park with your fellow teamates. At the moment our club and its deplorable culture is look after yourself 1st and don't worry about any punishment for any actions on or off the field just chill and do as you please there will be no ramifications. Until we instill discipline, change the culture and ensure that there are consequences for your actions we are no chance of being competitive on the field.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I am for this. It is a trial so a loss wont affect points. Having a half and half will show our assistant coaches exactly what the gulf is between our regulars and our juniors. The latter may surprise as there certainly is some talent among them.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
And that is exactly the culture we have in our club. It starts with self discipline, then you have to buy into building connections both on and off the park with your fellow teamates. At the moment our club and its deplorable culture is look after yourself 1st and don't worry about any punishment for any actions on or off the field just chill and do as you please there will be no ramifications. Until we instill discipline, change the culture and ensure that there are consequences for your actions we are no chance of being competitive on the field.
We tried that Jo, the infamous BBQ and lost one of our best props and copped unwarranted flack for months after, which must have been a big hit to our morale and form. IT is the people running this once great club that are the ones creating the worst culture.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Perhaps I should have clarified that our middle defense had improved. Yes our goal line tackling was poor specially late in the game when they over ran us. To be fair the chopping and changing from the large bench negated any cohesion, attack and defense. Our offense and defense coaches will pinpoint the players that need work and the players that only need to continue doing what they have been.
You still have to have quality players we do not have quality players who will be knocking on Brad Fittlers door to be selected for the Blues or the cane toads. Hunt is the exception, perhaps Lomax if he has a breakout year, but age will start catching up with Hunt especially if he is required to start every attacking play. He will have a bigger target on his back and needs a protector in the defensive line and someone, anyone on the other side of the ruck also with the ability to create and execute our attacking structures.