Promising Juniors Thread.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I see a lot of Fifita too... only he doesnt have the height I suspect.. I think maybe he is a prop in time.. maybe just need to see how he grows as hes only 17... not sure how well he would handle it etc.. and also I think forwards thesedays are all about getting to their belly quickly, so he might need to adjust as he goes up the grades instead of trying to carry them.. but we shall see.. there is a place for both.

He's a hell of a unit.. won nearly everything this year... of course hes still got a couple of teenage years left yet and we gotta keep him happy.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I see a lot of Fifita too... only he doesnt have the height I suspect.. I think maybe he is a prop in time.. maybe just need to see how he grows as hes only 17... not sure how well he would handle it etc.. and also I think forwards thesedays are all about getting to their belly quickly, so he might need to adjust as he goes up the grades instead of trying to carry them.. but we shall see.. there is a place for both.

He's a hell of a unit.. won nearly everything this year... of course hes still got a couple of teenage years left yet and we gotta keep him happy.
Only 17. Hopefully grows another couple of cms. Otherwise might be a good lock.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Jake's already 18, he's finished growing.
He's bulid will depend on what position he plays. We need to upgrade him and lock him up before we lose him.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well I went to Pizzey Park and watched the one sided game. Our young forwards were just far too big strong and fast for the frogs end score 56 - 6 which is a shame but highlights the fall of the French from their dizzying heights of the 60s.

Young Halangahu was very good, many strong runs and scored a meat pie as well. He is promising but in my time I've seen it all before. He reminded me of a young David Fifita in the way he plays on the edge with his damaging runs and ability to offload. You have to temper your praise and enthusiasm for the youngster because of the poor quality of that opposition.

Would I keep him? Yes, don't forget he is only 17

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
It seems the past coaches Like Mary , Hook not sure about Flanno yet , seem to be reluctant to give them ago because they were and are worried about keeping their jobs so hence the journey men players ......... So as I see it existing coach , if they have another season like they did he will be replaced ........
That's the way it seems but coaches have to submit plans to the board. To go in and say something like, "I'm going to recruit Eisenhuth and RFF and keep Couchman's in reserve grade for most of the year." And to do it over and over. Who was keeping Robson out of first grade? What about Luicano before he went on his tour of Australia? It shouldn't fly. Surely Craig Young wasn't beaten around the head so much as to think recruiting McGuire, Lafai, Macca was a good idea instead of loading up to poach a few young players from other clubs.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
He's bulid will depend on what position he plays. We need to upgrade him and lock him up before we lose him.
Not so much height, but how thicc is he gonna get in the next few years.. might decide whether he needs to be a glenn lazarus type bloke with a low centre of gravity whos going to walk thru the defensive line.. or is he going to stay agile enough to handle 2nd row?

I feel like its important.. cause if hes trying to make it as a prop, its a tougher proposition I imagine.. brutal in there.. and then hes up against Tonga and Latu and those ilk, even though he must have just hit 18 those boys would still have 12-18mths on him.

Rly want to see him play Flegg next year.. I dont want to diss.. but hes dominating these younger age grades, but rly need to see him reset, have a preseason... and get into the weekly grind against bigger bodies and see if he can still be a real point of difference... hopefully we will be able to judge him mid 2025 and make a call.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Two of the most impressive aspects of Jacob footy is his ability to hit the correct line, it shows he's got footy IQ & his ability to drive through tackles, helping us with PCM. I don't think he's got the acceleration of a Fifita but he's defs already covered him in mongrel, IQ & leadership. I see his style of play as a shorter AFB, especially with his leg drive & similar to a Paul Gallen who Flanno loved.

Surely we're not dumb enough to lose him. It looks like he has a good relationship with Kyle Stanley, Willie Talau & other younger players. I hope we lean into that connection when trying to extend him. He looks like the perfect Flanno player. Looks like he's signed until end of 2025. Do you know when we would likely start negotiations with his management?

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
  • Tyrone Amone is the cousin of Junior Amone, isn't he?
Viliami Amone I'm told is out of age for SG Ball, the fact that we havent see him in Flegg I think must indicate he isnt moving forward, not sure on Tyrone yet.. I guess we will see how he progresses in his 2nd year.

And then Api Amone has popped up in the HM list.. a lot of footy players out of that family!

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
  • Tyrone Amone is the cousin of Junior Amone, isn't he?
  • Taj Barrett any relation to Trent?
  • Sonny McGregor any relation to Paul?

Yes
Taj and Cooper are related but not to Trent, his kids are Halle and Bohden.
Sonny Macgregor* is a country boy.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Surely we're not dumb enough to lose him. It looks like he has a good relationship with Kyle Stanley, Willie Talau & other younger players. I hope we lean into that connection when trying to extend him. He looks like the perfect Flanno player. Looks like he's signed until end of 2025. Do you know when we would likely start negotiations with his management?

I think we are, Kyle and Willie are pathways and have no say in top 30 recruitment.
He is contract till 26 but we need to be upgrading him rather than giving SL contracts to journey men.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Not so much height, but how thicc is he gonna get in the next few years.. might decide whether he needs to be a glenn lazarus type bloke with a low centre of gravity whos going to walk thru the defensive line.. or is he going to stay agile enough to handle 2nd row?

Jake with his mum and dad and Charlotte Basham.
They best indication that he has finished growing.
img_1_1728453109306.jpg

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg

This is the ILLAWARRA part, Lots of missing info, let me know.

STEELERS SG BALL CUP SQUAD 2025
Tyrone AmoneIllawarra JNR + Illawarra Sports High2nd Row /Prop
Kye AndrewsIllawarra JNRFullback
Axel AntonyIllawarra JNRHooker / Lock
Hudson BaileyIllawarra JNRLock
Beau BaldockIllawarra JNRFive-Eighth
Cooper BarrettIllawarra JNRWing
Joshua BoicheskiIllawarra JNRProp
Lucas BorgIllawarra JNRFullback / Wing
Brodie BreakspearIllawarra JNRHooker/ Five Eight
Ryder BrownIllawarra JNR2nd row
Hayden BuchananIllawarra JNRcentre
Dreau ClarkIllawarra JNR2nd row
Finn EganIllawarra JNRWing
Thomas EirthIllawarra JNR
Joseph EltonMonaro Colts2nd ROW
Aaymon FitzgibbonIllawarra JNRFive-Eighth
Charlie HeidkeIllawarra JNRcentre
Ben JacksonIllawarra JNRProp
Kapene KaraitianaNSW CountryProp
Ezekiel KennedyIllawarra JNRcentre
Tom KirkIllawarra JNRFullback / Wing
James KunklerIllawarra JNRLock
Drew LangdonIllawarra JNR2nd row
Letham ManagoIllawarra JNRProp
Levi McGuinnessWest TigersWinger
Daniel MeafouIllawarra JNRLock
Max Morgan
Thomas Nelson
Jye NightingaleIllawarra JNRLock
Noah ParkerIllawarra JNRHooker
Mason PhilipsQLD + Canterbury BulldogsHooker
Riley PlekanIllawarra JNRWing
Kade ReedIllawarra JNR1/2back
Likamani RichterIllawarra JNR2nd row
Jett RorieIllawarra JNR2nd row
Connor Saddler
Saifiti Junior SaifitiQLD + Ipswich jetsWing
Jackson SmithNorthern TigersFive-Eighth
Jack TalbottIllawarra JNRFullback
Zechariah TaufaIllawarra JNRProp
Zane TimminsIllawarra JNRcentre / Five Eight
Malokai TomoIllawarra JNRcentre
Leeroy WeatherallIllawarra JNRPROP
Hayden WhatmanNSW CountryPROP
STEELERS HAROLD MATTHEWS CUP SQUAD 2025
Api AmoneIllawarra JNR
Mason AndrewsPenrith JNR + Kiama High SchoolLock / Centre
Dylan BagnallIllawarra JNR
Jaxon BallingerIllawarra JNRFullback
Jordan BarlowIllawarra JNRFive-Eighth
Taj BarrettIllawarra JNR2nd row
Jett BrookfieldIllawarra JNR1/2 Back
Oliver BurtonIllawarra JNRFullback
Asher ChapmanIllawarra JNR1/2 Back
Kahuitara Te Ra ChaseIllawarra JNRFive-Eighth
Callum CooneyIllawarra JNR
Finn DavyIllawarra JNR2nd row
Hunter FangupoIllawarra JNR
Logan FenwickIllawarra JNRProp
Jack GoulderIllawarra JNRWing / Centre / Fullback
Arlan GroseIllawarra JNR1/2 Back
Samuel GuevaraIllawarra JNRProp
Harry HertschIllawarra JNR
Taylor HumphriesIllawarra JNR1/2back
Darcy LarkinIllawarra JNRHooker
Benjamin LevyIllawarra JNRcentre
Sonny MacGregorWestern Ramscentre
Cruz McGuinnessIllawarra JNR + ManlyProp
Creighton MeafouIllawarra JNR2nd row
Ashton MooreIllawarra JNRLock
Cooper MorrisonIllawarra JNRcentre / Fullback
Levii PochingIllawarra JNR
Lacom PochingIllawarra JNR
Mace ScofieldIllawarra JNRLock
Ashton TsagalasCamdencentre
D'rtanyon VaivaiQLD + Ipswich jets2nd Row
Tom VoaseIllawarra JNR2nd row

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
I assumed you had your feet up for the off-season AyiosYiorgos AyiosYiorgos , clearly not, thankyou once again!
Nah was looking forward to doing this, get to read about some of the juniors coming through, catch some highlights while searching for them, we may not have great backs coming through now, but some of these junior guys in the backs are looking good, Phoenix Johns, Malokai Tomo looking forward to their development..