Recruitment and Retention for 2023

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Remember when Amone first played in the NRL? Like his first 2 games? He was running the ball and really causing trouble for the opposition. I remember v Penrith, who went on to win the competition, Greg Alexander said, "this kid (Amone) is dynamite". Then last year he put the running game away and had been average at best ever since.
It must be directions from the coach that he should pass more and run less. Ditto for JDB and the offloads.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Remember when Amone first played in the NRL? Like his first 2 games? He was running the ball and really causing trouble for the opposition. I remember v Penrith, who went on to win the competition, Greg Alexander said, "this kid (Amone) is dynamite". Then last year he put the running game away and had been average at best ever since.
Sully is a better runner of the ball , but we wont see that under Hook ....,.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
If Hunt decides he doesn't want to hang around without Griffin, I wonder if Sam Walker will be available and if so, if he's worth chasing.
Trent Robinson, Nick Politis and other Roosters cheats were on hand to watch Sully go up against Sam Walker. Based on the results, we shouldn't be worried about signing Sam Walker but keeping Sullivan. He's a far better player in every facet of the game as far as I can see. But what would I know?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Not often I disagree with you Illusion Illusion. When Amone takes on the defense not only does he have an elusive step and pace but, over Sully he has added bulk to bust tackles too. If Brandy Alexander and other former players rate Amone , that will do me.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Not often I disagree with you Illusion Illusion. When Amone takes on the defense not only does he have an elusive step and pace but, over Sully he has added bulk to bust tackles too. If Brandy Alexander and other former players rate Amone , that will do me.
That was the case when Amone first hit first grade. Not at all recently. I blame the coach, not Amone.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
It must be directions from the coach
No doubt in my mind too. Griffin saw Hunt could not organise a piss up in a brewery so instructed Amone to put away his running game and develop his passing game. I reckon Junior has the ability to use both skills in combo. Perhaps a new coach will concur.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
If Hunt remains, I can see other clubs sniffing around Sully as he is not entirely devoid of ball skills, saw him put Max Feagai into a gap in the Bears Ressie game. Held it up expertly. He also threw a few hospital passes, so a mixed bag from him. Both he and Amone have a clever short kicking game.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
No doubt in my mind too. Griffin saw Hunt could not organise a piss up in a brewery so instructed Amone to put away his running game and develop his passing game. I reckon Junior has the ability to use both his running and passing game in combo. Perhaps a new coach will concur.
That makes a lot of sense. I can't think of any other good reason he's put away his running game. Other than just lost confidence.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
If Hunt remains, I can see other clubs sniffing around Sully as he is not entirely devoid of ball skills, saw him put Max Feagai into a gap in the Bears Ressie game. Held it up expertly. He also threw a few hospital passes, so a mixed bag from him. Both he and Amone have a clever short kicking game.
Agree. I can't see both Sullivan and Amone staying if Hunt sees out his contract. It might be for the better. If Hunt stays, need a good, organising 5/8 to compliment hIm. Not necessarily ball runners as talented as Sully and Junior.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Rea

Junior's running stats in his three Ressie games are double his stats for Firsts. So that clinches it that Griffin is the problem and that he has deliberately hamstrung Junior's major asset to help his QLD buddy.
Well, there you have it. Hook destroying the capability of the team and his own career in order to make Ben Hunt happy. Bizarre but that's what it looks like.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Mate respect your opinion , but for me Sullivan would win it over Amone ......

DragonsTragic

SGI Jersey Flegg
A bit of maturity and class from Bud:

‘I really feel for him’ – Jayden Sullivan’s message for Sam Walker after reserve grade showdown​

It was supposed to be Sam Walker’s time to shine, but the Roosters playmaker was overshadowed by Dragons guns Jayden Sullivan and Treigh Stewart as St George Illawarra scored a 30-18 reserve grade win over the Tricolours at Wentworth Park on Sunday.
After starting the season with three wins and three losses, the 52 game Walker was dropped to reserve grade for the Roosters’ Anzac Day clash with the Dragons on Tuesday.
Despite going up 12-0 after just seven minutes, Walker endured a frustrating afternoon as the Dragons fought back to score the next 26 points and claim their second win of the season.
Walker’s woes were summed up in the final minutes of the match when he was put through a gap, and looked set to score under the posts, but the pass was called forward.

Meanwhile, Dragons playmaker Sullivan slotted three conversions and played a key role in mounting the Red V’s comeback.
Sullivan, who played the first three games of the NRL season at five-eighth alongside Ben Hunt before Talatau Amone’s return, made a point of speaking to Walker after fulltime.
“I just said to your head up and keep going, because I know it’s pretty tough,” Sullivan told CODE Sports.
“He’s obviously played a bit more first grade than I have, but I’ve been in his position as well.
“I really feel for him. There’s a lot of pressure on that kid’s shoulders and he’ll probably dwell on it a little bit.
“He’s a competitor and he competed for 80 minutes today and made me a better player as well.”

Sullivan and fullback Stewart were constant dangers for the Dragons, who took a 22-12 lead into the sheds, and scored in the first minute after halftime as the Roosters’ former Origin forward Nathan Brown was in the sin bin.
A converted try to Roosters centre Ethan Clark-Wood in the 62nd minute narrowed the gap to six points, but Dragons winger Alexander Lobb sealed it with a try in the corner with 14 minutes remaining.
“I just told the boys to stay in the fight,” Sullivan said of the Dragons’ slow start. “Footy can change really fast, and it did.
“We just stuck to the game plan, kicked for the corners, didn’t make errors and we went into the half with a lead.
“At halftime, we had a really strong emphasis on starting fast, and we scored the first points after the break.
“We made it hard for ourselves by dropping the ball a lot in the second half, but that’s footy sometimes when you’re playing reserve grade. It’s something we’ve gotta fix up.

While Sullivan was a standout as the Dragons moved to eighth on the ladder, he’s still looking for consistency ahead of next weekend’s clash with the second-placed Bulldogs.
“I let that game get away from me a little bit in the second half there,” he said.
“I’ve just gotta stay in the moment, and stay present. I can’t live off one half of footy and hope that gets me back into first grade.
“I’ve gotta string two halves and some games together to get back there.”

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
A bit of maturity and class from Bud:

‘I really feel for him’ – Jayden Sullivan’s message for Sam Walker after reserve grade showdown​

It was supposed to be Sam Walker’s time to shine, but the Roosters playmaker was overshadowed by Dragons guns Jayden Sullivan and Treigh Stewart as St George Illawarra scored a 30-18 reserve grade win over the Tricolours at Wentworth Park on Sunday.
After starting the season with three wins and three losses, the 52 game Walker was dropped to reserve grade for the Roosters’ Anzac Day clash with the Dragons on Tuesday.
Despite going up 12-0 after just seven minutes, Walker endured a frustrating afternoon as the Dragons fought back to score the next 26 points and claim their second win of the season.
Walker’s woes were summed up in the final minutes of the match when he was put through a gap, and looked set to score under the posts, but the pass was called forward.

Meanwhile, Dragons playmaker Sullivan slotted three conversions and played a key role in mounting the Red V’s comeback.
Sullivan, who played the first three games of the NRL season at five-eighth alongside Ben Hunt before Talatau Amone’s return, made a point of speaking to Walker after fulltime.
“I just said to your head up and keep going, because I know it’s pretty tough,” Sullivan told CODE Sports.
“He’s obviously played a bit more first grade than I have, but I’ve been in his position as well.
“I really feel for him. There’s a lot of pressure on that kid’s shoulders and he’ll probably dwell on it a little bit.
“He’s a competitor and he competed for 80 minutes today and made me a better player as well.”

Sullivan and fullback Stewart were constant dangers for the Dragons, who took a 22-12 lead into the sheds, and scored in the first minute after halftime as the Roosters’ former Origin forward Nathan Brown was in the sin bin.
A converted try to Roosters centre Ethan Clark-Wood in the 62nd minute narrowed the gap to six points, but Dragons winger Alexander Lobb sealed it with a try in the corner with 14 minutes remaining.
“I just told the boys to stay in the fight,” Sullivan said of the Dragons’ slow start. “Footy can change really fast, and it did.
“We just stuck to the game plan, kicked for the corners, didn’t make errors and we went into the half with a lead.
“At halftime, we had a really strong emphasis on starting fast, and we scored the first points after the break.
“We made it hard for ourselves by dropping the ball a lot in the second half, but that’s footy sometimes when you’re playing reserve grade. It’s something we’ve gotta fix up.

While Sullivan was a standout as the Dragons moved to eighth on the ladder, he’s still looking for consistency ahead of next weekend’s clash with the second-placed Bulldogs.
“I let that game get away from me a little bit in the second half there,” he said.
“I’ve just gotta stay in the moment, and stay present. I can’t live off one half of footy and hope that gets me back into first grade.
“I’ve gotta string two halves and some games together to get back there.”
He's got to be the long-term halfback. Maybe we can give Hook the tiniest bit of credit for telling Sully the things he has to work on in reserve grade. Problem is, Hunt is on the books for 2 more years after this and Bud is ready to go in first grade if not now, very soon!

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Not sure Sully will be long term. I had wraps on Braxton Hall after watching him in a couple of Flegg games last year, has not been spotted this year after being named as the Ressie starting half. Probably a long term injury. There is also a kid, Nick Quinn in the Dragons (St George) Ball side who also looks a good organiser. I keep saying we need that above all else from our half back, someone to take charge and steer us around the paddock.

Last edited: